Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

English Monk in Thailand....

Awesome news! Glad we don't have to get a 'feed Para in the monkey house' brigade going!

Mate you have NO idea how bad the food is in a Thai prison. I read they food spend per prisoner is just over $1USD a day. Last time I was in on remand  I lost 20kg's in 3 months!

Downloading now cheers mate.

wonderful news mate, congrats!

so back to England now?

Still need to sort BS out but yes thats the plan. Just have to make sure I don't get nicked again before I get out!

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys I am kinda tied up with court/lawyer/BS stuff right now so wont be active for a bit. I will however monitor the posts and if a direct question comes in I will gladly answer it and get a bit of a distraction from the legal pain!

With metta.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Top 10 Buddha Quotes

1. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
  2. “It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.”
  3. “It is better to travel well than to arrive.”
  4. “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
  5. “The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”
  6. “The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.”
  7. “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a Poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.”
  8. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
  9. “We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.”
  10. “What we think, we become.“

Action

• “A jug fills drop by drop.”
  • “An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.”
  • “Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.”
  • “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
  • “However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?”
  • “I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.”
  • “I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.”
  • “To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.”

Anger, Forgiveness, and Compassion

• “Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”
  • “Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.”
  • “In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.”
  • “Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.”
  • “To understand everything is to forgive everything.”
  • “You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”

Fear

• “Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.”
  • “The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”
  • “When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.”

Health

• “Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”
  • “Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.”
  • “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
  • “To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.”
  • “To keep the body in good health is a duty … otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.”
  • “Without health life is not life; it is only a state of languor and suffering an image of death.”

Life and Living

• “He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.”
  • “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.”
  • Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.”
  • “Life is suffering.”
  • “On life’s journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.”
  • “The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.”
  • “There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.”
  • “To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.”
  • “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.”
  • “You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.”
  • “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.”

Love, Connection, and Unity

• “All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.”
  • “Ambition is like love, impatient both of delays and rivals.”
  • “He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.”
  • “Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two.”
  • “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.”
  • “You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”

Mind, Thought, and Thinking

• “All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?”
  • “An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.”
  • “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
  • “He is able who thinks he is able.”
  • “It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.”
  • “The mind is everything. What you think you become.”
  • “Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”
  • “We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.”

Personal Development

• “Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.”
  • “The virtues, like the Muses, are always seen in groups. A good principle was never found solitary in any breast.”
  • “To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.”
  • “Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.”
  • “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”

Self-Reliance

• “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”
  • “Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.”

Speech

• “A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.”
  • “Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.”
  • “The tongue like a sharp knife … Kills without drawing blood.”
  • “The wise ones fashioned speech with their thought, sifting it as grain is sifted through a sieve.”
  • “Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.”

Truth

• “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.”
  • “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.”
  • “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

Guys I am kinda tied up with court/lawyer/BS stuff right now so wont be active for a bit. I will however monitor the posts and if a direct question comes in I will gladly answer it and get a bit of a distraction from the legal pain!

With metta.

Sorry to hear the bullshit just goes on!

I really like the quotes, by the way.

Sorry to hear the bullshit just goes on!

I really like the quotes, by the way.

The BS never stops its how you deal with it thats important!

Glad you liked them and good to see you back on the thread.

The BS never stops its how you deal with it thats important!

Glad you liked them and good to see you back on the thread.

printed the quotes out... thanks man, and sorry we never connected, maybe next time eh?

best of luck to you!

g

• 3 months later...

Well not much has been posted on this thread for a while. For anyone following, Para is doing well and there is no cause for concern about his welfare.

Just did a short whirl wind trip to Pattaya. Managed a whole heap of short times in one day and then managed to find some company to curtail my spending.

Felt the need to head up to the see the big guy on the hill. I would imagine most people reading have been to the big Buddha. It was quite pleasant and the bus loads of tourists were missing.

The two ladies selling birds in the cages found a group of six Russians to sell some bird cages. They then went up the long stair case and stopped in front of the Big Buddha. Roughly in the middle (from the stairs).

With laughter and smiles the birds were set free.

One thing I noticed is that they held the cages low to the ground and the birds did not head sky ward but all stayed fairly low and headed off in different directions. Because of the new building opposite where the flowers, incense and trinkets can be obtained the birds actually have a number of obstacles that impinge on their escape.

One of the birds headed straight into the shop type area and as it did this cat launched itself into the air and got the bird.

The Russians ran around all flustered by this. The cat sat there with the little bird clenched in his jaws in its death throws. The cat then decided that lunch was not going to be given up to the Russians determined to set it free.

So the cat heads off past the Monk sitting inside providing blessing and around behind the Buddha shrine (ie the inside one near the shop counter). Cat was not seen again.

it was then that I noticed that there are a number of cats laying in ambush all around that area.

Not sure if there is any point or moral behind this but just thought I would share this. Maybe if you are a sparrow in a cage, it might be safer to hide in the cage.

I guess the calm disinterest by the Monk or complete acceptance of it as a normal event added to the surreal nature of the event.

Well not much has been posted on this thread for a while. For anyone following, Para is doing well and there is no cause for concern about his welfare.

Just did a short whirl wind trip to Pattaya. Managed a whole heap of short times in one day and then managed to find some company to curtail my spending.

Felt the need to head up to the see the big guy on the hill. I would imagine most people reading have been to the big Buddha. It was quite pleasant and the bus loads of tourists were missing.

The two ladies selling birds in the cages found a group of six Russians to sell some bird cages. They then went up the long stair case and stopped in front of the Big Buddha. Roughly in the middle (from the stairs).

With laughter and smiles the birds were set free.

One thing I noticed is that they held the cages low to the ground and the birds did not head sky ward but all stayed fairly low and headed off in different directions. Because of the new building opposite where the flowers, incense and trinkets can be obtained the birds actually have a number of obstacles that impinge on their escape.

One of the birds headed straight into the shop type area and as it did this cat launched itself into the air and got the bird.

The Russians ran around all flustered by this. The cat sat there with the little bird clenched in his jaws in its death throws. The cat then decided that lunch was not going to be given up to the Russians determined to set it free.

So the cat heads off past the Monk sitting inside providing blessing and around behind the Buddha shrine (ie the inside one near the shop counter). Cat was not seen again.

it was then that I noticed that there are a number of cats laying in ambush all around that area.

Not sure if there is any point or moral behind this but just thought I would share this. Maybe if you are a sparrow in a cage, it might be safer to hide in the cage.

I guess the calm disinterest by the Monk or complete acceptance of it as a normal event added to the surreal nature of the event.

Life is suffering? Circle of life?

I still smell a rat!

I don't know as yet what the point is? maybe the irony of a monk and a mongering forum?? but there's something amiss here I think!

Bill

the smell is getting stronger

As my dear friend Dancaholic said I am good trying to adjust to London life which is not too bad as the sun has been out since I got back.

As our faithful sailor so rightly pointed out its just another example of the circle of life. It also reminds me a little of some of the hot hells (Naraka) where you are born into a Cave, run outside onto the scorching land and are immediately squashed by a boulder only to be reborn back into the cycle. This bird escapes captivity only to be eaten and then reborn somewhere.

I guess the question that stands out from Danca's story is how did the Russians feel about what happened? In fact how would you feel after releasing the birds for good luck only to see one of them killed. Of course I have my opinion but will hold off for a while.....!

BTW Its nice to be back.

the smell is getting stronger

Time for a bath me thinks.

As my dear friend Dancaholic said I am good trying to adjust to London life which is not too bad as the sun has been out since I got back.

As our faithful sailor so rightly pointed out its just another example of the circle of life. It also reminds me a little of some of the hot hells (Naraka) where you are born into a cave, run outside onto the scorching land and are immediately squashed by a boulder only to be reborn back into the cycle. This bird escapes captivity only to be eaten and then reborn somewhere.

I guess the question that stands out from Danca's story is how did the Russians feel about what happened? In fact how would you feel after releasing the birds for good luck only to see one of them killed. Of course I have my opinion but will hold off for a while.....!

BTW Its nice to be back.

It's nice to have you back, too.

Your current location suggests that some previous problems are behind you?

I wish you well.

It's nice to have you back, too.

Your current location suggests that some previous problems are behind you?

I wish you well.

Hello mate!

Yep back in London with the BS left where it belongs. Ended up leaving Thailand on a 1200 day overstay which was interesting at the airport. What got me was I was in visa when arrested and the court held my passport so taking out the time they had it I would of still of had 4 days when I left instead of a 20k fine. Ho hum well worth it to be able to finally move on.

Working on a piece about attachment and acceptance just waiting for the last bit to happen.

Happy Wan Phra to everyone following this thread.

Hello mate!

Yep back in London with the BS left where it belongs. Ended up leaving Thailand on a 1200 day overstay which was interesting at the airport. What got me was I was in visa when arrested and the court held my passport so taking out the time they had it I would of still of had 4 days when I left instead of a 20k fine. Ho hum well worth it to be able to finally move on.

Working on a piece about attachment and acceptance just waiting for the last bit to happen.

Happy Wan Phra to everyone following this thread.

Hi Para, glad you made it home safely!

I am in my third and final week of my 4th trip this year, having a ball!

cheers,

g

Good to see ya back, and I'm back in the USA.........

When do you think you will return ?

Mark

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Para, glad you made it home safely!

I am in my third and final week of my 4th trip this year, having a ball!

cheers,

g

Thanks for rubbing it in mate its bloody cold here and I feel like a square peg in a round hole.

Good to see ya back, and I'm back in the USA.........

When do you think you will return ?

Mark

Mark I have to get back soon the wife is far from happy!

Look forward to meeting up with you in the future.

With metta

Ever thought aboout how a Buddhist views the age old question of how the world started?

The Origin of the World

'There is no reason to suppose that the world had a beginning at all. The idea that

things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our thoughts.'(Bertrand

Russell)

There are three schools of thought regarding the origin of the world. The first

school of thought claims that this world came into existence by nature and that

nature is not an intelligent force. However, nature works no its own accord and goes

on changing.

The second school of thought says that the world was created by an almighty God who

is responsible for everything.

The third school of thought says that the beginning of this world and of life is

inconceivable since they have neither beginning nor end. Buddhism is in accordance

with this third school of thought. Bertrand Russell supports this school of thought

by saying, 'There is no reason to suppose that the world had a beginning at all. The

idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our

thoughts.'

Modern science says that some millions of years ago, the newly cooled earth was

lifeless and that life originated in the ocean. Buddhism never claimed that the

world, sun, moon, stars, wind, water, days and nights were created by a powerful god

or by a Buddha. Buddhists believe that the world was not created once upon a time,

but that the world has been created millions of times every second and will continue

to do so by itself and will break away by itself. According to Buddhism, world

systems always appear and disappear in the universe.

H.G. Wells, in A Short History of the World, says 'It is universally recognized that

the universe in which we live, has to all appearance, existed for an enormous period

of time and possibly for endless time. But that the universe in which we live, has

existed only for six or seven thousand years may be regarded as an altogether

exploded idea. No life seems to have happened suddenly upon earth.'

The efforts made by many religions to explain the beginning and the end of the

universe are indeed ill-conceived. The position of religions which propound the view

that the universe was created by god in an exactly fixed year, has become a

difficult one to maintain in the light of modern and scientific knowledge.

Today scientists, historians, astronomers, biologists, botanists, anthropologists

and great thinkers have all contributed vast new knowledge about the origin of the

world. This latest discovery and knowledge is not at all contradictory to the

Teachings of the Buddha. Bertrand Russell again says that he respects the Buddha for

not making false statements like others who committed themselves regarding the

origin of the world.

The speculative explanations of the origin of the universe that are presented by

various religions are not acceptable to the modern scientists and intellectuals.

Even the commentaries of the Buddhist Scriptures, written by certain Buddhist

writers, cannot be challenged by scientific thinking in regard to this question. The

Buddha did not waste His time on this issue. The reason for His silence was that

this issue has no religious value for gaining spiritual wisdom. The explanation of

the origin of the universe is not the concern of religion. Such theorizing is not

necessary for living a righteous way of life and for shaping our future life.

However, if one insists on studying this subject, then one must investigate the

sciences, astronomy, geology, biology and anthropology. These sciences can offer

more reliable and tested information on this subject than can be supplied by any

religion. The purpose of a religion is to cultivate the life here in this world and

hereafter until liberation is gained.

In the eyes of the Buddha, the world is nothing but Samsara -- the cycle of repeated

births and deaths. To Him, the beginning of the world and the end of the world is

within this Samsara. Since elements and energies are relative and inter-dependent,

it is meaningless to single out anything as the beginning. Whatever speculation we

make regarding the origin of the world, there is no absolute truth in our notion.

'Infinite is the sky, infinite is the number of beings,

Infinite are the worlds in the vast universe,

Infinite in wisdom the Buddha teaches these,

Infinite are the virtues of Him who teaches these.' - (Sri Ramachandra)

One day a man called Malunkyaputta approached the Master and demanded that He

explain the origin of the Universe to him. He even threatened to cease to be His

follow if the Buddha's answer was not satisfactory. The Buddha calmly retorted that

it was of no consequence to Him whether or not Malunkyaputta followed Him, because

the Truth did not need anyone's support. Then the Buddha said that He would not go

into a discussion of the origin of the Universe. To Him, gaining knowledge about

such matters was a waste of time because a man's task was to liberate himself from

the present, not the past or the future.

nice to see you posting Para!

when do you hope to return to LOS?

I am hoping/planning to go for xmas...

the bird catchers and sellers are simply cheating them selves, then theres the food chain CLEVER cats up there.

Some very interesting quotes by the Buddha Para. I'm not sure if they all are meant to be taken literally or if they are cryptic, but there are a few I personally take issue with:

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

No it's not. I travel often between Australia and Bangkok, I go cattle class with budget airlines and don't give a rat's how well I travel. All I care about is arriving in LOS.

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.

Rubbish. People inherit bad genes and contract illnesses through no fault of their own. There are epidemics & air-borne viruses that are entirely out of an individual's hands.

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker.

If the dog is a guard dog then being a good barker makes it a good dog. If it won't bark good and loud when an intruder enters the premises then the dog is bad and useless.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

Yes, there is. Stars and consolations point out east and west. North and South are determined by the magnetic poles.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

The history of mankind is overloaded with hidden truths. All day long truths are being hidden and many remain so.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

What is the Buddhist view on bargirls and the sex industry in Pattaya? Or, at least, what is your view, as a monk?

this is the most useless question ive seen yet.

Na, many are worse. I will say I have heard that it is not a aproved, nor disaproved vocation.

On the 1 hand if she is doing it to support her kids-parents-grandparents sorta a OK thing.

If however it is for drugs and booze, not a good thing.

Just what i have heard.........

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Some very interesting quotes by the Buddha Para. I'm not sure if they all are meant to be taken literally or if they are cryptic,

No, they are not meant to be taken literally. I'd have thought that was fairly standard.

I'm no expert but let me attempt to 'enlighten' you! And before you take that literally it was ironic :)

Travel - I believe it refers to life's journey, rather than a particular bus ride or a walk down the shops.

Health - hmm, not sure about this one but as it's all about philosophy I'd take a guess that it has more to do with attitude than physical health. This forum contains simple examples. You see people with positive outlooks having fun and those who constantly complain about life getting 'poor performance' or moaning about prices or other nationalities. That said of course we can all improve our own physical health which usually has a knock on effect of catching less colds, being generally healthier in the mind etc etc.

Dog - for dog read pretty much anything, don't obsess on the object of the quote, try to think in a more general sense. But I'll stick with the dog for you in the hope you might see the whole picture. You have a dog, it barks. Is it a good dog? No one has mentioned guard dog or what ever. You might want a gun dog and a constantly barking gun dog is useless, ditto guide dog or search dog. of course barking will be needed at some point but knowing when, how much, how loud to bark is equally important in the making of a good dog. This translates to everything pretty much. Just knowing how to do something is not enough. Utilising that knowledge correctly is just as important. Take free thinking and or critical thinking. It is essential to know how and when to challenge tradition or superstition for instance. Simply jumping in clumsily with a pair size 15 boots just makes the jumper appear more ignorant that someone who insists on believing in a literal virgin birth!

Sky east/west - No there isn't! South, east, west, time, miles, etc etc are all human impositions placed on the world in order for us to more easily understand and communicate. The universe is a hell of a lot older than we are and before us there was no east and there will be none once we are gone. There are poles, they are magnetic but the names we give them are arbitrary and temporary. In fact apparently they shift 180 degrees every now and then as well as constantly move around. So even the literal argument is blown away for this one. Your post was the perfect example of what the quote is talking about 'of course there is an east!'. We've been trained to think like this, the quote attempts to get people to think about what they are certain is true but that may or may not be.

Truth - Can you hide the sun? No is the short answer. It's far too hot! Ok, you could say it's hidden from us for half the day but is it really? If you know something exists can it really be called hidden? When it's on the other side of the planet where we can't see or benefit from it it still exists. So if we know the truth, as a concept, exists can it ever really be hidden. We might not know it, we might not be looking for it, we might be convinced we already know it but we believe a lie but the truth exists. Who knows what happened to Lord Lucan or Shegar? Something did and it will likely never be made public but whatever happened to them is the truth of those particular instances and even if we don't know the details we know it exists! Quid pro quo you can't hide the truth. I guess it's akin to the adage of a the sound of tree falling in the forest.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Do not think its a useless question at all.

Think perhaps it was a question directed at Para and best to let him answer it.

Archived