IGNORED

No more in-out border runs to Cambodia?

brewster

Even with visa?

Great. I should have just come with the 30 day exemption like I originally planned. Now my passport is sitting on someone's desk at the embassy, waiting to get it back, and they emailed me asking when i plan to use my 2nd entry.  I just want to spend as much time as I can there and now these laws are changing right before I arrive :(

No laws have been changed AFAIK, no need, it's all about implementation.

One more time............

Lots of guys using them to work here illegally and they cracked down on it before.

Multi-entry TVs are meant for tourists who come here, then travel somewhere else, then come back.

They're not intended for continuous stay and if that's how you use them you can't complain if they reel you in now and again.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with visa?

Great. I should have just come with the 30 day exemption like I originally planned. Now my passport is sitting on someone's desk at the embassy, waiting to get it back, and they emailed me asking when i plan to use my 2nd entry.  I just want to spend as much time as I can there and now these laws are changing right before I arrive :(

Not at all mate, what's the harm in paying $45 (that's what it costs in Ozz) to be able to stay for 60 days without having to worry about border runs etc, then getting a 30 day extension, all without leaving the country.

Cheers

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Slightly OT, but has anyone heard any more about the 6 month visa exemption on arrival for 5k baht that was touted a while back?

Cheers

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On my way to the airport now going to Ho Chi Minh City for 1 night and return tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be ok when im coming bach and activate my 2nd entry.

Go a flight for just under 4k thb and 1.30 hour flight seems to be ok.

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

Won't be long before it's back to 'normal' as there are a few people missing the money that comes in from the '1500Bht visas' ... 

That figure will be raised eventually, I've been expecting it all this year and I'm surprised actually it hasn't happened already. I certainly don't have any insider information on this but my guess is before too long to get retirement extensions - no more income statements from embassies accepted and 1.3 million THB in a Thai bank account. 

For new applicants it has probably been 10 years or more since they last raised the bar?

There is nothing written in stone, but I believe in the past they have always "grandfathered" the requirements at the time you originally made application for your extension of stay based on retirement?

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

friend just been to border in cambodia.. well he on way back now on bus.. they wouldn't stamp anyone... gutted...

im meant to be going in few days... the visa company isnt recommending relying on it changing

can i get bus somewhere.. stay few days then fly in?

ho chi minh city could be interesting i guess

You can get return flights between BKK and SGN for under 4000 baht with Jetstar.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

just found bkk > saigon 1500 one way.. might stay a few days book return when i want it :)

cant believe visa lady sent people to border for them to have stamp refused.. she said bkk police turned up in the morning or something

Not sure what your nationality is?

If British then no Visa now required for Vietnam for stays of up to (I think) 15 days.

Otherwise, check requirements for your country.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

friend just been to border in cambodia.. well he on way back now on bus.. they wouldn't stamp anyone... gutted...

im meant to be going in few days... the visa company isnt recommending relying on it changing

can i get bus somewhere.. stay few days then fly in?

ho chi minh city could be interesting i guess

Just been to Ho Chi minh City spend 1 night there and flew back no question asked at Don Muang when i returned

Ticket cost me 3940thb total with Air Asia.

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

Another option is that you can fly from U-Tapao to KL with Air Asia. One-way for Friday is 2150 Baht. Less travelling time to the airport and as it is a very small terminal there would be no need to be there 2 hours before.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

nice suggestions! im british so yeah no visa for vietnam is great.

my visa lady has said the run is on tomorrow... ive said ill do it.. 6am til 4pm.. if it messes up .. refund.. doesn't bother me as much as others maybe as i'll just stay up all night.. sleep the first bit and then get through a book by the time im back :)

ill update you guys how it goes!

nice suggestions! im british so yeah no visa for vietnam is great. my visa lady has said the run is on tomorrow... ive said ill do it.. 6am til 4pm.. if it messes up .. refund.. doesn't bother me as much as others maybe as i'll just stay up all night.. sleep the first bit and then get through a book by the time im back :)ill update you guys how it goes!

Let us know how it goes. Also I'd be interested to know if any Laos citizens are on the run.

For new applicants it has probably been 10 years or more since they last raised the bar?

There is nothing written in stone, but I believe in the past they have always "grandfathered" the requirements at the time you originally made application for your extension of stay based on retirement?

Right, last raised about 10 years ago, during the reign of Takky. In my experience with Thailand these sorts of things are not increased frequently like in our countries, but tend to go up around a decade. That's why I'm expecting a raise soon. Not too sure about being "grandfathered". I wouldn't bank on that.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Right, last raised about 10 years ago, during the reign of Takky. In my experience with Thailand these sorts of things are not increased frequently like in our countries, but tend to go up around a decade. That's why I'm expecting a raise soon. Not too sure about being "grandfathered". I wouldn't bank on that.

That would be one more blow to the real estate market ....., why ...? take the example : an expat retiree who is not rich or poor , has his 800000 baht on the Thai bank, complete or in combination method ...., the man has even 1 500 000 baht more cash available .... buy's a medium condo from that price thinking he is in a comfortable situation ..., and sudden a power Somchai raise his limit for extension as a retired person 50+ to 1300 000 baht ( the number suggested as example .) a sudden he is 500 000 , half a million baht short for his next extension ...in 1 or 11 months to expectorate.. up depending his time frame to extension date .

I think if many candidate buyers think about this possibility they would hesitate and stop buying ..... and we all know how unpredictable Thailand is .....

unless for shooting their own foot as usual .

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

i got my first one year extension in march 1998 needed 500'ooo in the bank

they raised it to 800000 in oct 1998

mine has been grandfathered and i still only need 500k in the bank.

the guy at yearly extension always reminds me but as i have a lot more than required it doesnt effect me

any holes a goal

That would be one more blow to the real estate market ....., why ...? take the example : an expat retiree who is not rich or poor , has his 800000 baht on the Thai bank, complete or in combination method ...., the man has even 1 500 000 baht more cash available .... buy's a medium condo from that price thinking he is in a comfortable situation ..., and sudden a power Somchai raise his limit for extension as a retired person 50+ to 1300 000 baht ( the number suggested as example .) a sudden he is 500 000 , half a million baht short for his next extension ...in 1 or 11 months to expectorate.. up depending his time frame to extension date .

I think if many candidate buyers think about this possibility they would hesitate and stop buying ..... and we all know how unpredictable Thailand is .....

unless for shooting their own foot as usual .

How much for his Condo'? 555

&amp;amp;nbsp;<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="OnTheEdge" data-cid="3295651" data-time="1443064937" data-date="Today, 10:22 AM"><p>How much for his Condo'? 555</p></blockquote>&amp;amp;nbsp;Nothing good for you ,possible to far from your favorite GOGO ....!

i got my first one year extension in march 1998 needed 500'ooo in the bank they raised it to 800000 in oct 1998mine has been grandfathered and i still only need 500k in the bank.the guy at yearly extension always reminds me but as i have a lot more than required it doesnt effect me

So 1998 they raised it to 800 000 , 17 years past....!!! Better we start saving our penny's then , something could become reality ......

// I think if many candidate buyers think about this possibility they would hesitate and stop buying ..... and we all know how unpredictable Thailand is .....

Thailand has always grandfathered its old immigration rules when a change in requirements has been made. They are still retired people whose requirement is 500'000 or 200'000 baht only, not 800'000. There is absolutely no reason to think it will be different for the next requirement increase.

Edit: Didn't see sexy man's post above before posting. So at least 2 to agree on "grandfathered rules" :)

My friend in Thailand has a girlfriend in Cambodia. He asked her to come and visit him and she got a 3 month visa and took a van to the border with Thailand.

They told her she needed to have 10,000 baht with her before they would let her in. She only had about $100. So she apparently talked to a lot of people there and got some kind of special VIP visa for 800 baht which allowed her to enter Thailand.

These rules are changing so quickly it's hard to keep track.

// They told her she needed to have 10,000 baht with her before they would let her in.

// These rules are changing so quickly it's hard to keep track.

It's not a new rule. The requirement 10'000 baht per person (or 20'000 baht per family) existed already more than 10 years ago.

You can find this requirement on this MFA page: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html even if some points of this FAQ are now obsolete.

In practice the officer at the airport must really be suspicious on something about you to ask for this proof of finances. Farang tourists are very rarely asked for it. For tourist from nearby countries it's more frequent, and it's nearly systematic if the person if a young woman alone (battle against human trafficking).

It's not a new rule. The requirement 10'000 baht per person (or 20'000 baht per family) existed already more than 10 years ago.

That's interesting.. she's been making the same trip a few times a year for about 7 years and this is the first time she's been asked for the money. She's a cute little Cambodian lady not looking like a terrorist at all.

I guess that it's all part of this crackdown (plus the new emphasis on looking out for human trafficking) Rules are being taken out and dusted off and enforced.

Archived