IGNORED

Best Italian Restaurant

if u fancy for italian food there's another place worth to try and is named "La Bocca"

on Tripadvisor it's claimed to be n.2 on the ranking for italian food in Pattaya area

I'm been there 3 or 4 times - I don't recall exactly - and everytime everything was good and food delicious

price: not cheaper, not at a level for bilionaires only, but not cheaper

if u r up to try their spaghetti carbonara they finish them rubbing the pasta on a Parmesan wheel right next to your table, a kinda show serving but the taste is unbeliavely good 

the reason why I don't pay a visit to them so frequently is just because they're located in a little bit outskirt area (Thappraya Rd, 400 mts after Pan Pan) and sometimes I'm quite lazy catching a motorbike taxi for getting me there

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while if you let me say a word about an italian place to avoid I would say "Casa Fellini" - soi 13/3

well I've to say the owner, his wife and all the staff is actually super friendly; the owner itself speaks at least 4 languages so almost everyone can feel comfortable when ordering or talking waiting for the food comes

imo the main issue there is that... if u never eat italian and this is your first try you'll probably leave thinking that, all in all, that italian food stories you've heard is just all smoke an no roast....

pizza is ordinary, pasta sometimes come overcooked and sometimes undercooked, meat has a quite quality standard but in the kitchen they litterally ruin all the qualities adding sauces without asking the customer in advance if they want or not

last but not least, nay probably the main reason for which I don't like this place, is that happened to me several times the place setting (table cloth, table napkin, etc) where dirty; not dirty in the way someone used and they "recycled" to another table but simply carrying indelible sygns of wear that can't be taken away neither if you burn everything

I'm definitively not a kind of an hypochondriac person but this situation leave me puzzled over everytime I step in (there's a travel buddy who's in confidence with the owner so, sometimes, I've to give up and go "eat" there)

2 hours ago, Maverick__83 said:

if u fancy for italian food there's another place worth to try and is named "La Bocca"

on Tripadvisor it's claimed to be n.2 on the ranking for italian food in Pattaya area

I'm been there 3 or 4 times - I don't recall exactly - and everytime everything was good and food delicious

price: not cheaper, not at a level for bilionaires only, but not cheaper

if u r up to try their spaghetti carbonara they finish them rubbing the pasta on a Parmesan wheel right next to your table, a kinda show serving but the taste is unbeliavely good 

the reason why I don't pay a visit to them so frequently is just because they're located in a little bit outskirt area (Thappraya Rd, 400 mts after Pan Pan) and sometimes I'm quite lazy catching a motorbike taxi for getting me there

Do you happen to know who is ranked no.1?

4 hours ago, Maverick__83 said:

pizza is ordinary, pasta sometimes come overcooked and sometimes undercooked, meat has a quite quality standard but in the kitchen they litterally ruin all the qualities adding sauces without asking the customer in advance if they want or not

last but not least, nay probably the main reason for which I don't like this place, is that happened to me several times the place setting (table cloth, table napkin, etc) where dirty; not dirty in the way someone used and they "recycled" to another table but simply carrying indelible sygns of wear that can't be taken away neither if you burn everything

I fully agree with your comment.

I ate there twice. Pizza dough was too tough and the lack of cleanliness -table dirty- left much to be desired.

I have probably replied with the same info to this thread before, but it has been a while.

IMNSHO Gian's in Jomtien is far and away the best Italian food in the Pattaya area. It is next door to Bruno's on Thapparaya. It is not cheap. I have heard good things about La Bocca, but seldom get over to Pats and never have tried.

Also worthy of mention is AquaPazza, also on Thappraya but near Prattamnak. It is much cheaper than Gian's, but has good food as well.

21 hours ago, robert said:

Do you happen to know who is ranked no.1?

based on the reviews of Tripadvisor, if talking about italian food, n.1 italian seems to be....drumroll.... a restaurant with a French name :D

never been there so I can't say any word on it; just I checked a few pictures and the place seems to be classy - also the portions seems to belong to an the high-end restaurant (i.e. not generous at all, see below examples)

Cattura11.JPG

Cattura123.JPG

Cattura1234.JPG

Cattura12345.JPG

15 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Not pretentious but good food.

Grottino front.jpg

Grottino back.jpg

I do confirm, this place is good too 

1 hour ago, Maverick__83 said:

this place is good too 

I have been there three times just to eat their delicious pasta dishes:)

Only negative thing I would say about this restaurant is portion sizes are way too small to feel full. It's just my opinion:D

3 hours ago, Maverick__83 said:

based on the reviews of Tripadvisor, if talking about italian food, n.1 italian seems to be....drumroll.... a restaurant with a French name :D

never been there so I can't say any word on it; just I checked a few pictures and the place seems to be classy - also the portions seems to belong to an the high-end restaurant (i.e. not generous at all, see below examples)

Cattura123.JPG

Cattura1234.JPG

Cattura12345.JPG

We have dined there on several occasions, I would say it is more nouvelle cuisine as opposed to haute cuisine and do not class it as Italian as it leans far more in the direction of a French Restaurant, although there are menu items from various countries.

If you are a gin connoisseur it is worth arriving early as they have probably the best selection of quality gins to be found in Thailand.

If wanting to try their food, they do a 5 Course gourmet tasting menu:

Cafe De Amis.JPG

https://www.cafe-des-amis.com/

7 hours ago, Maverick__83 said:

Cattura11.JPG

Cattura12345.JPG

Besides being about only 1 mouthful, what is that?

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:43, ChiFlyer said:

I have probably replied with the same info to this thread before, but it has been a while.

IMNSHO Gian's in Jomtien is far and away the best Italian food in the Pattaya area. It is next door to Bruno's on Thapparaya. It is not cheap. I have heard good things about La Bocca, but seldom get over to Pats and never have tried.

Also worthy of mention is AquaPazza, also on Thappraya but near Prattamnak. It is much cheaper than Gian's, but has good food as well.

Just wish Aquapazza would display menu outside, my missus is a little apprehensive or maybe dreading that there will be nothing she likes available.

11 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

Besides being about only 1 mouthful, what is that?

Bit difficult from that picture, however, I seem to think my lass had it one time and it is Beef Carpaccio. 

A mouthful? I think not, they are more of a shaving as opposed to a slice.

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

We have dined there on several occasions, I would say it is more nouvelle cuisine as opposed to haute cuisine and do not class it as Italian as it leans far more in the direction of a French Restaurant, although there are menu items from various countries.

If you are a gin connoisseur it is worth arriving early as they have probably the best selection of quality gins to be found in Thailand.

If wanting to try their food, they do a 5 Course gourmet tasting menu:

Cafe De Amis.JPG

https://www.cafe-des-amis.com/

A little pricy but looks fantastic, I might have to try it when next in Pattaya

23 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I completely agree. My lady friend and I have dined there several times and both of us like it. Yes, she is Thai and not that big a fan of Farang food for the most part, but she does enjoy both Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin. These are probably my favorite two restaurants in the Pattaya area. They are not cheap by any means. Be ready to drop 4,000 baht for a full dinner and wine for two. I very much like the Irish Coffee at Cafe des Amis.

Only problem for me is that Cafe des Amis is closed on Sundays, which is the lady friend's day off. hmm - at 4,000 baht maybe that is a good thing. :)

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I completely agree. My lady friend and I have dined there several times and both of us like it. Yes, she is Thai and not that big a fan of Farang food for the most part, but she does enjoy both Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin. These are probably my favorite two restaurants in the Pattaya area. They are not cheap by any means. Be ready to drop 4,000 baht for a full dinner and wine for two. I very much like the Irish Coffee at Cafe des Amis.

Only problem for me is that Cafe des Amis is closed on Sundays, which is the lady friend's day off. hmm - at 4,000 baht maybe that is a good thing. :)

Seeing as the thread is about Italian restaurants I did not mention Au Bon Coin, it is however worth a visit. I remember the first time we went there we drove past the entrance 3 times before realising where it was, plus if rainy and your lass is in high heels.:Evil_Grin2: The term quaint springs to mind, whilst the owner is a touch eccentric,  I like the place.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Seeing as the thread is about Italian restaurants I did not mention Au Bon Coin, it is however worth a visit. I remember the first time we went there we drove past the entrance 3 times before realising where it was, plus if rainy and your lass is in high heels.:Evil_Grin2: The term quaint springs to mind, whilst the owner is a touch eccentric,  I like the place.

For others -> there are separate threads on both Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin. Yes, Josie the Au bon Coin owner is a bit eccentric, but he is also a damn good chef and from everything I hear a very good person. oh - reservations required at Au bon Coin and suggested at Cafe des Amis.

16 hours ago, jimboh said:

Just wish Aquapazza would display menu outside, my missus is a little apprehensive or maybe dreading that there will be nothing she likes available.

Agreed on the outside menu. However, they have daily specials which are usually pretty good. The daily specials tend to focus on seafood, so if the missuses is good with that you should be ok.

Off of the regular menu, I have had the spaghetti and clams, which was great once and so so a second time albiet the second time was just before Songkran. The Calabrese Sausage was a little disappointing. 

Go with the specials.

• 2 months later...

as Italian in my opinion the best place with the best price-quality standard is one in pratumnak area

it is called Kotta

it is on soi kasetsin 9

fritto misto

linguine allo scoglio

linguine all'aragosta

these 3 dishes are in the top of the list and anytime I come to Pattaya I go eat there at least 5 times a week

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 08:13, Maverick__83 said:

I'm Italian and I'm quite surprised in this thread I've found only a couple of msg mentioning Trattoria Toscana on beach road (close to Soi 6)

but if we're talking about the quality.... oh my god they're simply unbeatable....

the owner has his own farm located in Pattaya outskirt and he exactly knows every single minute of life of the meat you've on the dish

I agree, Trattoria Pizzeria Toscana is a very good experience. I first went there in 2006 and eat there a few times each trip to Pattaya. Service and quality of food has been excellent every year I've visited. Classy/elegant place to enjoy a leisurely meal..

Beef carpaccio and lamb ravioli in September was very nice. They usually have some interesting specials, sometimes using ingredients from the owners farm (quail, etc). A pleasant way to relax after a Soi 6 ravaging. (Not cheap, but worth it IMO)

IMG-2283.JPG

IMG-2282.JPG

Grappa at the Woodlands Suites seves good Italian food, with good service in a 5|* surrounding, and a price to match, but cannot compare to any others as only ate there.

Italian on beach road, 50yards from Discovery Beach hotel was well populated when we ate in the Thai restaurant half "Mom Toloy" ?? 

• 2 months later...

I ate at Il Peccatore on soi Len Kee tonight. This is an excellent Italian restaurant with huge portions and significantly cheaper then Rinapp.

I had roast duck legs with potato on special at 300 baht. Really good. Bruschetta Pomodoro for 90 baht, 5 pieces as apposed to 3 at Rinapp. Coffee 50 baht. Free bread and free Cello shot after the meal. I recommend this restaurant very highly, especially for the prices although I had a take away pizza a few weeks ago which I thought was soggy. Pretty sure it was like 240 baht.

On 27/07/2018 at 19:14, callof said:

i reckon you'll always struggle with Italian food outside of Italy, as the food is fairly simple, and rely's on the quality of the produce; which you wont find in Patts.

Toscana has their own farm so they are able to grow their own quality produce. And since they also raise livestock they not only have fresh meat, but fresh eggs to make the pasta and goat milk for cheese.

On 24/07/2018 at 12:53, Maverick__83 said:

in the previous post I've forgot to mention that, on the same building, there's also their sister restaurant MOOM TALAY (Thai cuisine)

it means that if you like to bring your tilak for a dinner both of you can be happy and leave with a full stomach

tosca.JPG

I was initially attracted by Trattoria Toscano.  Not least because they also offer Thai food...essential for my significant other!

But when I went on TripAdvisor to check their reviews, I got a little disenchanted. 

If the more negative TA reviews are to be believed, it seems that if someone in your party wants to eat Thai (even if everyone else eats Italian), everyone gets relegated to the non air-conditioned 'garden area' serviced primarily by the Thai restaurant.

To be honest, the owner of Toscano seemed to get a little bit uppity when this was raised by reviewers...suggesting that those paying for (cheaper) Thai food shouldn't get the table-cloth service afforded to customers ordering Italian food! 

There also seems to be frequent problems with the Thai food coming out at a different time to the Italian food.

Tried the new place A couple of doors down from Steak and co . Very good food , have an Italian chef and the grub tastes just like it should . An unusual decor as it was that gogo bar for about  year and still looks it . Cant remember the name but would recommend ans reasonable price.

Archived