IGNORED

What Cameras and Cam's are best to take w/you

luvtomuff

Khagai,

Thanks for taking time to do a lengthy reply. I'm on a lo/no budget as usual. I'm looking at a secondhand pentax *ist ds. I'll have to chk if sb600 is fully compatible. I checked it briefly on vimeo and online. I'll research over xmas and feedback. I already have a travel tripod that extends quite high but folds up small. You bounce off ceiling or carry an umbrella?

On vdo, you mentioned a sony lv500. Is that the right code?

thanks

Misspoke on the Sony, it is the CX-500V or 520V. They are new and pricey (around $1000), but from the reviews I have read, the best low-light camcorders. I am lucky to have some discretionary income to indulge myself, and I also think, so little time, so much to do, no time is better than now, because you don't know what the road ahead has in store.

I would guess that the SB600 is NOT fully compatible with a Pentax. It would probably work as an onboard TTL flash, or offboard if cable-connected. But I doubt that any of the Nikon Creative Lighting system function would work since the camera (Pentax/Canon, whatever) does not have the controls in the firmware to interface. That would be a Nikon exclusive since they make the cameras (that interface) and the flash. Given that, you could do better (and cheaper) with another flash if it is going to be TTL or cable connected off-camera TTL.

And yes, I bounce off ceilings/walls with flash, use a flash diffuser, bought a cheap umbrella in BKK (obviously use it only with planned shoots), and use white plastic shower curtains (they are really cheap at Big C, etc) as backgrounds, and sometimes as curtains (for sunlight).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• altec123

• Laawman

• Slapman

• rakirun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just bought a Canon 780is specifically for my trip coming up ...

my previous P&S died

this camera is fairly basic .. pretty much has no options as far as any manual settings are concerned...

but that is specifically why i bought it...

im very much into photography and sometimes get soooo obsessed with getting a perfect shot...

im trying to break free from that this trip and keep it super basic!

point shoot and move on!

I use these 2 they come with me where ever I go................:GoldenSmile1:

mg505_big2.jpg

02_fujifilm_finepix_s9500.jpg

01_fujifilm_finepix_s9500.jpg

Not a bad picture from the S9500

DSCF5316.jpg

I'm looking at buying either the Canon s90 or the lumix LX3 both are rated between the digital compact and slr's. I currently have a Sony t77 that is ok

• 1 month later...

OK, I vote for the Panasonic Lumix LX3, and a bit less expensive the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 (now, available used less than 150 USD).

It's gotta go in your pocket, right? The camera, I mean...

Though, I have seen the Canon s90, and I might agree with Chuk Wa about that one. The Canon s90 is a great little machine. The programmable ring around the lens barrel is brilliant!!

David G.

• 2 months later...

I usually travel with a bunch of Nikon gear, but I just bought a new mini 4/3 rig from Olympus...I use some external flash with optical triggers for a mini studio...

Cheers

Olympus e pl1 tvl kit (Large).jpg

Edited by george671

If you look for very compact, but still very capable, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 is your best choice.(I'm a tech geek, and do a lot of research before I buy)

It is last year model, so you can get it very cheap. 12x zoom, 10mp, great auto settings, hd movie with zoom. I pay for mine 280€.

<p>

I use the Olympus tough as it is a true mans camera, it is water proof, drop proof.

You just can't kill it.

Olympus tough.jpg

If you look for very compact, but still very capable, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 is your best choice.(I'm a tech geek, and do a lot of research before I buy)

It is last year model, so you can get it very cheap. 12x zoom, 10mp, great auto settings, hd movie with zoom. I pay for mine 280€.

Yep, TZ7, that's my 'weapon' of choice also. Compact, good zoom, great lens.

Only trouble is I can't be fucked carrying a phone and a camera, so I started looking for the ultimate combo in a cellphone recently.

I wanted a touch screen, easier to operate and best for internet and viewing your photos. My mate had a SE C905, 8MP, Xenon flash, but not TScreen. Great photos and flash, but didn't like and sold.

Currently have the Samsung i8910 (Omnia HD), great phone, good camera, but only LED flash. Shoots great HD video with the latest (non Samsung) hacked firmware from HyperX, but I wish it had a xenon flash.

Still waiting for the ultimate camera phone, nothing on the horizon this year looks like it will fit the bill...Vivaz, none of the Androids, Xperions, all have their downsides.

Oh well, something to look forward to...maybe 2011, 2012

GeeMan

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from 2.5 months in Pattaya and took two cameras. The first was my Nikon D700 with a 50mm lenses as well as a 24-70mm lens. The second was a Canon G11. I ended up using my D700 most of the time and the quality of the pictures justified the weight. I am returning in August and will be taking both cameras again.

• 9 months later...

Slapman, Djzan, Med5, Sateef - photo fans. You will get a big kick out of this video from a Phantom High Speed Digital Cinema camera shooting 2564 frames per second.

http://www.tomguilmette.com/archives/1986

I'm looking at buying either the Canon s90 or the lumix LX3 both are rated between the digital compact and slr's. I currently have a Sony t77 that is ok

OK, I vote for the Panasonic Lumix LX3, and a bit less expensive the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 (now, available used less than 150 USD).

It's gotta go in your pocket, right? The camera, I mean...

Though, I have seen the Canon s90, and I might agree with Chuk Wa about that one. The Canon s90 is a great little machine. The programmable ring around the lens barrel is brilliant!!

David G.

If you go for the Canon, get the S95, not the S90. Should be same pricing, and you gain 720p video as well as a few other minor adjustments. They also fixed the "loose" adjustment ring on the back side so you don't accidentally change settings without meaning to.

Edited by DMustang

• 4 weeks later...

Last year I brought a Nikon D700 with a 50mm and a 24-70 mm lens. I also had the battery grip on the camera body. Great pictures but a reqally heavy kit to take around. This time I am using a Canon S95

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Sony NEX5. Great little camera but what sealed it for me was the quality of the video. I took this in October outside at midnight and couldnt believe how good the video was.

And this video was shot from the back off a bhat bus.

• 3 weeks later...

If you go for the Canon, get the S95, not the S90. Should be same pricing, and you gain 720p video as well as a few other minor adjustments. They also fixed the "loose" adjustment ring on the back side so you don't accidentally change settings without meaning to.

Can second the recommendation of the S95 - never used the S90 to compare to but have been blown away by the S95, it is the best compact camera I've ever used. The manual controls aren't perfect, but they're usable, the low-light quality without flash is superlative (important for action) and the overall quality is similar to my somewhat-dated DSLR. All in a package that fits in a shirt pocket.

Very much night and day better than the S60 I used to use.

Edited by mister_handy

I currently use a large DSLR for many of my images but always wanted to have a more flexible option when out and about. I have spent some time looking at the market and ended up with a group of point and shoot options all within budget and offering image quality that would be acceptable. Samsung ES1, Cannon S95, Nikon P300, Olympus XZ1 and the Lumix LX5

After trying each option for a couple of days thanks to me friendly Camera Shop I can really say that they are all excellent options and my final decision was really down to small individual requirements on my part including night images and not using flash.

Nikon P300

854131262_640.jpg