IGNORED

Buying & Refurbishing a House on the Darkside

Petesie

Bloody hell mate you dodged a bullet there.

• Like 2

image.png

1 hour ago, Petesie said:

This is the house we ended up with. :wink:

7992255D-3E44-4E7D-BA76-59D4F3D18D1D.jpg

Nice house. Is that trick photography or is the house pink?

edit: I forgot to add what I actually originally wanted to post. Prices in these threads are always a bonus. Then we can all see what we are missing out on

Edited by Mr Wombat

12 Pints in Know it all

Great start,looking forward to the journey of the ups and downs,it's stressful enough buying in your own country let alone a foreign one ,

4 hours ago, Mr Wombat said:

Nice house. Is that trick photography or is the house pink? edit: I forgot to add what I actually originally wanted to post. Prices in these threads are always a bonus. Then we can all see what we are missing out on

Cheers bud! 

These pics are what we originally viewed, it's changed a wee bit since then! The upper exterior of the house is actually a lighter shade of plum with the bottom third being a mid Taupe, white ledge runs around the middle of the building.

Prices; the 2 bed semi in Suwattana was going for 2.8m & he wouldn't budge, bear in mind prices were fairly buoyant around 18 months ago. I'll post the price of the house once I get to yon bit. :wink:

• Like 2

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Looking forward to reading the rest of your house buying experience. TFP!

Next one up was a superb 4 bed end of Terraced (that's the only thing I can think of to describe it!) on a quiet project housing further into the Darkside. It had a large swimming pool and I was gobsmacked at the condition of the house; everything had been decorated to the highest order and all the furniture was new. Doris was very subdued as the house was a bit too 'Hi-So'...it had been reduced from 5.8 to 4.25, just within our budget.

Catch 22 again; Lee the guy from Alan Boltons was very helpful and pushed things along for us...no original Chanote could be produced, the owner was Russian and was out of the country. 

In the meantime we looked at a few more...sometimes just going into compounds and looking around; providing security were happy with a copy of her driving license. We looked at a few that way but found initial asking prices to be ambitious to say the least.

I've noted that on a few occasions where they chuck a ridiculous figure at you usually it's with no intended malice as they don't actually know what to ask...dutifully smile & ignore it. :wink:

Doris then got a call from her contact in Gecko that this one had just appeared on the market...:o

A296E471-FC28-458C-BDED-A228B5CFBCA5.jpg

Fascinating, Petesie, keep it coming.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

You have me hooked @Petesie, loving this thread. When the story is told would love to hear from others that have invested on the Darkside.

image.png

2 hours ago, petemoss said:

Pretty much identical to mine. Tropical?

Aye laddie! :wink:

They're all same same ...but different. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jebb said:

You have me hooked @Petesie, loving this thread. When the story is told would love to hear from others that have invested on the Darkside.

Morning Jebb!

I've been coming to Thailand since '88, stayed clear of Patts till 2008, after a shitty divorce my mates told me to head here so I bloody did., I've been coming here ever since.

The Darkside opened my eyes to a alternative aspect & level of Pattaya at a different pace. I've explored some of it but not managed to do the bar scene over here yet, I'm sure that will follow once things ease off. :wink:

2 hours ago, Jebb said:

I'll wait for Petesie to finish his story then tag mine on to this thread, if that's OK?

So...we set the ball rolling & some weeks later Doris took possession and moved in, happy daze. :rolleyes:

A quick mention of 'furniture' which may benefit those going down the buying route be it a house or a condo. Properties are usually listed as;

• Fully furnished
  • Partly furnished
  • Unfurnished

Fairly self explanatory however...it's other peoples stuff. In the 3 condo's we lived in there was nothing in them I wouldn't have cheerfully tossed on a skip. We inherited the middle option which was 2 beds, table & chairs, sofa, the only thing that's left is the table & chairs. Enter the Udon factor. 

Bedroom 3 is full of stuff destined for Udon as Doris refuses to let it go. That includes the all the bloody curtains. :mad:

38C8517E-09AE-4146-91C0-D14BC84666A5.jpg 

E8AD8EF2-DE5F-43EA-9DC2-FEF3BB3D3FCD.jpg

313D2048-9635-4E9F-A210-51A14A7CFBC1.jpg

B9993FB5-4D91-4D95-934B-61908FC87CBA.jpg

Looking forward to this story

Joker...

Mate, 

There is a house here in the village that has been "sold" many times, with it never settling, the seller pocketing the deposit.... There are some very, very shady characters here, unless one knows the ins and outs of Thailand property it seems to be a minefield... 

I had enough heart stopping moments in a fully regulated country like Australia !! 

Anyway, I prefer to rent, in fact we have just put a deposit on a pool villa down Bang Saray... I have been on the darkside for a few years, love it, close enough to Patts, but so much better. Bang Saray is a bit further, but we are directly opposite the soldier beach we frequent a lot. So we will see how it goes down there :)

Good luck

Regards, Atlas.

3 hours ago, petemoss said:

I'll wait for Petesie to finish his story then tag mine on to this thread, if that's OK?

Please do.

image.png

We bought a townhouse (terrace house) in 2002 on the darkside just off Soi Nern Plab Wan. To be honest we only stay there on holidays but it was one of the best things I have ever bought. I love the area and as people say Pattaya City is not that far away.

I’m always curious as to how much work you can do on your own place (Bar or home) in Thailand.

whether it’s frowned upon as it’s seen as taking away work from locals.

i always see tradies (555) doing work in bars that’s could be easily done by the owners, homes on the other hand must be getting repaired by the owners for sure

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thai2try said:

I’m always curious as to how much work you can do on your own place (Bar or home) in Thailand.

whether it’s frowned upon as it’s seen as taking away work from locals.

i always see tradies (555) doing work in bars that’s could be easily done by the owners, homes on the other hand must be getting repaired by the owners for sure

A good question, karandy does a lot of his own work on his house and it seems to be ok.