IGNORED

Fight fans! your best fight ever last 25 years UK,U.S.A

tweedle-dee

The whole fight is on Youtube. It is in four parts. This is Part 4.

Lloyd is now on the after-dinner speech circuit. He is excellent and very personable. He seems to be well fixed financially, unlike most ex-boxers.

im so glad i put this post out great fun! thanks for sending.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hagler VS. Hearns, 1985.  One of the best. 

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.

not sure how you work that out, Eubank is now 46, Benn is 49 and Collins 48????? Collins did all his early career in America,,,,,funny how when they both got beat it,s because they were past there sell by date

I think both Benn and Eubank were more ring-worn than Collins when the fights took place. Collins was a real tough guy and only lost 3 times on points, earlier in his career, one of which was a majority decision. He career reads 39 fights, 36 wins and 3 losses

Nigel Benn had been in some real tear-ups and been knocked out by Michael Watson in 6 rounds, TKO'd by Eubank in 9, and lost by split decision, in a fierce battle withThulani Malinga. He was beaten in his last two fights with Collins, retiring in rounds 4, then 6 respectively. His final record reads , won 42 (KO 35), lost 5 (KO 4), drawn 1.

Eubank had 44 fights before he first met Collins and was a bit shop soiled by then. He lost narrowly in their first fight (114-116: 113-115: 113-114). Their second fight was a win for Collins by split decision. Chris stayed around too long and was easily beaten by the great Joe Calzaghe, and very badly mauled by Carl Thompson in Chris's last 2 fights. He first lost by UD and in the second was retired by his corner after 9 brutal rounds. Eubank's face was a dreadful sight at the end of the bout. He has since been declared bankrupt, which seems a very sad end for a truly brave guy. This last fight was the only time he was ever stopped. His record reads, won 45 (KO 23), lost 5 (KO 1), drawn 2.

Nigel Benn - Gerald McClellan is the best fight I've ever seen, simply awesome!

One of the best fights ever despite the tragic consequences for Gerald McClellan.

Second only to Hagler - Hearns IMO.

Gatti v Ward. Take your pick. All 3 fights were epic.

Going back even earlier, this has to be an all time classic: Sugar Ray Robinson Vs Carmen Basilio II (1958)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jRGJ8fKgO0

If all brides are beautiful, where do ugly wives come from? ~ Roy 'Chubby' Brown

I'm looking forward to Golovkin/ Alvaraz  supposedly it's being looked at, I really think Golovkin will win

Going back even earlier, this has to be an all time classic: Sugar Ray Robinson Vs Carmen Basilio II (1958)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jRGJ8fKgO0

I met Basilio about 8-10 years ago -- he was a really funny guy!

Benn versus Iran Berkeley or Barkeley? Was an all action fight in the US and we'll worth a watch. One of my faves for sheer skill was Hagler v Sugar Ray! Also the early Tyson fights when he was under the guidance of Cus D'mato.

I'm looking forward to Golovkin/ Alvaraz  supposedly it's being looked at, I really think Golovkin will win

I think Alvarez is going to take a little time after the Mayweather fight (which I expect to end in a loss for him) or for them to give him a "soft" fight after Mayweather.

One HUGE thing that Golovkin has going for him is the fact that he is promoted by K2 (Klitschkos) -- that means he can theoretically fight a fighter who is promoted by Golden Boy OR one who is promoted by Top Rank.  

The sad fact in the U.S. is that Golden Boy fighters and Top Rank fighters are NOT fighting each other any time soon.  That means no Chavez, Jr. vs Alvarez fight (among MANY others!), which would sell as many tickets as they could print in Mexico.  Both would appear to be potential Golovkin opponents, though.

1982 Pryor Vs Arguello 1 ;)

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Hagler-Hearns is probably my favorite.  A lot of people don't care for the lower weight divisions, but I like them and another one of my favorite fights is the first Michael Carbajal - Humberto Gonzalez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_dJQTYk1U

Since this is a Thailand oriented forum, I'll through a shout in for the 2006 FOTY between Somsak Sithchatchawal - Mahyar Monshipour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGYnc2XJiE

and speaking of Golovkin, I was living in Bangkok in 2003 when the World Boxing Championships (amateur) were held there. Golovkin won the middleweight championship, knocking out Lucian Bute along the way. Not a particularly exciting fight, but a great KO especially with Bute wearing headgear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLaNwWP95jA

Tweedle-dee, do you follow any boxing over in Thailand? I started following the Asian scene (most Japan, Philippines, Thailand fighters) when I was there.  Now whenever I'm in Thailand, I'm always on the lookout for fights and have been to some good ones including title bouts. Usually some good fights on TV, too.

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Hagler-Hearns is probably my favorite.  A lot of people don't care for the lower weight divisions, but I like them and another one of my favorite fights is the first Michael Carbajal - Humberto Gonzalez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_dJQTYk1U

Since this is a Thailand oriented forum, I'll through a shout in for the 2006 FOTY between Somsak Sithchatchawal - Mahyar Monshipour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGYnc2XJiE

and speaking of Golovkin, I was living in Bangkok in 2003 when the World Boxing Championships (amateur) were held there. Golovkin won the middleweight championship, knocking out Lucian Bute along the way. Not a particularly exciting fight, but a great KO especially with Bute wearing headgear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLaNwWP95jA

Tweedle-dee, do you follow any boxing over in Thailand? I started following the Asian scene (most Japan, Philippines, Thailand fighters) when I was there.  Now whenever I'm in Thailand, I'm always on the lookout for fights and have been to some good ones including title bouts. Usually some good fights on TV, too.

EXCELLENT call!

I think both Benn and Eubank were more ring-worn than Collins when the fights took place. Collins was a real tough guy and only lost 3 times on points, earlier in his career, one of which was a majority decision. He career reads 39 fights, 36 wins and 3 losses

Nigel Benn had been in some real tear-ups and been knocked out by Michael Watson in 6 rounds, TKO'd by Eubank in 9, and lost by split decision, in a fierce battle withThulani Malinga. He was beaten in his last two fights with Collins, retiring in rounds 4, then 6 respectively. His final record reads , won 42 (KO 35), lost 5 (KO 4), drawn 1.

Eubank had 44 fights before he first met Collins and was a bit shop soiled by then. He lost narrowly in their first fight (114-116: 113-115: 113-114). Their second fight was a win for Collins by split decision. Chris stayed around too long and was easily beaten by the great Joe Calzaghe, and very badly mauled by Carl Thompson in Chris's last 2 fights. He first lost by UD and in the second was retired by his corner after 9 brutal rounds. Eubank's face was a dreadful sight at the end of the bout. He has since been declared bankrupt, which seems a very sad end for a truly brave guy. This last fight was the only time he was ever stopped. His record reads, won 45 (KO 23), lost 5 (KO 1), drawn 2.

thanks so much for your deatailed reply im loving this and the detail in wich you guys are returning,great fun and will get stuck into youtude!

Benn versus Iran Berkeley or Barkeley? Was an all action fight in the US and we'll worth a watch. One of my faves for sheer skill was Hagler v Sugar Ray! Also the early Tyson fights when he was under the guidance of Cus D'mato.

You are referring to Sugar Ray Leonard of course. Leonard himself said that there was only one 'real' Sugar Ray, and that was the greatest pound for pound ever, Sugar Ray Robinson.

Robbie's record, after 12 years of boxing, was 138 wins and only 3 defeats, when he first retired following his loss, due to heat exhaustion, when fighting Joey Maxim for the World's Light Heavyweight title. Sadly he came back and went on to have over 200 fights in total. Inevitably he started to lose after turning 40 years of age. He lost 19 times in his whole career. He had a granite chin as well as a tremendous punch in each hand. His only stoppage despite facing some of the heaviest punchers in the Welter and Middleweight divisions, for over 25 years, was the one to the light heavyweight Maxim, who outweighed him by about 25 pounds. As mentioned, the heat at the ringside, on one of the hottest night in NY, (venue Yankee Stadium), made worse by the huge ring-lights necessary for filming purposes, was immense. The temperature was 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Ruby Goldstein, the very famous referee and ex-fighter, collapsed after about 10 rounds and had to be substituted. Robinson failed to come out after round 13. He was completely dehydrated. He had won 12 of the rounds on 2 of the judges score-cards. Robinson had skipped around the ring all of the fight and Maxim had just plodded after him.

Championship bouts were over 15 rounds in those days.

Robinson also had 85 amateur fights, without loss, winning over 45 by KO, many in the first round.

Leonard was great but he had less than 40 fights. Despite being a very rich man and with eye problems, (a previously detached retina) he made an ill advised comeback at the age of 41 after a 6 years lay-off . He was badly beaten and suffered a TKO. He then retired for good.

Benn versus Iran Berkeley or Barkeley? Was an all action fight in the US and we'll worth a watch. One of my faves for sheer skill was Hagler v Sugar Ray! Also the early Tyson fights when he was under the guidance of Cus D'mato.You are referring to Sugar Ray Leonard of course. Leonard himself said that there was only one 'real' Sugar Ray, and that was the greatest pound for pound ever, Sugar Ray Robinson.

Robbie's record, after 12 years of boxing, was 138 wins and only 3 defeats, when he first retired following his loss, due to heat exhaustion, when fighting Joey Maxim for the World's Light Heavyweight title. Sadly he came back and went on to have over 200 fights in total. Inevitably he started to lose after turning 40 years of age. He lost 19 times in his whole career. He had a granite chin as well as a tremendous punch in each hand. His only stoppage despite facing some of the heaviest punchers in the Welter and Middleweight divisions, for over 25 years, was the one to the light heavyweight Maxim, who outweighed him by about 25 pounds. As mentioned, the heat at the ringside, on one of the hottest night in NY, (venue Yankee Stadium), made worse by the huge ring-lights necessary for filming purposes, was immense. The temperature was 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Ruby Goldstein, the very famous referee and ex-fighter, collapsed after about 10 rounds and had to be substituted. Robinson failed to come out after round 13. He was completely dehydrated. He had won 12 of the rounds on 2 of the judges score-cards. Robinson had skipped around the ring all of the fight and Maxim had just plodded after him.

Championship bouts were over 15 rounds in those days.

Robinson also had 85 amateur fights, without loss, winning over 45 by KO, many in the first round.

Leonard was great but he had less than 40 fights. Despite being a very rich man and with eye problems, (a previously detached retina) he made an ill advised comeback at the age of 41 after a 6 years lay-off . He was badly beaten and suffered a TKO. He then retired for good.

I actually just watched a documentary on sugar ray Robinson and after watching that I do belive he was one of the best ever!

The lamotta fights alone were an exhibition of sheer brutality...

Great documentary,I don't think the man got the recognition he deserved,and to die penniless seems to be the way a lot of the fighters from that great era passed away

One of the great moments in sports was when the Fan Man dropped from they sky and landed in the ring during the 7th round of the Holyfield-Bowe Heavyweight Championship bout at Cesars Palace.  I had ordered the event on pay-per-view, got some beer and invited some friends, and we witnessed history.

Retired

On TV - Taylor vs Chavez

Live - Ben v Eubank at NEC.

Also Live - McGuigan v Pedrosa at Loftus Road was probably my most enjoyable although I wouldn't call it the "best". Again in that category Watt v OGrady - Kelvin Hall.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

On TV - Taylor vs Chavez

Live - Ben v Eubank at NEC.

Also Live - McGuigan v Pedrosa at Loftus Road was probably my most enjoyable although I wouldn't call it the "best". Again in that category Watt v OGrady - Kelvin Hall.

Taylor - Chavez great fight. HBO did a nice documentary on it as part of their Legendary Nights series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvCdtVwRrSw

Another of my favorite fights is this classic from 2000, Morales - Barrera I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8s8aLttUrk

Somewhat off topic, but of interest I hope.

Klitschko versus Povetkin is on for October 5th at a Russian venue. Wladimir will receive $17.5 millions and Alexander $5.8 millions.

The Russian will be a huge under-dog. The younger Klitschko brother, Doctor Steelhammer, is now 37 and still young for a heavyweight. He has not lost in nearly ten years.

Povetkin is 33 y.o. and at 188cm, is 10cm shorter than the Doc.

The fight was finalised today.

HI GUYS! ive just discovered my (missing post) i put this in barstool banter but was moved by the mods into its proper forum, i must say the feed back here has been great and so much accurate info with great links even up and coming fight news is more than welcome,thanks john208 and every one elses contribution, cant wait for further banter as i dont have a TV and dont want one STRANGE GUY!

Barrera and Morales had a few good fights, three in total I think and they really didn't like each other.

Barrera and Morales had a few good fights, three in total I think and they really didn't like each other.

The mention of Barrera brought to mind some recollections of Prince Na-seem Hamed.

I saw quite a few of his fights and he was always the complete showman, and his ring entrances were something else. In one he used a most realistic flying carpet travelling down the aisle, finishing up with his usual trademark somersault over the top rope. He was very unorthodox and had the most tremendous punch. Barrera of course completely out-boxed him, handing him his only defeat. His record reads, Won 36 ( KO 31), Lost 1 (KO 0) , KO% 83.78. The last figure is quite remarkable for a featherweight, and is as far as I know the highest ever recorded for that division.

After retirement, following a very ordinary points win at a London venue, his weight ballooned to almost 190lbs. He is only 163 cm tall (5'-4” approx), and apparently resembles a little barrel. Not that anyone ever says that to his face of course, even at his present age of 39 y.o.!!!! As most of you will know, he served some time in prison, following a conviction for dangerous driving,after badly injuring another motorist, whilst demonstrating his hugely expensive sports coupé. He is still revered as a god in his country of birth, in the Middle East.

AH NAZ!   i personaly couldnt stand the kid reminded me of that big headed scouse git john conte, but both great boxers,was once hospitalised in a bed next to conte's old man who took some drugs and had a binge to celebrate his birthday and ended up next to me! great stuff keep it coming, any one remember the GALAXY brothers   and an uncrowned robbed of victory out in nevada collin jones from the rhonda valleys ?

hey duke i cant wait if thats looking 100%

Archived