IGNORED

MAYWEATHER VS. PACQIUAO

SemperFiGuy

I do not believe that manny is the fighter he once was, if this fight had taken place 5 years ago I would have been interested. Right now it is but another display of FMj business acumen and the desperation of Manny in his current financial position. IMO FM has already won this fight and we are now merely waiting for the 'judges' to confirm it.  I would so like to be wrong but doubt that will be the case.

So, Manny is 5 years older now, but Floyd isn't? I pick Floyd to win now just as I would have 5 years ago. I still think Manny has a chance and his chances now are more or less what they would have been 5 years ago. People say Manny's distracted by politics, religion, etc. now. Well five years ago, he was busy with movies, music, etc. He's always had distractions and other things going on in his life. That's the way he likes it.

Then there's folks suggesting Pacquiao can't win a decision because the judges are in Mayweather's corner. Well, the scorecards for a lot a Mayweather fights have been closer than the fight itself. On the other hand, Pacquaio got the nod in a couple of close fights versus JMM (of course there was that scoring debacle in the first Bradley fight). Some even make the argument Nevada judges favor an offensive style such an Manny's to a defensive style like Floyd's. Just seems to be more than a few people making excuses for a result to a fight that hasn't even happened yet. Sure Pacquiao's the underdog and has a tough fight ahead of him, but I have to much respect for the guy to start throwing out excuses for him already.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Manny is 5 years older now, but Floyd isn't? I pick Floyd to win now just as I would have 5 years ago. I still think Manny has a chance and his chances now are more or less what they would have been 5 years ago. People say Manny's distracted by politics, religion, etc. now. Well five years ago, he was busy with movies, music, etc. He's always had distractions and other things going on in his life. That's the way he likes it.

Then there's folks suggesting Pacquiao can't win a decision because the judges are in Mayweather's corner. Well, the scorecards for a lot a Mayweather fights have been closer than the fight itself. On the other hand, Pacquaio got the nod in a couple of close fights versus JMM (of course there was that scoring debacle in the first Bradley fight). Some even make the argument Nevada judges favor an offensive style such an Manny's to a defensive style like Floyd's. Just seems to be more than a few people making excuses for a result to a fight that hasn't even happened yet. Sure Pacquiao's the underdog and has a tough fight ahead of him, but I have to much respect for the guy to start throwing out excuses for him already.

I feel it bgtp 555 and if talking from the heart I would go with Manny. Fantastic record, normally so well prepared, I just do not see it this time. I think the years have been harsher on him then on Floyd, five years ago I would have had a monkey on him to take FM, the odds make it pointless to throw a monkey on FM at this time but it is where my money would go..

Where will be the best bar to watch this fight ????

Record breaking box office, super dollar.

I feel it bgtp 555 and if talking from the heart I would go with Manny. Fantastic record, normally so well prepared, I just do not see it this time. I think the years have been harsher on him then on Floyd, five years ago I would have had a monkey on him to take FM, the odds make it pointless to throw a monkey on FM at this time but it is where my money would go..

I'm not so much in agreement that the years have been harsher on Manny. They are both not as good as they were 5 years ago. Still I'm looking forward to it. It may turn out to be a boring affair, but who's to say it wouldn't have been a boring fight 5 years ago. Sometimes, as fighters get older and the reflexes a little slower, their defenses aren't as good as they used to be and you end up with a more fan-friendly fight.

I remember my few friends who follow boxing whining when Pacquiao-JMM 4 got made, saying 'not this again', 'it won't be as good this time because they're both older', 'Manny wins easy at 147', etc. and I said I was looking forward to it as they've always had great fights and this could be their most fun one, yet. Turns out each guy was knocked down and one later knocked out in the consensus FOTY. 

Before that fight, I told the guys I watch boxing with, most of who are younger than me, about Ali-Frazier. The first Frazier-Ali fight was the biggest fight in my lifetime and the fight itself lived up to expectations. On the other hand, their third fight, four and one-half years later, was supposed to be an easy win Ali. The interest from the general public nowhere near as great as their first. But the fight ended up as an epic battle for the ages and when most people think of Ali-Frazier, they think Thrilla in Manila. One of my favorite quotes from that fight was at the start of the 7th. Ali: 'they told me Joe Frazier was washed up'.  Frazier: 'they lied'.

I'm not so much in agreement that the years have been harsher on Manny. They are both not as good as they were 5 years ago. Still I'm looking forward to it. It may turn out to be a boring affair, but who's to say it wouldn't have been a boring fight 5 years ago. Sometimes, as fighters get older and the reflexes a little slower, their defenses aren't as good as they used to be and you end up with a more fan-friendly fight.

I remember my few friends who follow boxing whining when Pacquiao-JMM 4 got made, saying 'not this again', 'it won't be as good this time because they're both older', 'Manny wins easy at 147', etc. and I said I was looking forward to it as they've always had great fights and this could be their most fun one, yet. Turns out each guy was knocked down and one later knocked out in the consensus FOTY. 

Before that fight, I told the guys I watch boxing with, most of who are younger than me, about Ali-Frazier. The first Frazier-Ali fight was the biggest fight in my lifetime and the fight itself lived up to expectations. On the other hand, their third fight, four and one-half years later, was supposed to be an easy win Ali. The interest from the general public nowhere near as great as their first. But the fight ended up as an epic battle for the ages and when most people think of Ali-Frazier, they think Thrilla in Manila. One of my favorite quotes from that fight was at the start of the 7th. Ali: 'they told me Joe Frazier was washed up'.  Frazier: 'they lied'.

Ok well you have at least convinced me to watch it,  :Evil_Grin2: but I will be looking for a beer if its the washout I think it might be.  :hello09:

These guys are fairly evenly matched...imho.  No matter what the outcome, I hope that it will continue renewed interest in The Sweet Science!  Promos by Golden Boy and Money's organization seem to be taking off, here in the states...does anyone else see this (or is it just my wishful thinking?)  

It will be the best fight alot of us will see in our lifetime guarenteed

That's if your lifetime began after almost any Ali fight.

Ok well you have at least convinced me to watch it,  :Evil_Grin2: but I will be looking for a beer if its the washout I think it might be.  :hello09:

Well, I'm not convinced it won't be a washout either. Mayweather-DLH comes to mind. It's just that I feel the odds of a good fight versus a washout now are no worse than they were 5 years ago. Let's hope for a good one.

It may be the biggest money-maker and biggest audience in a lot of years, but I doubt it'll even be fight of the year. Looking at the schedule, it has a shot at fight of the month ;)

Well, I'm not convinced it won't be a washout either. Mayweather-DLH comes to mind. It's just that I feel the odds of a good fight versus a washout now are no worse than they were 5 years ago. Let's hope for a good one.

It may be the biggest money-maker and biggest audience in a lot of years, but I doubt it'll even be fight of the year. Looking at the schedule, it has a shot at fight of the month ;)

Yes deffinatly it wont be the most entertaining fight wel see as both boxers are experienced and arent just gonna go out swinging, its just the most anticipated fight in history, but usualy the fights you most look forward to are the biggest let downs

If Money has any "downside", it would be that he is known for starting slowly.  He develops his timing and gets comfortable in the first few rounds. If Pac-Man gives him the time to do that, I think he'll have no chance to catch up.  Though Manny is the smaller fighter...I think that he has to be aggressive and be on the attack from the opening bell. He should exploit the fact that he's a southpaw and I really believe he should throw his best shots early.

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been an official/unofficial spot for PA members to gather to watch?  I'll 100% be there.   Just name the spot!

Has there been an official/unofficial spot for PA members to gather to watch?  I'll 100% be there.   Just name the spot!

Windmill agogo

Geez!  What fight do you think will be better?  What fight will have more on the line?   :Think1:

Geez!  What fight do you think will be better?  What fight will have more on the line?   :Think1:

The biggest, most important, most anticipated, largest audience, whatever, is often not the best fight of the year. This year isn't half over, so who knows. Many were expecting this past Saturday's Matthysse-Provodnikov to be a candidate and it was a good one, but not sure it won't be topped.

Look at the biggest PPV to date De La Hoya-Mayweather, it wasn't close to being on anyone's Fight of the Year list. That year Vazquez- Marquez 2 took the honors. No surprise to hard-core fans but 99% of the people who watched Mayweather-De La Hoya probably don't even know who those fighters were. I don't know any hard-core fan or anyone in the boxing media (apart from those selling the fight) who expects Mayweather-Pacquiao to be winning any FOTY awards. When has Mayweather ever been in a fight of the year. Funny thing about Pacquiao is the only time he's won that honor was Pac-JMM 4, a fight many people weren't all that excited about when it was made saying  'oh no, not this again'. So you never never where FOTY will come from, but certain fights do look better 'on paper' than others going into them.

Sure this is the biggest fight in years, maybe decades. I'll be watching and I hope it's a classic, but objectively I don't see it. We'll see how the year goes. On another note, great seeing Chavez Jr get his ass kicked Saturday night :)

The biggest, most important, most anticipated, largest audience, whatever, is often not the best fight of the year. This year isn't half over, so who knows. Many were expecting this past Saturday's Matthysse-Provodnikov to be a candidate and it was a good one, but not sure it won't be topped.

Look at the biggest PPV to date De La Hoya-Mayweather, it wasn't close to being on anyone's Fight of the Year list. That year Vazquez- Marquez 2 took the honors. No surprise to hard-core fans but 99% of the people who watched Mayweather-De La Hoya probably don't even know who those fighters were. I don't know any hard-core fan or anyone in the boxing media (apart from those selling the fight) who expects Mayweather-Pacquiao to be winning any FOTY awards. When has Mayweather ever been in a fight of the year. Funny thing about Pacquiao is the only time he's won that honor was Pac-JMM 4, a fight many people weren't all that excited about when it was made saying  'oh no, not this again'. So you never never where FOTY will come from, but certain fights do look better 'on paper' than others going into them.

Sure this is the biggest fight in years, maybe decades. I'll be watching and I hope it's a classic, but objectively I don't see it. We'll see how the year goes. On another note, great seeing Chavez Jr get his ass kicked Saturday night :)

I enjoy watching Money...he's a tactician.  I think that this may be his last fight, win or lose.  I suppose that I'm just HOPING this will be the FOTY...I think they're fairly evenly matched. Hope that the under card will be worthwhile too!  I missed the Chavez Jr. fight but I'm not disappointed he lost, that's for sure!

Agree - FOTY is usually a knock down, drag out war -- Castillo/Corrales; Gatti/Ward; those type of fights.  Matthysse/Provodnikov fit the bill -- both guys come forward, hit hard, have good chins and like to trade.

Given his defensive skill, Mayweather has rarely, if ever, been in that kind of fight.  

I'm NOT saying he isn't great or that his fights aren't great -- just saying that, stylistically, they're not the type that are usually considered FOTY candidates.  I think it'll be more of a chess match than "who hits harder?" kinda fight.

....but I'm still excited as Hell to watch it!

I enjoy watching Money...he's a tactician.  I think that this may be his last fight, win or lose.  I suppose that I'm just HOPING this will be the FOTY...I think they're fairly evenly matched. Hope that the under card will be worthwhile too!  I missed the Chavez Jr. fight but I'm not disappointed he lost, that's for sure!

I was ringside -- he got the shit beat out of him.

Around the 2nd round, I realized Chavez had never fought anyone as big as he was -- almost always smaller guys.  Chavez would blow up to around 175-180 by the time he went into the ring when he was fighting at Middleweight (160 lbs. at weigh in), so the other guy was giving away 10+ lbs.

Ironically, I think Chavez struggled to make weight more than Fonfara, who was forced to come down from his usual 175 to 172.

Just two undercard fights as part of the PPV. Lomachenko (who I like and certainly is a top boxer) against challenger Galamlier Rodriguez who hasn't really fought anybody yet. Also, Leo Santa Cruz in a non-title fight is confirmed, Zsolt Bedak is his rumoured opponent. Basically a couple of 'showcase fights', but maybe one of the big underdogs will surprise. Still, I'll be paying and watching, I like both Pacquiao and Mayweather and want to see how it all turns out.

Agree - FOTY is usually a knock down, drag out war -- Castillo/Corrales; Gatti/Ward; those type of fights.  Matthysse/Provodnikov fit the bill -- both guys come forward, hit hard, have good chins and like to trade.

Given his defensive skill, Mayweather has rarely, if ever, been in that kind of fight.  

I'm NOT saying he isn't great or that his fights aren't great -- just saying that, stylistically, they're not the type that are usually considered FOTY candidates.  I think it'll be more of a chess match than "who hits harder?" kinda fight.

....but I'm still excited as Hell to watch it!

I was ringside -- he got the shit beat out of him.

Around the 2nd round, I realized Chavez had never fought anyone as big as he was -- almost always smaller guys.  Chavez would blow up to around 175-180 by the time he went into the ring when he was fighting at Middleweight (160 lbs. at weigh in), so the other guy was giving away 10+ lbs.

Ironically, I think Chavez struggled to make weight more than Fonfara, who was forced to come down from his usual 175 to 172.

To be honest, I didn't know about the weight issues and didn't see it coming!

I have done my share of boxing also. Boy do I miss the Budweiser girls from back in the days. Many fighters have difficulty fighting at different weights. Floyd never had this problem. Floyd doesn't start slow more of starting too defensive. He does not like to get hit at all. I don't think Pac Man has a chance but you never know which way a decision will go. Shane hit Floyd with one of the best punches he has been caught with. Shane's only problem was that he didn't realize how he landed the punch. It was an off balance punch that he normally wouldn't throw. With that being said that's the type of punches Pac Man is known to throw. I will be in Vegas that weekend. It will be a good one boys.

I have done my share of boxing also. Boy do I miss the Budweiser girls from back in the days. Many fighters have difficulty fighting at different weights. Floyd never had this problem. Floyd doesn't start slow more of starting too defensive. He does not like to get hit at all. I don't think Pac Man has a chance but you never know which way a decision will go. Shane hit Floyd with one of the best punches he has been caught with. Shane's only problem was that he didn't realize how he landed the punch. It was an off balance punch that he normally wouldn't throw. With that being said that's the type of punches Pac Man is known to throw. I will be in Vegas that weekend. It will be a good one boys.

I think we're ALL hoping this full card lives up (even halfway) to the hype.

I think we're ALL hoping this full card lives up (even halfway) to the hype.

One thing about Floyd is that he is a business man also. He will make sure you get a good fight. Most of his viewers are paying to see him lose not win. He knows how to pump up all the fans to make his money. That's why he talks so much. He suckered all of us in to see him win and make 100 million. Gotta love the guy.

One thing about Floyd is that he is a business man also. He will make sure you get a good fight. Most of his viewers are paying to see him lose not win. He knows how to pump up all the fans to make his money. That's why he talks so much. He suckered all of us in to see him win and make 100 million. Gotta love the guy.

I agree.  BUT...even though I'd like to see Pac Man win, I just don't see it.

Manny will have to bring back some of the old magic from the older days if he is going to beat Floyd.. Floyd is going to be at his best defensively and should take the fight

To be honest, I didn't know about the weight issues and didn't see it coming!

Me either...or the oddsmakers - read afterward that Chavez was a 3-1 favorite.

Archived