IGNORED

Tequila Reef, never again

The reason for the varied opinions on Tequila Reef is because the place is incredibly inconsistent. 

I've lived here for 9 years and it's been that way for at least the last 8 years.

I could be wrong about this, but my impression over the years is that the owner spends most of his time in Angeles City. 

The staff appears to have been trained, they just don't appear to be very well supervised. That leads to doing  things the "Thai way."

You would think that there would be an urgent Desire to correct that, but that has never appeared to be the case.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know good Mexican, having lived for many years in an area with good Mexican restaurants and having traveled extensively in Mexico, eating local the whole time.

I have only eaten at Tequila Reef once--never went back because the food was so mediocre (I did like the ceasar salad oddly enough). My only other experience was with another board member who just wanted some food and we were in the area, so we went and he got a Mexican plate. It was mediocre at best.

I too find it hard to believe that Mexican nationals recommend this place.

The Tex-Mex buffet on weekends at Beefeater's is vastly superior, in my opinion, and a good value. Yes, I am only a customer--I have no other connection with Beefeater.

" I wouldn't slam a restaurant on an Internet board after one visit unless  the food or service had been atrocious." 

.. THE FOOD WAS ATROCIOUS .. that is what I am saying :-) 

I too would not slam a restaurant after one bad experience.  I understand that some days are better than others.

I have eaten there 3x ... 

The first time I ate there was because I was missing food from home (California/Texas) .. 

The only reasons I went back to this restaurant were to give it a 2nd/3rd chance 

One time bad experience ... maybe I am having a bad day .. 

2x bad experience .. maybe I am having a bad day ... or the restaurant is having a bad day .. 

​3x bad experience .. this is not a coincidence .. I will not go back to the restaurant .. and I will tell others of my bad experience .. 

If you think this is even close to good food (whether you call it Mexican of Tex-Mex) I wonder if you can even taste at all?

Maybe all food tastes the same to you?

The place sucks. The food sucks..

Bland. Small portions. Boring food.

.. In defense of the restaurant though I will say that it is impossible to get good ingredients for Mexican food in Thailand.

I HIGHLY DOUBT the poster above that says he has friends from Mexico that says this is good food.

.. Go to this restaurant if you want .. 

but, if you have ever had Mexican?Tex-Mex in the USA or Mexico then you WILL be disappointed.

In Thailand you can easily find fresh coriander.

For a change they could cook an authentic Mexican coriander soup.

I know good Mexican, having lived for many years in an area with good Mexican restaurants and having traveled extensively in Mexico, eating local the whole time.

I have only eaten at Tequila Reef once--never went back because the food was so mediocre (I did like the ceasar salad oddly enough). My only other experience was with another board member who just wanted some food and we were in the area, so we went and he got a Mexican plate. It was mediocre at best.

I too find it hard to believe that Mexican nationals recommend this place.

The Tex-Mex buffet on weekends at Beefeater's is vastly superior, in my opinion, and a good value. Yes, I am only a customer--I have no other connection with Beefeater.

I have no dog in this fight and this is my last comment here but I am confused. First you say you've only eaten there once - why would someone order a ceasar salad in a Mexican place is beyond me, however it suggests that even though you lived in an area with good Mexican restaurants, you're not particularly fond of Mexican food - and the second time you were there with "another board member" whose plate was mediocre because he said so? Or did you eat as well? For the record, I've also lived in an area with good Mexican restaurants in the US - if not the best - and also traveled extensively in Mexico, which more or less equalize our stand. And I don't care how hard is to believe my remark about "Mexican nationals recommend this place" it is not bullshit in fact one of them just left two weeks ago. The only thing I am skeptical about in return is that you really like Mexican food, if that is your claim.

Best Tex Mex in world is Houston, Texas.  San Antonio and Austin are right there with Houston.

LA and Phoenix - it is not as good because it is healthier

TR does their best with the ingredients they can get - for example, guacamole is difficult to get here.

The Petron margaritas "on the rocks" - while expensive - are spot on.

Some folks seem to have a hard on for this place - I don't get it - they try and do a pretty good job - better than anyone else in the area.

I try to get there 1 x a week - soft taco is pretty good, cheese enchilada is pretty good - marg = great

I have no dog in this fight and this is my last comment here but I am confused. First you say you've only eaten there once - why would someone order a ceasar salad in a Mexican place is beyond me, however it suggests that even though you lived in an area with good Mexican restaurants, you're not particularly fond of Mexican food - and the second time you were there with "another board member" whose plate was mediocre because he said so? Or did you eat as well? For the record, I've also lived in an area with good Mexican restaurants in the US - if not the best - and also traveled extensively in Mexico, which more or less equalize our stand. And I don't care how hard is to believe my remark about "Mexican nationals recommend this place" it is not bullshit in fact one of them just left two weeks ago. The only thing I am skeptical about in return is that you really like Mexican food, if that is your claim.

Based on my own experience and what I have heard, I just find it hard to believe that anyone who knows good Mexican food would like Tequilla Reef. I could be wrong, but nothing in my experience nor anything I have heard has led me to believe they serve good Mexican food, nor even good Tex Mex. I wish I were wrong.

I ate some ceasar salad because the time I went was for one of their buffets and it was there. It was the best thing I ate that day.

I love Mexican food. Ceviche, Tacos al Pastor, on and on. One of my favorites was a fish(and shrimp) taco truck in La Paz; some of the best food I've eaten in my whole life. I've had meals on the street in Merida that I still remember to this day--including a chicken mole that was out of this world.

The best Mexican food I've ever eaten in Pattaya is the food I cook myself. I've eaten at Mike's, too. It was ok, but for the price I want more than ok. I tried Sunrise a couple times too, and was not impressed.

And many say, Long John Silver's makes great fish and chips!!!!

Well guys, thanks again for all your input as we certainly do have a great Caesar Salad along with our other food. We run good restaurants in both locations with some people preferring Pattaya more than Angeles City. Having a foreign restaurant in Thailand and the Philippines is not as easy as one would think, in fact doing business in Asia period takes hard work, tenacity and pride to be successful. That last statement would hold true anywhere. 

Personally, I'm a big foodie and give restaurants 3 or even 4 tries before I pass blanket judgement but that's just mean, to each his own.

Much appreciation for all your comments.

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

Best Tex Mex in world is Houston, Texas.  San Antonio and Austin are right there with Houston.

LA and Phoenix - it is not as good because it is healthier

TR does their best with the ingredients they can get - for example, guacamole is difficult to get here.

The Petron margaritas "on the rocks" - while expensive - are spot on.

Some folks seem to have a hard on for this place - I don't get it - they try and do a pretty good job - better than anyone else in the area.

I try to get there 1 x a week - soft taco is pretty good, cheese enchilada is pretty good - marg = great

I doubt it is difficult to find avocados, chillies, coriander and limes in Thailand to make fresh guacamole.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

Based on my own experience and what I have heard, I just find it hard to believe that anyone who knows good Mexican food would like Tequilla Reef. I could be wrong, but nothing in my experience nor anything I have heard has led me to believe they serve good Mexican food, nor even good Tex Mex. I wish I were wrong.

I ate some ceasar salad because the time I went was for one of their buffets and it was there. It was the best thing I ate that day.

I love Mexican food. Ceviche, Tacos al Pastor, on and on. One of my favorites was a fish(and shrimp) taco truck in La Paz; some of the best food I've eaten in my whole life. I've had meals on the street in Merida that I still remember to this day--including a chicken mole that was out of this world.

The best Mexican food I've ever eaten in Pattaya is the food I cook myself. I've eaten at Mike's, too. It was ok, but for the price I want more than ok. I tried Sunrise a couple times too, and was not impressed.

Ceviche is popular anywhere in Latin America.

It should be very fresh however; I got sick from a ceviche in Lima (Peru).

Pollo con mole and pavo con mole are indeed other classic Mexican dishes.

EDIT: “pavo con mole”, not “pato con mole” (pavo = turkey; pato = duck).

BTW a turkey is a strange animal: in English it is called “turkey” (the name of a country), in Portuguese it is called “peru” (the name of a different country).

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

I was there last Wednesday for rib night, no problems, meat fell off the bone, crispy fries and good coleslaw.

post-82617-0-12252400-1398587805_thumb.png

Ceviche is popular anywhere in Latin America.

fuck, i wish some restaurant in pattaya made good quality Peruvian style ceviche.... that shit is amazing.

i would be happy to make it myself, but im too lazy to go shop around for everything to make it.

Cinco de Mayo is this next Tuesday, so it must be a good time to celebrate with some Mexican food and xtras. What I miss most from my time living in Mexico is "Sonora Dogs". Hot dogs wrapped with bacon and cooked to perfection. Placed inside an oversized boat of a bun, garnished with chili, onions, peppers, tomato, cheese, mustard, mayo, catsup, Jalapeno peppers, chopped lettuce over the top and always served with 3 napkins. Was a toss-up between the Sonora Dog or Tamales served in a corn husk, as to which would be ordered that day. Some days they both were. Ahhhhh... do miss those days.

It's not about what you got.. It's all about what you can still get!

• 1 month later...

Another highlight of fine Mexican cuisine: crema de flor de calabaza.

post-73366-0-12440300-1402945788.jpg

I've never eaten at the Tequila Reef in Patts, but I've eaten at the one in AC many times and never had a bad experience.  Sure there are off days, but on the whole, I have no complaints.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never eaten at the Tequila Reef in Patts, but I've eaten at the one in AC many times and never had a bad experience. Sure there are off days, but on the whole, I have no complaints.

My understanding is that the original owner sold the place a few years ago and opened the one in Angeles. thus the one here now sucks, the one in Angeles is good. This place used to be good years ago.

Well guys, thanks again for all your input as we certainly do have a great Caesar Salad along with our other food. We run good restaurants in both locations with some people preferring Pattaya more than Angeles City. Having a foreign restaurant in Thailand and the Philippines is not as easy as one would think, in fact doing business in Asia period takes hard work, tenacity and pride to be successful. That last statement would hold true anywhere. 

Personally, I'm a big foodie and give restaurants 3 or even 4 tries before I pass blanket judgement but that's just mean, to each his own.

Much appreciation for all your comments.

My understanding is that the original owner sold the place a few years ago and opened the one in Angeles. thus the one here now sucks, the one in Angeles is good. This place used to be good years ago.

I think he owns both and also  the equivalent to Laamock on Philippine Addicts!  I have read more bad reviews about the AC TR than here, so rated I think you are wrong on all points.

I have not had a bad meal there, but I don't know Mexican food, I am from Melbourne the closet I have eaten is Taco Bells and a McDonald's Mexican Big Mac.

WTF is a Mexican Big Mac?

A guy named Rob from Sam Diego started Tequila Reef. He sold out several years ago and started Great American Rib in Bangkpk.

Retired

Tried the place 3 times and the second and third time wonder why I came back.

• 3 weeks later...

Chicken wings and Margaritas in 2 weeks!!!

Just a normal Big mac but you have you climb a wall to get a bite

Countdown Clocks

A guy named Rob from Sam Diego started Tequila Reef. He sold out several years ago and started Great American Rib in Bangkpk.

El Maco

post-82617-0-89371000-1405936067.png

• 1 year later...

OK, I have been there many times, but not lately. Mostly to drink margaritas during rain showers in the afternoons of the rainy season.

The food is prepared by people who maybe have never eaten real Mexican food, and therefore, the food is not really Mexican food, although it looks like Mexican food.  In other words, it is prepared by people who have seen photos of Mexican food and were told to make it. The result is something that isn't what it looks like, but sometimes in a good way. Often times the food is "finer" than Mexican food.

As a long time resident of Mexico, I still enjoy the food at Tequila Reed as long as I don't think of it as Mexican food.

And the margaritas are drinkworthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.

I really think you are being way too charitable in your evaluation of the "Mexican" food at the Reef. "Fine" is the last word I would use for that slop. 

Well I am going to stick up for TR.Been there 5 times and found the food extremely good and in a location very handy for after drinks

Archived