IGNORED

What Cameras and Cam's are best to take w/you

luvtomuff

Like dudebrah I use a Casio - the EX-Z70 - and found it an excellent point and shoot. Perfect for carting around the bars as well. Great pictures, long battery life and easy enough to use with plenty of modes for different conditions. Very slim and easy to carry too.

I also brought my Nikon D200 for more serious stuff !

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• altec123

• Laawman

• Slapman

• rakirun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like dudebrah I use a Casio - the EX-Z70 - and found it an excellent point and shoot. Perfect for carting around the bars as well. Great pictures, long battery life and easy enough to use with plenty of modes for different conditions. Very slim and easy to carry too.

I also brought my Nikon D200 for more serious stuff !

Do you feel safe carrying your dslr around??

Do you feel safe carrying your dslr around??

I obviously wouldn't recommend carrying a big SLR around on an evening prowl, but I carted mine around during the day and didn't encounter any problems. At night I use the Casio for bar crawls, etc. and that's easily slipped in a pocket.

I actually used to sell cameras back when I was in UK a few years ago but digital has advanced so fast I have lost track of whats going on in the compact camera market.

I would like some recommendations for a small point and shoot that takes decent video and uses li ion batteries.

I will be brining my canon dslr with my beautiful L series lenses but I am not gonna take that out on the piss. It is strictly for daytime and in room ( pics of lovely ladies ) use.

So what would you guys recommend??

Go for something with image stabilization - you gain nearly 3 f-stops that way.

Be scene and not herd.

Go for something with image stabilization - you gain nearly 3 f-stops that way.

Does anyone here use a compact camera with image stabilizer??

If so, what sort?

Point and shoot

Canon IXUS 950 IS or PowerShot SD850 IS

Both have image stabilization

DSLR

Nikon D80 or D200

VR lens range has image stabilization

Just got this baby the panasonic DMC-FX01

Wide angle lens for group shots, image stabilisation, fits in the pocket and really fast at taking pictures.

£142

Camera.jpg

"A man does what he can until his destiny is revealed"

There's light at the end of this long tunnel

Are things like digital cameras cheaper to buy in Thailand than in the USA? I have one that's too big too travel, I need to buy a small camera that takes good quality pics for my trip. Just wondering if I might be better off buying it in Bangkok...

I would get it, in the USA much better return policy, and service, if you need it, in los you are really out of luck..try costco..or best buy..

if i can throw the question back, anyone want to give me any advice here ?.

so, i want to buy a new camera. i've got myself set on one of these.

i'm not woried about carrying the bigger one around.

they're about the same price.

i'm not worried about the 6500 taking "AA" batteries.

you may have seen some of my photos here, if so you will know that ALL i want to do is take portrait/body shots.

if you care to recommend another camera please feel free

basically i would like to hear from some of you guys that know a bit about cameras to have a quick read of these 2 reviews and tell me which you would buy.

or does it just come down to size ?.

the links. (i'm told the best review site).

FUJIFILM S6500.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06071302...films6500fd.asp

76417-5246.jpg

FUJIFILM f31d

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092501fujif31fd.asp

76417-5247.jpg

It's hard to compare a full size digital camera with the pocket variety. I've got both, but the one I'm likely to take with me and thus the one I'm most likely to use is the small one. It fits in my pocket and the pictures are just fine.

Taken with the little Canon:

IMG_0135.JPG

It's hard to compare a full size digital camera with the pocket variety. I've got both, but the one I'm likely to take with me and thus the one I'm most likely to use is the small one. It fits in my pocket and the pictures are just fine.

Taken with the little Canon:

great shot, nice pussy, you might have sold me on the compact.

i just found out the f40 takes SD and XD memory cards.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a semi-serious photographer and found the digital SLR to be a pain in the arse when bar hopping.

I noticed that girls in your room are sometimes intimidated by a big SLR.

I was thinking about picking up a quality, pocket sized camera for that reason.

Some of the waterproof versions look interesting.

Edited by texpatriate

The only problem with a compact is that the girls often refer to them as 'internet cameras' and realize where the photo may end up. With an SLR most think that the camera is 35mm film, which can be 'confirmed' with an empty film box of Kodak or similar (picked out a bin).

At the end of the day they are either camera shy or not - no point in having a blurry pic with a towel draped over the head.

Be scene and not herd.

• 1 month later...

I used a Canon Power Shot SD600 Digital Elph on my last LOS trip.

It is a fairly dummy proof camera with enough features to keep medium to semi advanced users happy.

It uses a Lithium battery that lasts around 5 to 10 hours depending on use. I picked up an extra battery (Around $20) and it came in very handy. As most girls want to see the picture .5 seconds after it is taken.

The camera is very small and easily fits into ones pocket. It also takes decent videos. The highest video setting will eat up a large amount of memory. Lowering it to the 2nd highest setting gave me about 79 min on a 1 gig card.

Camera is a great way to chronicle your trip. I use two cards, one for “Night time” & one for tiger zoo, tropical garden stuff. It helps me avoid any embarrassing moments when I show my pictures…

I have a Canon S3 and am thinking about Fuji f31. I think that is the best camera for a night out.

I saw some the other day, I think for 190$. Goggle is your best friend but it could be out of stock.

I saw some the other day, I think for 190$. Goggle is your best friend but it could be out of stock.

They appear to be refurbished. Probably best to get the F31 before it becomes a discontinued model. It's replacement, the F50, will be out in two weeks.

I bring a Canon Ixus 900 Ti, small and compact but still i'm too lazy to bring it with me all the time. So yesterday i bought a Sony Ericsson K810i with a very good camera with flash, and that one i know i'll bring with me all the time :rolleyes:

I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-W35 7.2 mega pixel.

Compact easy to use with very good zoom facitalty and a great movie mode

You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be taken out of context and used against you!

I have a Nikon L10.

Costst only around 100 Euros. Therefore, no big risk when loosing (if you back up pictures).

With 4GB High capacity SD card (35 Euros) you can make 1,5 hours 640 x 480 video or 1800 5Mpixel pictures (coded in jpg).

Good quality (Nikon lens). But not so good in low light condition, so keep those lights on in the room.

I just bought a HP Photosmart M537 from Best Buy for $109 US and a 2 Gig SD card for $39. It is 6 MP, simple to use and small enough to fit on in my pocket. I am very happy with this camera. I was debating whether to take a camera or not until I started seeing the pictures here on this board. I would not leave home without it now.

• 5 weeks later...
DRebel XTi is a heck of a camera, I've got one (and have had an original DRebel for about 3 years before that) but have never wanted to take a camera that bulky to Thailand when traveling on my own and NOT primarily there for the sightseeing :Chokdee: as I figured it was a bigger theft risk than something pocketable and would likely intimidate the puying rather more. Debating bringing the DRebel this time as at least I'd just be losing the spare.

I'm very fond of my smaller camera (Canon S60) which has gotten some very good results and cost all of about $250 which is what one lens costs for the SLRs.

THose are good cameras. I brought my 20d to Pattaya last time- mainly taking shots of the girls- didn't go outside with it much.

• 2 weeks later...

My t100 died last month so I replaced it with a Canon a650is ( big mistake as the thing is huge heavy and worst of all slow ! ) low light focusing is a joke ( vital for bar and st room work ). ( would avoid the new g9 for the same reasons as they are virtually identical. )