Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

The best moped or scooter

jpduggan1

I read a few of the comments ref auto Vs geared carrying shopping ect

the Honda wave 125 cc wins all in my personal opinion if you want fuel efficiency load capacity all in one , combined with bigger bike features.

decent front fork travel twin rear shocks

nuvos clicks blades they are ok but they ride like shit on poor road surfaces, hit a big pothole they wrench the steering around something rotten. the only real way to get a more comfortable ride is a larger wheel rim...........get your braking wrong these bikes skid very easily its a question geometry .

spoked wheels are good as they add to being part of the suspension .....you only get punctures if your crazy riding two up like a mad man new rim tape will stop many spoke type punctures on second hand bikes (new tyre or tube should = add new rim tape & check spoke tensions)

-Alloy rims are done or if you hit one curb the wrong way

Honda waves have optional extras such as carry front/rear baskets,top boxes hooks ect they are all cheap. in fact all parts for them are at reasonable prices

another bonus is there isn't a pile of plastic crap to break from the body work

this would be my idea of the best bike to buy for 125cc class low cost

the Yam x1r is the high end big spending budget but a proper bike same as the wave

200cc class I think a honda phantom is a top performer

CBR 250 cc

Biking in Thailand on a simple budget

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My ex just bought something called a Honda scoopy. Looks cute I think it is the same as a lot of the chicks ride. Are they any good?

My ex just bought something called a Honda scoopy. Looks cute I think it is the same as a lot of the chicks ride. Are they any good?

Honda copy of Yamaha Fino, but with proven Honda mechanicals it will be reliable. Honda have massive market presence in Thailand, many Thais will only buy Honda, so good for re-sale. Good for Thai girls and boys(with spiky hair), but not recommended for Farangs; only has a single shock on the rear and you will look like a puff riding one.

Any detail on modifying the suspension on the Mio? It's a bit harsh sometimes if the tyre pressure isn't just right. There's a Yamaha dealer not far from me so should I try there? Got to take it in next month for a 'lang car-boo' but I'd be up for modding it a little after that. :Wassup1:

sgu_banner.gif

Any detail on modifying the suspension on the Mio? It's a bit harsh sometimes if the tyre pressure isn't just right. There's a Yamaha dealer not far from me so should I try there? Got to take it in next month for a 'lang car-boo' but I'd be up for modding it a little after that. :Wassup1:

New rear gas shocks (YSS) are readily available for most Yamahas and Hondas. Cost @900-1500bht approx.

New forks are also relatively easy to source and fit, not sure of the cost. Better tyres also help to smooth out the suspension - Dunlop are much better constructed than IRC.

A question about autos Gents:

Most of us have heard the stories of woe about how they are prone to costly transmission repairs when they get a bit long in the tooth - 20-30K kms

Hence the rental guys tend to change them over quite quickly.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on what these repairs exactly are? And what they cost?

Just asking because I recently watched some youtube vids on how the transmissions work on a PCX and changing a belt looks a piece of piss. As does changing the centrifugal variators. No idea on the cost of parts but just asking the question.

A question about autos Gents:

Most of us have heard the stories of woe about how they are prone to costly transmission repairs when they get a bit long in the tooth - 20-30K kms

Hence the rental guys tend to change them over quite quickly.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on what these repairs exactly are? And what they cost?

Just asking because I recently watched some youtube vids on how the transmissions work on a PCX and changing a belt looks a piece of piss. As does changing the centrifugal variators. No idea on the cost of parts but just asking the question.

The problems seem to only be on older Yamaha autos. Not sure exactly what it is but the transmission becomes very noisy. A friend had a Nouvo fixed about 3 years ago, the cost was around B6,000.

New rear gas shocks (YSS) are readily available for most Yamahas and Hondas. Cost @900-1500bht approx.

New forks are also relatively easy to source and fit, not sure of the cost. Better tyres also help to smooth out the suspension - Dunlop are much better constructed than IRC.

Thanks. I looked all that up on the internet & it's just what I was looking for. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

Honda all the way. Bought a honda wave in 2005, it's still going strong, their little engines are great. Was concerned about losing it even though I lock it up when left for any length of time. With this in mind I bought the cheapest model, manual gears with a clutch, drum brakes instead of discs, kick start instead of electric. So not the end of the world, should it disappear. Great to ride, even two with up. Cheap insurance and oil change/service charges. I think you won't be diappointed if you buy one of the Honda range.

Thanks. I looked all that up on the internet & it's just what I was looking for. :GoldenSmile1:

I believe that adding disc brakes aswell as the YSS shocks helps and improves ride and braking too?how much are disc brakes say for a Honda PCX or airblade?

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

I bought the new click 125i a few months back.

No problems at all - bought from the honda dealer on Sukamvit (between pattaya tai and klang).

Only slight downside is indeed the one suspension at the back - but (not boasting) im not that big so its not really a problem for me. Its good on the juice aswell :)

I bought the new click 125i a few months back.

No problems at all - bought from the honda dealer on Sukamvit (between pattaya tai and klang).

Only slight downside is indeed the one suspension at the back - but (not boasting) im not that big so its not really a problem for me. Its good on the juice aswell :)

I think the Click i 125 would be my first choice as a replacement.

A Q for you: Whats your front brakes like?

Asking because that's my only gripe with my 12 month old Click. I'm not a big person either and a couple of times I have had to do some heavy braking and the front brake is not as powerful as I would like. 2 heavy people on it would not be a good idea.

A factor may be that some of those numb nuts at the bike washing places spray polish all over the bike (including the disk brake) I nearly had no brakes for a little while after that happened.

I believe that adding disc brakes aswell as the YSS shocks helps and improves ride and braking too?how much are disc brakes say for a Honda PCX or airblade?

Any news on disc brakes and any particular make to reccomend?

With the YSS shocks see the prices quoted range 900-1500bt each? Is that for different styles of shocks for particular bike?

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Any news on disc brakes and any particular make to reccomend?

With the YSS shocks see the prices quoted range 900-1500bt each? Is that for different styles of shocks for particular bike?

Price difference will be depndent on scooter type and model of shock - one's with external gas reservoir are slightly better and thus more expensive.

Don't see how "adding disc brakes" will do anything for the ride quality.

99% of new scooter now have disc brakes on the front already, which can be upgraded with a bigger disc and a new caliper, but no idea of the cost in Thailand. If braking is an issue, get the brake pads and fluid changed first.

Rear brakes are usually of the "drum" type for Scooters, although I have seen rear disc brake conversions on Honda Waves, never seen it on Airblades, PCX or anything else similar.

Price difference will be depndent on scooter type and model of shock - one's with external gas reservoir are slightly better and thus more expensive.

Don't see how "adding disc brakes" will do anything for the ride quality.

99% of new scooter now have disc brakes on the front already, which can be upgraded with a bigger disc and a new caliper, but no idea of the cost in Thailand. If braking is an issue, get the brake pads and fluid changed first.

Rear brakes are usually of the "drum" type for scooters, although I have seen rear disc brake conversions on Honda Waves, never seen it on Airblades, PCX or anything else similar.

Thanks for the info/advice

I think the Click i 125 would be my first choice as a replacement.

A Q for you: Whats your front brakes like?

Asking because that's my only gripe with my 12 month old Click. I'm not a big person either and a couple of times I have had to do some heavy braking and the front brake is not as powerful as I would like. 2 heavy people on it would not be a good idea.

A factor may be that some of those numb nuts at the bike washing places spray polish all over the bike (including the disk brake) I nearly had no brakes for a little while after that happened.

The left brake activates both front and back break - the right break just does the front.

Works well - from new though I thought the brakes were SHIT lol - they just needed breaking in a bit - after about 50-100km they are now ok.

The left brake activates both front and back break - the right break just does the front.

Works well - from new though I thought the brakes were SHIT lol - they just needed breaking in a bit - after about 50-100km they are now ok.

Ah ok, you have combi braking. Have always thought that would be a good idea for the GF as I'm sure she only uses the rear brake. :Think1:

• 2 weeks later...

The problems seem to only be on older Yamaha autos. Not sure exactly what it is but the transmission becomes very noisy. A friend had a Nouvo fixed about 3 years ago, the cost was around B6,000.

I've started taking notice since you mentioned that and so far you are right. Have seen heard 2 or 3 noisy bikes and they have all been older Nouvo's

• 1 month later...

Picked up a new Nouvo SX today (rental) and thought I would write a small review comparing it to my 1 year old 110cc Click.

First impressions - LCD dash looks fancy. (more on that later) I like the key operated seat release. Underseat storage is way bigger than the older model Click. Easily fit a full face helmet or 2 skid lids. No park brake. (they are handy on the odd parking on a slope occasion) Ok time for a ride.

First noticed the brake levers have a lot more travel. However not a fault, just a get to know the bike type of thing. Power - I was probably expecting too much for a small 15cc increase but to be honest I couldn't tell any difference. Have not done a Sukumvit top speed run yet.

LCD dash. Quite hard to read in the sun actually. Much prefer the Clicks easy to see dials.

The ride - The ride I think is much better. Doesn't have the same back breaking harsh front suspension and the seat seems more comfortable.

The brakes - I have always been a little suss on my Click's brakes. The Nouvo seems to have a better front although the rear seems weaker.

The controls - Maybe still a get to know me thing but I have quite big hands and I still have to lift my thumb a long way back and up to reach the indicator switch and loosen my grip on the handle bars a lot.

Overall - Its very early days with the Nouvo. I used to ride bikes back home for fun. Here I don't. They are simply a means to get from A to B and carry home my shopping. As a riders bike I think the Nouvo is winning. As a practical bike I still prefer the Click because I buy a few big packs of water each week that can nicely sit on the floor area.

Will update my thoughts in a few months. :WinkGrin1:

Never never buy a used bike here, it will always be nothing but problems. If you buy one from someone you know might be okay, but never otherwise. I speak from experience. I purchased a used MIO and it is nothing but problems. The first time I had it in the shop the worker told me that there was a part left out of the engine, when I asked how it ran without the part he would not say. I've had it for a couple of years and it stays in the shop more than out. I purchased a new yamaha, the small one and it is a pretty good bike. I now know why you cannot buy a new 3 wheeler in Thailand, so have stopped trying to find one.

I plan to buy a bigger one in the near future and cannot decide with brand I want. For some reason I shy away from hondas. Those in the pictures above look good especially the one in front in the last picture.

The first time I had it in the shop the worker told me that there was a part left out of the engine, when I asked how it ran without the part he would not say.

Sounds like you have been had. And why the hell would you want a 3 wheeler?

[ Insert funny witty Tapatalk signature ]

Doesnt seem to be any airblades at the dealers ive been to (no one is telling why) maybe disconinued with the PCX replacing it?

Good thread but one thing that doesnt seem to be mentioned clearly is the nuovo has a 16 inch wheel and twin rear shocks

most of the autos dont

The girlfriend wants a scoopy i but I dont think i want to ride one (mainly for the look)

so nuovo sx may be the bike i buy for town riding (I have a big bike for bigger trips)

Cheers

Doesnt seem to be any airblades at the dealers ive been to (no one is telling why) maybe disconinued with the PCX replacing it?

Good thread but one thing that doesnt seem to be mentioned clearly is the nuovo has a 16 inch wheel and twin rear shocks

most of the autos dont

The girlfriend wants a scoopy i but I dont think i want to ride one (mainly for the look)

so nuovo sx may be the bike i buy for town riding (I have a big bike for bigger trips)

Cheers

I think the Airblade got discontinued. There was a few last models around but you had to be quick. They were being exported.

Scoopy - Yep good for a girl just on looks. Hardware would be solid I think.

Nouvo - Seems like a good bike. Have just posted a mini (day 1 ) review above.

Twin shocks - If you want to go there I can but can't see a difference. The suspension is engineered for a purpose. Saying 2 is better than 1 is a totol COS. (Crock of Shit) If I could see some load ratings then I might believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Airblade got discontinued. There was a few last models around but you had to be quick. They were being exported.

Scoopy - Yep good for a girl just on looks. Hardware would be solid I think.

Nouvo - Seems like a good bike. Have just posted a mini (day 1 ) review above.

Twin shocks - If you want to go there I can but can't see a difference. The suspension is engineered for a purpose. Saying 2 is better than 1 is a totol COS. (Crock of Shit) If I could see some load ratings then I might believe.

The point about twin shocks was about the way single shocks are mounted on some bikes (eg the click) on one side has to have some engineering consequences. Im sure its ok for 2 thai people but some of us wiegh a lot more than the average thai.

Archived