IGNORED

Tipping in Restaurants and Bars

Bad Robot 2045

See my cost analysis reports and discussion:

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/287951-cost-comparison-thailand-vs-philippines-financial-analysis-part-vi/

Everything is automated at this point.

I have a better accounting system.

I check my SCB account at start of trip, add whatever cash is in my pocket to that amount and then deduct the balance at the end of my trip to find out how much I spent, then add on extras like GBP for return taxi fare to LHR from home.

Easy peasy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a meal in restaurant the other night. The bill was 1560 baht and i paid with 2000 baht. The change came back as 240 not 440 baht. Now i probably would have left 1-200 baht tip anyway but as the chose to take it i left nothing. Normally i would leave @ 10% unless they piss me off like here.

And why wouldn't you tell them about it? 1. It could be an honest mistake on their part. or 2. You read the bill wrong. Wouldn't you want to know for sure?

I tip for good service, if I don't get good service(good meaning good not fantastic or superb) they wont see me again so it doesn't bother me.

I have a better accounting system.

I check my SCB account at start of trip, add whatever cash is in my pocket to that amount and then deduct the balance at the end of my trip to find out how much I spent, then add on extras like GBP for return taxi fare to LHR from home.

Easy peasy

Yep

Back of a ciggy packet

Job done

Hotel Housekeeping - 40 baht per day.

Is this what you guys tip housekeeping? I tip like 100 baht a week and sometimes I forget to tip at all. Keep in mind, I am not like most that ask for additional towels. 

To the OP, like everything "up to you"

Tipping is ingrained into American culture (waiters/waitresses are paid less than the legal minimum wage b/c they are expected to make up the difference in tips), but it is not n many (most?) other countries.  I'll sometimes ask the Thai girl with me what an appropriate amount to tip is....I'm sure the servers don't like that! 555

It's a habit of mine that I cannot break while in Thailand, although I don't tip nearly as much there as I do at home (I'm a solid 20%+ guy while here in the U.S.)

In bars, I will tip waitresses who were fun/friendly/made my time more enjoyable 100 baht (maybe more) if I was there for a while or am BFing a girl.  I'll put it in her hand as suggested above.  I'll typically tip 20 baht-100 baht on the bin itself, depending upon the size.  If BFing girl, I will sometimes (not every time) give her a couple of 100 baht bills to give to mamasans and her friends to gain her some face.  I'm not going to sweat the $6 to $8, and it usually seems to be appreciated by all involved.

Interesting that you tip the front desk staff -- never really thought about it, but I assume they really appreciated it.

I have tipped when they have assisted me with something special, but not just as a general rule at checkout.

Maybe THAT'S why I'm not getting good room upgrades?  555

Is this what you guys tip housekeeping? I tip like 100 baht a week and sometimes I forget to tip at all. Keep in mind, I am not like most that ask for additional towels. 

I try to find the maid on my first day, ask for extra towels - 4 per day (usually don't use them, but good to have just in case) - and slide her 100 baht.  The "up front" tip has worked out very well for me, and I can't recall thinking later "damn....I wasted that money!"

Thereafter, when I see them, I will usually give her another 40 baht if she's been taking care of my room or if I have had the do not disturb sign on and she's been waiting to clean my room.  Last trip, I tried to get some work done during the day, so I would ask them to clean my room when I was heading out to grab a bite or take care of some stuff.  Would slip her 40 baht at those times, assuming I saw her.

Otherwise, I usually try to leave the equivalent of about 20 baht/day at the end of my trip.

If you have a legal minimum wage then how can they get paid below it?

Isn't that illegal?

No, because they factor in the anticipated tips, then total that all up on their paychecks.  If the total wage + tips falls short of the required minimum wage, the employer kicks it up to the minimum wage.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour (states can have it higher, like CA does), but it's only $2.13/hour for waiters/waitresses (or anyone who receives at least $30/month in tips)

I assume housekeepers/maids in hotels get around it because their tips are not pooled or reported, and tipping them is far less common.

No, because they factor in the anticipated tips, then total that all up on their paychecks.

In San Francisco, they passed a law that all restaurant workers must be paid minimum wage. The Golden Gate Restaurant Association is still fuming.

Interesting that you tip the front desk staff -- never really thought about it, but I assume they really appreciated it.

I have a special relationship with some of the desk staff and have known them for years. Also, I'm fluent in Thai and they say "Welcome to your home away from home" when I check-in. In addition, I bring them shea butter hand cream, chocolate, and almonds from home, and I've tipped 1000 baht upon checkout at times, or just apply the deposit towards the tip.

The hotel does not take credit cards, and they do take care of me. When the hotel is fully-booked, and I call or email them in high season, they'll always monitor the situation and get me into a room, even if they have to do a juggling act of moving others around.

I like making them happy, and it makes the stay more pleasant.

In San Francisco, they passed a law that all restaurant workers must be paid minimum wage. The Golden Gate Restaurant Association is still fuming.

Yep.. Every state is different. Some states have a mininum cash wage and tips get applied to it to meet the minimum federal wage.

After visiting other countries, I think tipping is stupid. Just increase pay and prices to compensate so that way no one has to worry if they are tipping enough or if they got enough tip.

I think it was bourne out of an American's want to get extra service (such as more towels, service first, etc).

I always look at what others tip, and then I tip a little more.

Has never gotten me in to trouble with the staff.

I have a special relationship with some of the desk staff and have known them for years. Also, I'm fluent in Thai and they say "Welcome to your home away from home" when I check-in. In addition, I bring them shea butter hand cream, chocolate, and almonds from home, and I've tipped 1000 baht upon checkout at times, or just apply the deposit towards the tip.

The hotel does not take credit cards, and they do take care of me. When the hotel is fully-booked, and I call or email them in high season, they'll always monitor the situation and get me into a room, even if they have to do a juggling act of moving others around.

I like making them happy, and it makes the stay more pleasant.

I figured you were a repeat guest -- I would think that kind of treatment goes a long way.  Good move!

I think it's a little like a situation I used to have in Texas.  My friend's cousin owned a restaurant, and he would always comp our food.  We would then tip like 50%+ of whatever the tab should have been to the waiters, so everyone was happy (well...I don't know about the cousin who gave away the free food! 555)  

when they have pay fast food counter workers 15 per hour, which will cost the restaurant 30 per hour, then expect less workers and more expensive food .......you will pay one way or another

I always look at what others tip, and then I tip a little more.

Has never gotten me in to trouble with the staff.

So if no one around you finishes before you do you sit there and wait for them before you leave a tip?

So if no one around you finishes before you do you sit there and wait for them before you leave a tip?

That or I ask someone.

Never known a serving staff not to have information at hand ... then I add a little more :)

• 1 month later...

I try to tip like the Thai people tip the people that serve them.  Other times I tip according to the quality of product and service. Tipping is up to you.

• 4 weeks later...

No mention is made at this topic about those businesses which add 10% "service charge"  to the bill.  What's that for?  I don't want to hassle the service staff or be misunderstood so I never ask.  But in years past there was no "service charge" and I was usually glad to generously tip.  Now....

No mention is made at this topic about those businesses which add 10% "service charge"  to the bill.  What's that for?  I don't want to hassle the service staff or be misunderstood so I never ask.  But in years past there was no "service charge" and I was usually glad to generously tip.  Now....

It's common practice in many restaurants in countries where tipping is not part of the culture.

It's common practice in many restaurants in countries where tipping is not part of the culture.

So kinda sorta forced tipping?

Archived