IGNORED

Get ready for the tears, MS soon to pull the plug on Windows 7

Garzan

Saw this in my news feed today...

The community of My Digital Life, an online tech support forum, has found a way to bypass Microsoft's restrictions and allow the installation of Windows 7 Extended Security Updates on all systems, and not just those who paid Microsoft's fee.

The official Windows 7 end-of-support date is January 14, 2020, just a few weeks away. [article continues]

https://www.zdnet.com/article/bypass-discovered-to-allow-windows-7-extended-security-updates-on-all-systems/

10 hours ago, Garzan said:

Saw this in my news feed today...

The community of My Digital Life, an online tech support forum, has found a way to bypass Microsoft's restrictions and allow the installation of Windows 7 Extended Security Updates on all systems, and not just those who paid Microsoft's fee.

Still say these updates will find their way to all users eventually.

This thread prompted me to look in to this.

I'm still on 7 and probably need to bite the bullet now.

From what I've read it appears my reluctance to move is now going to cost me.

Is that correct or is the upgrade free?

2 hours ago, BlooBell said:

From what I've read it appears my reluctance to move is now going to cost me.

Is that correct or is the upgrade free?

This article from C/Net is less than a month old. (November 16, 2019)

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

With support for Windows 7 ending in January 2020, Microsoft is encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10 to keep devices running securely and smoothly. On Microsoft's website, the Windows 10 Home operating system costs $139 to download. However, you don't necessarily have to shell out the cash: A free upgrade offer from Microsoft that technically ended in 2016 still works. 

When Windows 10 was first released in July 2015, Microsoft offered an unprecedented free upgrade offer for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users, good through July 2016. But in 2017, Ed Bott from CNET's sister site ZDNet reported that the free upgrade tool was still functional. As of November 2019, readers still report that it works, Bott confirmed to CNET. I tried it out, and was able to upgrade a 2014 Dell OptiPlex 9020 desktop machine from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. 

• 2 weeks later...

This guy has got to be one of the driest presenters on YouTube but in his own dusty style, he does put out good information--provided you can watch his presentations long enough to hear it. 555

The worst option is to leave the computer plugged into the Internet which is also the option I suspect most home users still using Windows 7 are going to take. :-)  

I have an article from Computer Shopper on what to do if you plan to carry on using Windows 7.

I must scan and post it for some balance.

7 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

I have an article from Computer Shopper on what to do if you plan to carry on using Windows 7.

I must scan and post it for some balance.

Does that mean you are an advocate of leaving a computer that is not getting security / bug fixes on the Internet?

2 minutes ago, Garzan said:

Does that mean you are an advocate of leaving a computer that is not getting security / bug fixes on the Internet?

I will be using Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

Whether there will further updates or not .... lets see.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have no concern for anyone other than yourself and still plan to keep an outdated, insecure operating system connected to the internet and potentially (and intentionally) be an attack vector for all the rest of us, this video is not for you. :-) 

So, if you're okay with a watermark, and a couple of minimal restrictions to the desktop settings, no worries about shelling out even a satang. 

1 hour ago, Taa_Saparot said:

@Garzan what is your thoughts of carrying on using Windows 7 but as a "Standard Account" User?

My own biased opinion is that willfully continuing to connect an unpatched, and unpatchable system to the Internet is a poor practice. It does not matter what flavor of operating system, or what type of account the end user(s) logs into that system with. 

There are two issues. The unpatched and unpatchable system is open to attack if it is connected to the Internet. If that only affected that one system too bad so sad for the owner of that one system. The other issue though is that it does not just affect that one system. If an attack is successful, that one system can become a launching point to attack other systems. So, sucks for the owner of that one system, and sucks for all the other systems attacked via that system. 

I can understand having mission critical programs that only run on Windows 7. The best practice for that situation is to unplug the ethernet cable and continue on. What I don't quite grasp is why someone would want to knowingly and willingly place not only their own computer, but a multitude of other connected computers at risk. Is it being lazy, or stubborn, or reactionary? I just don't know. 

My beef isn't with Windows 7, or XP, or ME, or whatever. My "beef" is with continuing to run an unsupported OS on the Internet. Not connected to the Internet is no issue. Connected is. Especially when Windows 10 is essentially a free update, or any of the other linux based systems are free alternatives. 

On 12/12/2019 at 09:26, Garzan said:

This article from C/Net is less than a month old. (November 16, 2019)

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

With support for Windows 7 ending in January 2020, Microsoft is encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10 to keep devices running securely and smoothly. On Microsoft's website, the Windows 10 Home operating system costs $139 to download. However, you don't necessarily have to shell out the cash: A free upgrade offer from Microsoft that technically ended in 2016 still works. 

When Windows 10 was first released in July 2015, Microsoft offered an unprecedented free upgrade offer for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users, good through July 2016. But in 2017, Ed Bott from CNET's sister site ZDNet reported that the free upgrade tool was still functional. As of November 2019, readers still report that it works, Bott confirmed to CNET. I tried it out, and was able to upgrade a 2014 Dell OptiPlex 9020 desktop machine from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. 

Can you provide a technophobe with a link, I have searched but cannot find it "for free". The one you have given keeps directing to other downloads?

Edited by geezerrb
additional dialogue

7 hours ago, Garzan said:

My own biased opinion is that willfully continuing to connect an unpatched, and unpatchable system to the Internet is a poor practice. It does not matter what flavor of operating system, or what type of account the end user(s) logs into that system with. 

There are two issues. The unpatched and unpatchable system is open to attack if it is connected to the Internet. If that only affected that one system too bad so sad for the owner of that one system. The other issue though is that it does not just affect that one system. If an attack is successful, that one system can become a launching point to attack other systems. So, sucks for the owner of that one system, and sucks for all the other systems attacked via that system. 

I can understand having mission critical programs that only run on Windows 7. The best practice for that situation is to unplug the ethernet cable and continue on. What I don't quite grasp is why someone would want to knowingly and willingly place not only their own computer, but a multitude of other connected computers at risk. Is it being lazy, or stubborn, or reactionary? I just don't know. 

My beef isn't with Windows 7, or XP, or ME, or whatever. My "beef" is with continuing to run an unsupported OS on the Internet. Not connected to the Internet is no issue. Connected is. Especially when Windows 10 is essentially a free update, or any of the other linux based systems are free alternatives. 

5 hours ago, geezerrb said:

Can you provide a technophobe with a link, I have searched but cannot find it "for free". The one you have given keeps directing to other downloads?

I actually did find my way to the free download and being a "dinosaur" I hate the Windows 10, I remember now I had it on my laptop before but hated it so went back to 7.

It is bloody awful!

9 hours ago, Garzan said:

My own biased opinion is

I knew it was stupid of me to expect a reasonable answer ...

9 hours ago, Garzan said:

What I don't quite grasp is why someone would want to knowingly and willingly place not only their own computer, but a multitude of other connected computers at risk. Is it being lazy, or stubborn, or reactionary? I just don't know.  

I like Windows 7.

I have 2 laptops and a Netbook all running Windows 7 and I am fucked if I am upgrading (?) them.

I am sick of change for changes sake.

My Windows Update just started working again, after 3 years of failing, what happened during that time?

I still believe updates will be released or find their way onto the market.

I remain with Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taa_Saparot said:

I knew it was stupid of me to expect a reasonable answer ...

And here I thought I was using small words and simple phrases ...  :-)

1 hour ago, geezerrb said:

I actually did find my way to the free download and being a "dinosaur" I hate the Windows 10, I remember now I had it on my laptop before but hated it so went back to 7.

It is bloody awful!

I can understand that. Change is not easy, and for some, really not easy. I've been frustrated with Microsoft a lot myself over the years. They are renowned for doing massive shifts to the way the person at the keyboard interacts with the computer. I would not be at all surprised by people still using Windows XP (when I was teaching in Pattaya in 2012 the school was still using XP and it would not surprise me if they still were.)

Microsoft has said that there will not be any new versions of Windows beyond Windows 10, and that going forward there will only be incremental changes. I'm not sure I believe them, but it's nice to think so. It would mean no more future huge shifts, but that's not in keeping with Microsoft history. Can the old dog learn a kinder and gentler new trick? Only time will tell. 

Microsoft has spent a huge amount of time and energy telling people that support for Windows 7 is going to end for everyone except large business who will be paying an extra fee for continued support. You may or may not believe that--up to you. If they have been telling the truth for the last year about the end of consumer level support ending then I guess the silver lining would be not having to worry anymore about doing patches and updates (since they will no longer be offered). Of course the flip side of that will be that the broken bits (and there are always broken bits) will not get fixed. Any new holes discovered by 'hackers' will no longer get fixed. Only you can decide if staying with "comfortable" that is only going to get more broken with time is better than learning something new and "not comfortable" (for now). I know from my own experience that some of Microsoft's past big changes I hated at the time they were introduced but over the course of time having to use them I grew to appreciate their new way of doing things. It is of course, up to you. 

7 hours ago, geezerrb said:

I downloaded mine from this link ,

When you open link go to

Create Windows 10 installation media

than onto download tool now.

after that just follow the screen instuctions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Garzan said:

Don't answer the original question.

Then make it personal.

Nuff Said!

2 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Don't answer the original question.

Then make it personal.

Nuff Said!

I did my best to answer the original question but my best was not good enough. You've been more than clear that you will continue with Windows 7 on all your devices for the foreseeable future no matter what. That's your choice. I'm not going to change your mind into thinking that is a bad idea. You're not going to change my mind into thinking it's a good idea, so what is the point of discussing it? I actually do hope you are correct that Windows 7 patches will somehow make their way to the consumer channel. I don't believe it will come to pass, but I do hope you are correct. You will not be the only one continuing on with Windows 7 no matter what, and for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Garzan said:

Quoting myself for a moment, there is a degree of seriousness in this. When I was working and writing new procedures I'd work with the least technically literate person in the office. If I could write the procedure so that person could follow it and understand, then I'd written a good procedure. If they got lost or confused, it was a bad procedure and I needed to rewrite it. It's easy enough to get all technical when writing about technical topics, and "assume" a level of knowledge in your reader. That's a mistake. I really do try my best to use common wording and simple phrases when I write. I'm not always successful, but I do try. My belief is that if I fail to get across my point, it's not the failure of the reader, it's my failure in making my point understandable. Of course, there are always times when no amount of clarity will be enough to see, but that's life. Not all interactions are successes.  

Another opinion on options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geezerrb said:

It is bloody awful!

I also don't like the Win 10 UI, but there's an easy fix to that. Install Open Shell. This article gives a good overview of the app.

Get back the old classic Start menu on Windows 10 with Open Shell

2 hours ago, Garzan said:

You did, and you answered his question on your thoughts of continuing to use Win 7.

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I also don't like the Win 10 UI, but there's an easy fix to that. Install Open Shell. This article gives a good overview of the app.

Get back the old classic Start menu on Windows 10 with Open Shell

That is an excellent option, thank you for posting it. :-)

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I also don't like the Win 10 UI

In as much of a surprise to myself as anyone else (and definitely a shock to some former co-workers) I actually like the UI of Windows 10. I always had to learn and support whatever the current version of Windows desktop was while I was working, but at home and online I was somewhat rabidly anti-Microsoft. Even after moving here I was still linux only on my home desktops. I did have one licensed copy of Windows for dual boot for things that seemed to only work correctly in Windows, but I avoided Windows as much as possible. 

When Windows 10 came out, out of habit I upgraded my copy of Windows so I'd be somewhat familiar with whatever the current version of Windows was. Much to my surprise, I liked the UI. And truth be told, I liked not fighting with linux to make whichever Windows program I wanted to use that didn't have a linux alternative to work. At this moment I have five licensed copies of Windows 10 Pro running on the five home computers I take care of and no versions of linux anymore. I'm also seriously considering changing my Android tablet to a Microsoft Surface tablet and have Windows on the tablet too. In 2010 if anyone had suggested by 2020 I'd be essentially Windows 10 only I'd have thought they were smoking some of that whaky-tobaky. :-) 

• Like 2