IGNORED

Fight fans! your best fight ever last 25 years UK,U.S.A

tweedle-dee

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

thread bump.

Thailand has a new world champion as Surin's Knockout CP Freshmart won a unanimous decision over WBA minimumweight champion Byron Rojas in Khon Kaen today (link). Too bad the fight itself was a stinker. Most fights in Thailand are held outdoors in the middle of the day, presumably to give the home fighter the advantage of being better acclimated to the hot conditions. But, I think that sometimes both fighters are affected and just get too tired to put on a good fight.

Three world champions for the Thais now. Two at minimumweight and one at batam. Couple of title fights to take place in LOS in the coming months. I'm going to try to go to at least one.

There's been a few good fights elsewhere recently. Thurman-Porter this past Saturday and Vargas-Salido earlier in the month were both excellent.

I'm reading that GGG-Eubank will come to the UK if/when it is signed

GGG has REALLY won the fans over here in So Cal -- the Mexican fight fans LOVE him, which says a lot about his style (seek and DESTROY)

Time does fly and it is now a bit more than 30 years ago but for me it was Hagler v. Hearns in 1985.

Some consider it the greatest 1st round of all time.

GGG has REALLY won the fans over here in So Cal -- the Mexican fight fans LOVE him, which says a lot about his style (seek and DESTROY)

Mexican style!  I'm also glad that they put Roman Gonzalez on a few GGG cards to get him some exposure. Been following him for a while. Looks like Gonzalez's next fight is a move up to 115 to take on undefeated WBC champ Cuadras.

Crawford-Postal should be really good later this month. Canelo-Smith in the fall, on the other hand, is total bullshit.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to  a great title fight in Ayutthaya yesterday, WBO World Batamweight Championship. The best fight I've seen in person out of all the fights I've gone to in Thailand. Lots of action, both guys taste the canvas. Here's the video. Worth watching if you're a boxing fan.

Mexican style!  I'm also glad that they put Roman Gonzalez on a few GGG cards to get him some exposure. Been following him for a while. Looks like Gonzalez's next fight is a move up to 115 to take on undefeated WBC champ Cuadras.

Crawford-Postal should be really good later this month. Canelo-Smith in the fall, on the other hand, is total bullshit.

Wow...we both swung and missed on those!  555

Eubank goes mental and demands total control of the promotion, so Kell Brook swoops in and accepts what GGG was offering right away - I heard the deal took less than 4 hours (start to finish) to close.  Kudos to Brook for stepping up, although I think his chances are slim to none vs GGG

I was at Crawford/Postol....ugly, fairly boring fight.  Some are very critical of Crawford and said he looked like Mayweather, but I see his strategy - control the bout and win; worry about "looking good" in his next bout.  I give him a pass because his last couple of fights were far from boring.  

They're pairing Chocolatito's next bout here in LA with the rematch of Soto Karass and Kamegui.  First bout (draw) between those two was a brutal slugfest - all action!   They've got a lot of losses and draws between them, but you KNOW that these two are going to bring it EVERY time they step into the ring.

Nice day/night of fights on HBO on Sept. 10: GGG/Brook in afternoon from UK; then Soto Karass/Kamegai  and Chocolatito (moving up in wieght) vs Cuadras that evening.

Yeah,  I saw the first Soto Karass - Kamegai on TV. Fun fight. I'm in LOS at the moment and watched a replay of Crawford-Postal on Thai TV. Postal was simply no match for Crawford. I have no problem watching a skilled fighter like Crawford. I thought it would be a very competitive fight. Not Crawford's fault it wasn't. Kid's got skills, that's for sure. I'm going to another title fight here in Thailand next week (Wanheng-Juarez), then it's back to Pattaya for more R&R. Btw, these fights in LOS are free :)

• 2 months later...

OK, I'll give this a thread bump to see if there are any boxing fans still around here or has everyone gone over to MMA ... lol.

One of the boxing websites I follow badlefthook.com does a Classic Fight Night where folks watch and discuss some of the great fights of the past. One of this week's fights was this 1982 FOTY.

Chacon-Limon IV

OK, I'll give this a thread bump to see if there are any boxing fans still around here or has everyone gone over to MMA ... lol.

One of the boxing websites I follow badlefthook.com does a Classic Fight Night where folks watch and discuss some of the great fights of the past. One of this week's fights was this 1982 FOTY.

Chacon-Limon IV

Great fight.  I follow Bad Left Hook on Twitter - has some good stuff.

Sad side note - Bobby Chacon passed away last month.  He was a warrior, but, sadly, all of those wars took a heavy toll on him later in life.

Despite his physical/mental ailments, Bobby always had a smile on his face whenever I saw him at boxing events.

• 2 years later...

Gonna bump this thread with some sad news. Pernell Whitaker struck and killed by a car last night. RIP Sweat Pea.

I was really saddened to see the news of Sweet Pea’s death this morning.

Given my work and the friendships that I have developed in boxing, I have had a number of “how in the Hell did I end up here?” moments. One of the best was about 5 years ago when a friend asked me to take care of Pernell - make sure nobody bugged him too much, that he got back to his room, etc. It turned into a very late night, but it was SO fucking great to hang out with a guy I had idolized and to watch him deal with other champions and fans - Ricky Hatton asked Pernell to take a photo with him; Holyfield (not the most personable guy) was laughing and joking with him. It was a night I’ll never forget.

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived