IGNORED

Pastrami and Rye Jomtien

I have an update about the bread situation at this restaurant.

Spoke to an owner and they are very aware that the bread is not ideal.

As I said before, it is not real rye bread, doesn't smell like it, doesn't taste like it, and doesn't hold up when you lift it as it should.

The current bread just has some rye in a blend.

I was told they are working on improving the bread, getting real rye bread and this will be announced on their facebook page when it happens. 

For the time being, and this makes sense, if getting the sandwiches to go or delivery, ask for the  bread to be toasted, as that will hold up better with their current not ideal bread.

Normally regular pastrami or corned beef on rye is not toasted.

Their standard reubens are toasted but not the regular pastrami or corned beef on rye.

It might be OK not toasted if eating in the restaurant but the bread falls apart if taken out. 

You know, all restaurants have room for improvement.

But I have found in Thailand that when you talk to owners here they generally just get defensive and deny there is any problem.

So it's really refreshing when a restaurant knows they have a problem and are working on  fixing it.

So very happy we've got this place here.

I think it's a matter of wanting a specific kind of bread that the owners there seem to think is not produced by any local bakery. That is, the specific kind of rye bread you would find in a traditional deli in the U.S.  It has a strong taste and smell of rye. They also need a specific size, production consistency, and I'm assuming at a price point that works for them. Sometimes specific things like that are hard to source in Thailand. 

It would be more at their price point than availability of a specific kind of rye bread!  

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly. 
That's their business.

I was told they are working on improving their bread, both for authenticity and for not falling apart, and I have no reason not to believe them.

If a year passes, and no change, I'll change my tune. 

these guys do a great job and are always improving!!!

a lot of the free food at the nightwish group bars is from here, by the way... or did I already mention this?  haha.

Stupid question, but I assume that you can get the sandwiches on different bread?

I'm not a fan of rye bread (authentic or not).  Here, I always get my pastrami on sourdough, but -- based on their menu -- it doesn't look like it's an option there.

Stupid question, but I assume that you can get the sandwiches on different bread?

I'm not a fan of rye bread (authentic or not).  Here, I always get my pastrami on sourdough, but -- based on their menu -- it doesn't look like it's an option there.

Currently they only have the pastrami and corned beef sandwiches on one kind of bread. As it was made clear they agree with me that their bread is not great, I assume in future it will all be on their new rye bread. They have other kinds of bread for other sandwich types.  I don't think any of them would be suitable for corned beef or pastrami. Anyway, if you don't like rye you will like their current bread because it isn't really rye bread. 

Beyond that, you can ask them when you order but pretty sure no sourdough there as none of their items use it. 

I have an update about the bread situation at this restaurant.

Spoke to an owner and they are very aware that the bread is not ideal.

As I said before, it is not real rye bread, doesn't smell like it, doesn't taste like it, and doesn't hold up when you lift it as it should.

The current bread just has some rye in a blend.

There are many types of rye bread and many people associate the term with heavy, dark German pumpernickel or Danish "rugbroed," ...

rye.jpg

but there are lighter variations which involve a combination of wheat an rye flour in various proportions. In the U.S., "Jewish rye," also called "sissel," is often used for Reuben or pastrami on rye sandwiches. It's a light, soft wheat and rye bread flavored with caraway seeds.

0052 simple meal bread IMG_0590.JPG...rye-bread-79-600.jpg

here's a pic I found on the Net of a Reuben served in Katz Deli in NYC. Katz sells something like 10,000 Reubens a week, more than anywhere else in the world. Notice the light rye bread.

reuben-and-coffee.jpg

It's a matter of personal preference whether you like light or dark rye bread.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

The last picture is what a deli like that would want. It's what I want. That bread does taste and smell of the rye, and you can lift such a big sandwich even after take out and it does not even begin to disintegrate on you.  I know that personally. 

You would have a choice of rye bread (which would be light, yes) or pumpernickel which yes would be very dark.

Rye is much more popular and I don't see the need for a deli like this in Thailand to even bothering offering pumpernickel, but that's up to them. 

Not really talking about what Europeans expect or think rye bread is.

This deli is replicating a traditional New York deli ... that's their brand. 

Thanks for the picture -- that is the ideal bread. 

To add, I recall in my conversation that "swirl" rye bread was mentioned as something that they are looking into.

Swirl is a combo of light with a pumpernickel swirl pattern.

It is not traditional as in the picture (still popular in more modern delis) but if a new bread has some rye flavor and smell and is sturdy enough to hold up to being held in a sandwich, that would also be a welcome improvement. 

Again, their current bread, no rye smell, no rye taste, and isn't sturdy enough for a thick sandwich (possibly even a thin one).  So room for improvement on the bread. 

Oh, BTW, the portions at Pastrami and Rye are perfect. :ThumbUp6:   

It would be more at their price point than availability of a specific kind of rye bread!  

Another point.

Maybe it's because they really want  to get the swirl bread.

I've never seen that in town, have you?

I'm not a fan of swirl bread, but it really does look kind of cool so I can understand a business wanting that bit of pizzazz. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents.

Here is my review of Pastrami on Rye & American Pizza Factory on Thappraya Road - Jomtien.  http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/

Attached are some pics.  Please comment or post your experience.

* I am in no way associated with this restaurant or any other restaurant in Thailand.*

Genre: Sandwiches, Pizza, & Breakfast.

Atmosphere:  Great.  Inside and outside seating.

Staff:  Very Polite.  Some really HOT girls working there!

Price: Reasonable.  Around 500 Baht.

What I got:

Sandwich: The Cuban.  Salami, smoked ham, pulled pork, melted Swiss cheese with extra cheese, dill pickle and mustard.  The bread was perfectly toasted.  The meat to bread to cheese ratio was very proportionate.  Good portions.

Free Side:  You get to choose 1 side with your sandwich.  I got the Coleslaw.  It tasted really good but was a little heavy on the mayo.

Desserts:  Got the Cherry Cheesecake.  Really good.

Overall:  A solid 7 out of 10 on my scale.  I plan to try their Pizza and Biscuits & Gravy at a later date.  The pics on their site look good.  I may amend my findings based on future meals.

Patrami&RyeJul2015 (3).jpg

" Duct tape turns, "No...No...No..." into "Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm" - Anon

Ooh.  Here comes the DESSERT.

The Cheesecake was good also.

Patrami&RyeJul2015 (1).jpg

I have eaten at Pastrami on Rye on a number of occasions.   Usually about once a week since halfway through last year when they were at their other location in Jomtien.

I've had their Pizzas, Pastrami on rye, Rueben, Cuban, Meatball and Classic Roast Beef sandwiches and I've eaten breakfast there too (GREAT pancakes!).  All their food is very tasty!

I think they have the best sandwiches in the Pattaya/Jomtien area.  They are certainly the best quality I've had since living here from March 2011 onward.

Yes.  They are a bit pricey though...

There were so many things on the menu I want to try (Pizza and sandwiches and breakfast)

Cant seem to ge up early enough for the breakfast though

I'm a big Biscuit & Gravy fan.  Being from NC, USA, I was raised on B&G.

The Huddle House (kind of like a Waffle House) has a great B&G with lots of sausage in the gravy.

I want to try it at POR to compare.

All their food is very good sandwiches, pizza, dessert,. And now they have real New York bagels. This restaurant is terrific and just like the US, not cheap but if you want a good US meal sandwich pizza, this is the place. Biscuits and gravy is great, the only place I've seen it out here so far. Pizza best I've had in Thailand, eat there all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All their food is very good sandwiches, pizza, dessert,. And now they have real New York bagels. This restaurant is terrific and just like the US, not cheap but if you want a good US meal sandwich pizza, this is the place. Biscuits and gravy is great, the only place I've seen it out here so far. Pizza best I've had in Thailand, eat there all the time

According to their facebook page, their bagel baking system has been developed but not being sold yet. You know differently?

I also like this place, but it's not perfect.

I had the biscuits and gravy for a third time and that time it was pretty awful.

No flavor in the gravy at all and the biscuits basically got all soggy and disgusting under the sauce.

I won't order that dish again.

But definitely  do like the place in general. 

They are doing bagels now.  Had one the other day.

Headed there for breakfast now.  Biscuit & Gravy review to come later today.

Yes they do have bagels for sale now.

Will be selling all day and later will also offer smoked salmon on them as well. 

Got one to go ... 65 baht including cream cheese.

Haven't eaten it yet. 

e836e019fc688b4375216e909623b16d.jpg

I really need to get down there and try out the food. Trouble is. with so much good food everywhere, I can never get far when I'm out looking for something to eat.

SECOND REVIEW : Pastrami on Rye & American Pizza Factory on Thappraya Road - Jomtien.  http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/

Attached are some pics.  Please comment or post your experience.

* I am in no way associated with this restaurant or any other restaurant in Thailand.*

Genre: Sandwiches, Pizza, & Breakfast.

Atmosphere:  Great.  Inside and outside seating.

Staff:  Very Polite.  Only saw the owner and a Thai waiter working the morning shift.

Price: Reasonable.  500 Baht for 2 people.

What we got:

Juice & Tea:  We got their Sweet Tea with Lime.  I drank 2 full glasses.  Really Really good.  I expected more when I ordered the juice though.  It was a little more than a shot glass portion for 40 baht.

Biscuits & Gravy: Good portions.  While the biscuit was a somewhat tasteless, the sausage gravy was excellent and saved the day.  I also added a side of bacon.  3 large thick slabs perfectly cooked.  I would definitely have this again but hope they can improve on the biscuit.

Pancake Breakfast:  My girl got this and of course I had to try the Pancakes.  Better than average and went well with the eggs and sausage.

Breakfast Overall6.5 out of 10 on my scale.

Sandwich Overall: 7 out of 10 on my scale.

Pizza OverallPENDING.  Not sure I can try the pizza this trip.  I leave in a couple of days.

It appears they are getting their Bagel Menu up and going with many selections.

Overheard the owner talking this morning and it appears that the bagels have been validated and approved by a real Jew from New York so you know they are genuine and good.  Personally not a bagel fan so you'll have to try for yourself.

Pastrami breakfast (3).jpg

Pastrami breakfast (1).jpg

Pastrami breakfast (2).jpg

Sorry but 500 baht for a sandwich or a breakfast is equivalent pricing to major Western cities.  This is Thailand not New York lol.

My update.

I recently had the pancake breakfast again,

Loved the pancakes, and also the eggs and bacon were done well this time. Generally I have thought they have issues with their egg cooking, but not this time.

Surprised to hear the gravy on the biscuits tasted so good.

It seems to me, like a lot of places, there are unpredictable consistently issues.

Sometimes really good, sometimes not so good.

I did try the bagel and home pimping it up big time with smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocado, tomato, and red onion.

No doubt the best bagels in Pattaya ... which doesn't take much, but still that's good. 

It had the chewy texture of a real bagel. 

Not everyone will like that, but that's how it's supposed to be. 

Pancake set brekkie with large pancakes, bacon, eggs, and coffee was 155. Not 500!

Yes the sandwiches are pricey for Thailand but if you understand the quality that goes into them, they are not overpriced.

Archived