IGNORED

The best moped or scooter

jpduggan1

stop being negative.... oh sorry you wernt 555555

that bike looks really nice to be honest, how does it handle compared to the 135cc and is it the same sort of acceleration and power compared to the 135cc? did you sell the spark in the end?

I haven't ridden one, but I read that as it's only 8.5cc smaller than the T135 engines and has fuel injection, overall performance is as good or better.

125cc is better for some Travel Insurance I believe.

I prefer the slimmer, sportier look, despite not being so myself and I much prefer the SX to the somewhat bulbous PCX, which does tend to camo' a lardy arse a little, but only by pretending to be something it's not.

I still don't see many Thais on PCXs, especially not taxi guys and I think those who buy them must be prepared to take a hit on resale, but they do seem to be popular nonetheless.

The 'Spark' - X1r actally, is still parked out front alongside the D-Tracker.

I needed to keep it as a spare because I live out of town, but now, getting older and wiser (mostly just older) I've bought a small truck (which wants some presents) so I can't justify keeping it.

There's one guy who asked me to let him know if I ever sold it, but he may want it for 'nowt'.

I'll probably give it a clean and take some pics to post it on PA in the next few days.......if I last that long. :Think1:

Negative? Moi?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a Suzuki moped that has to be avoided at all costs - don't know what the handling, brakes, performance or reliability is like, however, it is definitely tempting fate to buy or rent it...

It's the Suzuki Smash !!!

A more inappropriate name for a moped in Thailand would be hard to find..

The Gods of fate will be watching you

There is a Suzuki moped that has to be avoided at all costs - don't know what the handling, brakes, performance or reliability is like, however, it is definitely tempting fate to buy or rent it...

It's the Suzuki Smash !!!

A more inappropriate name for a moped in Thailand would be hard to find..

The Gods of fate will be watching you

Yes, the name amuses me too. But, I owned one for several years, as a general runabout, it was used and abused, and just kept coming back for more. It never broke, the only repairs were tyres, chain and sprockets.

Yes, the name amuses me too. But, I owned one for several years, as a general runabout, it was used and abused, and just kept coming back for more. It never broke, the only repairs were tyres, chain and sprockets.

To be honest, I avoid mopeds - when I'm on time off in Patts (or elsewhere in Thailand) I drink far too much piss to ride anything over here. I do use the moped taxis a lot. Oh, and make the missus drive the car, cold piss available if needed...

To be honest, I avoid mopeds - when I'm on time off in Patts (or elsewhere in Thailand) I drink far too much piss to ride anything over here. I do use the moped taxis a lot. Oh, and make the missus drive the car, cold piss available if needed...

Yea, that's wise.

.................................. did you sell the spark in the end?

Coming soon.....

LK-1-2.jpg

If you live here for a long time, you start to go to Tesco or Big C for shopping, and you need a bike that's up to the job of transporting big purchases. This ugly thing here is not

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiUiBiChWe2_S129M7KcTnretk3JOTCNwhm_kYib0F_-JM5GXm3A

because you can't stow anything between your legs, and to make it even uglier by a case behind the seat doesn't help much. This one here from the same maker is far better

http://www.talad2you.com/gallery/48098_1.jpg

you can put 5 or 6 shopping bags with 10 kilos each on the hook and ride comfortably.

I had a couple of Nuovos, but settled eventually with Suzuki Hayate. Had lots of issues and repairs with new Yamahas, none at all with Suzi. Engine and automatic transmission also seem to work together better, the Suzi ride is smoother, it reacts more elastic to feeding gas. Honda has been out of question for me since the days I rode choppers, they never build an air-cooled two pot. Avoid cheap bikes with kick starter and manual clutches, it's all wrong here. The starter's on the wrong side of the bike, shifting gears the opposite direction from bikes in Europe. Can get dangerous if you want to accelerate and shift to a higher gear, but you actually shift and slow down. They are more fuel efficient, but who cares whether the bike needs 2 or 3 gallons per month?

I don't know that there's any difference between Yamaha & Honda, I think it's just an auto' thing.

No it's definitely a Yamaha auto thing.

If you live here for a long time, you start to go to Tesco or Big C for shopping, and you need a bike that's up to the job of transporting big purchases. This ugly thing here is not

https://encrypted-tb...Yib0F_-JM5GXm3A

because you can't stow anything between your legs, and to make it even uglier by a case behind the seat doesn't help much. This one here from the same maker is far better

http://www.talad2you...ery/48098_1.jpg

you can put 5 or 6 shopping bags with 10 kilos each on the hook and ride comfortably.

I had a couple of Nuovos, but settled eventually with Suzuki Hayate. Had lots of issues and repairs with new Yamahas, none at all with Suzi. Engine and automatic transmission also seem to work together better, the Suzi ride is smoother, it reacts more elastic to feeding gas. Honda has been out of question for me since the days I rode choppers, they never build an air-cooled two pot. Avoid cheap bikes with kick starter and manual clutches, it's all wrong here. The starter's on the wrong side of the bike, shifting gears the opposite direction from bikes in Europe. Can get dangerous if you want to accelerate and shift to a higher gear, but you actually shift and slow down. They are more fuel efficient, but who cares whether the bike needs 2 or 3 gallons per month?

I agree with you about the PCX and I don't like Hondas either.

I haven't owned one, but I believe the Suzuki is a good bike, but for some reason they are not nearly as popular here as Honda or Yamaha.

I wouldn't buy a Hyate myself for that reason and the fact that they're air cooled.

In a hot climate and especially in heavy traffic, even engine temperature and therefore Liquid cooling is the conventional wisdom.

The "cheap bikes" I think you are talking about are preferred by the Mototaxi guys because apart from the initial low price, the two main things which cause problems are auto transmission and electrics.

They are very reliable.

Don't they actually prefer kick down semi-autos with no clutch so they can use their phone and drink their Lipo?

The X1R I posted isn't cheap and all controls are in the conventional position and it has electric start.

I understand the argument for autos in town, but having ridden bikes most of my life I prefer the riding experience of a 'normal' bike. Auto' in a car I love.

I very briefly had a new Honda Airblade auto' (or was it the Ex's?) and I hated it - flat as a fart and very boring.

I had a very good 2 year experience with a Yamaha Spark semi-auto and on the basis of that decided to move on to it's sports derivative, the X1R.

I love riding bikes (D-Tracker 250 now) and I've clocked up well over 60,000 kms in Thailand/Cambodia, but for me manual gears are part and parcel of the experience.

Each to their own and if you only use a bike in town then I see the auto' argument........I just don't want one. :hello09:

No it's definitely a Yamaha auto thing.

I bow to your superior knowledge and greater experience of autos.

As above, I don't like autos anyway, but I also listened to the guy who I hired bikes from for my first 3 months here.

He had to have autos for hiring, but always off loaded them after one year to avoid the expense of gearbox problems.

He also insisted on kick starts on all bikes as flat batteries were the cause of most of his call outs.

Ok award for probably the most boring answer but here goes:

I chose a Honda because its my personal preference. (all the jap bikes are good tho)

I chose an auto because I'm only tooting around town and in traffic.

I chose a Click because I can sit a big pack of water or beer :WinkGrin1: on the floor area and lots of shopping on the hook.

(A TG with strong arms would also work)

So there you go!

Thinking of buying a125 Vespa for the GF, price is 90k, would Apppreciate you views on this scooter

Thinking of buying a125 Vespa for the GF, price is 90k, would Apppreciate you views on this scooter

I wasn't a fan of the original so I wouldn't.

Do you mean in Pattaya? I'd stick with Japanese myself - Honda or Yamaha.

The Vespa repro's in Vietnam looked OK, but expensive.

What is this you're looking at at 90k - new?

I wasn't a fan of the original so I wouldn't.

Do you mean in Pattaya? I'd stick with Japanese myself - Honda or Yamaha.

The Vespa repro's in Vietnam looked OK, but expensive.

What is this you're looking at at 90k - new?

.Yes mate new with tax and 2 years insurance, I know nothing about bikes,but it looks sexy,

Don't they do a 150cc for 99k? Looks nice in Red or White..

download-item-1916.jpg

How about servicing costs and breakdowns?

Of course up 2 u, but I would tend to go for something more main stream that the local corner shop can repair if necessary.

it is italian so don't let her ride it further than she can push it home.

I also recomand a yamaha nouvo elegance 135 cc automatic

stays good on the road - nervous driving - not to heavy

I also recomand a yamaha nouvo elegance 135 cc automatic

stays good on the road - nervous driving - not to heavy

As said above, it's been superceded by the SX.

I agree with you about the PCX and I don't like Hondas either.

I haven't owned one, but I believe the Suzuki is a good bike, but for some reason they are not nearly as popular here as Honda or Yamaha.

I wouldn't buy a Hyate myself for that reason and the fact that they're air cooled.

In a hot climate and especially in heavy traffic, even engine temperature and therefore liquid cooling is the conventional wisdom.

That might be changing soon. VW is pushing into the bike market, acquired Ducati recently, and 20% of Suzuki.

I wouldn't want a Hayabusa w/o Liquid cooling, but for engines turning as lazy as in Scooters and choppers, air's just fine. In particular here, where air humidity is 80%+ on most days. Wet air removes heat faster.

That might be changing soon. VW is pushing into the bike market, acquired Ducati recently, and 20% of Suzuki.

I wouldn't want a Hayabusa w/o liquid cooling, but for engines turning as lazy as in scooters and choppers, air's just fine. In particular here, where air humidity is 80%+ on most days. Wet air removes heat faster.

I'm not sure everyone would agree with you about air cooling but never mind.

My problem with Suzuki in Thailand is the relatively low sales and poor dealership network, which does affect popularity and therefore resale price.

Mind you, I probably wouldn't buy an air cooled flat four Duke either. :GoldenSmile1:

Just a little reminder for visitors who are travelling with holiday insurance. Most companies restrict you to 125cc. So some of the Yamaha's and the new Honda PCX 150 will knock you out of insurance cover. Check your policy.

Just a little reminder for visitors who are travelling with holiday insurance. Most companies restrict you to 125cc. So some of the Yamaha's and the new Honda PCX 150 will knock you out of insurance cover. Check your policy.

Most policys will only cover you if you are fully licensed to ride that particular bike in your home country. I'd bet most scooter hirers don't even have a bike licence at all. I know I didn't until this year :WhoSaw1:

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

• 1 month later...

Must admit the new Yamaha SX 125 does look cool and glad to see that theyve got it down to a 125 cc engine now without too much difference in engine/ride performance and your covered by most travel insurance policies too.

Still put off Yamahasthough, as not as reliable as Hondas and the Thais know it too as is stil the leading brand in Thailand and easy and cheap parts available. Was told the auto transmission becomes noisy and problematic at 20,000kms in most of them.

Loved my Honda Airblade and was ideal for town and getting out onto the open roads too, easy to ride, plenty storage and the acceleration was there too along with the fatter tyres for good road handling.

Still the Honda PCX looks the best but this Yam SX will give it a run for its money!!

Anybody know what the prices are like for the above two??

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Must admit the new Yamaha SX 125 does look cool and glad to see that theyve got it down to a 125 cc engine now without too much difference in engine/ride performance and your covered by most travel insurance policies too.

Still put off Yamahasthough, as not as reliable as Hondas and the Thais know it too as is stil the leading brand in Thailand and easy and cheap parts available. Was told the auto transmission becomes noisy and problematic at 20,000kms in most of them.

Loved my Honda Airblade and was ideal for town and getting out onto the open roads too, easy to ride, plenty storage and the acceleration was there too along with the fatter tyres for good road handling.

Still the Honda PCX looks the best but this Yam SX will give it a run for its money!!

Anybody know what the prices are like for the above two??

Not sure of the exact prices but the SX is about 60,000 on the road and the PCX 80,000 +. I can't see why anyone would choose the PCX with that price difference.

Archived