IGNORED

best Fish and Chips?

Good to hear JF have lifted their game.

Was a regular since it opened, but gave up on it over a year ago.

Must try soon

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a few places in pattaya that offer good fish n chips but none offer a good old chip shop curry 

I've tried all the fish n chip shops in Pattaya and none of them do a decent good english chip shop curry.

This is the kind of curry on on about, not Chinese, not dark in colour or brown...

This is the one..

8052884681_016127ac5e_z.jpg

The one on New Plaza is like dish water and one at chips and curry has tons of pepper and just didn't cut it...

So i wondered how hard is it to get or make a good old english chip shop curry and today i've got it right.

So i followed this homemade chip shop Curry sauce recipe.

• 4oz of finely chopped onions.  We use a food chopper for ease as it can take a while with just a knife.
  • 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic clove.
  • 1 ½ tablespoons of Oil
  • 4 tablespoons of flour
  • 3 teaspoons of curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon of tomato puree
  • 1 ½ pints of Chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
A few basic directions on preparing and cooking the sauce.
  1. Gently cook the onion and garlic in the oil.
  2. Mix in the flour and curry powder.
  3. Mix gently until it forms like a sandy looking paste.
  4. Gradually add the stock to the pan whilst stirring.
  5. Add all the other ingredients.
  6. Simmer for apx 30 minutes. (The mixture will thicken)
  7. Ready to serve.

And guess what it works a treat and i've got a pan full from only the above:-

post-53412-0-54604000-1444043880.jpg

So i did some home made chips lightly boiled them for 30 minutes then let them dry cooked them on a low heat in oil then oven cooked them for 10 minutes.

post-53412-0-44131100-1444044146.jpg

post-53412-0-37529300-1444044160.jpg

Yes Pig and Whistle in Pattaya and Jomtien is pretty good not the cheapest gut huge plate

Yes Pig and Whistle in Pattaya and Jomtien is pretty good not the cheapest gut huge plate

Is it still a huge amount of concret batter with a sliver of Pangasius catfish inside or has it improved.

Coming from Canada,I have never seen mushy peas or have never tried them. But I will take your word for it that they are nice.

I find that the problem I have seen with the fish and chips in Thailand is sometimes the batter is cooked but the fish is raw.

Getting them right seems a challenge.

I find that the problem I have seen with the fish and chips in Thailand is sometimes the batter is cooked but the fish is raw.

Getting them right seems a challenge.

The most likely reason for that is that your restaurant is not thawing the fish, either at all or properly) before cooking....much easier to whip a fillet out of the freezer to order than to manage a stock of thawed fish.

If it is Pangasius catfish then there's the added problem that it holds an enormous amount of water in the flesh, making it even more difficult to get a dried fillet prior to battering...often some ice still inside.

Had a good F&C at a Thai place on Soi Khoa Noi, Darkside. It's the old Nobby Bar, on the same side and across the lane from Saxo bar. Generous portion and although the fries were not hand cut, they were fried just right. A limited farang menu and the Thai food is excellent.

I just sat with Dr.Winston at Jolly Friar and he ordered the Large Cod & Chips at 295(?) Baht (there is a medium for less).

I gave up on JF a while back, but I have to say that on the basis of what he was served it's back on my list.

Quite simply the best bit of cod I've had anywhere in Thailand and even better than what I often get in admittedly run of the mill F&C shops in the UK. I'm sure you'll agree that the portion of cod was easily as large as the large portion commonly served in England.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Quite simply the best bit of cod I've had anywhere in Thailand and even better than what I often get in admittedly run of the mill F&C shops in the UK. I'm sure you'll agree that the portion of cod was easily as large as the large portion commonly served in England.

Definitely back on my list as I said.

Yes, as large as you usually get back home at around 6 oz (I think) or 350 gms.

Not quite up to the 10 oz Fillets I used to filch out of the previous day's catch fresh from Grimsby overnight, but that's just a distant memory.

I will go to JF again, but that was a bit close to breakfast time for me.

th

Love them big chips at Jolly Friar

they serve a bigger chunkier chip at frydays now..........

aug 10 006 (Custom).JPG

Definitely back on my list as I said.

Yes, as large as you usually get back home at around 6 oz (I think) or 350 gms.

Not quite up to the 10 oz Fillets I used to filch out of the previous day's catch fresh from Grimsby overnight, but that's just a distant memory.

I will go to JF again, but that was a bit close to breakfast time for me.

At 295B how does that compare with Frydays cod and chips at 180B? I suppose Fryday's is smaller.

The piece of Grenadier I had for 150B was large enough for me, so maybe Jolly Friar's medium cod would be a similar size?

At 295B how does that compare with Frydays cod and chips at 180B? I suppose Fryday's is smaller.

The piece of Grenadier I had for 150B was large enough for me, so maybe Jolly Friar's medium cod would be a similar size?

IME Fryday's is much smaller than 350 gms but probably the medium at 200 gms is very similar - maybe Dr.Winston is more up to date as he just sampled both restaurants.

At Fryday's I would choose the Blue Grenadier/Hake over the Pangasius/Dory catfish on taste and healthier eating.

My preference is for Cod, but they were using Loin cuts as opposed to regular fillets and I found them a bit tough....maybe they changed. 

Probably no market here for the UK Cod Crew, but these little tasty fucker, Flake (Gummy/School Shark) are the bread and butter fish for South East/Western Australia!  Fresh at Naklua Markets!

post-82617-0-10164000-1444459326_thumb.png

Naklua Markets

post-82617-0-89270100-1444458415_thumb.png

Probably no market here for the UK Cod Crew, but these little tasty fucker, Flake (Gummy/School Shark) are the bread and butter fish for South East/Western Australia!  Fresh at Naklua Markets!

I know about Gummy Shark/Flake in Aus and I know it's very popular as F&C there, but I thought it was an ocean fish (and under threat?) so if it was readily available here, why wouldn't it be in the F&C restaurants.

Surely what you saw are just more damned farmed catfish?

Gummy/School Shark/Flake fish

gummynschool.jpg

How do they have them fresh in Naklua, do they swim here?

Gummy_Shark.png

It is.

Where....JF?

Yes I've seen 'Flake' referred to by Aussies, but where can I try it and how much is it?

It might be imported frozen I suppose, but if it's sourced fresh from Naklua Market I'd be sceptical.

OK, I've tried Curry & Chips for their Cod and I wasn't all that impressed, but I might go try their Flake.

You obviously know your stuff on food and restaurants, so do you think you can buy genuine fresh Flake in Naklua Market?

OK, I've tried Curry & Chips for their Cod and I wasn't all that impressed, but I might go try their Flake.

You obviously know your stuff on food and restaurants, so do you think you can buy genuine fresh Flake in Naklua Market?

Pretty sure, Jolly Friar also had it on their menu when they first opened, but can't see it now.

Before, I saw nixonsbest post, I always thought it was imported.

Now ? ...... I am not sure.

Pretty sure, Jolly Friar also had it on their menu when they first opened, but can't see it now.

Before, I saw nixonsbest post, I always thought it was imported.

Now ? ...... I am not sure.

Me neither, but do you think that Naklua fish looks like Gummy Shark or just more Catfish?

image-20150429-7100-14bx75h.jpg

If it's imported, I'm surprised I haven't seen in Makro or anywhere.

Me neither, but do you think that Naklua fish looks like Gummy Shark or just more Catfish?

The GF says Catfish, so I will go with her  :)

I thought today I would give the Jolly Friar a go. I've had Friar Tuck's which was okay and about 30 meters away from JF (and only 99 baht). I get to JF and I noticed what appears to be a new sign out front. Fish & chips 149 baht. I swore they were cheaper a month or two back. This put me off a little so I went back to Friar Tucks. I ordered fish and chips for 99 baht but I found out the tarter is extra...20 baht. Not a big deal, and it's way too much tarter for one person. Two free packets of ketchup. Anyway my meal is only 30 baht cheaper than JF now. Get takeaway back to my room. The piece of fish is very big. However, last time my fish was noticeably firmer. Too mushy this time. The batter was good but that does nothing is the fish mushy. Also, they used crinkle cut fries. Last time was chips. I don't mind crinkle cut personally but I know most others prefer chips. Next time I will try JF.

12047796_1029407777089985_417305028_n.jpg

12067998_1029407847089978_1344411519_n.jpg

12086848_1029407843756645_1050035036_n.jpg

Archived