IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Go for a wander around the supermarkets and have a look at the price for genuine Australian Wagyu. That should pretty much answer your question.

Well I won't bother but I reckon it's very expensive. I looked this up a bit and in Oz any meat roughly from stock that was originally Japanese Wagyu can be marketed that way. So yes that means lower quality mean can legally be sold as Wagyu.  The real thing is supposed to be very marbled and very tender. There was something different to me about the meat than I'm used to. Never had anything labeled Wagyu before. I wonder if it's always so tough there or I just got lucky.

http://www.fraserspattaya.com/

Edited by Kreggerz

Went here for the 1st time last week, it was on valentines night, as Beefeater was full. I love the styling of the place, really nice.

On walking in, there's a dessert fridge. 1st thing what struck me was how all of the desserts were in a glass they looked 'samey' and unimaginative.

I browsed the dessert menu and sure enough, this was crested by a chef with no flair for desserts...trifle, tiramasu, creme caramel, and 4 other types, all 'wet' desserts, all quick made ahead choices with no sign of any skilled pastry/pudding work. To be fair, even established places like casa pascal fall down here, it really is lazy and disappointing for the diner. Can't chefs in Pattaya even cook 1 decent dessert daily, very strange.

Anyway, we chose the nacho starter and it was really good, a simple dish done well.

We ordered the same main dish as we order at Beefeater, so will compare like for like... fillet steak pepper sauce, one with fries one with gratin potato.

The fillet steaks tasted great, no doubts there. But...were they not sirloins?..they both had the fat/gristle attached...having said that, they did have a slightly better flavour than the Beefeater fillets.

The vegetable garnish was watery and overcooked. There were leaves on top of the steaks, both of these added nothing to the dish.

Pepper sauce had no depth of flavour, came with whole peppercorns, not nice to eat.

Gratin potatoes were very heavy on the garlic, but were cooked well.

The fries were pale and oily, clearly cooked in a fryer which was not the right temperature.

We didn't order dessert, none of them looked appealing enough.

Service was perfect, no issues there. No problem with pricing, all reasonable and fsur enough. I will return next holiday to try other dishes, fingers crossed Ian will get rid if the faults.

So. Overall a disappointing meal when measured against the main competitor Beefeater. If they were a 10, Steak n Co would be a 6.

• Like 3

Hi to the owner/manager :Hello:

That's not a bad idea to have an adequate lighting for the outdoor menu board, :Think1:

so old, fat, ugly and hungry customers can read it in the evening as well. :GoldenSmile1:

Went hear Saturday night around 7pm, only two other tables were occupied, had a Porterhouse with mash potato and house salad, my daughter had sirloin with hand cut wedges..Both Steaks were ordered medium and came that way, they were excellent, really enjoyed the meal..The only let down was the complementary bread rolls they gave us before the meal was served..No way could you eat them they were like rock..But that aside all was very good..If the boss reads this please get the bread sorted mate, it ain't hard..Will be there again next week for another top Steak..

• Like 2

It's always something small and trivial that let's the place down, review upon review say the same.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

nothing I have read would discourage me from going there...  

Then go there and give us our opinion.

I have been very happy with your posts in the past and trust your opinion. 

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

Then go there and give us our opinion.

I have been very happy with your posts in the past and trust your opinion.

JDM

I intend to!

nothing I have read would discourage me from going there...

And neither should it discourage you, it's just little things that deny it a 10 out of 10 rating, there is absolutely no doubt the quality of the meats are first class and cooked really well (as most even negative reports confirm) it's just little details that keep it shy of a 10 out of 10 rating.

How about when you're in town maybe some of the reviewers meet up and have a meal there. I'd certainly be up for that. Then we can all agree to disagree about our meal. After a few beers somewhere I'm sure we can all agree to how our meal went.

Dodgy

• Like 3

That's good for me, anyone else want to join us

Was the mash good, think it was instant a few months ago?

No my friend the mash was real spuds and the texture was spot on, like I said it was only the bread rolls that were shite..

How does 8.30 - 9.00 fit, just remembered the 4th is a non alcohol day so beer after might not be on the menu.

Edited by Dodgy

Thats good news, will try again in a few says.

Looks like its just the bread to sort & we are going to have nothing to whine about

let me check with my friends here and see if that time works, will get back to you!

been wanting the rib eye....

Went there in the end of January despite of a few bad reports here. Ordered the pepper steak with a baked potato. Ordered the staek medium. What i got was a peace of cow still breating (not even rare but still alive), not tender and tasting very bad. Tha peppersauce did not taste of pepper at all - all i could taste was brandy and there were not a single peppercorn in that so called peppersauce. The baked potato thoufh was very good as were the service. Should i have sent it back - yes propably but i did not as the chec having worked where he has should have been able to serve a proper steak. So i enden up paying about 1000 Baht for a baked potato and a beer ans a tip to the waitress. Would i go back? For sure i would never set my foot there again and i will tell all my friends going to patts to avoid the place.

Everyone has the right to my opinion

7pm tomorrow night is best for me.... 8 I can do but 7 is better....

Looks great.

How would you describe the difference between Thai/French and Australian steaks?  What difference would I notice if I ordered a rib-eye of each?

Same general question I had, in regards to all places that serve steak in Thailand.

Thai beef is generally cheaper right? Must be of a lower quality/breed than those imported I assume.

.. Don's Foods was founded and run by Don Battle, a long-time American entrepreneur (and old farm-boy from Alabama, and former NASA rocket engineer) .. he also founded and operated the iconic Don's Cafe in Phuket .. he supplied international hotel operators throughout Thailand with a variety of high quality foods.

.. he took-on raising beef here in Thailand and proved that proper fattening, slaughtering, aging and not freezing the finished product produced amazing quality local French/Thai beef .. a great value steak that competed favorably with many imported, frozen beef selections.

.. he did it with locally bred French/Thai beef.

.. his technique: corn-fed, finished the last 45 days on tapioca and some other uniquely Thai feed .. custom slaughtered .. then aged 21-days, and delivered never frozen .. detailed attention to quality assurance.

.. sadly, he has since retired .. but .. what a great story his life is.

Edited by brutox
  • Like 2

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

.. Ian .. have you had any success sourcing aged beef? .. or, unfrozen beef? .. how do the prospects look for either?

.. don't know what the economics look as for aged and unfrozen beef, but it would certainly make Steak & Company singular amongst the local Pattaya competition.

Edited by brutox

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

.. Ian .. have you had any success sourcing aged beef? .. or, unfrozen beef? .. how do the prospects look for either?

.. don't know what the economics look as for aged and unfrozen beef, but it would certainly make Steak & Company singular amongst the local Pattaya competition.

I think you will find  S&C imports unfrozen beef from Australia through a distributor in Bangkok!