IGNORED

No more in-out border runs to Cambodia?

brewster

My girlfriend is from Laos and does a monthly border run to Cambodia for her monthly stamp.  The bus is usually full of other Laotians and farangs.  She was told today that it couldn't be done any more, due to the tightening up of the border following the Bangkok bomb.  Only those with proper visas will be allowed to leave/re-enter Thailand.

I would imagine that this will affect a few others.  Can anyone, especially the visa experts/professionals, confirm?

Looks like she'll have to make an expensive visa run to Vientiene.  Hopefully, when the bomb scare has calmed down, things will be back to normal.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Brewster. Border runs were always against the spirit of Visa extensions/activations being granted.  Suspect like you though a temporary measure

What's expensive ... ? 

800Bht bus to Udon , 200Bht minibus to the border , 50Bht tuk tuk to town . 

Cheap hotel and vice versa the other day . 

Why not get her a proper visa next time so she can stay up to 3 months ? 

While I agree everyone should get a proper visa, the reason why they are doing this is beyond me. Do they really think this will stop potential terrorists entering the country? Or perhaps it's an attempt to distract the attention regarding them being extremely corrupted? One of the suspects of the bombing paid 20.000+ THB to enter the country. This has of course nothing to do with in-out runners but all about corrupted IO. To me it's just another nail in the coffin. I feel less and less welcome here.

Reports: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

A large number of unconfirmed reports suggest that Immigration officers along the Thai-Cambodian border are no longer allowing Out/In border runs.

BANGKOK:-- Throughout the last 24 hours, Thaivisa.com has received reports that suggest officers at Immigration check points along the Thai-Cambodian border are no longer stamping visa exempt entries, and are therefore effectively closed for people wishing to complete an Out/In border run.

Reports started surfacing on Saturday afternoon (Sept 12), when several members posted similar information to the Thaivisa forum.

It remains unclear if this affects all land border checkpoints or only those on the Thai-Cambodian border.

It is also unclear if only those people staying in Thailand on visa exempt entries are affected or if this also impacts people who have a valid Tourist Visa.

This thread posted by a Thaivisa member says checkpoints along the Thai-Cambodian border, as well as the Phu Nam Ron checkpoint at Kanchanaburi, are no longer stamping 15 or 30 day waiver stamps, but are accepting those with a valid Multiple Entry Non-O or Tourist Visa.

More reports made to Thaivisa also seemed to confirm the information regarding the Thai-Cambodian border, and also suggested that those with valid Tourist Visas may also be affected.

Thaivisa forum member YuliyaSerg wrote (sic):

We called several visa run companies 2 hours ago, because we need to open our second part of double entry-tourist visa before 16th of September, and were planing to go to Cambodia on 14th September.

Both companies said only Laos now. After some time one company called back and said to wait tommorow, may be tommorow information will be more clear, and it wil be allowed to cross Cambodian border for people with valid visas only (open 2d part of tourist visas, etc.) If now, on 14th we need to go to Lao, it our last chance to open second part of our visas. Its really awful! We were not planing to go to La and have plans(((.

A post was also made in the Thaivisa Pattaya forum by member Nice Boyd, said he had spoke to a company offering visa services in Pattaya, where staff had informed him that all land border runs are suspended until Oct 1st.

It is important to stress that all reports remain unconfirmed at this stage and despite our best efforts late last night and early on Sunday morning, Thaivisa is yet to receive official confirmation from the Immigration Bureau.

Speculation is mounting that this sudden change in Immigration procedure along the Thai-Cambodian border in response to the Bangkok bombings.

Earlier this week, Thailand police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang revealed that Bangkok bomb suspect, Adem Karadag, had bribed his way into Thailand paying approximately 20,000 THB to enter using a fake passport.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

It goes deeper than this, many visa firms that offered "assisted" retirement visa are unable now to do so.  All those renewing a retirement visa just now will need to be able to meet the full requirements, with the backdoor access to a visa for those unable to meet the funding requirement closed.

Yeah this sucks, i was going to do one of these in a few weeks, I guess I'm heading to Vientiane one more time after all.

This has of course nothing to do with in-out runners but all about corrupted IO. To me it's just another nail in the coffin. I feel less and less welcome here.

Join the Club

I was supose to do a visa run tomorrow but was called from the visa company they told me that no visa run until next month and i dont know about what is a proper visa? I got a triple entry tv but was told the only way was to buy a airline ticket and fly out of thailand. Im good until the 18 so still have a couple of days to get it sorted out. TIT

Was told all the borders was closed so no chance to take a bus to Laos

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

I was supose to do a visa run tomorrow but was called from the visa company they told me that no visa run until next month and i dont know about what is a proper visa? I got a triple entry tv but was told the only way was to buy a airline ticket and fly out of thailand. Im good until the 18 so still have a couple of days to get it sorted out. TIT

Was told all the borders was closed so no chance to take a bus to Laos

www.thaivisa.com should have more info'.

I love it here but i must admit that the visa situation start to get to me.

Don't see the problem . Get an airline ticket to Phnom Penh , spend a few days there and fly back . 

Don't see the problem . Get an airline ticket to Phnom Penh , spend a few days there and fly back .

Yes Jerry i might do that, but i just mean if you live here and dont make plans fot travel around then it is easy to make a border run. Now i have to take a taxi go to bkk and take a plane book hotel. Before i go in the morning and come back in the afternoon. Maybe just me being a lazy bastard 5555

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

It goes deeper than this, many visa firms that offered "assisted" retirement visa are unable now to do so.  All those renewing a retirement visa just now will need to be able to meet the full requirements, with the backdoor access to a visa for those unable to meet the funding requirement closed.

Yep I was told the same Friday.. luckily I am ok 'til sept 2016. Plenty of time to get 800,000 transferred but some will not be so lucky or not have the funds immediately available..

My girlfriend is from Laos and does a monthly border run to Cambodia for her monthly stamp.  ....

Just curious ... Why doesn't your GF get a 90 day visa under the ASEAN rules? My TGF used to come to KL a lot and if I remember properly, she got 90 days. Also, she doesn't need a visa under ASEAN so why would they deny her entry?

Seems strange...

Yep I was told the same Friday.. luckily I am ok 'til sept 2016. Plenty of time to get 800,000 transferred but some will not be so lucky or not have the funds immediately available..

I wonder if the letter of monthly income, certified by one's Embassy, is still being accepted?

This is supposed to be the latest:

image.jpg

So, it's OK to get the out/in visa exemption as long as you haven't stayed 90 days on them in previous year.

They do seem to change the rules at a drop of a hat though!

Usually, one top official decides to do something and makes an announcement then they have to find a way to undo it without him losing too much face.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

This is supposed to be the latest:

So, it's OK to get the out/in visa exemption as long as you haven't stayed 90 days on them in previous year.

They do seem to change the rules at a drop of a hat though!

Usually, one top official decides to do something and makes an announcement then they have to find a way to undo it without him losing too much face.

Do you have a link?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I wonder if the letter of monthly income, certified by one's Embassy, is still being accepted?

I am pretty sure it is because it is " legal". I was referring to "workarounds"

If you are renewing on your own legally, i.e. you have the requisite bank deposit and or income you should be fine. The difficulty now is the scrutiny IO's are under regards bribes and backdoor visa issues. Some folks do not have the required funds or income but by paying a small amount can get a retirement visa via what is know as the backdoor. It is those people that are now facing a problem for the next week/month (s) till everything settles down. 

If you are renewing on your own legally, i.e. you have the requisite bank deposit and or income you should be fine. The difficulty now is the scrutiny IO's are under regards bribes and backdoor visa issues. Some folks do not have the required funds or income but by paying a small amount can get a retirement visa via what is know as the backdoor. It is those people that are now facing a problem for the next week/month (s) till everything settles down. 

Yes there is a key advertiser on Thaivisa and an expat's club that if you were to say what you have just posted would get you banned..

I went to Lao like 3 months ago - they told me I'd have to do the quick run to Cambodia.. in and out... in a few hours.... from that last update from 'thaivisaservice.com' i assume all is well... god this shit is annoying! 

Just curious ... Why doesn't your GF get a 90 day visa under the ASEAN rules? My TGF used to come to KL a lot and if I remember properly, she got 90 days. Also, she doesn't need a visa under ASEAN so why would they deny her entry?

Seems strange...

Laotians get an automatic, visa free, 30 days and can do monthly border runs to stay in Thailand.  My GF has been doing this without issue for nearly 5 years.  However, on Sunday she was told by the visa company she uses, that all in-out border runs were being stopped, including those for ASEAN nationals.  She's been left with no choice but to either go back to Laos and then try to return from there after a brief visit to her mum, or not bother and go "under the radar" (i.e. illegal).  Most Laotians do the latter!

She's on the bus to Laos tonight and I'm in charge of our son (with a little help!).

If things don't go back to normal by next month, we might have to consider a visa but this isn't really a long term answer.

This is supposed to be the latest...

Back to the future isn't it ... wasn't that the deal before the change to 15 days visa for border runs a few years back at which time they dropped the 90 days restriction?

Archived