Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Russians Giving Me the Looks of Utter Hatred While in Thailand?

wowzerz

Stop it, please.  It's my country and I hope you can refrain from insults. Yes I know about our problems ... But every nation has its own problems, right?  Not only Russians. Sometimes Chinese people look terrible, sometime British or Americans....
I think we all should be respectful of each other here in the LOS... Even Russians :) 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop it, please.  It's my country and I hope you can refrain from insults. Yes I know about our problems ... But every nation has its own problems, right?  Not only Russians. Sometimes Chinese people look terrible, sometime British or Americans....

I think we all should be respectful of each other here in the LOS... Even Russians :)

Don't take it all to heart too much mate , like anywhere you're going to get different answers, some will judge all on one person actions.

I hope so. You know, I hate many things in Russia and Putin is so terrible... But it's my country and many friends of mine stay here in Pattaya. Good people, no 10 days tourists.
I  regret that most of Russian expats here stay out of community...

Don't take it personally.  Russians tend to hate everybody, including there own kind.  Don't forget Stalin is credited with having up to 20 million of his own kind murdered so perhaps it is an inborn thing with them.

I hope so. You know, I hate many things in Russia and Putin is so terrible... But it's my country and many friends of mine stay here in Pattaya. Good people, no 10 days tourists.

I  regret that most of Russian expats here stay out of community...

We're much the same, there are things about our own country we don't like either. That's one of the reasons we go to Thailand and Pattaya.

I see a few Russians working in the small tourist kiosks selling tours, are you guys allowed to work in Thailand or do you have to get a work permit same as we do?

It's depend of company owner, I guess. Most of my best friend here have a work permit, but many don't have it and get in trouble.

Counter-question: how many Thai guides, hotel owners and tour sellers can speak Russian? You can like it or not but that's the situation :) Most of us cannot speak English at all, same as Chineses. 
When I was a schoolboy, we have  only 40 minutes (!) of English (or Friench, in my case) for a week  (!). So, it's not amazing that we have... This   :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hhth-aCEwc

It's depend of company owner, I guess. Most of my best friend here have a work permit, but many don't have it and get in trouble.

Counter-question: how many Thai guides, hotel owners and tour sellers can speak Russian? You can like it or not but that's the situation :) Most of us cannot speak English at all, same as Chineses. 

When I was a schoolboy, we have  only 40 minutes (!) of English (or Friench, in my case) for a week  (!). So, it's not amazing that we have... This   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hhth-aCEwc

Yes my friend, I understand your situation with not many Thai people speaking Russian, I was just curious that's all.

You must have excelled at English lessons at your school because you write very good English.

It would be interesting if maybe you could start a topic on why you came to Pattaya, and how things have changed for you in Pattaya over the years. It would give us an insight in to the Russian side of things and maybe enlighten a few people?

Cheers have fun  приветствия

Thanks but I NEVER learn English. It's true. Only French in school me je suis oublie presque tous sans pratique :) 
First time when I visited Pattaya in 2003  I knew only few words in English like most of Russians. Well, now, after 12 years and 30 trips, my vocabulary still far from good, I know (too lazy).
I remember this years... When to Russian people mets on Walking Street - "WOW, brother, you're Russia too!!! It's GREAT, I'm happy, let's drink together, nobody can understand me here, it's  so boring!!!"
But next 3 years all changed. Now Russian often annoy each other.  Many Russians spent vacations Turkey and Egypt where any lizard on the palmtree speaks Russian.
And sometimes they don't understand that Thailand is ABSOLUTELY different. That's problem. Well, Russian expats like jokes  about Russian tourists... But they don't like when foreigners are joking about it.
Of course we still remain closed nation. And about "boring faces" with no smile - it's true but
However, Russian love to have fun and very friendly to each other. Simply, they clearly see the difference between us and other foreigners. Cultural differences, differences in psychology ....
But I have many open-minded, friendly, well educated interesting people with excellent English (sometime even Thai).
Sometimes Russian tourists are rude and aggressive - but this is due to the aggressive environment in Russia.
It's not so easy to  keep smile if every day begin like this

I think you are being paranoid.  I have been with Thai gals countless times with Russians around and never even notice em.

Were you standing in their way to the Chang store, aka 7/11?

It must be strange to come from a country where being gay in against the law to a country where being gay is accepted.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

I have to admit, I'm very sceptical about Russia. Too many completely undemocratic powers are still calling the shots there.

But I have a little bit of a brain, at least (no, really, I think a couple of cells have survived my incessant drinking), and I don't equate the nation to the individual persons who inhabit it.

I have to admit, though, Russians are not conditioned to seem friendly to strangers. Personally, I don't think worse of them for that.

Russians are friendly to friends. Being friendly to just any stranger is kind of promiscous, don't you think?

Thanks but I NEVER learn English. It's true. Only French in school me je suis oublie presque tous sans pratique :) 

First time when I visited Pattaya in 2003  I knew only few words in English like most of Russians. Well, now, after 12 years and 30 trips, my vocabulary still far from good, I know (too lazy).

I remember this years... When to Russian people mets on Walking Street - "WOW, brother, you're Russia too!!! It's GREAT, I'm happy, let's drink together, nobody can understand me here, it's  so boring!!!"

But next 3 years all changed. Now Russian often annoy each other.  Many Russians spent vacations Turkey and Egypt where any lizard on the palmtree speaks Russian.

And sometimes they don't understand that Thailand is ABSOLUTELY different. That's problem. Well, Russian expats like jokes  about Russian tourists... But they don't like when foreigners are joking about it.

Of course we still remain closed nation. And about "boring faces" with no smile - it's true but

However, Russian love to have fun and very friendly to each other. Simply, they clearly see the difference between us and other foreigners. Cultural differences, differences in psychology ....

But I have many open-minded, friendly, well educated interesting people with excellent English (sometime even Thai).

Sometimes Russian tourists are rude and aggressive - but this is due to the aggressive environment in Russia.

It's not so easy to  keep smile if every day begin like this

Thanks for your telling us about Russia & Russians,that train station is a nightmare.

Robw

I was just wondering why some Russian guys give me extremely hard stares when they see that I am with or even talking to a Thai woman...

Sounds like paranoia. I've had had that experience.

More than 85% of Russians supports Putin and occupation of Ukraine, even local expats here in Pattaya. That's reality.
And almost all still exist in Cold War years and VERY happy to be. USA and Satan still the same for most of us, and "democracy" words sound like "f**ckin shit".

Yes, it's sad (for me).

It is sad. However in personal contact most of Russians remain good people... Of course, you are able to find a common language...
Nothing different form Germany in 30s or 
McCarthyism in USA.
Every country has same brainwashing experience. We cannot support it of course, but have to understand.
I hope that hard times for my country will be over soon.

I have to admit, I'm very sceptical about Russia. Too many completely undemocratic powers are still calling the shots there.

But I have a little bit of a brain, at least (no, really, I think a couple of cells have survived my incessant drinking), and I don't equate the nation to the individual persons who inhabit it.

I have to admit, though, Russians are not conditioned to seem friendly to strangers. Personally, I don't think worse of them for that.

Russians are friendly to friends. Being friendly to just any stranger is kind of promiscous, don't you think?

More than 85% of Russians supports Putin and occupation of Ukraine, even local expats here in Pattaya. That's reality.

And almost all still exist in Cold War years and VERY happy to be. USA and Satan still the same for most of us, and "democracy" words sound like "f**ckin shit".

Yes, it's sad (for me).

Putin is one of my favourite world leaders. I think he adds some much needed ballast to the global political stage. How many world leaders can claim 85% support from their people...can't think of any western leaders that come close to that number, sounds like you already have democracy in spades.

The problem for any country who values their sovereignty/autonomy and who doesn't want to be assimilated into the American Dream....means having to install a prickly and stubborn leader to see off the inevitable sanctions and other external intimidations.

Ukraine is just another pawn in ye olde cold war. Putin has to draw the line somewhere against the NATOfication of Russia's borders. US/NATO doesn't care about the well being of Ukrainians any more than it does about Afghans, Syrians or Iraqis, they are quite happy to wartrash yet another country if it means securing the geopolitical endgame of the US.

OK.

I can respect your point of view. 
Perhaps Hitler was also necessary for balance of forces in Europe and in the world.
Also possible that destruction of Russian economy is evidence of power of my country :)

I think the problem for the Russians is that there culture is very different from the west.  And the Thai people tend to be similar to western people.

So when the russians visit places like Pattaya for a holiday they find it hard to interact with the locals and tourists from other countries.  And because of this culture difference they have a lot of bad press.

One should not think all Russians are not alike because some are OK.

Some say that a problem for the russians is that they can only speak russian.  A lot of russians stay at my hotel and when they are inside the hotel they will only speak with fellow russians.  They ignore the thai staff and guests from other countries.  I must admit that I don't like the way they are in the hotel.  They can be friendly to the hotel staff and fellow guests by just being friendly and saying hello in there own language.  If they did this we would all understand that they are being friendly even if we dont understand them.  And would smile back and say hello in our own language.

I feel that the Russian tour guides working in Pattaya and other tourist locations can have a big say in how the russian tourists act in Thailand.  They could educate the russians when they first arrive.  And explain to them on the best way to act and this would help them to have a better holiday

You're really interested in political flood here? :) 

Poland, Czechoslovakia etc - Hitler

Georgia, Ukraine  - Putin

While I see only one difference between Putin and Hitler (1935-1938).

Hitler created a powerful industry in Germany.

Putin destroyed the entire Russian economy and making it dependent on the price of oil and gas.

Well, we don't have repressions that can be compared with Hitler, it's true. Our country is still open.

But we have the same level of brainwashing.
For all my life I was thinking that Russia must be a  PART of  the world, but not AGAINST world.

Any country have some interests (of course China, USA and EC also). 
But we need to compete and to balance the interests of each other and not fight.
I won't idealize US or humiliating my own country, of course. But Chinese or Singapour way is more interesting for me than North Korean.

In Russia we still have a guidebooks when you can read that any Caucasian is a kind of god for Thai people :) In addition many believe that Thailand still a one of poorest countries of third world and being here is  very dangerous.
But its only first impression. If Russians returns to LOS more and more times, they have changed. Most of annoying people here is first time travellers...

I thought life in Russia would have been better under Putin? what were living conditions like under your previous leaders compared to Putin now?

1998, before Putin. Oil  - 10 USD/bar. USD/RUS -  20

2013. Oil - 120 USD/bar. USD/RUS -  32

2014. Oil - 85 USD/bar. USD/RUS -  43

So, Thailand was on crisis in 1996-1997, after still growing.

Russia was in financial crisis in 1998, 2008 and now the third, 2013.

And now we have a war with Ukraine... Can you imagine war between Thailand and Lao? It's the same.

Most people have a better life - it's true. But that was only because of rising of oil prices.

I guess if  country can spend about 5000 billions of dollars  for Olympic Games they have to make a new roads first. To develop productions  as Thais do.

At least produce enough food...

We have a wonderful nature. Russia is one of the most beautiful countries on the planet, dammit! But I do not understand why the vacations in Russia (or in Crimea) is more expensive than in Thailand.

Personally, I couldn't give a shit how they look at me, I look at them the same way........maybe, it's a look they give when they are with their Heffer sized women, and they want them to think they are disgusted, but on the inside he's thinking you lucky bastard.

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

Archived