IGNORED

best Fish and Chips?

Friar Tuck's is okay for 99 baht. 4 shops East of Jolly Friar. I am American so I don't eat much fish & chips but it was decent...and big. Only problem when I got back to room and opened there was no tartar. And please, no comments about my sexy legs.

I thought they where your BF legs!.. :GoldenSmile1:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what do they call it?

To be fair, do any restaurants call it Pangasius/Catfish?

Casa Pascal call their panga panga. So do a few other places around town.

The "pacific" part just means that they come from SE Asia, not that they actually come out of the Pacific ocean.

Yes, but my Q was why don't they offer it, at whatever price, which obviously wouldn't be 99 Baht.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see it for sale at many restaurants, which is why I've been buying it at Friendship and cooking it myself.

Palmers have it currently, as do Fryday, but what I have been served last time at JF as Cod was unacceptable.

I think that most proper F&C shops around town do frozen cod. The regular restaurants that do F&C as one of many dishes surely dont though.

Cant comment on how it good it is anywhere here as I've not tried it. If it's been properly frozen and transported and defrosted then it should be OK.

Phala Beach Caf - fisn n chips, f*** knows what fish it is but its very nice. 79 Baht

Beers 45 Baht small 70 Baht large.

Ice cream 10 Baht.

Cant argue with those prices. I know where Phala is and I go there a couple of times a month. In fact it's my favourite area for a day trip.

But I've never seen the Beach Cafe. Where is it and what are the opening hours? I'd like to try it next time. I see that they have a Facebook page but the map on it puts them nowhere near the beach.

I think that most proper F&C shops around town do frozen cod. The regular restaurants that do F&C as one of many dishes surely dont though.

Cant comment on how it good it is anywhere here as I've not tried it. If it's been properly frozen and transported and defrosted then it should be OK.

Hmmmm proper F&C shops is the problem - there aren't many are there?

I'm a fan of Fryday, but found the Cod variable - loin cut small size and tough.

At Jolly Friar I found the Cod unacceptable last 2 times I tried...more like Coley IMO.

Where else?

Jomtien folk may cite Simon's but it went way off as soon as Simon got out.

Golden Friar is closed I believe and Curry & Chips I don't think offers Cod.

As you say, most of the restaurants use Pangasius Catfish as Fish & Chips and really they're just selling batter - no way that fish is "tasty".

Layla's at Mabprachan is OK, but small portion IME and too far out to be worth 295 Baht.

Makro used to sell top quality Emborg Cod and Halibut from Norway, which JF used to use, but that stopped and now I only see Cod at Friendship and never Haddock.

Good quality Cod is not as easily available as you think.

Beware also those who get confused/confusing about weights and claim to sell 250 gm (1/4 kg) portions which are really more like 4oz (1/4 lb).

What is the cost of a kg of frozen Atlantic cod at Makro or Frienship and what weight are the fillets? 

There is none at Makro any more.

At Friendship, I've run out so I'll have to check weights, but about 160 Baht for 2 good portions.

There is none at Makro any more.

At Friendship, I've run out so I'll have to check weights, but about 160 Baht for 2 good portions.

So around 400B/kilo? Skinned and boned?

.............. Skinned and boned?

Yes.

KPK Foods?  

Looking at their website wholesale price list, 525 +VAT for Atlantic Cod loin and/or fillets seems over the top?  Similar their price on Dory Fish and frozen chips.

http://www.kpkfoods.com/pricelists/kpk-wholesale.pdf

http://www.shop.kpkfoods.com/freezers-grocery-online-pattaya.php#fries

http://www.shop.kpkfoods.com/fish-meat-fish-online-pattaya.php#fish

KPK Foods?  

Looking at their website wholesale price list, 525 +VAT for Atlantic Cod loin and/or fillets seems over the top?  Similar their price on Dory Fish and frozen chips.

I went there once a few years back but they hadn't got much of a selection....pies & bacon as I recall.

I go to BigC quite often so I'll look.

So around 400B/kilo? Skinned and boned?

Yes, 405 Baht/kg today retail.

20150924_173525.jpg

This seems about right then 290B/kg wholesale. 

I don't really want to buy 13kg plus it's Skin-on which makes a difference.

So Friendship's price of 405 seems quite good to me.....

.....esp compared to 525 + VAT from KPK?

@ 405 restaurants could serve a very generous portion for less than 100 Baht, so I don't see why it has to be all that expensive?

At a guess the Cod portion served by Fryday costs about 50-60 Baht at Friendship prices (he uses smaller Loin cuts rather than the larger fillets shown) and he charges 180 Baht with Chips.

I called at Palmers today but they had no Cod, so I went and bought my own.

20150926_183438.jpg

20150926_183615.jpg

I personally love the John Dory fillet at jolly friar. good value at ฿99 It's always on my to do list when in town

I personally love the John Dory fillet at jolly friar. good value at ฿99 It's always on my to do list when in town

555 It isnt John Dory its Pangasius and it isnt 99 Baht and hasnt been for a year or 2 but as long as you enjoy it. :-)

Those fish n chips look great OTE ...that second pic really highlights the quality of the fish. Bet that meal tasted yummy. What a great pre/post drinking meal. 

I saw BigC Extra has Cod now....at 575./kg.

Hope Friendship doesnt find out.

Went to Makro yesterday and found Barramundi filees for 450b/kg.

Can somebody tell us what kind of fish is it?

Went to Makro yesterday and found Barramundi filees for 450b/kg.

Can somebody tell us what kind of fish is it?

If it's really Barramundi, a river & sea sport fish popular with the Aussies then it's probably OK.

However, TiT and copies abound.

Barramundi from local fish farms are known as pla kapong (Thaiปลากะพง) in Thailand.[6] Since its introduction, it has become one of the most popular fishes in Thai cuisine. It is often eaten steamed with lime and garlic, as well as deep-fried or stir-fried with lemongrass, among a variety of many other ways. Pla kapong can be seen in aquaria in many restaurants in Thailand, where sometimes this fish is wrongly labeled as "snapper" or "sea bass" on menus

No idea whether it makes good F&C...bones?

Edit :- At 450/kg you'd hope country of origin was Australia? I don't think Pla Kapong should be that expensive?

DIY - About 200 Baht's worth from Friendship...

24235.jpg24234.jpg

Pla kapong can be seen in aquaria in many restaurants in Thailand, where sometimes this fish is wrongly labeled as "snapper" or "sea bass" on menus

I would guess around 99% of restaurant menus in Thailand list Plaa Gapong as that.

I just sat with Dr.Winston at Jolly Friar and he ordered the Large Cod & Chips at 295(?) Baht (there is a medium for less).

I gave up on JF a while back, but I have to say that on the basis of what he was served it's back on my list.

Archived