IGNORED

Best Italian Restaurant

On 30/8/2017 at 13:52, ChiFlyer said:

Just flipped through the thread. I was surprised to see no mention of Gian's in Jomtien. If you are looking for a traditional more Sicilian-American dish dripping in cheese and Marinara Sauce, this is not your place.

I have been to La Boca as well and am partial to Gian's. It's in Jomtien on Thappraya next to Bruno's and across the street from Pan Pan.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gians/437863342946979

Scallopini Marsala

59a6a6adc9539_GiansScaloppineMarsala.thumb.JPG.ab4a1c8abd3166e811524a6618c0570b.JPG

sorry -did not remember to take the pic, before I started munching - It smelled and looked that good. :)

it can be very good but is a fake italian restaurant, the combination meat and pasta together, is not an italian dish ;)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 02:45, Anto@@@ said:

it can be very good but is a fake italian restaurant, the combination meat and pasta together, is not an italian dish ;)

In real Italian restaurants you can always have spaghetti bianchi (without sauce) with your meal.

That being said, I don’t think there is any real Italian restaurant in Pattaya.

On 8/30/2017 at 14:15, Marcus85 said:

Did you pick the tomato based sauce to go with the pasta? Or was the menu set that way?

Seems a strange combination to me, mixing the veal and mushroom with the tomato. 

I think I picked it based on the mood I was in. It has been a while.

What I remember well is that I made several visits over the 6 weeks I was there and was always favorably impressed.

After having read this and other threads (and visited several highly rated Italian Restaurants) I have come to the conclusion that there isnt a stand out Italian Restaurant in town ...

I stand to be corrected

17 hours ago, socrates said:

After having read this and other threads (and visited several highly rated Italian restaurants) I have come to the conclusion that there isnt a stand out Italian Restaurant in town ...

I stand to be corrected

It's subjective but you might try this place, if you haven't already --

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d2391021-Reviews-Trattoria_Pizzeria_Toscana-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I haven't tried this place but for seafood it at least sounds standout --

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3473526-Reviews-Acquapazza_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Personally, I like more casual, so it's La Taverna del Passatore for general Italian and Pizzaart for pizza for me. 

5 hours ago, socrates said:

Tried Toscanas - to be honest its OK but nothing spectacular

Thanks. I was there years ago only time just for pizza and thought it was good. I did notice they have a very extensive menu though and apparently they produce some of their ingredients locally, which is unusual here.

15 hours ago, socrates said:

Tried Toscanas - to be honest its OK but nothing spectacular

Too expensive for the mediocre quality.

Been there twice and that was once too often.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 01:33, striderman said:

they changed the name slightly about 7 months ago

They did NOT change the name.

What they changed is the font.

The original font was German Frakturschrift and in German Frakturschrift there is a distinction between long s and short s.

See below for the letters F, f, S, long s and short s in Frakturschrift.

I also add some examples:

“Bedingungslose Treue” (once short s, once long s);

“Zwei Befehle des Führers” (once f, twice short s).

F in Frakturschrift.jpg

S in Frakturschrift.jpg

Bedingungslose Treue.jpg

Zwei Befehle des Führers.jpg

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

35 minutes ago, striderman said:

well to anyone who does not speak or read german they did

Never too late to learn some German.

Just now, starfucks said:

Never too late to learn some German.

i can speak and read a little bit. but spelling police i have no time for

4 minutes ago, striderman said:

i can speak and read a little bit. but spelling police i have no time for

What about the Dutch tomato police?

2 hours ago, starfucks said:

They did NOT change the name.

What they changed is the font.

The original font was German Frakturschrift and in German Frakturschrift there is a distinction between long s and short s.

See below for the letters F, f, S, long s and short s in Frakturschrift.

I also add some examples:

“Bedingungslose Treue” (once short s, once long s);

“Zwei Befehle des Führers” (once f, twice short s).

F in Frakturschrift.jpg

S in Frakturschrift.jpg

Bedingungslose Treue.jpg

Zwei Befehle des Führers.jpg

Doesn't that second one mean "Two commands of the leader?" ....... can't say I ever spotted it on the old one but do remember when they changed the layout.

Only half decent Italian I found recently was La Bocca for their thin pizza in Jomtien. Wine was good too but pasta was bland and doughy.

20 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Doesn't that second one mean "Two commands of the leader?" ....... can't say I ever spotted it on the old one but do remember when they changed the layout.

Only half decent Italian I found recently was La Bocca for their thin pizza in Jomtien. Wine was good too but pasta was bland and doughy.

The first fragment means “Unconditional loyalty”, the second “Two orders by the Führer”.

That place Hops on the corner of Soi Yamato and Beach Road is all but a German restaurant.

(Perhaps it was one very long ago.)

It’s mainly frequented by hi-so and would-be hi-so Thais and by Russians.

On 11/09/2017 at 19:25, fakebook said:

That place Hops on the corner of Soi Yamato and Beach Road is all but a German restaurant.

I've always wondered about it with security permanently on the door with stun gun or truncheon prominently displayed... Not very welcoming 

5 hours ago, asmodeus said:

I've always wondered about it with security permanently on the door with stun gun or truncheon prominently displayed... Not very welcoming 

Too many Russian mafia around.

Always packed to the rafters inside. Laid out like a German BrauHaus or BierKeller. Massive place with seating upstairs etc.

Alright early evening and thin pizza and beer are good but long waits later and a bit chaotic service ...... does get lots of Thais I agree and a few Russian families rather than the old oligarchs when I have been in.  

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 04:09, nampla69 said:

One more text with no less than two single long s, one double long s and one f: “Der Glücklichste ist heut’ der Ägir auf der Welt, weil er Essen und Kohlen in Menge erhält.”

Translation for those who don’t understand German: “The happiest one in the world now is Ægir, because he receives food and coal in bulk”.

And for those not familiar with Germanic/Scandinavian mythology: Ägir/Ægir was a sea giant.

Der Glücklichste ist heut’ der Ägir auf der Welt, weil er Essen und Kohlen in Menge erhält..jpg

Great post bar stool, I'm beginning to enjoy this forum. :Good_Post:

My own favourite German expression is:

Wer nicht lieb Wein Weib und Gesang der bleibt ein Narr sein Leben lang.

It's to do with wine, women and song and is legendary .... :Chokdee5:

On 27/08/2017 at 19:23, Elvira said:

They didn’t “change” the name at all.

They changed the character type to avoid that people misread.

Just because you don’t know what a log s (ſ) is, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

In the past it also was used in English.

“ſ” is not the same as “f”.

Actually that wasn't the reason why they changed it.

Someone(can't say whom) planned to open an identical looking place on Thappraya, where the unsuccessful William restaurant once stood. Don't know if it opened or if the sign is still up.

So I'm guessing it was done to differentiate between the two.

On 11/09/2017 at 19:25, fakebook said:

Italian manager.  He won't thank me for revealing that he's an old rocker; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Teoremi

So you'll find a mix of Italian and Teutonic foodstuffs. The place is none the worse for it.

It is actually not a bad place to eat and drink.  The popular live music adds to the atmosphere.

He also sings and plays the drums there. 

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 06:49, GreyMan said:

Actually that wasn't the reason why they changed it.

Someone(can't say whom) planned to open an identical looking place on Thappraya, where the unsuccessful William restaurant once stood. Don't know if it opened or if the sign is still up.

So I'm guessing it was done to differentiate between the two.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 07:10, GreyMan said:

Italian manager.  He won't thank me for revealing that he's an old rocker; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Teoremi

So you'll find a mix of Italian and Teutonic foodstuffs. The place is none the worse for it.

It is actually not a bad place to eat and drink.  The popular live music adds to the atmosphere.

He also sings and plays the drums there. 

IMO they’ve never been a real German place and they probably weren’t even aware if their name was “Hopf” or “Hops”.

(BTW the German word for “hops” is “Hopfen”.)

I’ve been there only once and the food was disgusting.

And, to add insult to injury, they charged an extra 7% VAT and 10% service.

A place to avoid unless you’re a Russian or a Thai hi-so.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 02:47, nampla69 said:

Great post bar stool, I'm beginning to enjoy this forum. :Good_Post:

My own favourite German expression is:

Wer nicht lieb Wein Weib und Gesang der bleibt ein Narr sein Leben lang.

It's to do with wine, women and song and is legendary .... :Chokdee5:

It seems the saying “Wer nicht liebt Wein, Weib, Gesang, der bleibt ein Narr sein Leben lang.” is often attributed to Martin Luther.

Indicative Present Tense third person singular of “lieben” is “liebt”.

Archived