Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

The best moped or scooter

jpduggan1

The point about twin shocks was about the way single shocks are mounted on some bikes (eg the click) on one side has to have some engineering consequences. Im sure its ok for 2 thai people but some of us wiegh a lot more than the average thai.

BMW dont mind the idea. And I could be wrong but I think the latest K1200R's are still using the Paralever setup. I understand they are no Honda Click but the principle is the same.

BMW r80GS Kalihari  1.jpg

paralever-swingarm.jpg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point about twin shocks was about the way single shocks are mounted on some bikes (eg the click) on one side has to have some engineering consequences. Im sure its ok for 2 thai people but some of us wiegh a lot more than the average thai.

My 2006 Ducati Sport Classic has a single shock on one side of the swingarm. It is a one-year-model and later models have two shocks. The monoshock swingarm has bracing where the dual shock swingarm doesn't and racers have reported that the monoshock swingarm is more rigid than the dual shock one. It's not the number of shock absorbers but the engineering that counts and I'm comfortable thinking Japanese motorbike engineers know what they're doing.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

My 2006 Ducati Sport Classic has a single shock on one side of the swingarm. It is a one-year-model and later models have two shocks. The monoshock swingarm has bracing where the dual shock swingarm doesn't and racers have reported that the monoshock swingarm is more rigid than the dual shock one. It's not the number of shock absorbers but the engineering that counts and I'm comfortable thinking Japanese motorbike engineers know what they're doing.

Well said. And my point which I think was was missed was its a bit too simplistic to think 2 shocks are better than 1 regardless of the mounting. Some load ratings of the different bikes might tell a story but I have never seen any yet.

btw - The new Nouvo SX I'm renting has better more comfortable suspension than my 1 y.o. Click but IMO the improvement comes from the front end not the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Thye old ad used to say, hop on something hot, red and throbbing....hop on a Honda! :GoldenSmile1:

If I was buying a scooter I'd actually stick with the auto Honda...but having said that I have rented bikes all over the place and have never had one let me down.

Auto boxes now are just too good not to have. Just makes life a lot easier too....u can concentrate on other things...and in Asian traffic you need your concentration!

End of the day, u get what u pay for!

• 4 weeks later...

Well said. And my point which I think was was missed was its a bit too simplistic to think 2 shocks are better than 1 regardless of the mounting. Some load ratings of the different bikes might tell a story but I have never seen any yet.

btw - The new Nouvo SX I'm renting has better more comfortable suspension than my 1 y.o. Click but IMO the improvement comes from the front end not the back.

I am trying to remember when the last sports bike had 2 shocks on the rear. Other than retro bikes I still cant think of any including dirt bikes that dont have a single rear shock.

If it was meant to be a single sided swing arm then this was used by honda on the RC30 which were released over 20 years ago. As pointed out earlier BMW have used them for almost for ever

Time for an update - The new Nouvo SX vs my 1 yo Honda Click. (not a 125 helmet in idle/stop model)

Happily my opinions havn't changed much. On the Nouvo - A more comfortable ride which I think is partially the better seat and partially the front suspension. The key and seat release is better. Top speed (safely on sukumvit) topped out at an indicated 100. (90 on the Click).

Points for the Click - Still a better work horse. I take it shopping for the floor room, The controls are in the right place unlike the Nouvo, better fuel economy.

Which would I buy new? If I didn't need the shopping capabilities I would buy a D Tracker. But because I do my choice is going to be a new Click 125.

I think the topic was a scooter right!  CBR Trackers Ducati, or just in another catagory in itself.  For the last year I have been looking at bikes new or used?  Clicks, Waves, air cool, liquor cool, price difference between a use and buying new? 

In my opinion one has to decide what they need and want in a bike/scooter depending on their daily schedule and actually how large the person and if they take a passenger along. I have two bikes a 125 Wave and a 2006 Honda Click, 110cc Carburator with oversize tires and a heavy duty gas shock in the back. I like the Thais have packed 3 large kids and myself on my click and it has no problems power wise or supension.  I put in 80-100 Km a day and put in 100 baht a day to fill the tank and I around 35 KM/L.

Although I haven't seen or heard problems with air cool bikes but mentally I just feel liquor cool bikes and thinking the more CC you can get in the scooter range would just put less strain on the bike.  The big difference between a Automatic and a shifter is the fuel,  On my 125 Wave, I can get 180 KM/L on a 100 baht.  The automatic are belt driven and the rpm is high so you burn more fuel.

So today after a year... I have concluded that these are the bikes I would buy and prices which was recently from Mityon without the registration and extra insurance.  Also because they have the most accessible parts.

Yamaha Eleglance 135 CC liquior cool,  Being phazed out but can buy one if you order.   55,000 with spoke wheels.

Yamaha Nouve SX,  135 CC liquor cool..  56,000 with spoke wheels.  Good storage under seat

Yamaha Mio,  125 CC  Liquor Cool, Fuel Injected  47,000 with spoke wheels, good storage under seat

Yamaha Sparks  135 Liquor cool, Fuel injected 53,500 with spoke wheels, sporty looking but no storage under seat!

Honda Click,  125 CC  Liquor Cool, Fuel Injected  46,000 with wire rims, good storage under seat

Honday Wave, 125 CC, Air cool, Fuel Injected,  52,000,  spoke rims, good storage under seat.

As noted I have a 125 Wave, 1 year old and have modified the bike by adding the following.. two gas shocks in the back,  added larger wire rims and tires.. Back... 140/80  Front... 110/80.. and added a disc brake in the back.

Because I love my old click with the bigger tires.. I was thinking about buying a new click 125 CC and modify the wheels again with larger tires. The new click I was told you can only put on larger rims if they are wire ones?

Then one day I was allow to drive a new 150 CC, PCX,, when I started it up I barely could hear the motor and the ride was much more comfortable and I had no problems working my way through traffic. The bike was liquor cool, fuel injected and already had larger tires like my click. I was told I could even add a larger tire to the back 140/70 on the original rim? Had good storage under the seat the only problem I didn't like the colors being offer now.  Price quoted was 72,500-74,500.

Recently, Mityon opened a new accessory shop on Pattaya Tai,, they have seats, shocks, screws, helmets, rims, tires, storageboxes, etc... you can purchase and they will install it at their shop on 3rd road and Soi Lengkee.

Which would I buy new? If I didn't need the shopping capabilities I would buy a D Tracker. But because I do my choice is going to be a new Click 125.

Never settle for less they say........

.......but there is a bit of a price difference too.   :Think1:

I think the topic was a scooter right!  CBR Trackers Ducati, or just in another catagory in itself.  For the last year I have been looking at bikes new or used?  Clicks, Waves, air cool, liquor cool, price difference between a use and buying new? 

In my opinion one has to decide what they need and want in a bike/scooter depending on their daily schedule and actually how large the person and if they take a passenger along. I have two bikes a 125 Wave and a 2006 Honda Click, 110cc Carburator with oversize tires and a heavy duty gas shock in the back. I like the Thais have packed 3 large kids and myself on my click and it has no problems power wise or supension.  I put in 80-100 Km a day and put in 100 baht a day to fill the tank and I around 35 KM/L.

Although I haven't seen or heard problems with air cool bikes but mentally I just feel liquor cool bikes and thinking the more CC you can get in the scooter range would just put less strain on the bike.  The big difference between a Automatic and a shifter is the fuel,  On my 125 Wave, I can get 180 KM/L on a 100 baht.  The automatic are belt driven and the rpm is high so you burn more fuel.

So today after a year... I have concluded that these are the bikes I would buy and prices which was recently from Mityon without the registration and extra insurance.  Also because they have the most accessible parts.

Yamaha Eleglance 135 CC liquior cool,  Being phazed out but can buy one if you order.   55,000 with spoke wheels.

Yamaha Nouve SX,  135 CC liquor cool..  56,000 with spoke wheels.  Good storage under seat

Yamaha Mio,  125 CC  Liquor Cool, Fuel Injected  47,000 with spoke wheels, good storage under seat

Yamaha Sparks  135 Liquor cool, Fuel injected 53,500 with spoke wheels, sporty looking but no storage under seat!

Honda Click,  125 CC  Liquor Cool, Fuel Injected  46,000 with wire rims, good storage under seat

Honday Wave, 125 CC, Air cool, Fuel Injected,  52,000,  spoke rims, good storage under seat.

As noted I have a 125 Wave, 1 year old and have modified the bike by adding the following.. two gas shocks in the back,  added larger wire rims and tires.. Back... 140/80  Front... 110/80.. and added a disc brake in the back.

Because I love my old click with the bigger tires.. I was thinking about buying a new click 125 CC and modify the wheels again with larger tires. The new click I was told you can only put on larger rims if they are wire ones?

Then one day I was allow to drive a new 150 CC, PCX,, when I started it up I barely could hear the motor and the ride was much more comfortable and I had no problems working my way through traffic. The bike was liquor cool, fuel injected and already had larger tires like my click. I was told I could even add a larger tire to the back 140/70 on the original rim? Had good storage under the seat the only problem I didn't like the colors being offer now.  Price quoted was 72,500-74,500.

Recently, Mityon opened a new accessory shop on Pattaya Tai,, they have seats, shocks, screws, helmets, rims, tires, storageboxes, etc... you can purchase and they will install it at their shop on 3rd road and Soi Lengkee.

I have a Yamaha Nouvo 135, love it, no mods required, 2 years old, about 4500 km. I bought a PCX 150 about a year ago when they first came out. Different class bike than the Yamaha, but now I'm keeping the Yamaha, keeping both. On the PCX, had to replace the seat, want to replace all four shocks, want to go to larger rear tire. My impression is that most Hondas have above mentioned problems so cost of ownership is much higher than Yamaha. I like them both for different reasons. Very different rides from both.

Firstly a good write up but I find your fuel consumption figures a little odd.

Your talking KM/L and also per 100B of fuel. Best to stick to KM/L because 100B of fuel may be different to someone reading the thread in the future. :Think1:

The 2006 Click -  35 KM/L is pretty poor. My 1yo Click was getting around 66 KM/L the last time I checked. Fuel injection makes a difference but double? Maybe your oversize tires are a bit much for it?

Wave - 180 KM/L . Is that correct? Or is it 180 KM per 100B of fuel?

The only other thing is the new Nouvo is a 125cc not 135cc.

I have a Yamaha Nouvo 135, love it, no mods required, 2 years old, about 4500 km. I bought a PCX 150 about a year ago when they first came out. Different class bike than the Yamaha, but now I'm keeping the Yamaha, keeping both. On the PCX, had to replace the seat, want to replace all four shocks, want to go to larger rear tire. My impression is that most Hondas have above mentioned problems so cost of ownership is much higher than Yamaha. I like them both for different reasons. Very different rides from both.

I got a new PCX about a month ago.  Got a new seat from a PCX place in Phuket, YSS rear shocks locally, and a Givi box and mounts from Thai Motor Box in Bangkok - you pay a bit of a premium, but well worth it IMHO.

Firstly a good write up but I find your fuel consumption figures a little odd.

Your talking KM/L and also per 100B of fuel. Best to stick to KM/L because 100B of fuel may be different to someone reading the thread in the future. :Think1:

The 2006 Click -  35 KM/L is pretty poor. My 1yo Click was getting around 66 KM/L the last time I checked. Fuel injection makes a difference but double? Maybe your oversize tires are a bit much for it?

Wave - 180 KM/L . Is that correct? Or is it 180 KM per 100B of fuel?

The only other thing is the new Nouvo is a 125cc not 135cc.

You are correct... it is 180 KM total on a fill up of 100 baht for 91 Benzene around 2.42 litre. I ask the sales person and he told me it was 135, but of course they could be wrong. One can easily check their website Yamaha Thailand.

I got a new PCX about a month ago.  Got a new seat from a PCX place in Phuket, YSS rear shocks locally, and a Givi box and mounts from Thai Motor Box in Bangkok - you pay a bit of a premium, but well worth it IMHO.

Replacing the rear is good, but save the money on the front... What they do is just change the outside casing and use your original struts. I thought they were replacing the whole struts but the fancy colors casing outside is just that for the looks. They just change the washer and put new fluid back in.  With the PCX, I have seen the modification on the wheels but I noticed they went to a 13 inch rim and put on the rear 120/70, which doesn't lower the bike at all. I was told by the owner at Mai thai? on Soi Buakhow, that I could use the original rear rim and squeeze a 140/70 on that rim.  That sounds big but pointness since the rim is too small for the tire and one doesn't get the expansion on the tire.

You are correct... it is 180 KM total on a fill up of 100 baht for 91 Benzene around 2.42 litre. I ask the sales person and he told me it was 135, but of course they could be wrong. One can easily check their website Yamaha Thailand.

Fair enough - and at about 75KM/L that sounds about right to me.

Do you really get 66km/l out of an Auto ? If you do, that is one hell of an efficient engine or you ride like a saint. I get around 35km/l from my 2008 Suzuki Hayate in mainly gentle town riding. Used to use on longer runs but never got much more. Fuel injection only makes about 5% improvement.

Do you really get 66km/l out of an Auto ? If you do, that is one hell of an efficient engine or you ride like a saint. I get around 35km/l from my 2008 Suzuki Hayate in mainly gentle town riding. Used to use on longer runs but never got much more. Fuel injection only makes about 5% improvement.

I probably stretched the figure slightly. But I was getting 200km per tank and AFAIK the tank is 3.6L. A refill with 0.1L left in the tank (worst case) gets me 57 KM/L

At that time there was no in town riding. It was all on a busyish highway in Bangkok.

The new Nouvo SX i'm renting at the moment uses more fuel than the Click but honestly fuel consumption is a moot point for me. All scoots are cheap enough to run.

I probably stretched the figure slightly. But I was g

Yeh, I get about 50kml on my PCX 150 and about 40 on my Nouvo 135

"Only slight downside is indeed the one suspension at the back - but (not boasting) im not that big so its not really a problem for me. Its good on the juice aswell"

I found that experimenting with the tyre pressure on my Honda Click 125 does improve the harsh ride. its still not as good as a twin shock setup but a big improvement.

Badwingman - agree 100bht that I use every week sure beats the £100 worth of diesel I used to spend every month back in England.

Harleys here in Canada but in Thailand always use hondas and never had a problem..

"Only slight downside is indeed the one suspension at the back - but (not boasting) im not that big so its not really a problem for me. Its good on the juice aswell"

I found that experimenting with the tyre pressure on my Honda Click 125 does improve the harsh ride. its still not as good as a twin shock setup but a big improvement.

In fact, it's all about the air!  Get yourself a tire guage worth every penny or baht!  My click with oversize tires in the beginning I thought I needed a new shock since the one I had was original. The ride was hard and harsh never did I imagine it was too much air in the back.  Luckily me, another farang a bike mechanic in his younger days pick up the back of the bike and bounced it and told me too much air.  He let some out some air,lots, and the ride was like day and night!  Now with a tired guage I make sure its around 25 since I take my son around all day. 

Ever get a flat,,, they do a squeeze test.. no one knows how much they put in?  one time I check they had 60 plus in the back!   

I have never seen a thai use a tyre pressure guage. They just pump air in until it is about to burst - 60+ psi.

• 4 weeks later...

pcx best scooter for pattaya { change the standard shocks though)......

pcx - 2 023.jpg

pcx - 2 005.jpg

Wow nice pics and would be my preffered colours too as after a PCX in the future myself

Take it thats the old PCX 125 there?

Would be interested in how much the add ons to customize it were? shocks etc...

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

• 2 weeks later...

pcx best scooter for pattaya

Ok...I'm going to bite. Why would that be?

Archived