IGNORED

Tipping in Restaurants and Bars

Bad Robot 2045

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tip is not required.  It is an American custom.  Tip if you feel like it.

Tip is not required.  It is an American custom.  Tip if you feel like it.

Why are so many Australians and Europeans tipping then?

I would venture to guess more than 90%

I only tip if an effort to provide good service has been made, otherwise they can get stuffed !

Had one sour faced bitch last year who made a snide remark when I tipped her 20 baht on a 80 baht meal, " only 20 baht !! She shouts.

"No dearie" i said and snapped my 20 baht back , "zero baht you ungrateful bitch!!!

S orry but some of us have to work too hard for our money to be given away to simeone who doesnt want to put any effort into their job.

I really think some of you feel obligated to tip ... Even if your given lacklustre service.

But what really gets up my bum ( apart from big black dicks) is when you have these bleeding heart farangs that want to make you feel bad for not tipping or not tipping enough.

I never forget the time my ex ex ex Thai boyfriend who owned a laundry in South Pattaya plus the building it was in ( about 12 million baht at the time) was tipped 100 baht by a old Aussie pensioner who had rose tinted glasses on but really couldnt afford to tip but wanted his mates to think he was generous .

I got his 100 baht back and i approached him later and told him to wake up to his bloody self!!

i tip when the service is good only .

Thai people don't tip ,the enven check the bill carefouly ,  but sometimes when they are in group and one (the rich) pay the bill and wants to show he has money .

I see also thais girls in disco tipping a lot but not in a way to say "thanks"  but in a way to say "respect me " . 

Why are so many Australians and Europeans tipping then?

I would venture to guess more than 90%

This maybe what you have observed in Pattaya but in Australia tipping is not required.  You don't have to tip a taxi driver, at a restaurant, or a waitress serving coffee.  I can't speak for Europe over all but I don't remember being required to tip when I was in England or Holland.

I could go on about the history of tipping and why it is an American custom but really don't have the energy to bother.  I have no issue if you tip or don't.  It is your choice.

This maybe what you have observed in Pattaya but in Australia tipping is not required.  You don't have to tip a taxi driver, at a restaurant, or a waitress serving coffee. 

Makes it even more of a mystery.

Why do Australians coming from a no tipping culture to another no tipping culture and suddenly start tipping?

Makes it even more of a mystery.

Why do Australians coming from a no tipping culture to another no tipping culture and suddenly start tipping?

There are several different reasons for this.  And it is not that Australians suddenly start tipping.  It does happen here but it not expected or required.  If you feel obliged to tip go for it.  I have no interest in arguing the point.  Do as you please.

There are several different reasons for this.  And it is not that Australians suddenly start tipping.  It does happen here but it not expected or required.  If you feel obliged to tip go for it.  I have no interest in arguing the point.  Do as you please.

I certainly do as I please and that is to always tip more than the guy next to me. :)

I know several and have been in the company of many more Australians over the year in Pattaya and almost all (if not all tip).

Why are they deviating from their own culture when coming to another that has same sentiments?

I certainly do as I please and that is to always tip more than the guy next to me. :)

I know several and have been in the company of many more Australians over the year in Pattaya and almost all (if not all tip).

Why are they deviating from their own culture when coming to another that has same sentiments?

Ask them next time you are with one.  I can't answer for them.

• 3 months later...

I give always the coins you get because they ran out of small notes when returning the change, something like a running gag :D

At beer bars between 20 THB up to 100 THB - it depends how many beer and how long we have been there.

At restaurants between 40 THB up to about 100 THB. If the service is outstanding it can be even a little bit more.

But there is no rule that you have to tip 10% or 20% - we are not in U.S.! :Think1:

As an American, I like to tip, but only when the service is excellent. Even in the States, I won't tip if the service wasn't good. During my 5 years in Korea, my tips were well received. During my travels in SE Asia, I've followed the same rules for tipping and feel no regret for not tipping when the service doesn't reflect it. :)

Note: Sometimes, when the service is truly top-notch with extra effort, I'll tip extravagantly. I've been know to tip 500-1,000 baht to certain taxi drivers and others.

Americans love to tip.

Others love to have the tip forced on them as in "included in the price" before the service has even been completed.

In places like NZ you agree to a set tip (or service charge) at the moment you order your food or beverage.

Archived