IGNORED

The best moped or scooter

jpduggan1

I go to Pattaya on holidays frequently and am moving there soon. I plan to buy a moped but dont know which is best.I usually rent a Nuevo elegance 135 which is very peppy but rather heavy on petrol. I fancied PCX but they seem to be all moulded plastic and covering up what. Last trip I was up north for a month and noticed that there were very few PCXs around and most of the Thais drove non-automatic mopeds. Were they telling me something? Can I have some candid opinions of the various bikes that you all drive in order to help me make up my mind. Thanks.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kessaya Cycles has a large range of Scooters.

Why not PM him and try and rent one for a week each.

That way you can find out which one is the best for you.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Thats a good idea but its always a good idea to get recommendations from owners. Do you own a moped yourself? I'm definitely going to rent a PCX for a week because I like the shape but I think it might be a bit big for the weaving in and out in heavy traffic that you must do in Pattaya. Thanks for your reply.

Agree... Contact Mark at Kessaya, a top bloke.

I have a PCX booked for my next visit in September, Mark delivers and picks up for fee and will advise you of the best bike suitable for your requirements

http://www.kessayamotorbikerentals.com

I swear by the Honda Blades. Have never owned 1 but had a few on long term rental.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

The Thais (esp the moto taxi guys) tend to avoid Automatics, because it's the one most expensive thing likely to go wrong.

First I think you should decide Auto, Semi-auto or Manual with Clutch - if you can use a Clutch.

After that, decide Honda or Yamaha. There's nothing wrong with Suzuki, but they are not big sellers. Kawasaki have dropped out I think.

Then have a go on whichever one or two that leads you to.

People have different preferences eg. fuel economy, power, underseat storage etc - it depends what you want.

Are you buying new or used?

I went thru the same exercise recently. I have an eight year old suzuki super best, manual with twin discs. Decided it was time for an upgrade, so some comments from me:-

- Yamaha Mio 125cc no Fuel Injection. mate has one so ridden it quite a bit. a nice bike, handles well and quite quick. Good engine braking and throttle response but really harsh rear suspension. Only one shock tho I found out you can upgrade reasonably cheaply

- Honda click 125i, Fuel Injected. A larger bike, a bit tall for my 165cm frame can only get toes on the ground. Poor throttle response from standing start and almost no engine braking. quicker than Mio and more comfortable at high speeds. limited foot space.Same problem with one shocker and the harsh rear suspension but a fix is avilable. Combi braking works both back and front brake together using only left lever.a good idea.

- Yama Nuovo elegance, 135cc discontinued model now. replaced by 125cc FI Nuovo SX. Havnt ridden one yet, twin shockers and appears to be a physically bigger bike than the click or Mio

I hired a PCX 125cc FI and I found it a bit big for round town but great on long runs, effortless 100kph cruising and good pickup certainly didnt feel like a 125cc bike.

One other point, I read that a Fuel injected bike needs battery power to work the fuel pump, so even if you kick start it, it isn't going to go with a flat battery which is when you need the kick starter. If you are absent for long periods then non fI might be the way to go or keep a spare battery charged and handy.

Dont forget you need a Resident Letter from Jomtien Immigration to buy a bike

ive hired all of these..my personal best is the suzuki sky drive..fast enough ..smooth enough..handles nice..but the best thing is the first time i hired one the hirer stated..thais dont like them they are not popular over here so its very very rare they get stolen where as the honda is a prime target..probably cheaper to buy than most brands and reliability should be about the same

The Thais (esp the moto taxi guys) tend to avoid Automatics, because it's the one most expensive thing likely to go wrong.

First I think you should decide Auto, Semi-auto or Manual with Clutch - if you can use a Clutch.

After that, decide Honda or Yamaha. There's nothing wrong with Suzuki, but they are not big sellers. Kawasaki have dropped out I think.

Then have a go on whichever one or two that leads you to.

People have different preferences eg. fuel economy, power, underseat storage etc - it depends what you want.

Are you buying new or used?

My choices are those below. The Yamaha X1r may be for sale later as I just wimped out and bought a car.

Havn't decided yet whether new or used. Keep me in touch about the Yamaha and if the price is right!!!

I went thru the same exercise recently. I have an eight year old suzuki super best, manual with twin discs. Decided it was time for an upgrade, so some comments from me:-

- Yamaha Mio 125cc no Fuel Injection. mate has one so ridden it quite a bit. a nice bike, handles well and quite quick. Good engine braking and throttle response but really harsh rear suspension. Only one shock tho I found out you can upgrade reasonably cheaply

- Honda click 125i, Fuel Injected. A larger bike, a bit tall for my 165cm frame can only get toes on the ground. Poor throttle response from standing start and almost no engine braking. quicker than Mio and more comfortable at high speeds. limited foot space.Same problem with one shocker and the harsh rear suspension but a fix is avilable. Combi braking works both back and front brake together using only left lever.a good idea.

- Yama Nuovo elegance, 135cc discontinued model now. replaced by 125cc FI Nuovo SX. Havnt ridden one yet, twin shockers and appears to be a physically bigger bike than the click or Mio

I hired a PCX 125cc FI and I found it a bit big for round town but great on long runs, effortless 100kph cruising and good pickup certainly didnt feel like a 125cc bike.

One other point, I read that a Fuel injected bike needs battery power to work the fuel pump, so even if you kick start it, it isn't going to go with a flat battery which is when you need the kick starter. If you are absent for long periods then non fI might be the way to go or keep a spare battery charged and handy.

Dont forget you need a Resident Letter from Jomtien Immigration to buy a bike

Excellent info there ,thanks very much.

I would be very cautious about buying a second hand Yamaha automatic. I have heard many Nouvos, Mios and Finos with very noisy transmissions. I suspect if they are not well looked after they become problematic. I know one BM had a Nouvo MX with less than 10,000 km on the clock, the transmission became very noisy and cost about B6,000 to fix. Don't think I have ever heard a Suzuki or Honda with noisy transmission.

I would be very cautious about buying a second hand Yamaha automatic. I have heard many Nouvos, Mios and Finos with very noisy transmissions. I suspect if they are not well looked after they become problematic. I know one BM had a Nouvo MX with less than 10,000 km on the clock, the transmission became very noisy and cost about B6,000 to fix. Don't think I have ever heard a Suzuki or Honda with noisy transmission.

I don't know that there's any difference between Yamaha & Honda, I think it's just an auto' thing.

You don't see many moto taxi guys on autos and the rental guys turn them over before they reach high kms. :Think1:

I noticed quite a few moto-cyc taxi guys riding around on Honda PCX mbikes this year, so either business is good or there more fuel efficient then other mbikes?

PCX is still by far the best looking auto mbike out there and now Honda have upgraded it to a 150cc engine,looks the same, but beware your insurance and international driving licence wont cover you for it as the max is 125cc covered.

Lets hope the BIB dont cotton onto that for a bit!!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

I noticed quite a few moto-cyc taxi guys riding around on Honda PCX mbikes this year, so either business is good or there more fuel efficient then other mbikes?

More likely the GF's sponsor is back in farangland and the speedo' cable is disconnected. :Think1:

Well hope they take care of em!! Theres quiet a few around town now using them!!

am hoping there will be quite a few PCX 125 traded in and should be reasonably priced as seems to be rush to get the PCX 150 at the mo!!

Not a lot of difference between the two and seen a few around 50,000bt already popping up.

Better than 80,000bt for a new PCX!!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Well hope they take care of em!! Theres quiet a few around town now using them!!

I haven't noticed any, but I'll look out for them. It doesn't make any sense that they would or could buy them to me.

Maybe we could have a photo comp' like with the PA baht buses (haven't seen those either btw) but, for the sponsors' sake, photos would have to include the number plate.of course. :Think1:

The most popular bike is the Honda Click. Great for around town use and holds it's value far better than the Mio. The rental companies love them for their reliability. The new model is even better because with the design there is some room under the seat which was a problem before. Used ones fetch 25k and usually stay there. The Spacy is pretty close to the Click. I'm not sure of the difference. The best bike IMHO is the PCX. It's the BMW of motorbikes. Just a class above anything else on the road. I would buy new. My philosophy is to say ouch once. If you've got the bread the new PCX 150 is sweet (about 70k) and there is nothing else in the same class.

Motorbikes are incredibly cheap to repair. If you're buying used, the Mio is good way to go. You can pick them up in excellent condition for 16-18. Go with alloy wheels over spokes when possible. Over time the spokes break and go through the tubes. Alloys are tubeless.

I was in the Honda dealer the other day. The 250CBR at 110k is an incredible bike for the money. Not a motorscooter and but a hot little motorcycle. Vroon vroom.

The most popular bike is the Honda Click. Great for around town use and holds it's value far better than the Mio. The rental companies love them for their reliability. The new model is even better because with the design there is some room under the seat which was a problem before. Used ones fetch 25k and usually stay there. The Spacy is pretty close to the Click. I'm not sure of the difference. The best bike IMHO is the PCX. It's the BMW of motorbikes. Just a class above anything else on the road. I would buy new. My philosophy is to say ouch once. If you've got the bread the new PCX 150 is sweet (about 70k) and there is nothing else in the same class.

Motorbikes are incredibly cheap to repair. If you're buying used, the Mio is good way to go. You can pick them up in excellent condition for 16-18. Go with alloy wheels over spokes when possible. Over time the spokes break and go through the tubes. Alloys are tubeless.

I was in the Honda dealer the other day. The 250CBR at 110k is an incredible bike for the money. Not a motorscooter and but a hot little motorcycle. Vroon vroom.

Thanks more good info here, much appreciated.

I bought a second hand Mio Z 115cc a few months ago & am happy with it. It's rather noisy which may be down to the automatic transmission as stated above. It's quite nippy though & ideal for weaving in & out of traffic. I'm over 100kg & the suspension seems ok for me although this is my first bike so I've nothing to compare it too.

sgu_banner.gif

If I were to buy only 1 scooter now I would go for a Yamaha Nouvo SX. New on the road for a little less than $2000 USD.

There is a large thread in the expats section on buying a new bike.

sochiro honda developed the ideal cheap motorbike developed into the honda wave, ok with cheapo telescopic forks but still the honda cub.

copied by yamaha suzuki and kawasaki

now copied by dozens of unknowns.

few years ago all the big 4 in thailand pushed the Scooters (engine in rear frame and automatics and tubeless fatter tyres on smaller wheels) as young fresh trendy cue thai pop stars sexy girls hello kitty etc and do they look great especially ridden by hottie or drop dead gorgeous lb,

My experience is that although bloody quick to 90 clixs they shout "i am going wrong soon and will be scrapped". can be cramped in the footwell, do not allow footpeg input (think dirt riding/loading outside peg/foot down just before you crash or not) total pigs to kickstart and are built cheap.

Over 90 kph i put my money on the 125 wave.

My suggestion is the true motorcycle, wave or equivalent.

Of course this is not allowed if you are gay in which case a milo or click with limited edition paint and matching handbag and sunglasses in the cute little cubby holes is de rigor.

Driving a Honda airblade for the last 3 years and still love it . Reliable , fuel economic , big space under the saddle and very stabble .

Rented a few bikes trough the years but still think the airblade is one of the best .

If I were to buy only 1 scooter now I would go for a Yamaha Nouvo SX. New on the road for a little less than $2000 USD.

I had one of these as a rental and it is a great bike. Lots of power, good suspension, easy of gas and great handling. When I buy a bike this is the one that I am buying. Much better than a Click.

At this moment, if I was buying an auto, I'd tend to agree.

Don't forget to tart it up a bit though.

08042012192.jpg

08042012195.jpg

At this moment, if I was buying an auto, I'd tend to agree.

Don't forget to tart it up a bit though.

08042012192.jpg

08042012195.jpg

stop being negative.... oh sorry you wernt 555555

that bike looks really nice to be honest, how does it handle compared to the 135cc and is it the same sort of acceleration and power compared to the 135cc? did you sell the spark in the end?

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

Archived