IGNORED

The Manchester United thread

Baxidar ba

Equalised on 93 minutes. Lucky fookers!!

thought i'd take a look at the rest of your fixtures in the prem league.

all i can say is ...lol 

Zlatan wasn't offside but Everton played amazingly. Imagine if they still had Martinez? Never would've defended like that.

39 minutes ago, stephens07 said:

Europa league or bust I'd say .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They better win.  The payrolls of the other teams combined don't add up to the rags.  

Europa league or bust I'd say .

Oh god i hope its the latter lol (bitter scouser here [emoji4])

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2017 at 11:45 PM, taylor1975 said:

Oh god i hope its the latter lol (bitter scouser here emoji4.png)

I never would have guessed mate :D

I never would have guessed mate [emoji3]

May as well confess. No point trying to hide it [emoji4]

JM first season was work in progress & any football man would see he has to make some personal changes.

King of draws says it all but I am sure he will find systems & new players to score next season.

Many new players from last summer have not had great seasons for sure but Bally the defender is top class & looks to be a man & a half at the back.

IMO I would keep Michael Carrick for one more season, he still is better than most signings in the last 3 years.

Man Utd miles away from being prem  winners & even more miles away from being kings of Europe but give JM time is key after all Alex was given nearly 4 seasons.

The Prem now is a lot harder than the late 80's right.

Looking for ward to the transfer window in the summer & hope Man Utd get out half a dozen & bring in some great new signings.

Work & interest is number one & if its just money some players should be not persuade.

As much as its been great watching a 36 year old score for fun for Man Utd it has come with a style of play where he gets the ball & then so many other players do not do there thing & weigh in with a load of goals.

I am sure JM will have many ideas & systems already on his mind but buy wise please.

Jack

Seems like Griezman is the no1 target this summer. But if Zlatan leaves (+Rooneys departure) we'll need at least 1 more striker. I wouldn't mind seeing Lukaku sign,  but apparently there's some history with Jose so doubt it will happen. Would like to see a throwback to the past in the form of a flying winger in the mould of a Giggs, not convinced at all about Lingaard. 

Seems like Griezman is the no1 target this summer. But if Zlatan leaves (+Rooneys departure) we'll need at least 1 more striker. I wouldn't mind seeing Lukaku sign,  but apparently there's some history with Jose so doubt it will happen. Would like to see a throwback to the past in the form of a flying winger in the mould of a Giggs, not convinced at all about Lingaard. 

Lingaard has just signed a new contract paying him 100k a week .

3 minutes ago, stephens07 said:

Lingaard has just signed a new contract paying him 100k a week .

Yeah heard about it yesterday, I'm not bagging him I think he's a solid player. But I grew up watching Giggs & Kanchelskis on the wings. It's the same with the defence, jones & smalling are decent players but not a patch on Rio & Vidic. 

I understand what you're saying but Rio and Vidic weren't an instant success. Nemanja was reminiscent of Bambi on ice crossed with a scalded cat at the start of his United career while Rio was suffering from a misguided 'Bobby Moore' complex. They evolved in to great individual players and an exceptional partnership. I think Bailly and Smalling have all the attributes to do the same. Jones and Rojo have been the better partnership in my opinion this year and have really progressed. My only problem with them is that Jones always has a serious clusterfuck in him and Rojo sometimes appears as though he went to the 'Chopper Scholes' school of tackling. It's always nice for a team to finish with the same amount of players as the opposition, and although Rojo has only been sent off 5 times in his career there are at least a couple of times this season that could have been added to. 

Reference your other point about flying wingers, I grew up with them too and loved the speed and width with which we counter attacked. The word 'swashbuckling' became synonymous with our style of play if you ever picked up a tabloid. It was vibrant, exciting and at times chaotic, yet we revelled in that chaos. I'm not quite sure if it works in today's game though, not if you want to win things. If your only wish is to entertain then of course it will. 

Most teams sit with a defensive midfielder now to pick up the extra midfield runner, and when in possession quickly turn defence into attack. The way we used wingers so effectively was to have a high line midfield which pressed the ball hard to create mistakes and counter attack hard and fast. I think that in the modern game it leaves a lot of space for good players to drop in to and exploit. This used to work very well 20 years ago because the gulf in class in technique, awareness, and tactical understanding between players at the top clubs and those at the other clubs was huge. I don't think it is any more. 

With all that being said, I still think that there is most definitely a place for 'flying wingers' in the game and especially at United. Wingers with pace and skill can always break the back line and cause chaos, creating space and opportunity. It's just my opinion that the gung-ho mentality that the two players you mentioned above so evoked at the height of their careers would not have the same impact today as it did then. 

Yes good points but I would just point out last seasons champions Leicester city, their formation? 442 every game 442, work hard, press high from the front & counter attack to devastating effect.  As the LVG reign proved 80% possession is all well & good but it doesn't always win you matches. 

I didn't at any point say possession won games or that 4-4-2 couldn't win a title. I even explicitly said that I thought flying wingers had a definite place in the game especially at United. 

I just don't think the style and ethos of Giggsy and KanKan in their pomp would work in today's game, or even ten years ago for that matter. Ronny didn't play in that way yet he was still an explosive winker, sorry winger, and we played fast, free flowing, creative attacking football. 

Possession is only an answer if you do something with it. 

Bleeding tablet posted it twice

Edited by Drewbrogan
Cos Kindles are shot on the tinterweb

I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow. Would love us to do spurs a favour & have a right go tomorrow. I'm sure this a game Jose has been thinking about a fair bit & it could get a bit tasty as as Jose & Conte butt heads (maybe literally). 

Herrera was outstanding, Rashford scared em to the death, Rioja & Bailly were rock solid. Jose got his tactics spot on, We played with intensity & passion & Chelsea couldn't handle it. Revenge must be sweet for the special one today. 

Bad news for Man Utd.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic & Marcos Rojo have been ruled out for the season.

More: bbc.in/2p38Gb8

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

IMG_6735.JPG

Zlatan's let himself go.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 weeks later...

:Hair_Out1: :Hair_Out1:

................................................................................................................

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations to Manchester United for their Europa Cup win .

Condolence to the families and friends of Manchester Arena Victims . 

• Like 2

Don Jose Mourinho made it again. A very limited resources team, with a good first season un Premier League, and now this Cup

Congrats ManU fans

IMG_3788.JPG.a181a3373fcf6b82dd800a635b38f3dd.JPG

Congrats on your Mickey Mouse treble

On 24/05/2017 at 9:59 PM, jocky king said:

Congratulations to Manchester United for their Europa Cup win .

Condolence to the families and friends of Manchester Arena Victims . 

Nice to see you posting again JK, fingers crossed in the next couple of weeks we might be signing Griezman. They've been a few big signings who've promised so much but delivered so little (Falcao, Di Maria) but this guy surely is the real deal.