IGNORED

What Cameras and Cam's are best to take w/you

luvtomuff

ACHTUNG fellow board comrades! :Buddy1:

On my last Pattaya trip i brought my new 7,1 mpxl Canon Ixus 70, i bought it because it was small and got good reviews in magazines.

But when i came home and saw the pics on my computer i was dissapointed.

Compared to my old 3,9 mplx Canon Powershot A80 the pics were crap!

Colours were dull and with a red tone. The noice were very obvious even daytime with ISO 100!

So on this trip i think the Ixus 70 stays in my room, i will use my old "brick", the A80.

If you are lucky enough to get your hands on a nice used A80, BUY IT!

It would be possible to find a good used one for 80$ / 40£ !

I will never sell my A80, not even for 300 bucks and a free week in Pattaya! :D

This camera has an image quality equal to the lower EOS-class!

Nowadays the manufacurers try to force as many megapixels as possible with very little regard to the size of the sensor and the quality of lens, just because they are stuck in this foolish competition for maximum Pixel capacity!

You can trust me on this one!

Edited by a3519

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• altec123

• Laawman

• Slapman

• rakirun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just have one question here and I am hoping someone will be able to help me:

What camcorder or which camcorders (preferably High Definition) give the best performance in low light?

I ask this question because the most likely use that I will have of a camcorder is to hopefully film my teerak or both of us in the room. In the room there will obviously be low light and you don't want to erect spotlights as this would be impractical and would spoil the mood.

I know that high definition camcorders tend to give grainy pictures in low light but there must be some that are OK or should you avoid HD camcorders if low light is an issue.

When I say low light I mean normal room light and not near total blackness in which case I would choose a camera with infra red night scope.

I have searched this question all over the web and came across some highly technical discussions in forums using technical terms which just do not answer the basic question.

What camcorder or which camcorders (preferably High Definition) give the best performance in low light?

I have a Sony DCR-HC14E It

Edited by a3519

The bigger the sensor the less the cam has to electronically boost the signal to see the picture. Less boost means better quality in all lighting conditions. Not much help I know, but try and look for the cam with the largest sensor - though my guess is they all have a similar size unless you go to a professional grade cam.

Finding one with the largest aperture lens may also be of some help as it would typically let in more light, though at the expense of a narrower depth of focus.

Be scene and not herd.

• 2 months later...

i'd be worried that some of these multi-thousand $ cameras that are being mentioned would make a person a target for a mugging?

• 1 month later...

Great point Joe! When I travel in SE Asia I leave my Nikon D200 at home and take my Canon G9, which is great, great camera, even for serious photographers. For my time in the bars I take my Nikon Coolpix S50. In my opinion taking any camera besides a small point and shoot is asking for problems. Even alot of the bar girls have point and shoot cameras.

If you're going to get robbed in Patts it'll be for your cellphone - very easy to sell and very easy to conceal once it's been stolen.

Be scene and not herd.

• 6 months later...

kitty.jpg

It's hard to compare a full size digital camera with the pocket variety. I've got both, but the one I'm likely to take with me and thus the one I'm most likely to use is the small one. It fits in my pocket and the pictures are just fine.

Taken with the little Canon:

quality is good , low noise, but cats eyes are very interesting when snapped with correct settings. for cats i always use red eye reduction , bounce the flash (if i can) and use the flash compensation as low as i can go. it stops the hollow look. you,ll also get a catchlight in the eye which gives the eyes some life. you've got a pretty kitty.

ps this also works wonders with the other kind of pussy. i suspect you'll want to try. lol

<center><embed src="http://www.ohiok.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.ohiok.com/&clickLABEL=Vacation Countdown Clock Generator&flashLABEL=Ohiok.com&skin=http://www.ohiok.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/skins/11.jpg&text=girls%20girls%20girls%20a%20little%0Dgolf%20and%20maybe%20a%20beer%20lol%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=16777215&datesColor=0&year=2010&month=10&day=21&hour=12&minute=50&second=22&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.ohiok.com/">Vacation Countdown Clock Generator</a></small></center>

I take a Fuji Finepix F650 zoom and a waterproof Sanyo Xacti C65 video cam for songkran, would like a Nikon D80 SLR too

"To monger, or not to monger, that is the question"

I use a Cannon Sureshot 750. Very compact and great little camera.

some info on compact digitals.

many will say to keep away from the 12mp digicams, it's real.

A MUST READ !. read the first two paragraphs of this page.

http://6mpixel.org/en/?p=34

a shortlist of 5-7mp cams.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/digicam/

if you want 12mp, the fuji F series are pretty damn good.

if you can find a f31d on ebay get it !.

info on the full F range here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FinePix_F10

f31d, they don't make 'em this good anymore.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092501fujif31fd.asp

f50, some guys on here have one.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf50fd/

quick edit, they're saying good things about this one.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072102panasoniclx3.asp

• 1 year later...

Normal I take a Canon 400D. It is a good compromise. Not to big but with all the features of a DSLR.

I will be taking a Canon G11 on my December trip. I recently upgraded from my Canon G9. I like these cameras a lot as they have the same features as a SLR, but are much smaller and lighter. Although the lens cannot be swapped out, they are much easier to walk around with and do not draw unwanted attention.

Unfortunately I have a collection.

For small I always suggest one of Cannon Digital Ixus (Elph): PowerShot SD780

I should be taking the DSLR but I am too lazy.

I usually compromise with Panasonic Compact Superzoom (10X) DMC-TZ5

panasonictz5_3q-001.jpg

Another good choice is Canon Compact Superzoom (12X) PowerShot SX200 IS

Canon a620 with the dive case - great above water pics, OK underwater (backflash from plankton is a problem), 60 sec MPG, decent low light - but best of all uses standard rechargeable batteries - makes life much easier!

Considering getting a Canon HF20 or HF200 camcorder - but waiting for the price to drop.

• 1 month later...

Panasonic TZ series are wonderful, but as with all compact cameras, the flash is attrocious.

I also have the Olympus SP 590 UZ which is a good camera which can use remote flash to supplement its own flash. The lens is superb but a tripod on extreme range.

Finally I have a Fuji S3Pro - absolutely brilliant with Nikon lenses, but it's an old style pro camera, so you dont get the portability of compact cameras - but when teamed with a Mecablitz CL45 flash - it the dogs bollocks!

So you need to figure out what you need it for - snaps or photos

Grabbit

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to take my Nikon D700 on my trip, but I am thinking that it would draw too much attention. My Canon G11 is going with me and the Nikon is staying home.

I am sort of fussy, and I have a few very willing "models" who will pose ad infinitum so I do take a dslr. In my case I take a Nikon D90, with an SB600 flash and a light tripod. Off camera flash pictures are really great and the lighting makes them so much more interesting in and off themselves and for postprocessing with Photoshop as well. Also have got some very interesting freeze frame shots when shooting at very high speed (6 frames/second), something you can't do with a small digital camers--but it does take a lot of control, appropriate lighting, and a very willing model.

I also like to get out during the day and shoot candid photos at the malls, markets, etc. with the Nikon. In the evenings I use an older Canon SD800 (small elph format). It is sturdy as hell and I use either a 2Gb or 4Gb card in it. It also takes very clear videos even in low light situations. For videos I use the Canon (easily handheld and great for closeups (one foot away) in combination with a Panasonic GS500, usually mounted on a tripod. The Panasonic does great movies, but it not the greatest in "low light" situations, which is usually the case in most hotels, etc. I have been thinking of upgrading to some of the new Sony's LV500 or 520's.

Usually end up taking 3,000 pictures and 3-4 hours of videos (some planned scenes and some ad hoc)per visit. I do download to a computer (that I also take) and offload to flashdrives. I have been doing this for quite a few years and have never had theft/mugging proglems, but I do try to parlay the right equipment for the right situations.

I am sort of fussy, and I have a few very willing "models" who will pose ad infinitum so I do take a dslr. In my case I take a Nikon D90, with an SB600 flash and a light tripod. Off camera flash pictures are really great and the lighting makes them so much more interesting in and off themselves and for postprocessing with Photoshop as well. Also have got some very interesting freeze frame shots when shooting at very high speed (6 frames/second), something you can't do with a small digital camers--but it does take a lot of control, appropriate lighting, and a very willing model.

I also like to get out during the day and shoot candid photos at the malls, markets, etc. with the Nikon. In the evenings I use an older Canon SD800 (small elph format). It is sturdy as hell and I use either a 2Gb or 4Gb card in it. It also takes very clear videos even in low light situations. For videos I use the Canon (easily handheld and great for closeups (one foot away) in combination with a Panasonic GS500, usually mounted on a tripod. The Panasonic does great movies, but it not the greatest in "low light" situations, which is usually the case in most hotels, etc. I have been thinking of upgrading to some of the new Sony's LV500 or 520's.

Usually end up taking 3,000 pictures and 3-4 hours of videos (some planned scenes and some ad hoc)per visit. I do download to a computer (that I also take) and offload to flashdrives. I have been doing this for quite a few years and have never had theft/mugging proglems, but I do try to parlay the right equipment for the right situations.

I've just been thinking this past week it's time I joined the digital age. i know the d90 (cos of it's vdo). But tell me about the sb600 flash. is this a flash specific to the d90? you have any online photos taken with it?

:GoldenSmile1: I have been living in Pttaya for 5yrs now and the best move I made was to buy a Nokia N95, it has a brilliant camera built in and also a great mp3 player, it solved the problem of carrying phone, camera and mp3 all in one go.

I've just been thinking this past week it's time I joined the digital age. i know the d90 (cos of it's vdo). But tell me about the sb600 flash. is this a flash specific to the d90? you have any online photos taken with it?

SB600 is not specific to the Nikon D90, but it is Nikon's middle-of-the-road flash offering for their "Creative Lighting System." Cost is about $220.00, although you can find some better deals from time to time. The SB400 is the entry level, the SB800 used to be the high end, but last year was replaced by the SB900 (approximately $400) (if you can still find the SB800, but it, it is a great offering, in many minds better than the sb900 which replaced it).

The SB600 can be used as an on-camera flash--it is obviously better and faster than the D90 on-camera flash. But it really gets its marks off-camera. You can control it via the flash mode on the D90. It does NOT have to be wired to the D90 shoe, but communicates via infrared. Strength of flash and type of flash are controlled at the camera and can combine with the native flash on the camera (in any combination of strengths) and also with additional SB 600's, 800's, or 900's. The camera can communicate independently with the various flashes in a multiflash setup and control the timing, strengh, and type of flash using a "channel" setup to each particular flash. (The 400 does not have as much flexibility). So. with the D90 (and flash) and one SB600, you have two independent ligt sources which can be paired. The SB600 can be placed anywhere in the room/studio to give whatever lighting effect you want to create. I usually mount it on a separate tripod (they are cheap in Thailand), and move it around in a session.

Obviously, if you are interested, there is a lot of info on the web about Nikon's CLS, and even books explaining different setups and how best to take advantage of their capabilities.

As I stated in my earlier post, these are the tools I use when I have a willing model and time. Evening mongering and strolling, I stick to a small, pocket-sized, point and shoot or as stated in another post, a good camera on a phone, as many of the newer higher end phones have high pixel-based cameras with good lenses, flash, zoom, face detection, anti-shake, etc. My phone even shoots movies in HD, so you can be ready for any possiblility.

Sorry, don't have any of my photos up on the web at this time.

SB600 is not specific to the Nikon D90, but it is Nikon's middle-of-the-road flash offering for their "Creative Lighting System." Cost is about $220.00, although you can find some better deals from time to time. The SB400 is the entry level, the SB800 used to be the high end, but last year was replaced by the SB900 (approximately $400) (if you can still find the SB800, but it, it is a great offering, in many minds better than the sb900 which replaced it).

The SB600 can be used as an on-camera flash--it is obviously better and faster than the D90 on-camera flash. But it really gets its marks off-camera. You can control it via the flash mode on the D90. It does NOT have to be wired to the D90 shoe, but communicates via infrared. Strength of flash and type of flash are controlled at the camera and can combine with the native flash on the camera (in any combination of strengths) and also with additional SB 600's, 800's, or 900's. The camera can communicate independently with the various flashes in a multiflash setup and control the timing, strengh, and type of flash using a "channel" setup to each particular flash. (The 400 does not have as much flexibility). So. with the D90 (and flash) and one SB600, you have two independent ligt sources which can be paired. The SB600 can be placed anywhere in the room/studio to give whatever lighting effect you want to create. I usually mount it on a separate tripod (they are cheap in Thailand), and move it around in a session.

Obviously, if you are interested, there is a lot of info on the web about Nikon's CLS, and even books explaining different setups and how best to take advantage of their capabilities.

As I stated in my earlier post, these are the tools I use when I have a willing model and time. Evening mongering and strolling, I stick to a small, pocket-sized, point and shoot or as stated in another post, a good camera on a phone, as many of the newer higher end phones have high pixel-based cameras with good lenses, flash, zoom, face detection, anti-shake, etc. My phone even shoots movies in HD, so you can be ready for any possiblility.

Sorry, don't have any of my photos up on the web at this time.

Khagai,

Thanks for taking time to do a lengthy reply. I'm on a lo/no budget as usual. I'm looking at a secondhand pentax *ist ds. I'll have to chk if sb600 is fully compatible. I checked it briefly on vimeo and online. I'll research over xmas and feedback. I already have a travel tripod that extends quite high but folds up small. You bounce off ceiling or carry an umbrella?

On vdo, you mentioned a sony lv500. Is that the right code?

thanks