IGNORED

Tequila Reef, never again

Last Sunday, out of curiosity, I tried the tex-mex restaurant Tequila Reef Cantina on Soi 7 off Beach Road and the food was even worse than I could ever have imagined.
For most of the time I was the only customer inside; a couple left not long after I arrived.
Moreover the prices were higher than mentioned on their website and on top of that 7 % VAT was charged.
I do not know if service was included.
I ordered:
Mexican Tortilla Soup (small): on the website 90 baht, in the restaurant 125 baht
http://www.tequilareefpattaya.com/pdf/page2.pdf
Blackened Duck Breast: on the website 335 baht, in the restaurant 395 baht
http://www.tequilareefpattaya.com/pdf/page3.pdf
I spent a total of 600 baht, a purified water, the 7 % VAT and some coins for the unfriendly waitress included.
On a side note, if the owner wants to use Spanish words, he should do so correctly.
On the gents room I saw “senors”; this should be “señores”, plural of “señor” (in Spain “caballeros” is used).
On the website I see “platos mexicano” and “platos mexicana”; this should be “platos mexicanos” (masculine plural).

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It aint great thats for sure

Last visit ordered the big pork ribs and got a half rack of pork with a half rack of beef slid underneath

Corn chips were very stale

Sides were ok

Staff there are nice

Not a good look when the owner sits 3/4 drunk in the corner either

Yeah

For a place in Soi 7, surrounded by..................other places.

It was not so good.

What's the go? I pulled in there, for dinner. The food was ok, nothing special. Though I don't like Mexican, I was hoping to find a decent steak and salad.

The head Waitress was the usual hard TG. Sussed me out.

The bar was patronised by an American Guy who obviously didn't know he was in Patts, but thought he was in Tijuana, judging from his conversation.

He was the only one present.

OK conversation, but stank of Newbie.

The Waitresses were good. Good Service, but can you do?

Yep, that pretty much sums up this place.

Although they must do something right, as they have been open for many years.

I have just never found out what !

TR a few years back believe it or not used to be a good restaurant excellent ribs

I went for a meal last week was proper shite

A better option for tex mex food is the Lone Star restaurant soi Lenkee not brilliant but a lot better and cheaper than TR

The mango margaritas are good.

Retired

That's one less restaurant for me to consider.

Robw

Sue's Place on 13/4 if you want good Tex-Mex. 

I walk past Tequila Reef quite regularly............

.............on my way to Seaside Restaurant up the alley next to it opposite Silver Star 2.  

TR is the most consistently inconsistent restaurant I've ever been in. I've had good and bad times in there and there is no way of telling which TR you are going to enter.

I always had descent mexican meal at Tequila Reef (both in AC and Patts). Will be back...

I had 2 meals in there, and was disappointed both times.

Haven't been back since, and obviously have not missed anything.

I agree with the OP too, food isn't great and much too expensive. I agree Lone Star is better, but my favorite is still Mike's in Jomtien, even though I haven't been there in quite a while as it's such a long way to go for food. The one thing Tequila Reef has going for it is the location.

SN7tukw.gif

I've only eaten in the restaurant once, which was a long time ago, but the spread they used to provide at the old (pre-expansion) Sapphire used to be very good.

Has it gone off recently?

I enjoyed my meal in there despite the staff communication difficulties, but it's their country!

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

There are much better (and cheaper) choices on and off Soi 7: Bierstüble, Chalet Suisse and even Pig and Whistle.

True, but I just fancied a spicy sausage lol

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Sue's Place on 13/4 if you want good Tex-Mex. 

+1

New Taco House on BuaKhao open yet ?

I enjoyed my meal in there despite the staff communication difficulties, but it's their country!

I dont think its got anything to do with Nationalities, in general they just dont give a f*ck.

I have only eaten at the Pattaya location once and really don't remember it being good or bad...

But the restaurant in AC is excellent.

Maybe you missed this on the website: Please Note: Menu item prices are subject to change at anytime!

Men lose a lot of money chasing women, but seldom lose women while chasing money.

Another place living on its past reputation.

Used to be good now barely average and top dollar to boot.

The more the cash, the better the gash

Usually 'name and shame' threads on businesses here have guys coming out of the woodwork expressing their undying support for the place, that they think there's a hidden agenda and that they've never had a problem, and the owner is a top notch guy.

Not seeing much of that on this one, interesting.

Anyways, ate there a few years ago and thought the East LA burrito to be excellent.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

It's the old concept vs. execution thing you see so much of in Thailand.

Great concept, but poor execution. 

There was a time when Tequila Reef was a sure thing. Then it became hit-and-miss and that turned into more misses than hits, so I gave up on the place.

I've never been there sober. That being noted, it hit the spot but a day old hot dog probably would have too. I do know for sure that some ingredients they use may not be "traditional" ingredients. A  good example would be the cheese, pretty much any cheese that I have had in Asia I found to be not up to par with, or maybe tasting like American cheeses. I think it mostly comes from Australia. I'm not bashing Oz here, I'm just saying the cheese tastes different and even has a different consistency.

I also think that some of the dishes seem to be premade frozen then heated up dishes for example the taquitos, I may be wrong but I believe they come from a plastic bag.

I think one quality that all tex mex food should have is freshness, that may be difficult to achieve there and may have something to do with the "higher" prices.

The most disgusting food I have eaten in the last three months in Pattaya.

I actually walked out feeling angry I had actually paid for such muck...

Archived