Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buying & Refurbishing a House on the Darkside

Petesie

On 25/05/2020 at 11:07, Petesie said:

'They know what they do"

For the record I  have undertaken major rennovations on a large condo in Pattaya and a house on Darkside. The Thai tradies who were recommended to me turned out to be basically rice farmers working as unskilled hanymen between harvests. I have found it difficult to get a competent tradie who really understands what is required. 

thanks for sharing & found it informative.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, amar said:

thanks for sharing & found it informative.

Thanks bud, appreciate the feedback.

As I write the guys outside are making a racket breaking up old tiled areas ready for the new ones to be laid. I've just been taking phone pics as that's what most of us use these days and can easily identify with. Hope my rambling thoughts are of use to others. :wink:

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I've been mulling over the idea of laying laminate flooring over the tiled areas of the living area...but I like the coolness that the tiles give me! :unsure:

Prices vary enormously, I like Boontavorn for tiles, lights & furniture...their quote was over 100k.

Homepro did not have a clue, rapidly going off their so called expertise; their quote was 60k.

Baan & Beyond had a sale on & pretty much the same 64 sqm was 22k, including the membrane. :)

Tempted I am...

30 minutes ago, Petesie said:

I've been mulling over the idea of laying laminate flooring over the tiled areas of the living area...but I like the coolness that the tiles give me! :unsure:

Prices vary enormously, I like Boontavorn for tiles, lights & furniture...their quote was over 100k.

Homepro did not have a clue, rapidly going off their so called expertise; their quote was 60k.

Baan & Beyond had a sale on & pretty much the same 64 sqm was 22k, including the membrane. :)

Tempted I am...

Have you looked in Home Mart?

Suk South between Tai and Kao Talo.
Used to be the main tile place, loads of stock down the back and out front on Sale.
Maybe it changed.
Boontavorn good too, but Homepro not really.

About wallpaper, I vaguely recall asking the EX why there's not much in Thailand.
She said something like "Mai dai cannot....have animal inside can eat".
I guess it's all impregnated with insecticides?

21 minutes ago, Edge said:

Have you looked in Home Mart? Suk South between Tai and Kao Talo. Used to be the main tile place, loads of stock down the back and out front on Sale. Maybe it changed.
Boontavorn good too, but Homepro not really. About wallpaper, I vaguely recall asking the EX why there's not much in Thailand. She said something like "Mai dai cannot....have animal inside can eat". I guess it's all impregnated with insecticides?

No idea bud, when I enquired about wallpaper the only stuff locally available has temples etc. on it! B & B does have a selection which is cheaper but not the same quality... but then you have to find someone to hang it...if chunks of it start disappearing I'll know we have an alien invasion. :wink:

Since no one has mentioned it I will: those doors look superb.

Is that the revised green? No more lime? Looks good.

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.

Somewhat related to this thread... One thing that I have noticed about furnished condos/houses, in general, unless you are looking at very high end properties, the furniture looks nice and is very photogenic, but when you look close you see how cheaply made the shit is... That was the case in a Pratunmak 1 bedroom condo that I rented for a few years when I first arrived to live in Pattaya... The house I am renting on the DarkSide (5th year we are in it), was mostly unfurnished.  We bought a lot of furniture (relatively nice/big 2 story house, 3 bedrooms/office/3 bathrooms/maids room outside/bathroom outside) - all at Index - pretty nice stuff, not cheap, but not high end... The furniture has held up pretty good, even with high wear and tear by our daughter (now 4 years old)...  The only item that I don't particularly like was a relatively expensive couch, filled with duck (or goose/I forget) down... Too soft, not firm enough for my taste... but the couch gets a shitTONNE of use as well... every year as the house lease comes to a close, we think about moving, but I am not motivated to up&move (I HATE moving... I moved 14 times in 4 years/8 months, that started when I got separated from my ex-wife)... if I move, I would move to CentralPattaya or maybe NaJomtien/near the beach... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

54 minutes ago, southsidebruce said:

Somewhat related to this thread... One thing that I have noticed about furnished condos/houses, in general, unless you are looking at very high end properties, the furniture looks nice and is very photogenic, but when you look close you see how cheaply made the shit is... T

Furniture is always a personal choice; some fellas are happy with what is there but at the end of the day...it is my home & I have to live with it. Doris lived for 3 months here with only the original stuff as she knew it would be better to wait till I came & picked out the things we needed. We'd spent a few holidays going round the stores so she got a liking for my tastes. I could never make my mind up with Homepro who only offer a limited selection and you have order it and wait for it to be made.

Index wasn't too bad but again you have to insist on the floor model otherwise it's a 3 month wait. If you get it right then it's good for the long haul. There's 2 outlets also in the Index complex; one is stupidly expensive & never sells anything, the other has good quality items in from various suppliers of high end furniture including Lifestyle but again it's not for everyone's taste or pockets. They had a 60% sale there of selected floor stock. Index also have a floor stock sale on at the moment with many items 50% off.

The only thing I'd change is the curtains Doris ordered. :rolleyes:

What you mean, Teerak?

5FFF8F36-FE17-4FFA-B57F-66A58CDF98A4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

for the OP - do you have a temperature controlled room for your most amazing guitar (and amp/etc) collection (from another thread that I think is yours)?  

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

Next up we'll have a gander at the outside as that's where most of the work has been done. :wink:

The interiors were covered mainly to give some details on general prices around town.

Edited by Petesie
  • Like 2

Nipping swiftly back indoors...

Bedroom 2

As the virus hit gym memberships I got our own; Running machine 17k, weight bench & weights 16k. These were bought from the guy who operates out of Big C Extra Pattaya Klang, he's situated in the car park. We put the wardrobes in this room which frees up space in the main bedroom; these were bought from the furniture shop at the top of Klang as you turn into Sukhumvit, 10k. Aircon is the original one that still functions, blinds from B & B, 50% off (I like that when I see it) 1k.

Paint & wallpaper already paid for. :wink:

8B478B53-5F4D-4743-B263-84927B74921B.jpg

1ABC5250-9014-4312-8ED5-E87B589AF04D.jpg

F9045672-A3B8-4E3E-94B8-EF1B2705585A.jpg

On 28/05/2020 at 15:08, Petesie said:

Have you thought about vinyl flooring as an alternative?

One of the benefits is that you can replace planks that become damaged giving a longer life to the "new" look.

I have noticed that if laminate becomes frayed at all it's look goes downhill really fast.

All of that said, I like your tiles 555

7 minutes ago, 1500B said:

All of that said, I like your tiles 555

I've thought about it & decided to keep the tiles as they are for the following reasons;

• If I did go for laminate flooring I would have to do the bedrooms as well
  • The tiles are a good contrast to the wall colours
  • I like the coolness of them on me tootsies

:P

• Like 3

The blue fish....is that a Siamese Fighting Fish?

Blue Siamese Fighter - Aquatics To Your Door

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Edge said:

The blue fish....is that a Siamese Fighting Fish?

He is that mate...:wink:

S__12820488.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Petesie said:

He is that mate...:wink:

S__12820488.jpg

Bit mean on the Guppies then yum yum.

Soon he'll live alone.  :Cry3:

49 minutes ago, Edge said:

If I get any more guitars I might be with him...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

I think we have all had experience with the Siamese fighting variety. Make them angry at your peril. 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

image.png

Hey mate,

Looking good. 

I have to question your tank size ! :)

We had a 1500 Ltr tank which was fine until they stopped the town water everyday.... Then we added the kids so we went and bought a second tank and plumbed it in. With very sporadic town water I end up moving a storm pipe directly into the tank, filled them both up after our first storm ! Excellent.  And a few weeks later we have moved to Sattahip, bought out extra tank with us and now have to sort it out, as the water situation here is no better... 

Anyway good luck with the rest of it. :)

Regards, Atlas.