IGNORED

best Fish and Chips?

At 295B how does that compare with Frydays cod and chips at 180B? I suppose Fryday's is smaller.

The piece of Grenadier I had for 150B was large enough for me, so maybe Jolly Friar's medium cod would be a similar size?

I thought it still represented good value as the piece of cod was huge, very filling. Based on eating at both places on consecutive days my opinion is that both places are good. The cod was fine at both although I probably preferred the batter used at The Jolly Fryer. However I preferred the chips at Frydays. The quality of fish is so variable even here in the UK so some variation would be inevitable with Atlantic cod imported into Thailand.

OnTheEdge, who probably correctly considers himself a F&C connoisseur was with me when I ordered the large cod and agreed with me that it looked great and the quantity was very generous even though he declined my offer to let him have first bite.

I'm happy to eat at both places.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GF says Catfish, so I will go with her   :)

I'm sure she's right, which leaves me somewhat sceptical as to what might be served here as Flake.

Can any Aussies confirm?

Only problem with that is that in Australia, home of the genuine article, there are reports that customers are being duped by fake imported 'Flake' and other favourites.

In a shocking revelation, former chef and food critic Matthew Evans has revealed that the flathead, barramundi, Pacific dory and prawns sold to Australians are sourced from South America or Asia........roughly 72 per cent of seafood that we eat is imported.

However the most distressing discovery for Mr Evans was that most of the fish or flake at local fish and chips shops are from South America.

http://www.marineconservation.org.au/news.php/374/what-are-you-really-buying-at-the-fish-shop-most-aussie-flathead-comes-from-south-america-barramundi

Genuine fresh Flake from Naklua Market....dream on Mr Nixon.

A few days ago I had excellent fish and chips with mushy peas at the Queen Vic Hotel Soi6.

I have no idea what type of fish it was but it was cooked well in batter. The chips and mushy peas also very good.

Special of the day 240b.

A few days ago I had excellent fish and chips with mushy peas at the Queen Vic Hotel Soi6.

I have no idea what type of fish it was but it was cooked well in batter. The chips and mushy peas also very good.

Special of the day 240b.

Pangasius Catfish at Queen Vic', farmed intensively in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam.

Pangasius Catfish at Queen Vic', farmed intensively in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam.

I will leave that to you I think

I'm sure she's right, which leaves me somewhat sceptical as to what might be served here as Flake.

Can any Aussies confirm?

What? The fish in your picture is a shark. Flake = shark, Basa = catfish, in Australia anyway.

What? The fish in your picture is a shark. Flake = shark, Basa = catfish, in Australia anyway.

I posted pics of what I believe is Gummy Shark/Flake in my posts 142 & 148.

Ever found it in Pattaya....as it is in Oz I mean.

Not familiar with Basa, but yes as per the article I linked - 

BASA: A native catfish of Vietnam's Mekong Delta, is imported to Australia and often sold as 'Pacific dory'.

I posted pics of what I believe is Gummy Shark/Flake in my posts 142 & 148.

Ever found it in Pattaya....as it is in Oz I mean.

BASA: A native catfish of Vietnam's Mekong Delta, is imported to Australia and often sold as 'Pacific dory'.

I couldn't say - 'flake' is pretty common here. I prefer to get a whole steamed snapper in Pattaya.

Yeah 'Basa' is what they call the Catfish here now - guess no one would buy it if they called it catfish. I have seen it as Pacific Dory in the past but not recently - maybe the real John Dory people got up them!

Lot of counterfeit fish out there! Then there are the issues of antibiotics in prawns and bad aquaculture practices tolerated in SEA that wouldn't meet our countries safety standards. Don't even get me started on 'employment' practices in the Thai fishing industry!

What a minefield.

Basa has been available in uk supermarkets for a couple of years now. Usually frozen and cheaper than the other options.

Basa has been available in uk supermarkets for a couple of years now. Usually frozen and cheaper than the other options.

Reports of cheap Pangasius or other catfish turning up all over Europe & US, usually passed off as something else.

To be fair, it's usually named correctly in the supermarkets here and only becomes John Dory or whatever once it's battered.

Still think unlikely there would be genuine Flake here...at a reasonable price.

Geez, I ordered fish and chips in some restaurant in Chiang Rai, and what I got was a big piece of tilapia or catfish, undercooked, with some bread crumbs sprinkled on top.

Cheers ... after reading this thread I thought it may have been a low quality fish.

However it was cooked well and still managed to taste good.

Eaten plenty of cod in Australia I didn't enjoy as much.

• 4 weeks later...

Those who remember having their Fish and Chips served in Newspaper might get a nostalgia kick from this video that's just been released form the vaults of The Beatles. It was actually intended as a proper promotional video for the song, it wasn't just pieced together after the event.

THE BEATLES-I FEEL FRIED

https://youtu.be/cJyYX6lZgN4

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

i am not going to say it's the best but as everyday is fryday in new plaza enters its 3rd year of trading the product is still on the money at 99 baht.

nov 10 010 (Custom).JPG

taken yesterday

i am not going to say it's the best but as everyday is fryday in new plaza enters its 3rd year of trading the product is still on the money at 99 baht.

attachicon.gifnov 10 010 (Custom).JPG

taken yesterday

Looks good,will try it in April.

Robw

• 2 weeks later...

Had the blue-grenadier twice here, during my recent trip, excellent quality/presentation/value-for-money which explains why they're always busy !

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, as I promised Dr.Rapscallion, after seeing what he got served, I returned to Jolly Friar after about a 2 year absence.

I ordered the Large Norwegian Cod & Chips at 295 Baht.

I understand blanching, but their 'chips' had been almost completely boiled before frying - edible but mushy and not really chips.

The Cod, on the other hand, I could not fault and they are back on my list.

20151126_133453.jpg

That was last week and on Tuesday I popped out to Nong Pla Lai jail to top someone's locker up for the HBD party today.

On the way back I cut through to Lake Mabprachan, where Layla's Place can be found. http://www.laylas-place.com/

Atlantic Cod, Chips & Mushy Peas - 295 Baht.......couldn't fault it.

20151203_124306.jpg20151203_124316.jpg

First of all, as I promised Dr.Rapscallion, after seeing what he got served, I returned to Jolly Friar after about a 2 year absence.

I understand blanching, but their 'chips' had been almost completely boiled before frying - edible but mushy and not really chips.

attachicon.gif20151126_133453.jpg

That was last week and on Tuesday I popped out to Nong Pla Lai jail to top someone's locker up for the HBD party today.

On the way back I cut through to Lake Mabprachan, where Layla's Place can be found. http://www.laylas-place.com/

attachicon.gif20151203_124306.jpgattachicon.gif20151203_124316.jpg

So a quarter half smile from Edge?

So a quarter half smile from Edge?

Don't be silly.....it wasn't 99 Baht.

-------------------

Did you really only get 8 soggy chips for your 295B at the Jolly Friar? The fish (well, the batter: couldnt see the insides) looked nice and a fair size but those chips are a pathetic joke.

Chips at Layla's look nice, but the fish portion looks very small.

295B is nearly GBP6, after all, and I expect a hell of a lot more than that for my money.

295B is nearly GBP6, after all, and I expect a hell of a lot more than that for my money.

Where? Pray tell?

Not even in the UK let alone here........unless of course you eat Pangasius Vietnam farm reared catfish of course. 

Fryday does a reasonable Cod & Chips for 180 Baht - frozen chips and extra for peas - best value, but not the best IMO.

Both of those posted before were good size Cod portions for Thailand IMO and both much bigger than Fryday's.

Those below in UK a month ago - Cod or Haddock - nothing less than 6 quid and one was 10 quid.

20151028_171144.jpg

20151030_125107.jpg

20151030_210535.jpg

20151031_120146.jpg

20151031_122324.jpg

Where? Pray tell?

Not even in the UK let alone here........unless of course you eat Pangasius Vietnam farm reared catfish of course. 

Cod and chips lunchtime special in a village just outside Bournemouth: GBP3.75

And very nice it is too.

As for here, for under 300B I can go to hundreds of places and get a very good meal, many in buffet style offering many courses. It was the quality/quantity of those chips that looked particularly poor value to me for 295B. Maybe you are just very easily pleased.

And very nice it is too.

As for here, for under 300B I can go to hundreds of places and get a very good meal, many in buffet style offering many courses. It was the quality/quantity of those chips that looked particularly poor value to me for 295B. Maybe you are just very easily pleased.

They say that Pangasius is creeping into the UK as a Cod substitute now....especially down South where they don't know the difference.  555

Re' the JF chips, as I said, I don't like them and although I ate them I really wouldn't have wanted any more.

Why should genuine Cod & Chips be as cheap here as in shivery old Bournemouth anyway? 

Have the Pangasius if you want cheap, 99 - 120 Baht all over the place.

Secrets do a great fish and chips. One of our top dishes. Just saying.

never had them,you do a very good hamburger though

And very nice it is too.

Which chippy?

I know Bmth very well and the surrounding area

Archived