IGNORED

Tipping in Restaurants and Bars

Bad Robot 2045

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever seen a Thai tip with their hard earned money?  

Yes

No mention is made at this topic about those businesses which add 10% "service charge" to the bill. What's that for? I don't want to hassle the service staff or be misunderstood so I never ask. But in years past there was no "service charge" and I was usually glad to generously tip. Now....

Basically they take their own tip - it's used more or less everywhere in Singapore, but still only few places here.

I never leave an additional tip at those places - except if I get some rubbish coins that can't even be used in vending machines.

Coming from a country where we don't tip but pay people a proper salary, I dislike the tipping culture. It doesn't do anything good.

In regard to tipping in Thailand - I let the girlfriend handle it most of the time, and she rarely tips more than 20 baht plus some small coins - but only if the service has been good.

I just round the beer bin out of habit up so it is usually 20 - 50 but if there is say a 50, 20 and a 10 in the change, I keep the 50 and the 10 for the baht bus and as I usually eat from street carts I do tip but by the time I eat I am usually so pissed I let the girlie deal with the food and tip.

Basically they take their own tip - it's used more or less everywhere in Singapore, but still only few places here.

I never leave an additional tip at those places - except if I get some rubbish coins that can't even be used in vending machines.

Coming from a country where we don't tip but pay people a proper salary, I dislike the tipping culture. It doesn't do anything good.

Whenever I dine in Denmark there is a note on the menu that "Tips are included in the prices" or "Driggepenge er inkluderet I priserne"

In fact weighting staff does get a percentage, except the customer does not have a choice as to how much.

Whenever I dine in Denmark there is a note on the menu that "Tips are included in the prices" or "Driggepenge er inkluderet I priserne"

In fact weighting staff does get a percentage, except the customer does not have a choice as to how much.

You happen to be Danish with that username?

Tipping is not commonly used in Denmark. They are trying to sneak it in by giving the customers an option of adding a tip when paying with credit card.

If you have seen on a menu card that tip is included in the price, I think it would have been in a tourist area. VAT is also included in the listed price - they are required by law to do so, when they sell to private people.

If the waiters get a percentage of sale, I believe it's called commission salary in English (provisionslønnet in Danish) which has nothing to do with tipping.

I try to tip like the Thai people tip the people that serve them.

In my experience Thai people do not tip in normal restaurants.

If the bill is 410 baht, they will pay 410 baht. They won't say keep the change or small coins.

Is that accurate ?

You happen to be Danish with that username?

Tipping is not commonly used in Denmark. They are trying to sneak it in by giving the customers an option of adding a tip when paying with credit card.

If you have seen on a menu card that tip is included in the price, I think it would have been in a tourist area. VAT is also included in the listed price - they are required by law to do so, when they sell to private people.

If the waiters get a percentage of sale, I believe it's called commission salary in English (provisionslønnet in Danish) which has nothing to do with tipping.

I am Danish and happily remotely so.

Not a tourist unless visiting an average restaurant in Holstebro makes me that

While in DK the restaurant business was a serious consideration of mine and as part of my "study" whether to enter that business salary, tip (drikkepenge) and commission was part of it and to this day I know more than a handful of restaurant owners and operators.

The government indeed (in its infinite wisdom) did manage to intact  a law (Markedsføringsloven) that prohibits "adding" or expecting tips, and that mainly so to tax ALL revenues.

The political organization in DK HORESTA still govern rules for waiters "union" wages, but that covers less than 25% or restaurants and hotels has agreed to that agreement (overenskomst) and therefor more that 75% of waiters still rely on the tip that is either forced upon the customer (included in the price) or left behind.

Just because something is included does not meant you do not pay it, only that you are left without a choice.

Just because something is included does not meant you do not pay it, only that you are left without a choice.

Well... I pay for whatever my receipt tells me I have payed for. How they distribute the money (tax, bonus, commission etc) is irrelevant and non of my concern or business.

A tip is given voluntarily (even though you might be expected to tip) or it shows up as a service charge (which I'm actually not sure goes to the "working" staff) on my receipt.

I will maintain that we do not have a tipping culture in Denmark - unless it has changed in the last three years. It's ok for me if we disagree on that ;-)

This is not the USA nor is it any other country where tipping is not normal.  That said, this is Pattaya , not necessarily "real" Thailand.

In the main tourist areas, tips are expected, been like that for years. IMO...if there is a service charge added to the bill, a tip will be minimal or nothing. In other situations, I always tip something...yes to housekeeping, yes to beer bars, yes to full serve restaurants ( not fast food or take away ).  Bear in mind, Thais have great memories , so if you plan to frequent a certain place, it may be wise to loosen up the wallet a bit.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Reading the comments ....its clear some people want to tip and some people are just desperate for thai people to like them 555

If i get a hello and a smile, they get a tip. If they don't, they don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certain threads always seems to spiral in to a black or white debate, and tipping is one of them.

Advocate tipping especially in tourist areas others may claim that people that tip anything are near idiots.

I have asked this question about tipping of many Thais very few of which were bar girls, but middleclass Thais (mainly in Bangkok) some of whom have seen to USA more than once and fully understand that system.

The fact is that Thais do tip in certain situation.

The most notorious is massage where tipping is "near always" done, but Thais definitely less.

In "Higher End" restaurants tipping is common and in lower end near never.

In trying to understand a Thais definition of higher-end answers are commonly something like full service, aircon and place settings and tipping is not like the US. When pressing for a number 5% seems to be in range.

A distributor I had in Bangkok (a woman) would often take guys to higher end clubs, making sure there were LD's for the duration. I noticed that he always tipped, but it did not seem as much and when I asked what was normal she told me that she subtracted LD's and a couple of other things from the total and tipped about 10% on the rest.

A bar girl is rarely a good source, though some do understand. Most dine in eateries that does not "qualify" as higher-end.

Other than the above that is near the end of customary tipping in Thailand, though I have been given a few examples like if someone in the service sector perform and additional service at no charge. For example going for a manicure and after the beautician offer the do a minor trim to the hair. No tip expected, but even a Thai may give 5 or 10 baht.

You will see lots of bar girls tipping generously especially when its the guys money they are using to do so.  The reasons for this clearly are not related to Thai tipping culture.

Mr DK summed it up pretty well. I would add that the higher end establishments he described represent a fairly low percentage of where normal Thais hang out so for swathes of the population tipping would be absent or small value such as the coinage in the change..

What people see happen in Pattaya is not representative of Thailand at large

If service is good i have usually tipped in Thailand about 10%, had nothing problem with that...

No mention is made at this topic about those businesses which add 10% "service charge" to the bill. What's that for? I don't want to hassle the service staff or be misunderstood so I never ask. But in years past there was no "service charge" and I was usually glad to generously tip. Now....

I was thinking about this the other day in the UK I have herd you don't have to pay it, not that I have ever done this

I know the staff don't get this money so can I refuse to pay it or is it law?

Because I won't pay both a service charge and a tip

Dose anyone know the law on this matter?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The more I go to Thailand.. the less I tip in the restaurants and bars. After I pay, I just take the bills and leave the change (coins) now. I don't even bother to take the 10 baht coins for the baht bus anymore. I just pay with a 20 bill and get 10 baht back. If I have close to the bin amount, I don't even leave a tip at all. Even going to the same places repeatedly. I don't notice any lower level of service nor do I get any dirty looks for not tipping enough like out in the West.

• 3 weeks later...

i do not tip !!   

maybe leave the small change but that is it.

i do not tip !!   

maybe leave the small change but that is it.

So which is it?

Both-Sides-of-Your-Mouth1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that those who provide service are often dependent on tip income and generally are grateful for any tips received,

especially when prompt and exceptional service has been provided. 

Tipping is the means by which to acknolwedge good service.

Keep in mind that those who provide service are often dependent on tip income and generally are grateful for any tips received,

Sounds like a Western mindset. In Asia, tipping is not the norm and they don't get paid depending on their tips.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

If my bill is say 85 baht, I will pay 100. If my bill is 900 baht I will pay 1000.

I much rather carry my own luggage to my room, but if they oblige (which they normally do) I tip between 20-50 as they are more than likely on low salary. It is only something I need to worry about when checking in, so not a big deal.

I thought their wages was for good service. So if you don't tip bad service is OK?

Archived