Sent from St. Somewhere

Over 100 visits to the Kingdom

First in 2001 -

TG with me in USA since Nov 2008

Married to her since Jan 2009 .....OOPS Divorce in 2015...NEXT

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am from Los Angeles, California, USA.  137 miles from Mexico.  

In my opinion Tequila Reef is California/Mexican. Not great/not bad.   

If you are in Pattaya for more than 10 days it is a good option. I usually spend 27 days in LOS and go there once a trip.  If I take a TG I order the sampler.  The sampler has enough variety for a TG and a monger.

Well

I lived in Mexico for 10 years

I know a little

Also, have eaten at TR 10+ times

I come to Thailand for

1) Thai girls

2) Thai food

My meals in Los no matter where I go is Thai food, including TR

I don't hit the 6 for Russians, Mexicans, French, Indian girls

If ya want Mexican, go to Mexico

My 2 satang

Great pad seaw (sp) at TR

Sent from St. Somewhere

What a load of bullshit!..

In my experience this place varies from bad to sort of OK.

Being from California I have grown up on Mexican food and I get the craving now and then. This place satisfies when they are having a good night.

Tequila Reef serves Tex Mex and other regional U.S. dishes. There's a huge difference between Tex Mex and the "authentic" Mexican food served in central and southern Mexico. Even in pre-Columbian times, the cuisine of what's now northern Mexico was very distinct from the rest of the country. The native American people of central and south Mexico were agricultural and their diet was largely based on corn (maize), beans and other fruits and vegetables. The tribes of northern Mexico were hunter-gatherers whose diets were based on wild game.

After the conquest of Mexico by the Spanish, the colonists introduced domesticated animals like cows, pigs and chickens; diary products like milk and cheese; and a variety of spices and cooking techniques. Since northern MExico was suited for cattle raising and ranching, beef became the dominant ingredient in the region's cuisine. Until the late 19th century, the food served on the either side of the Rio Grande was very similar, but vastly different from the food in central and south Mexico.

With time and increased immigration of plain vanilla settlers to Texas, Tex Mex emerged as a regional cuisine in its own right, but didn't spread much outside the U.S. Southwest until the 1970s.

If TR is going to be judged, it should be on the standard of its Tex Mex dishes, not comparisons to "mainstream" Mexican cooking.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

It is judged. It's exceedingly poor Tex Mex that wouldn't stay open two weeks in the U.S. except perhaps in a very provincial place like a small town in Arkansas. 

Interesting to read these ....because the owner has a restaurant in angeles city. And to me..the skirt steak carna asada..black sweet beans. Is awsome...then wash it down with a strong slushy margarita..love this place. And the ribs are to die for..just my opinion.

Well, to me Mexican food is Taco Bell. So, obviously, I don't know what's authentic and I don't care. Remove the labels and food either tastes good or not. My favorite thing at Tequila Reef is the Thanksgiving buffet.

This thread is funny as hell.  Good to see all of the comments, but I don't understand the anger.

1)  To the guy who said he lived in Mexico for 10 years.  So what. You don't even eat the Mexican food, so what does it matter how long you lived there?  Hilarious.

2)  Why are so many people mad at the people who say they had a bad meal?  If they say it was bad it is their opinion. 

3)  And to the ones who say I don't like the food, because it doesn't compare to authentic Mexican cuisine.  No shit, because your in Thailand, not Mazatlan.  Why even try to compare?

4)  Having said that I enjoy the food there.  I have been to both (Patt and AC) and do not have any personal complaints.  I enjoy the food and yes, I believe the mango margarita is awesome. 

Carry on.

600Bht for below average food for one person ... guess there are better places to go ... 555 . 

We're talking about a restaurant in Thailand. Same name doesn't mean the same food especially when in another country. It's been my experience that when people comment on Mexican restaurants and focus mostly on how good the margaritas are, they aren't really people to take seriously about Mexican  or Tex Mex food. 

Maybe when Trump gets that wall built all the Mexicans will start going to Thailand and the food will improve.

I have been to TR twice in the past 18 months and actually ordered the same dish. The first one was "okay/fine" the second one was terrible. So I guess the they are a little unreliable. MY experience in Tex-Mex has mainly been from Texas and I love the good stuff. Regardless of the differing tastes, to order the same dish twice and get very different outcomes tells me there is a plomplom with the staff.

I was there yesterday, ordered the special, allegedly a burrito. What came were more like fajitas, components of a burrito.

The rice looked like Mexican rice but had that jasmine flavor prevalent in Thai rice. The flour tortillas were not exactly authentic, but close.

The Pico de gallo was a little on the vinegar end of the salsa continuum.

All in all, though, very tasty and fairly cheap.

Worst food, I ever eaten in Thailand... There are good Mexicans, folks! But not in Pattaya. There is a fantastic one in Koh Chang, and in Rawai in Phuket! Super, pure margaritas, fresh food, inventive....

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up eating there a few times, the bills were generally about 300 baht, the food was not bad.

Living now in LA, I get my share of bad Mexican food. I suspect some of the posters here are used to bad Mexican food and cannot tell the good stuff.

In central Mexico, the highest cuisine is from Puebla, home of mole. Tequila Reef of course doesn't hold a candle to that, but in central Mexico there are few wheat tortillas as such (there is pita bread, known as "pan arabe"), so Tex-Mex stuff is really not authentic - you won't find a burrito in central Mexico unless someone has opened a Taco Bell there.

Bottom line: Mexican food is really a function of your pre-conceived tastes. If you like the rough Mexican food, then maybe Tequila Reef isn't for you.

Stickman's recent weekly column had an interview with the chef at Sunrise Tacos in Bangkok...he is from Mexico and has worked extensively in the U.S. and China. He said it's very difficult and expensive to get quality ingredients (meat, cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, etc.) in LOS and you shouldn't expect what you are used to back home. Interestingly he said the first giveaway is the mexican food in LOS does not have the bold aromas. Whatever your feelings are about Stickman I thought it was a good interview and admire the chef for his life journey.

Stickman's recent weekly column had an interview with the chef at Sunrise Tacos in Bangkok...he is from Mexico and has worked extensively in the U.S. and China. He said it's very difficult and expensive to get quality ingredients (meat, cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, etc.) in LOS and you shouldn't expect what you are used to back home. Interestingly he said the first giveaway is the mexican food in LOS does not have the bold aromas. Whatever your feelings are about Stickman I thought it was a good interview and admire the chef for his life journey.

Was it a paid interview?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Daryle

The only thing in mexican food that might be a little hard to find is cheese, and even that is going to be more of an issue of being pricey, not all that hard to find.

And in this context I think it's pretty clear we are talking about American style Mexican food, tex-mex, or California Mex, not what people actually eat in Mexico. Like how 'Chinese food' bears little resemblance to what people in China eat every day.

Sadly, Tequila Reef isn't really good at replicating any of those styles.

I have eaten at Sunrise tacos too, and I'd rather eat at Tequila Reef.

His place in Bangkok Sukhumwhit soi 12 was our favorit in Mexican food.

Fajitas for 4 people always rules.

But over one night he chanced the menus to ++ menus. Same time the prices rose.

Everything was about 30% more expensive next day.

We asked this greedy owner, WTF you have done?

No answers, because he was so "busy" at the moment.

He tried it in Jomtien too with Bangkok prices. It was open one year then closed.

It was the Jomtien one I tried, higher prices than TR and slightly lower quality. And built in gratuity 8% tagged onto every bill. Wasn't suprised, or at all sad, when I saw it had closed.

Another business owner blaming outside factors for a poor offering.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

To be fair, op is one and a half year old. I was in Angeles eating at tr less than a month ago. It was great!

Not had any tr here for a while as I prefer cooking myself

Archived