IGNORED

Pastrami and Rye Jomtien

I finally made it to Pastrami On Rye's  relocated premises on Thrappaya Road, about 100 yards north of the dog-leg right turn towards Jomtien Beach Road.

post-9139-0-87984800-1431379750.jpg

I had planned to have breakfast there, but my errand at the Jomtien Immigration office took longer than I expected, so I didn't get to Pastrami On Rye until 11.15 a.m., after they'd stopped serving breakfast.  Instead of a sausage biscuit, I had a meatball sub.

post-9139-0-33538600-1431379489.jpg

It was a excellent sandwich, a meal-and-a-half with the coleslaw and dill pickle sides that were included in the 285-baht price.

post-9139-0-92677600-1431379523.jpg

The meatballs, made inh-house, were topped with a tangy marinara sauce and melted mozzarella, then topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

post-9139-0-40104900-1431379533.jpg

post-9139-0-03665200-1431379545.jpg

The cloleslaw was also very fresh and coarsely chopped, exactly how I like it.

post-9139-0-53756700-1431379503.jpg  

I took one of  their signature sandwiches, a Reuben, home with me to have later.

post-9139-0-51367200-1431379771.jpg

A reuben is a relatively modern U.S. sandwich, most likely dating from the 1950's.  It consists of corned beef topped with sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese and "Reuben sauce" on toasted rye bread.  Traditionally, a Reuben uses either Russian or Thousand Island dressing (based on mayonnaise and tomato puree or ketchup and other ingredients), but many restaurants make their own variation.

post-9139-0-01115000-1431379764.jpg

The bread was properly toasted on the very top of the slice, but still soft on the inside.

post-9139-0-85837000-1431379760.jpg

I took potato salad as my take-away side and it was very good.  The potatoes were cooked correctly and not too soft.

post-9139-0-85359000-1431379773.jpg

Some shots of the interior.  It's spotlessly clean, which you can't say about every restaurant in Pattaya.

post-9139-0-75536000-1431379707.jpg

They have a good selection of desserts, but I've only tried the cheesecake.  Delicious!

post-9139-0-96686300-1431379714.jpg

post-9139-0-77802500-1431379719.jpg

post-9139-0-54189300-1431379732.jpg

The outside dining area.

post-9139-0-13147700-1431379745.jpg

Bottom line: if you like U.S.-style sandwiches, you can't go wrong with Pastrami On Rye.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, EP!  Every now and then I get a craving for a little "taste of home," even on my short trips to Pattaya.

Nice post, must let you all know they have a fantastic promotion currently offered. Happy hour from 4-6 pm, 50 % off pizza, limit two. Pickup or eat there.

Started yesterday, Great Promotion! ENJOY

Nice post, must let you all know they have a fantastic promotion currently offered. Happy hour from 4-6 pm, 50 % off pizza, limit two. Pickup or eat there.

Started yesterday, Great Promotion! ENJOY

is this promotion at both their locations? .. ??? or .. did they move?

Had the Philly cheese steak there yesterday and my friend had the Ruben which he has been wanting to try. Really good too. I want to try the Cuban next. The pizza offer sounds good but i would need someone to share it as i don't want to pack on the pounds and my mates have gone home now.

Getting there was easier than i thought i had never been down to Jomtien before.

Just caught a baht bus on second road and as you get near Jomtien there is a massive Pan Pan on the right and about a 150 meters down from that on the left is Pastrami on Rye. Its just a 10 baht journey.

is this promotion at both their locations? .. ??? or .. did they move?

they moved.

now on the rd from south pattaya to jomtien.

down the hill, past chateau dale plaza, past the traffic lights and 4 shops past the continental bakery

10 baht E/W from south pattaya

here are some pics

may 12 002 (Custom).JPG

may 12 006 (Custom).JPG

may 12 004 (Custom).JPG

just about directly across the street is the entrance to View Talay 5, btw...

Thanks so much for the pictures of the location.  :-) 

Had the Philly cheese steak there yesterday and my friend had the Ruben which he has been wanting to try. Really good too. I want to try the Cuban next. The pizza offer sounds good but i would need someone to share it as i don't want to pack on the pounds and my mates have gone home now.

Getting there was easier than i thought i had never been down to Jomtien before.

Just caught a baht bus on second road and as you get near Jomtien there is a massive Pan Pan on the right and about a 150 meters down from that on the left is Pastrami on Rye. Its just a 10 baht journey.

The Cuban is my favorite sandwich there.  Fantastic flavors that are just spot on.   Just like being in South Florida.

they deliver too...  great food...

Do they deliver to Central Pattaya?  

I'm a lazy fucker.....if I can sit in my air conditioned hotel room and have them bring it to me, I'm even MORE likely to eat one of these sandwiches!

Yes they deliver to central Pattaya.

Evil

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Do they deliver to Central Pattaya?  

I'm a lazy fucker.....if I can sit in my air conditioned hotel room and have them bring it to me, I'm even MORE likely to eat one of these sandwiches!

To be honest Footy they don't travel that well.  The toast gets all soggy and it has that steam taste to it.

post-82617-0-81747100-1431673547_thumb.png

Pastrami on Rye currently has a 50% off "Happy Hour" special on large pizzas between 4.00 and 6.00 pm. The offer applies to dining at the restaurant and/or take away, but not delivery. There's a limit of two pizzas. You can choose from thin crust, Sicilian or pan pizza (also called Chicago style or deep dish pizza). The crust on square Sicilian pizzas is about 1" thick and about 1.5" on a pan pizza. Both have more topping than thin crust and as the name implies, pan pizza is baked in a pan.

I'm not a big fan of either style, but I will try a Sicilian pizza in the next few days. You can find the details of the special offer on the restaurant's Facebook page. (www.Facebook.com/pastramionryethailand)

Evil

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

by the way, this place caters, and a lot of the time you eat goodies in the NightWish bars on Soi 6,  it came from them.

To be honest Footy they don't travel that well.  The toast gets all soggy and it has that steam taste to it.

attachicon.gifpor.PNG

Thanks, nixonsbest!

Considering the alternative -- 20-40 baht RT in a baht bus -- it clearly makes more sense for me to venture out to Jomtien.

Said it before, but it bears repeating -- I REALLY appreciate all of the helpful "food posts" from you and Evil Penevil

One point that should be mentioned: There's a huge difference between what's called corned beef ("bully beef") in the U.K. and the corned beef sold in the U.S.  (and at Pastrami on Rye). The U.K. version is brined and boiled beef that has been minced and mixed with gelatin, then packed in cans. From around 1900 through at least the 1950s, it was a standard field ration for the military of many countries.

The U.S. version is beef brisket which has been brined, pickled and cured, then slow roasted. It's called salt beef in the U.K. The U.K. version is roughly equivalent to Spam except based on beef rather than pork, while U.S. corned beef would correspond to ham. It's very possible to like U.S. corned beef but hate its U.K. cousin, just as some people who retch at the thought of Spam may well enjoy a ham sandwich.

Evil

One point that should be mentioned: There's a huge difference between what's called corned beef ("bully beef") in the U.K. and the corned beef sold in the U.S.  (and at Pastrami on Rye). The U.K. version is brined and boiled beef that has been minced and mixed with gelatin, then packed in cans. From around 1900 through at least the 1950s, it was a standard field ration for the military of many countries.

The U.S. version is beef brisket which has been brined, pickled and cured, then slow roasted. It's called salt beef in the U.K. The U.K. version is roughly equivalent to Spam except based on beef rather than pork, while U.S. corned beef would correspond to ham. It's very possible to like U.S. corned beef but hate its U.K. cousin, just as some people who retch at the thought of Spam may well enjoy a ham sandwich.

Evil

Screenshot_2015-05-19-12-47-37~01.png

Screenshot_2015-05-19-12-47-58~01~01.png

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Evil

Yes the #1 Colony (Australia) has taken U.S version of "Corned Beef" to the next level of delightful consumption "SILVERSIDE"   :GoldenSmile1:

I cook up a SILVERSDE weekly for sliced meat in my sangas, $8/KG compared to $15/KG sliced at the deli! 

Forget about the Rachel, Reuben and Cuban Sandwich, we have the Ausban Sandwich!

Silverside, Australian Mustard, Coleslaw, Beetroot and melted Tasty Cheese in Vienna Bread.

post-82617-0-25725000-1432031755_thumb.jpg

post-82617-0-92975000-1432031809_thumb.jpg

post-82617-0-02687100-1432031819_thumb.png

post-82617-0-14494300-1432031826_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update about the bread situation at this restaurant.

Spoke to an owner and they are very aware that the bread is not ideal.

As I said before, it is not real rye bread, doesn't smell like it, doesn't taste like it, and doesn't hold up when you lift it as it should.

The current bread just has some rye in a blend.

I was told they are working on improving the bread, getting real rye bread and this will be announced on their facebook page when it happens. 

For the time being, and this makes sense, if getting the sandwiches to go or delivery, ask for the  bread to be toasted, as that will hold up better with their current not ideal bread.

Normally regular pastrami or corned beef on rye is not toasted.

Their standard reubens are toasted but not the regular pastrami or corned beef on rye.

It might be OK not toasted if eating in the restaurant but the bread falls apart if taken out. 

You know, all restaurants have room for improvement.

But I have found in Thailand that when you talk to owners here they generally just get defensive and deny there is any problem.

So it's really refreshing when a restaurant knows they have a problem and are working on  fixing it.

So very happy we've got this place here.

I have an update about the bread situation at this restaurant.

Spoke to an owner and they are very aware that the bread is not ideal.

As I said before, it is not real rye bread, doesn't smell like it, doesn't taste like it, and doesn't hold up when you lift it as it should.

The current bread just has some rye in a blend.

I was told they are working on improving the bread, getting real rye bread and this will be announced on their facebook page when it happens. 

For the time being, and this makes sense, if getting the sandwiches to go or delivery, ask for the  bread to be toasted, as that will hold up better with their current not ideal bread.

Normally regular pastrami or corned beef on rye is not toasted.

Their standard reubens are toasted but not the regular pastrami or corned beef on rye.

It might be OK not toasted if eating in the restaurant but the bread falls apart if taken out. 

You know, all restaurants have room for improvement.

But I have found in Thailand that when you talk to owners here they generally just get defensive and deny there is any problem.

So it's really refreshing when a restaurant knows they have a problem and are working on  fixing it.

So very happy we've got this place here.

http://lovepattayathailand.com/bakery/back-fabrik-bakery-pattaya/ just up the road from him if he wants the best bread for his sandwiches 

is there anywhere you can buy corned silverside [to cook yourself] here in pattaya. i used to love it in australia

any holes a goal

I think it's a matter of wanting a specific kind of bread that the owners there seem to think is not produced by any local bakery. That is, the specific kind of rye bread you would find in a traditional deli in the U.S.  It has a strong taste and smell of rye. They also need a specific size, production consistency, and I'm assuming at a price point that works for them. Sometimes specific things like that are hard to source in Thailand. 

Archived