Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tipping in Restaurants and Bars

Bad Robot 2045

What is the expected tip percentage in Thailand/Pattaya in restaurants and bars?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Up to you' , this isn't the States .

Bars ... 5 Bht a drink is a bit the norm .

Restaurants ... diner 4 people ... 100Bht .   

What is the expected tip percentage in Thailand/Pattaya in restaurants and bars?

When you experience the service levels you won't want to leave anything.

Keep in mind, the service staff is paid very little money.

I always tip at least 10% as a standard, but those that have empathy sometimes elect to tip what they would deem reasonable if the situation were reversed.

Everyone's entitled to good day from time-to-time, and this is a low-cost way to make someone happy.

I tip early and often in Thailand.

Some guys freak out about tipping people ( cheap Charlie's )

I will always tip. maids in hotels at start of trip . I want four towels each time they clean loom.

Tip in bars 20/30/50

Restaurants are same

If you want tip the individual. Put it in their hand . Otherwise it goes in the Tip jar

Not sure what's 'expected' but the people serving are going to be earning very little on the whole so anything will be appreciated.

In a beer bar, if I've had one or two beers I'd generally leave 20 baht - I want the coins for baht bus anyway so leaving 20 baht note is fine. If I've been in one bar for longer then I'd probably leave more.

If service in restaurant has been OK, then around 10% (rounded up) is a good starting point. If the meal is under 200 baht I won't leave less than 20. Leaving an extra 20 or so on top if service is good is fine as well.

In the end though, whatever you feel you want to leave. As you're American probably at least 20% :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I love it when they never give you small notes or coins in with the change.

Or at the other end of the scale when they give you loads of 1 baht coins.

When you experience the service levels you won't want to leave anything.

:LOL2:

Robw

I usually tip 20 baht in restaurants as most of my meals are less than 100 baht.  No idea if it's the expected amount but I usually tip around the same in the go-go's.  Do what feels right for you .

Restaurants I tip 20 up to 500 baht meal.. 500+ I will tip 40. Bars I will tip similarly. If I am paying by the drink, I will tip 10-20 depending on what I get back.

Had a meal in restaurant the other night. The bill was 1560 baht and i paid with 2000 baht. The change came back as 240 not 440 baht. Now i probably would have left 1-200 baht tip anyway but as the chose to take it i left nothing.  Normally i would leave @ 10% unless they piss me off like here.

I'm usaualy 20฿ or 100฿ if meals come to over 1k....My pet hate is when you pay and they bring back the change envelope and give it to the missus, when they know you've paid as they do stand and watch who's paying..I fucking hate that, I always tell the wife, if she gives you the change I'm not tipping..She just laughs as I end up leaving a tip anyway but I do hate that...

Thanks for the info and the funny remarks.  I know they make very little so I sure as hell don't care to tip them well if they are nice and provide good service.

I can concur that it's best to sneak the tip into their hand directly. Otherwise the boss will take it. 

And I only tip for good service. If you they just throw a plate of food at me without any other service it's no tip. 

I can concur that it's best to sneak the tip into their hand directly. Otherwise the boss will take it. 

No, the boss does not take it;  It goes into the tip box, and distributed among the service staff.  Tipping in hand is a peer-to-peer direct tip.

If i'm at a beer bar & have had a few drinks i'll always tip 20B....the same amount if i'm eating (with another) in a restaurant, though if there's 3-4 (or more) people then 60B+ is sufficient IMO.    

And I only tip for good service. If you they just throw a plate of food at me without any other service it's no tip. 

Where do you get that idea from?

You keep a record of every tip you make and on which day?

Archived