IGNORED

Cricket World Cup

michaelduni

Any crickets fans here following the world cup ? South Africa and New Zealand have started off strong, followed by Pakistan and hosts India are at the top of the rankings now. The top 4 teams make it to the semi finals. I expect England and Australia who have strong teams to move up in the next week or two. Also, seem likes many batting records seem to be getting set already, and its still early days, and many of the teams have talented line ups for setting up big scores. Do you have a favorite for winning the title ?

I’ve watched most games so far. Early days as everyone plays everyone else.

India, New Zealand, South Africa look very good along with Pakistan. 

Netherlands, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have no chance.

England and Australia need to improve. England might just make the semis with a lot of luck but Australia really look to be struggling as they lack a quality spinner.

• Like 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Yes have watched most games via an excellent Indian cable channel I have in my apartment. So far looking good for the Kiwis and South Africans, but I'm expecting the hosts India to be too strong and will win the whole thing. Australia look jaded, too much cricket and IMO a tough ashes series especially the end has taken its toll. Also in Indian conditions a good spinner is imperative. A fully match fit Nathan Lyon could have made a difference. 

Should be an interesting battle to make the final four. England will need to improve to make it, and its to be hoped Rashid, Moeen Ali and Livingstone find a bit of form.

• Like 1

The Kiwis and South Africa looking dominant at this stage. Perhaps the biggest rivalry in sports with the Pakistan and India match tomorrow, and a few billion people watching on TV and 100K+ in the stadium. 

• Like 1

South Africans are on a roll and look really strong. I'm looking at them ENG, IND, and NZ being in the finals.

Generally a mistake to rule out Aus, but a semi only has 4 teams 😂

• Like 1

A couple of huge upsets. Nederlands over South Africa, and Afghanistan over England. Afghanistan plays NZ tomorrow, and will hope to repeat with another upset.

Strong performance by AUS today with Warner and Marsh setting the tone early. Pakistan got off to a great started but faltered at the end. I expect AUS to continue to move up, with defending champions England having a bit more of a difficult time.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2023 at 18:58, michaelduni said:

Strong performance by AUS today with Warner and Marsh setting the tone early. Pakistan got off to a great started but faltered at the end. I expect AUS to continue to move up, with defending champions England having a bit more of a difficult time.

England had a difficult time yesterday against South Africa ,  electing to bowl in roasting hot conditions on a very good batting track  , WTF !!   399 runs later..

England made 170 in reply and had lost the game about 2 hours after they decided to bowl . 

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun ..     SA did play very well though .

Mikeyboy

Edited by mikeyboy
add
  • Like 1

On 17/10/2023 at 18:57, bobbyg said:

Indeed. A very interesting World Cup to date

India look a very powerful all round side .  Hoping that New Zealand put them under pressure today .  

We need a really close game in this tournament , nearly all matches so far have been one sided .

Mikeyboy

• Like 2

Looks like a tight game between NZ and IND, and could go either way.

Hoping that ENG can bounce back in the next few games, and AUS seems to have turned the corner.

Giant killers AFG beat Pakistan today, and did it in style beating them by 8 wickets!

With all the geopolitical tensions, its wonderful to see players from countries all around the world competing intensely for their nations pride! And doing it with joy and respect for the other team.

England v Netherlands on 8 November could be a crucial game…

…to decide the Wooden Spoon.

• Haha 1

Sad to see ENG struggling - they are the defending champs. I am sure they will be some soul searching as to what went wrong.

AUS is now in the top 4, and IND is the only unbeaten. AUS vs NZ should be a good one to watch tomorrow, and then still looking forward to ENG IND this weekend. A number of the ENG players have played in the IPL, and they should know the competition well.

There have been some interesting results in the last week or so.

India and New Zealand still look like the best 2 teams and South Africa have re I’ve fed from the one surprising defeat to look good as well. Australia have improved and look threatening once again. 

Pakistan and even Sri Lanka will be hoping to sneak into the semis still.

England have been dreadful. The result of selecting players on the basis of who’s chums with the captain and even on who plays golf with him. Sadly, the same players have just been given new central contracts so better, younger players will still not be chosen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidge said:

England have been dreadful. The result of selecting players on the basis of who’s chums with the captain and even on who plays golf with him. Sadly, the same players have just been given new central contracts so better, younger players will still not be chosen.

Nah, that’s not it, it’s the spirit of the game that’s at fault.   The nasty nasty Sri Lankan wicket keeper ran another wandering blue blood out yesterday.  Such a shame again to see the rules being used in such a way. Disgraceful 

• Haha 4

Really close game between South Africa and Pakistan. The tournament needed that after so many one-sided games. It did confirm the doubts about SA ability to chase though. They look much better batting first.

South Africa looking pretty much nailed on for semis now, with India. One more win each should ensure it.

Big game between Australia and New Zealand tomorrow. A win for NZ would pretty much see them in the semis as well. If so, the 4th spot is really up for grabs. A win for Australia would make both teams favourites for the semis though not guaranteed.

• Like 2

There was a close call for LBW for the last wicket. SA dodged a bullet - definitely the best match so far. Pakistan fought valiantly, but luck was not on their side today - they were clearly heartbroken when that call for LBW did not go their way.

Game of the tournament so far between NZ and Australia. Wouldn’t mind seeing more games like that.

Top 4 firm favourites for semis now but still some tough games to go.

• Like 2

Great game today and a possible rehearsal for a NZ vs Aus semi final. Those top four are well clear and can't see anyone beating India on their own turf. England could still beat Holland and finish last given that there may be more possible hammerings awaiting them against India and Aus. 

Very made up and happy for Chris Silverwood the Eng vs Sri Lanka last result. A top guy who used to live in my village back in the 90s. I see Jos Buttler wants to carry on as England skipper after this World cup. All I can say is come back Eoin Morgan who was everything you'd want from a one day captain and has been really missed.

• Like 1

Interesting point has come to light today. There is a Champions Trophy in Pakistan in 2025. In the past, the top 8 teams in the world rankings would play in the tournament. However, in November 2021 the ICC decided to change the qualification criteria but didn’t really publicise it.

For 2025 Pakistan qualify as hosts and then the top 7 teams in this World Cup also qualify. 

Will England qualify?

• Sad 1

Could be a shock on today. India restricted to 229-9 and England starting well after 4 overs 26-0. Already Indian crowd stunned as their hero Kohli dismissed for a 9 ball duck

• Like 1