IGNORED

English Monk in Thailand....

"Living in the moment and living for today, while related somewhat, are not the same thing"

Very good comment there Furry. Its possible to live in the moment and at the same time plan for the next day. I guess the key is finding that balance.

Re comment about derailing thread. I very much doubt that any humor which does not harm or belittle anyone would be seen as derailing the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys good to see you have all been getting along nicely!

Living in the moment and living for today, while related somewhat, are not the same thing IMO. Even the monks here have to plan ahead to get Wats built and gatherings organized, right? In the west, in the US in particular, the protestant idea of good works getting one into heaven, and idle hands being the devils workshop pervade society to create our western 'work ethic'. 

So do we through wisdom know living in the moment is the only thing real but accept living for today as a necessity? I can see that working.

In the Hindu-Buddhist worldview this life is only one of many and no one is expected to get it right the first time, or even the first dozen times. This difference in attitude demonstrates it's self in many ways including the difference in 'work ethic'.

I think as long as we try to be mindful of our actions as per the eight fold path then living anywhere will never stop you being a Buddhist.

In the Hindu-Buddhist world it is, to put it crassly, analogous to hitting the reset button and starting over with the next life. It is an act that is to be pitied, but can also be seen as an understandable, even sometimes honorable, reaction to unendurable circumstances. It comes with a Karmic price tag, sure, but so does every hamburger. 

Interesting I always understood it differently in that a Buddhist who commits suicide is unable to pass over and be reborn till their natural life span has been reached. Kinda like trapped lost souls. I think if it allowed a short cut to your next life suicide rates would be a lot higher with people bored/tired of their current life looking for a quick way out. Thoughts?

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

I have a really important day on Tuesday that will change my life completely hence the quietness but that doesn't stop me looking for inspiration and I wanted to share these with you......

179459_449341765158291_809103450_n.jpg428562_449044628521338_448048580_n.jpg923267_449167298509071_298958398_n.jpg945561_449350838490717_1667015965_n.jpg

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Hi guys good to see you have all been getting along nicely!

So do we through wisdom know living in the moment is the only thing real but accept living for today as a necessity? I can see that working.

I think as long as we try to be mindful of our actions as per the eight fold path then living anywhere will never stop you being a Buddhist.

Interesting I always understood it differently in that a Buddhist who commits suicide is unable to pass over and be reborn till their natural life span has been reached. Kinda like trapped lost souls. I think if it allowed a short cut to your next life suicide rates would be a lot higher with people bored/tired of their current life looking for a quick way out. Thoughts?

A limbo kind of thing? Interesting, i have not heard that one. Does that not presuppose then that there is a certain lifespan one is 'supposed' to live? Sounds a little too much like predestination or fate for my understanding of the Buddhist universe. 

I have a really important day on Tuesday that will change my life completely hence the quietness but that doesn't stop me looking for inspiration and I wanted to share these with you......

attachicon.gif179459_449341765158291_809103450_n.jpgattachicon.gif428562_449044628521338_448048580_n.jpgattachicon.gif923267_449167298509071_298958398_n.jpgattachicon.gif945561_449350838490717_1667015965_n.jpg

What is happening tuesday? Whatever it is, good luck to you!

A limbo kind of thing? Interesting, i have not heard that one. Does that not presuppose then that there is a certain lifespan one is 'supposed' to live? Sounds a little too much like predestination or fate for my understanding of the Buddhist universe. 

IMO we live each life cycle to learn a specific lesson. Bit like playing a video game if you don't finish the first stage you have to start again if you don't learn that lesson then you will repeat the same life over until you do. Also on more of a logical level as I saw in third world countries suicide would be seriously high if people thought/knew it gave them passage to their next life.

What is happening tuesday? Whatever it is, good luck to you!

Cheers mate.

I'm back in court been fighting with the police for 4 years now and its killing me. Already found not guilty once but the police appealed it out of spite on the tiniest of points and so I have had to stay the course for that. Tuesday I get to hear what the Appeal Judges have decided.

If it goes again in my favour I am going back to the UK to work for a while hence the Buddhism in the West interest. If it goes wrong I will be doing 15 years in a Bangkok prison!

With money you can buy a house, but not a home

With money you can buy a clock, but not time

With money you can buy a book, but not knowledge

With money you can buy blood, but not life

With money you can buy sex, but not love.

So what can you buy with money???

Services of a good lawyer? :)

No restriction on double jeopardy in Thailand, interesting.

Services of a good lawyer? :)

No restriction on double jeopardy in Thailand, interesting.

He said it is an appeal, so not double jeopardy.

Good luck, Para. I guess we'll know the outcome if you are posting on Wednesday.

I guess it's cold comfort, but they can only imprison your body, not your mnd.

The poet John Milton wrote: 'The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven'.

I came up with a long list but decided rather than post I'd just admit - I'm incredibly shallow :Surrender1:

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I came up with a long list but decided rather than post I'd just admit - I'm incredibly shallow :Surrender1:

I fell in love with my ex wife and she with me. There was no up front payment. But there was one hell of an invoice to meet later.

I found a bar girl in thailand, she feel in love with me and I with her, I was so handsum she said. The next morning I paid her and mourned the loss but did not have any outstanding financial obligations.

I sat and did the maths and it works out that if i did that every night for the next twenty years I would still be better off and it would cost less then the so called love that society says I could not buy. In the meantime my ex wife and her new hubbie sit in there fully paid off house both driving brand new cars.

At least with the bar girl I know that there is a good chance some of the money I paid is going to find its way to putting food into the mouths of mama, papa three sisters and a her baby. Perhaps even some poor thai boyfriend who is sitting under a tree with nothing but bottles of beer to consume.

Then when i look at the photo in the bottom of pepe's post with the two chicks and the water fountain. It all starts to make sense.

Perhaps best not to dwell on it to much and just enjoy what you have in the moment you have it.

Maybe pepe is not so shallow.

Good luck, Para. I guess we'll know the outcome if you are posting on Wednesday.

I guess it's cold comfort, but they can only imprison your body, not your mnd.

Worst ways I get 4 years of meditation time. Strange as it sounds when I was on remand a few years back I actually found life in Thai prisons very calm what does that say about me!

Hey don't forget to send food parcels and write OK!

We all have our own personal lists of what we would like but when it comes down to it the things that we need mostly come from inside.....

Perhaps best not to dwell on it to much and just enjoy what you have in the moment you have it.

Maybe pepe is not so shallow.

I don't think anyone following and contributing to this thread are the slightest bit shallow.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you on tuesday m8. I hope you will be in the same climate as me soon. :)

Unsure who used up more karma yesterday the corrupt policeman that tried to fit me up of myself in getting off but the judge decided there were no grounds for the appeal and dismissed it. I am (once again) a free man!

Will have a chat with our friendly Skunk as I feel my story could help others as it shows not just the corruption involved in Pattaya but the amount of damage it can cause an innocent person.

Thanks for all the support guys I really appreciated it.

Unsure who used up more karma yesterday the corrupt policeman that tried to fit me up of myself in getting off but the judge decided there were no grounds for the appeal and dismissed it. I am (once again) a free man!

Will have a chat with our friendly Skunk as I feel my story could help others as it shows not just the corruption involved in Pattaya but the amount of damage it can cause an innocent person.

Good news! Congrats!

Great news. I'm very happy to see a new post from you Para. Congrats.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Again thanks guys.

Great news. I'm very happy to see a new post from you Para. Congrats.

Pepe I will be PM'iing you about maybe posting my story to at least make people aware that even if you have nothing to do with drugs you can still be caught up in the most painful situation and be forced to stay in Thailand for 4 years same as I have......

Can you speak perfect Thai and translate my English words into perfect Thai so a Thai can understand exactly what I'm trying to get across. 

Can you speak perfect Thai and translate my English words into perfect Thai so a Thai can understand exactly what I'm trying to get across. 

No I cant but I can get it done for you. Post what you want translated.....

Good news! Congrats!

+1

+2!  Excellent news!

Awesome news! Glad we don't have to get a 'feed Para in the monkey house' brigade going!

The ultimate source of a happy life is warm-heartedness. This means extending to others the kind of concern we have for ourselves. On a simple level we find that if we have a compassionate heart we naturally have more friends. And scientists today are discovering that while anger and hatred eat into our immune system, warm-heartedness and compassion are good for our health. ~ Dalai Lama

wonderful news mate, congrats!

so back to England now?

Archived