IGNORED

Christmas Menus 2019

Taa_Saparot

Well, M&S here in the UK have started selling their Turkey Feast sandwiches so Christmas must be close :rolleyes:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

16 minutes ago, davidge said:

Well, M&S have started selling their Turkey Feast sandwiches so Christmas must be close :rolleyes:

M&S already have Christmas puddings/cake for sale in central festival pattaya 

• Like 1

We're back in town for a few months over Christmas again this year and starting to think about where to have Christmas Lunch.

Our fave has been the buffet at the Hilton and this is probably our default but at 10,000THB (incl the wine option) it's worth looking around to see what the good options are.

Any ideas?

Thanks 

C&M xxx

Best to keep things in one thread:

Threads merged.

• Like 2

• davidge locked this topic

Just my grumpy old man thoughts, but .....

I do not like buffets (the food gets quickly dried out) and the offerings at the better restaurants for Xmas lunch/dinner as well as American Thanksgiving tend to be ridiculously overpriced IMO.

Me and the lady friend usually go for Thai food on these days.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Just my grumpy old man thoughts, but .....

I do not like buffets (the food gets quickly dried out) and the offerings at the better restaurants for Xmas lunch/dinner as well as American Thanksgiving tend to be ridiculously overpriced IMO.

Me and the lady friend usually go for Thai food on these days.

I agree wholeheartedly 

However ,I have been told I am grumpy 

Whilst there’s no doubt Xmas Dinner is overpriced in Pattaya - and not just in the best restaurants - there’s still plenty of us who partake when there. I don’t arrive until the 29th so won’t be joining my friends this year.

You’re looking at paying around 1000 baht for a very average meal/buffet in many places. Much more in some restaurants.

On 21/10/2019 at 23:22, Taa_Saparot said:

It's only October but these are starting to appear already ..

75332816_803003506822640_851305305390396

Greg's?? Is that the same Greg that was on 2nd rd, near soi 5, then moved to Drinking street? I thought he was long gone? Where is his new restaurant?

1 minute ago, WhiteThai said:

Greg's?? Is that the same Greg that was on 2nd rd, near soi 5, then moved to Drinking street? I thought he was long gone? Where is his new restaurant?

I ‘think’ he’s out near the lake - but don’t quote me :)

• Thanks 1

Here’s last year’s thread for those wanting a general idea of what may be available:

For the first time for years , I will be staying at home for a Xmas dinner ,  will be looking forward to have a Xmas dinner in Ireland ,  Many Times over the years , Xmas dinners in a Pattaya was not great .  Disorganized, cold , I give up . A few was alright , nothing beat Xmas dinners in your home country ... Have a nice Xmas dinners , make sure you be there early otherwise you would be getting a bad leftovers from the turkeys and missing Vegs ( all gone ) , happened tome few times . 

Edited by jocky king

3 minutes ago, jocky king said:

For the first time for years , I will be staying at home for a Xmas dinner ,  will be looking forward to have a Xmas dinner in Ireland ,  Many Times over the years , Xmas dinners in a Pattaya was not great .  Disorganized, cold , I give up . A few was alright , nothing beat Xmas dinners in your home country ... Have a nice Xmas dinners , make sure you be there early otherwise you would be getting a bad leftovers from the turkeys and missing Vegs ( all gone ) , happened tome few times . 

Last year’s effort here in Wales:

image.jpeg

Not my best effort but I enjoyed it :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

Yes, same guy.

Did you not miss out his spell at Witherspoons on Soi Buakhao?

On the Darkside now.

11 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Yes, same guy.

Did you not miss out his spell at Witherspoons on Soi Buakhao?

On the Darkside now.

I didn't know he was at Witherspoons. I missed out.

Thanks for the info, but the darkside and especially the lake is too far for me.

Damn shame as I really enjoyed Greg's cooking. When he was on 2nd rd I used to go there often for breakfast or lunch, good stuff!

Edited by WhiteThai

5 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

3 hours ago, jocky king said:

Many Times over the years , Xmas dinners in a Pattaya was not great .  Disorganized, cold , I give up . A few was alright , nothing beat Xmas dinners in your home country ... Have a nice Xmas dinners , make sure you be there early otherwise you would be getting a bad leftovers from the turkeys and missing Vegs ( all gone ) , happened to me few times . 

Most Pattaya restaurants aren't outfitted or staffed for successful buffets or fixed-plate dinners on a large scale.  The kitchens are too small and lack the equipment to make the amount of food needed for a buffet and then keep it warm and fresh for hours.   And if the restaurant  goes with a fixed-plate variation, the challenge of preparing and serving double or triple the number of covers it normally does in a day can be overwhelming.

The exception to the above would be some of the restaurants in the big international hotels such as the Hilton or Hard Rock (in my opinion, the best Xmas carvery buffet in town).  Such hotels can manage buffets and fixed-plate dinners, but they ain't cheap.

HR2.jpg.5a6f50c9b1ad09a649fb80096d2f04cf.jpg

The prime directive for Christmas meals in Pattaya, whether buffet-style or fixed-plate, is get there as early as possible, preferably as soon as serving begins.  There can be a HUGE difference in the quality of the food served in the same restaurant depending how late in the day it gets.

And as happens every year, the guys who believe WS stunners should be happy with 1,200 baht L/T will be having their customary bowl of gruel and crust of bread on Christmas Eve.

large_scroogea.jpg.58e5d106c2f10455eddf1b0ca40c2b32.jpg.7f7724ff028466df3b136865f3950e6a.jpg

Evil

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

@Sexy Couple   If you are looking for a  buffet-style Christmas lunch,  the Hard Rock Cafe or Dicey Riley's  could be alternatives to the Hilton.  Fixed-plate fine-dining options could be Cafe des Amis or Casa Pascal.

Evil

• Like 1

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

@Sexy Couple   If you are looking for a  buffet-style Christmas lunch,  the Hard Rock Cafe or Dicey Riley's  could be alternatives to the Hilton.  Fixed-plate fine-dining options could be Cafe des Amis or Casa Pascal.

Evil

Thanks for that.

For some reason, I can see your response but not our posting :wacko:

Cheers

C&M x

Edited by Sexy Couple
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sexy Couple said:

Thanks for that.

Cheers

C&M x

That’s because this is a different thread :GoldenSmile1:

Give me a minute and I’ll merge them so your post appears in this one...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sexy Couple said:

Thanks for that.

Cheers

C&M x

Ok, done. You started your thread in Advanced and this thread is in the public section so I wouldn’t usually merge. As this is about Christmas Dinner, I didn’t think it was an issue.

• Like 1

The Dusit hotel also has an annual Christmas dinner. I found always it to be pricey. Apparently with me more people because last year the initial menu prices was lowered towards Christmas.  They have a number of options depending on the day and time of the day (lunch or dinner).

Edited by Halfaboy

42 minutes ago, davidge said:

Ok, done. You started your thread in Advanced and this thread is in the public section so I wouldn’t usually merge. As this is about Christmas Dinner, I didn’t think it was an issue.

Thanks

The cheap charlie option, OK for me. At the Hungry Hippo Soi Buakhao.

IMG_20191020_120811.jpg

Edited by chris2004
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

7656A94F-8F39-44B4-ABF3-D15D837A8FED.jpeg

• Like 2