IGNORED

Bad experience on soi diana

during the day for sure i would have given 100 for the beer and walked away, i did try to laugh it off initially but this woman was right in my face with no humour at all .. and then id lost my temper a bit by the audacity of the thing so I couldnt see me just walking away by that point, maybe if id just persisted in laughing it off she would have backed down .. possibly ..

It's always easier with hindsight to decide what should have been done but not so easy when it is happening now and you have only a few seconds to make a decision. I haven't visited Thailand yet but I think situations like this have to be judged case by case.

The correct response may have been to call the tourist police (1155)or pay 100baht and leave or you may have been right to pay the 1000baht; it's possible that you subconsciously noticed clues around you that made you aware the situation was dangerous. I can think of several amusing things I might have done in the same situation but when you get hit with a scam like this there is no time to prepare a clever response, all you can do is go with your best instincts.

Is there a list anywhere of "black list" bars? I'd like to post the list in any topics I reply to on other forums where Pattaya might be discussed - Yahoo, MySpace, FaceBook et cetera.

Is there a list anywhere of "black list" bars? I'd like to post the list in any topics I reply to on other forums where Pattaya might be discussed - Yahoo, MySpace, FaceBook et cetera.

It's hard to accurately blacklist a Pattaya business. Reason being, there's such a high turnover amongst the staff. A place may treat you like garbage during one holiday and the next time you return, they have all new faces. Even the owner may be different.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this bar from June tour I would walk past this group of bars on my way to the NID bar further down on the left for my first beer of the night..I always had a girl with me and noted the line of girls sat facing the street on the stools this group of bars have always been off my list but the first bar the large one with the pizza place and band which is owned by a farang is cool and never a problem " heartbreaker bar" or something similar but as for the rest they look iffy and a bit rough so have never bothered and now never will

It seems like Jim's Bar is appropriately named. The bloke's a complete cock!

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

It seems like Jim's Bar is appropriately named. The bloke's a complete cock!

Ok, I guess I don't get this one.

(Jim = cock???????)

Allen

It's funny I read this today. I was at Jim's yesterday for the first time. I was just walking around ad saw the place. They were serving beers in coffee mugs because of the holiday.I just had one drink and left. I didn't have a problem, but definitely not a service oriented place. After reading the posts, I will be definitely avoiding the place in the future.

Ok, I guess I don't get this one.

(Jim = cock???????)

Allen

Chai.

sgu_banner.gif

English please.

(chai is also a type of tea.)

Allen

We call it Chaa down our way.

You are correct sir.

sgu_banner.gif

We call it Chaa down our way.

You are correct sir.

So then, why did you say:

"It seems like Jim's Bar is appropriately named. The bloke's a complete cock!

I'm not defending the place but what you said just doesn't seem to make sense.

Allen

Same thoughts here. I'm not saying anyone should do what I'd do, but my personality would not have allowed me to pay a blatant, lazy and unimaginative shake down like that. The mamasan might as well have walked up to a stranger on the street and demanded 1,000 baht. That's how outrageous this scam sounds. It's nearly too out of line to be true, even for Pattaya.

I second that thoroughly.

So then, why did you say:

"It seems like Jim's Bar is appropriately named. The bloke's a complete cock!

I'm not defending the place but what you said just doesn't seem to make sense.

Allen

i'm english. i don't get it either. only link i can make is jim = pussy in thai. hence cock reference.

i'm english. i don't get it either. only link i can make is jim = pussy in thai. hence cock reference.

Maybe that's it.

(thanks)

Allen

Although I would say right now I would have just put down the 100 bhat and walked out, I would have kept calm and just smiled but at the time if I am in this situation it would depend on the mood I am in and the state I am in as to how I would react.

One way to get back at them would be to print of a number of copies of this post, before hand though, get someone to translate into Thai so it is in both languages copy it into a word document A4 size and enlarge the lettering, take a pic of the mamasan and copy that onto page so you have a flyer and distribute copies inside the bar and around the other bars near by and tape it to places in and around the area.

That would cause a big loss of face.

Edited by mbiggs

Although I would say right now I would have just put down the 100 bhat and walked out, I would have kept calm and just smiled but at the time if I am in this situation it would depend on the mood I am in and the state I am in as to how I would react.

One way to get back at them would be to print off a number of copies of this post, before hand though, get someone to translate into Thai so it is in both languages copy it into a word document A4 size and enlarge the lettering to take a pic of the mamasan and copy that onto page so you have a flyer. and distribute copies inside the bar and around the other bars near buy and tape it to places in and around the area.

That would cause a big loss of face.

I'd be a bit too scared to do that.

One thing I noticed in Thailand particularly around the bars is there's eyes and ears practically everywhere. I always get the feeling that I (as well as other people especially mongers) are constantly being watched, whether guys on mopeds/motorbikes or people from other bars, buildings, etc.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I know the place you are talking about. Have passed many, many times. Though I've never gone in, have stopped for beer at other little bars along that road.

Will definitely put "Jim's" on my shit-list now, and will advise others to do the same.

Will give this bar a wide berth,but their are new tourists arriving every week. They are going to carry on this scam until someone calls the tourist police

I think the reason why scammers, in Thailand in particular, continue their ways with no thoughts as to any consequences is because, as jacky21 points out, new tourists come through every day. That's why the Grand Palace scammers continue to thrive. As do the jet ski scammers. And the bar scammers. And so on and so forth.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

good reminder to be prepared for anything and stay calm.

delete my account please

Calling the tourist police is maybe the best thing to do but it still will be your single word against the entire working staff. And my experiences with the tourist police is that they always try to talk problems away. So you will end up by being convinced to pay as this is the best way to avoid problems for everybody. So is calling them still a good option, no! You can pay to avoid problems or keep calm and be prepared for something but smile your way out and pay what you have drinked!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Calling the tourist police is maybe the best thing to do but it still will be your single word against the entire working staff. And my experiences with the tourist police is that they always try to talk problems away. So you will end up by being convinced to pay as this is the best way to avoid problems for everybody. So is calling them still a good option, no! You can pay to avoid problems or keep calm and be prepared for something but smile your way out and pay what you have drinked!

You probably right that you are likely to have to pay even after involving the tourist police, however, had they had visits from the tourist police regularly they would probably think twice. I can imagine that would not look good for them, and cause them to loose face even if paid. So keeping the tourist police out of it might be in their best interest, where as a noisy complaining customer isn't something many would react very much too.

Just finished reading this thread and then happened to walk down Soi Diana last night. 3 Falang were there, a woman waved at me to come over and I just laughed and kept going.

Trip Reports: May/June 2022 - 27 Leche Loads Jakarta/BKK/Pattaya

Popped my Cherry 2010 - Philippines - Part 1 & Thailand - Part 2  - Quick Trip Report BKK/Pattaya 2017

• 2 weeks later...

"mbiggs, on 06 August 2010 - 03:25 AM, said:

One way to get back at them would be to print off a number of copies of this post, before hand though, get someone to translate into Thai so it is in both languages copy it into a word document A4 size and enlarge the lettering to take a pic of the mamasan and copy that onto page so you have a flyer. and distribute copies inside the bar and around the other bars near buy and tape it to places in and around the area. That would cause a big loss of face."

[/u]

I'd be a bit too scared to do that.

One thing I noticed in Thailand particularly around the bars is there's eyes and ears practically everywhere. I always get the feeling that I (as well as other people especially mongers) are constantly being watched, whether guys on mopeds/motorbikes or people from other bars, buildings, etc.

LonelyMan

Yes one of the main things I have learned about Pattaya is that it is a VERY corrupt City from the Top to the Bottom (no puns please.)

As a punter there - you are basically on your own. The best way is avoid it happening (not always possible I know) is by thinking many things through and setting up a routine and a safer way of living/staying there. For me that includes the exact area I stay and which areas I drink and go hunting in. I always stay on (or VERY near) a busy all night street - 2nd Road, Beach Road, Central Road, Soi Baukow etc.

When alone I never drink (especially late at night) in empty bars or bars with several Thai MEN 'hanging around' in them.

You will NEVER beat their system. When things go wrong, Thai men come out of nowhere and MANY Thai men who work/pimp in Patts are bad dudes. Drugs, violence, gambling and alcoholism are rife amongst them.

In general the Police have two main things in their mind - an easy life and making some money out of any problem reported to them.

I do not just base my judgements on my own observations/experiences although I have used Patts now for 10 years up to 6 months each year.

I have a Thai wife (8 years married now) who is very well educated and for many years has worked in various agencies in BKK including Solicitors, Politicians, Accountants etc. She tells me tales that have really surprised me. AND believe me I am not easily surprised.

Over the years I have had two rooms broken into and bits stolen. I have been pick pocketed on the Songtaew Baht Bus. I have been attacked by ladyboys on several occassions - on each occasion it was late at night, whilst alone and in darker quiet areas. (Even dark areas of a main road - they often hide behind cars and even motorbikes.)

I am not here to make judgement about Lady-boys. (Whatever floats your boat, as they say.) BUT do not forget that the fun-loving sexy creature who has a laugh and joke, and tries 'it's' luck with a group of farangs - can be a very different creature if you are alone in a quiet area.

Sorry I'm getting off the thread subject here. The truth is that Patts offers wonderful times but it's a very 'easy pickings' place for some.

Personally I would NOT have paid the 1000 Baht. I would have protested quietly. Got out my telephone and appeared to use it. Put 100 Baht into the Check Bin. Slowly walked out pretending to be talking to the Police and crossed the road into the hotel amongst people and relative safety.

Pattaya Warrior - You make a good point when you say "I think the reason why scammers, in Thailand in particular, continue their ways with no thoughts as to any consequences is because, as jacky21 points out, new tourists come through every day. That's why the Grand Palace scammers continue to thrive. As do the jet ski scammers. And the bar scammers. And so on and so forth."

OK - I'll shut up now.

Edited by over2you

I would not pay no way I bar fined a chick from there last year but never really sat down and had a drink.

"mbiggs, on 06 August 2010 - 03:25 AM, said:

One way to get back at them would be to print off a number of copies of this post, before hand though, get someone to translate into Thai so it is in both languages copy it into a word document A4 size and enlarge the lettering to take a pic of the mamasan and copy that onto page so you have a flyer. and distribute copies inside the bar and around the other bars near buy and tape it to places in and around the area. That would cause a big loss of face."

[/u]

LonelyMan

Yes one of the main things I have learned about Pattaya is that it is a VERY corrupt City from the Top to the Bottom (no puns please.)

As a punter there - you are basically on your own. The best way is avoid it happening (not always possible I know) is by thinking many things through and setting up a routine and a safer way of living/staying there. For me that includes the exact area I stay and which areas I drink and go hunting in. I always stay on (or VERY near) a busy all night street - 2nd Road, Beach Road, Central Road, Soi Baukow etc.

When alone I never drink (especially late at night) in empty bars or bars with several Thai MEN 'hanging around' in them.

You will NEVER beat their system. When things go wrong, Thai men come out of nowhere and MANY Thai men who work/pimp in Patts are bad dudes. Drugs, violence, gambling and alcoholism are rife amongst them.

In general the Police have two main things in their mind - an easy life and making some money out of any problem reported to them.

I do not just base my judgements on my own observations/experiences although I have used Patts now for 10 years up to 6 months each year.

I have a Thai wife (8 years married now) who is very well educated and for many years has worked in various agencies in BKK including Solicitors, Politicians, Accountants etc. She tells me tales that have really surprised me. AND believe me I am not easily surprised.

Over the years I have had two rooms broken into and bits stolen. I have been pick pocketed on the Songtaew Baht Bus. I have been attacked by Ladyboys on several occassions - on each occasion it was late at night, whilst alone and in darker quiet areas. (Even dark areas of a main road - they often hide behind cars and even motorbikes.)

I am not here to make judgement about Lady-boys. (Whatever floats your boat, as they say.) BUT do not forget that the fun-loving sexy creature who has a laugh and joke, and tries 'it's' luck with a group of farangs - can be a very different creature if you are alone in a quiet area.

Sorry I'm getting off the thread subject here. The truth is that Patts offers wonderful times but it's a very 'easy pickings' place for some.

Personally I would NOT have paid the 1000 Baht. I would have protested quietly. Got out my telephone and appeared to use it. Put 100 Baht into the Check Bin. Slowly walked out pretending to be talking to the Police and crossed the road into the Hotel amongst people and relative safety.

Pattaya Warrior - You make a good point when you say "I think the reason why scammers, in Thailand in particular, continue their ways with no thoughts as to any consequences is because, as jacky21 points out, new tourists come through every day. That's why the Grand Palace scammers continue to thrive. As do the jet ski scammers. And the bar scammers. And so on and so forth."

OK - I'll shut up now.

This is a great point. At all times you have to have your wits about you and think what you are doing. So many of us travel alone and as such are vulnerable.

I never go into a bar that does not have others in it and try to stick to well lit areas. To be honest I do the same here back home so why take risks in a foreign country when the odds are stacked against you in favour of the locals. I never get overly drunk unless indeed unless in a group who are all going back to the same place I do not get anywhere near drunk. Even with my rules I have been scammed by taxi's or in a bar when they short change you.

The motto must be "Be careful out there"

Loving it on Soi 6

I am not trying to scaremonger guys who wish to go/or indeed occasionally go to Patts.

Those who live, or spend long periods there, will know that there is a huge 'rip off scene' there.

Same as there was in Soho London years ago - and maybe still is. I don't know.

Any illegal, (yes Prostitution in Thailand IS illegal,) orientated place on earth will attract many rogues and criminals.

Pattaya is no different. (Strangely enough prostitution is NOT illegal in the UK. Please Google it before you argue.)

I constantly sit in Bars trying to convince naive 'newbies' to Patts that sometimes things are not always what they seem.

Because you spend 2 weeks a year there for the last 5 years and have never been ripped off, attacked or whatever does NOT mean it is a squeaky clean place.

From what I have experienced and heard from others over 10 years, MOST crime never gets reported. Either through embarrassment, too much hassle, non belief in the Law system, avoidance of the Pattaya News Cameras who follow the Police round - or too drunk to remember etc etc etc.

Please believe me and others. It's a minefield out there. Enjoy it BUT be under no illusions that it is a free ride.

You have been warned.

I was that man.

The safest way to enjoy Patts is being with others - NOT ALONE - and you will still get ripped off sometimes.

(Here's one for all you Guys lusting after a Thai beauty. Cute mai?)

(Sorry pic borrowed off some site or other, or even this one - can't remember from where.)

post-10094-058779600 1282349558.jpg

Edited by over2you