IGNORED

Get ready for the tears, MS soon to pull the plug on Windows 7

Garzan

On 09/06/2019 at 11:23, Nakamoto said:

Get a Mac, problem solved :D

Get Linux.  Problem solved and money saved.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, superdaws said:

Get Linux.  Problem solved and money saved.

I'm headed that route myself after far too many attempts to make friends with Window 10. Even if you try to like it, it doesn't like you that much and sees you as a source of marketing data (IMO). If it played somewhat nicely in multiboot mode I'd consider it but it does not. Win 7 and 2016 server does, so those are my Windows choices going forward if I need that. 

MS is still pushing patches to the xp family so the hysteria of "OMG, there will be NO PATCHES!" scenario will most likely be untrue for Win 7 as well. Does one think MS will abandon a huge number of unpatchable Win7 computers ready to be compromised and cause them bad press? Duhhh. :Oops1:

"Oh the humanity!"

"Microsoft has already given users of older Windows versions some not-so-subtle hints that it's time to move on. Now, it's giving them more of a push by removing things dear to their hearts: their board and card games. The software giant is shutting down several Internet Games for people using Windows 7 and earlier, including Backgammon, Checkers, Hearts, Reversi, Spades and MSN Go. Just when you'll lose access will depend on your version of Windows."

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/14/microsoft-shuts-down-internet-games/

4 hours ago, Garzan said:

"Oh the humanity!"

"Microsoft has already given users of older Windows versions some not-so-subtle hints that it's time to move on.

What were they?

1 minute ago, Taa_Saparot said:

What were they?

Without spoon feeding, a clickable link was provided inside the quote. :-)

1 minute ago, Garzan said:

Without spoon feeding, a clickable link was provided inside the quote. :-)

Like ...

Before you continue...
Engadget is now part of the Oath family. We (Oath) and our partners need your consent to access your device, set cookies, and use your data, including your location, to understand your interests, provide relevant ads and measure their effectiveness. Oath will also provide relevant ads to you on our partners' products. Learn More

Select 'OK' to allow Oath and our partners to use your data, or 'Manage options' to review our partners and your choices. Tip: Sign In to save these choices and avoid repeating this across devices. You can always update your preferences in the Privacy Centre.

I Will not be changing Windows 7 until I am forced to.....Same as Windows XP....I only just ungraded to Windows 7 from XP about 2 years ago...

• Like 2

Doesn't ubuntu have a lot of proprietary shit included or required for lots of hardware? Idk. Haven't used anything debian based for a number of years personally.  I update my parents laptop regularly that has ubuntu on there, they only use it for a browser so it's fine.

I agree it's probably a better thing to have than windows, unless you need windows, for whatever reason. And it's great for someone getting into 'free' software.. But you have a choice of distro, I would look elsewhere tbh.  

• Like 1

Windows 10 has far too many issues concerning privacy. Unable to use it as a main OS. Win7 will have many years to come after the date msoft have given, only when the SDK and app developers move on will it really die.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wes12 said:

Windows 10 has far too many issues concerning privacy. Unable to use it as a main OS. Win7 will have many years to come after the date msoft have given, only when the SDK and app developers move on will it really die.

Go into the Settings and disable access to whatever you choose and then; https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/.

If you think Windows 7 is any better, you are mistaken.

https://www.howtogeek.com/428265/windows-7s-july-2019-security-patch-includes-telemetry/

Windows 10 will allow you to block programs from using your camera or microphone etc, how would you do the same with Windows 7?

So keep an open mind.

3 hours ago, NotASexTorist said:

Go into the Settings and disable access to whatever you choose:   https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/.

If you think Windows 7 is any better, you are mistaken. Windows 10 will allow you to block programs from using your camera or microphone etc, how would you do the same with Windows 7?

https://www.howtogeek.com/428265/windows-7s-july-2019-security-patch-includes-telemetry/

Instead of a single byte for byte clone of my OS, I will start taking 2 OS drive clones every month or so.  I plan on using Windows 7 until it literally does not work anymore.

8 hours ago, Glen Alvis said:

Instead of a single byte for byte clone of my OS, I will start taking 2 OS drive clones every month or so.  I plan on using Windows 7 until it literally does not work anymore.

About a month ago i shutdown a NT4 machine that had been running 24/7 for the last 20+ years

No it wasnt on any public net and no it didnt contain any critical data at the end.

So you have probably a couple of years left in your machine/instalation

@NotASexTorist i solve the camera problem the same way i have always done. Tape!

Just becasue you have an option in windows to turn it of dosent mean that bad software will follow it. 

Edited by cyfruil

/Mike

7 hours ago, cyfruil said:

About a month ago i shutdown a NT4 machine that had been running 24/7 for the last 20+ years

No it wasnt on any public net and no it didnt contain any critical data at the end.

So you have probably a couple of years left in your machine/instalation

@NotASexTorist i solve the camera problem the same way i have always done. Tape!

Just becasue you have an option in windows to turn it of dosent mean that bad software will follow it. 

That is exactly my point. Do they think that Windows 7 is any better in that respect, wherein you don't even have that option?

Whichever you choose, you need to protect yourself best you can. My webcam has a cover.

Hanging on to Windows 7 doesn't make them any more safe. So best to get a measure of the enemy, as opposed to running scared.

On 15/07/2019 at 00:26, fforest said:

I Will not be changing Windows 7 until I am forced to.....Same as Windows XP....I only just ungraded to Windows 7 from XP about 2 years ago...

Same here. My old Acer laptop I've had for eight years now is almost bulletproof, has outlasted its battery and now I only run on AC current as it's not even worth the cost of buying a new battery for. I never found a need to upgrade it to Windows 10 and now it's so old it's not worth sinking a single penny into. All I've ever used it for is internet stuff and some minor document use etc. Occasional watching of a movie on it and some limited use with things like LINE and Skype. I even hauled it around with me when I was working overseas and it survived being banged around in carry-on backpacks. When it finally craps out I'll just get another one that I'm sure will last me another ten years. 

Mr Majestyk, my IBM ThinkPad is probably the only one left !! The battery packed up years ago, so only electric for me too. I really only use it for some budget spreadsheets, but the processor is pretty quick when on the internet, certainly better than my 7 year old IPad2. I did lash out and bought a huawei Y9 tho and love it, especially the camera. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Majestyk said:

Same here. My old Acer laptop I've had for eight years now is almost bulletproof, has outlasted its battery and now I only run on AC current as it's not even worth the cost of buying a new battery for. I never found a need to upgrade it to Windows 10 and now it's so old it's not worth sinking a single penny into. All I've ever used it for is internet stuff and some minor document use etc. Occasional watching of a movie on it and some limited use with things like LINE and Skype. I even hauled it around with me when I was working overseas and it survived being banged around in carry-on backpacks. When it finally craps out I'll just get another one that I'm sure will last me another ten years. 

I have an ACER laptop that is more than twelve years old. Eight years old is nothing. Original battery still within.

The difference is that mine is running Windows 10 Pro with 4 GB of RAM and a solid state drive. £6 on the RAM and £17 on the SSD.

It's not a badge of honour to not get the best out of your old equipment. I can understand if it is no longer mechanically sound. But if it is sound, you are doing yourself a disservice, subjecting yourself to dire performance for the sake of a few baht.

Instead of waiting for minutes for it to settle down before you can do some work, a modest investment will have it fully loaded and ready for use in under thirty seconds. Shutting down in half that time or less.

Battery likely no more than £11 via eBay. SSD £17. If you think it isn't worth spending that on a device that has given you service for eight years..

Don't bank on a new laptop lasting you ten years, unless you buy a second hand business quality device.

3 hours ago, NotASexTorist said:

I have an ACER laptop that is more than twelve years old. Eight years old is nothing. Original battery still within.

The difference is that mine is running Windows 10 Pro with 4 GB of RAM and a solid state drive. £6 on the RAM and £17 on the SSD.

It's not a badge of honour to not get the best out of your old equipment. I can understand if it is no longer mechanically sound. But if it is sound, you are doing yourself a disservice, subjecting yourself to dire performance for the sake of a few baht.

Instead of waiting for minutes for it to settle down before you can do some work, a modest investment will have it fully loaded and ready for use in under thirty seconds. Shutting down in half that time or less.

Battery likely no more than £11 via eBay. SSD £17. If you think it isn't worth spending that on a device that has given you service for eight years..

Don't bank on a new laptop lasting you ten years, unless you buy a second hand business quality device.

I just bought a new battery for an asus laptop. It was only £10 on ebay. Never realised they were so cheap.

My work laptop uses ssd and these are great. Next gen games consoles will be using them too, apparently. They are a revelation compared to spinny disk drives.

Edited by taylor1975

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

I just bought a new battery for an asus laptop. It was only £10 on ebay. Never realised they were so cheap.

My work laptop uses ssd and these are great. Next gen games consoles will be using them too, apparently. They are a revelation compared to spinny disk drives.

Think about popping an SSD into your ASUS, if it still uses an old electro magnetic drive.

Apart from improving the performance, it makes the thing more robust, as you don't have to be nervous of damaging the hard drive whilst moving it around whilst in use.

On 15/07/2019 at 01:47, Fart sniffer said:

Doesn't ubuntu have a lot of proprietary shit included or required for lots of hardware? Idk. Haven't used anything debian based for a number of years personally.  I update my parents laptop regularly that has ubuntu on there, they only use it for a browser so it's fine.

I agree it's probably a better thing to have than windows, unless you need windows, for whatever reason. And it's great for someone getting into 'free' software.. But you have a choice of distro, I would look elsewhere tbh.  

I haven't noticed that with ubuntu.  The only thing I ran into was needing to install some additional libraries but either the distro will already have them or you'll need to add them.  The weren't proprietary to run the os, I needed them to run programs that I chose to install.  It does have some handy programs that you can install but there isn't anything that you are required to run aside from the kernel itself, but if you removed enough stuff you better be ready to just use the terminal and I don't think most people are looking for that sort of experience.

But the nice thing about linux is if you don't like one distro you can change it as often as you like and it costs you nothing but time setting up the new distro.

If you need Windows but want to switch I think you can just use WINE to run the windows programs you need but I haven't played around with that yet.

5 minutes ago, superdaws said:

haven't noticed that with ubuntu

Don't know about recent years but they started bundling proprietary driver shit in with the iso many years ago, it's why I moved away from it.  Debian based in general I wouldn't use unless I needed to.  Wine is shit just use windows if you need it.

2 hours ago, superdaws said:

If you need Windows but want to switch I think you can just use WINE to run the windows programs you need but I haven't played around with that yet.

While all this Linux talk is somewhat off topic in a Windows end of official support thread, if I was looking to run Windows programs in a Linux environment I'd just go ahead and install Crossover. Sure, you could futz around with Wine but if you want minimal futzing, Crossover is a good solution.

And to try to keep things at least minimally on topic, Crossover could possibly be a good alternative to people who have antique applications, or hardware, that need something like Windows 7 to run. :-) 

With WINE, Crossover or anything of that ilk, I would only use it if the programs I was trying to run were officially supported.  I tried playing around with these not-emulators last year and my impression is that they are focused largely on games.  I tried to use some of my productivity programs under them and was utterly disappointed at how bad it was.  If I switched to Linux as my primary OS I would still have to run Windows in a VM to do certain things.

Gray-market Windows 10 Pro licenses can be purchased on eBay and elsewhere for less than USD $10.  Much of the worrisome privacy-leaking features of Win 10 can be turned off in options or further mitigated with 3rd party anti-telemetry programs.  Staying with any previous version of Windows seems like a silly idea to me personally for a whole host of reasons that have been already mentioned.  I do agree that the intrusiveness of Windows is getting worse, and I predict the day will come when even I can't accept it anymore.  But not today.

If I had a 10 year-old PC I would probably run Puppy Linux or similar on it.

People who complain about the intrusiveness and telemetry in Windows 10 are funny because most of them are being anally raped by Google on a daily basis and they love every minute of it.  They do everything in Chrome while logged in to their Google account and sign-on to everything else with Google (if not Facebook as well). 

Windows Updates are bad?  Yes they are, but I have been broken by Linux updates countless times.  So have the guys who go around recommending "Linux for All", but they never seem to mention it.

Macs are better in almost every regard, but I am a freethinking individual that doesn't want to voluntarily join a closed-walled religious cult.  If I did, I'd just become a Scientologist.

You people are all the same.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, LarryDarrell said:

People who complain about the intrusiveness and telemetry in Windows 10 are funny because most of them are being anally raped by Google on a daily basis and they love every minute of it.  They do everything in Chrome while logged in to their Google account and sign-on to everything else with Google (if not Facebook as well). 

Windows Updates are bad?  Yes they are, but I have been broken by Linux updates countless times.  So have the guys who go around recommending "Linux for All", but they never seem to mention it.

Macs are better in almost every regard, but I am a freethinking individual that doesn't want to voluntarily join a closed-walled religious cult.  If I did, I'd just become a Scientologist.

You people are all the same.

I've used Ubuntu for a main computer for around ten years and never had an install break. I currently own 2 computers running ubuntu and one Mac. Mac os/x is just a linux build anyway. Neither of my ubuntu machines, a dell laptop and a generic desktop are looking for any proprietary drivers but then I am not using a gaming card.

I also use firefox with a container extension to stop it phoning home so much. I also never use facebook or google logins for any third party websites unless I really need to like youtube..It's not perfect but it does slow down the info stream.

Your argument is essentially that Google "rapes" you anyway so why is Windows so bad? I can't see why I'd ever go back to Windows.

15 hours ago, Garzan said:

While all this Linux talk is somewhat off topic in a Windows end of official support thread, if I was looking to run Windows programs in a Linux environment I'd just go ahead and install Crossover. Sure, you could futz around with Wine but if you want minimal futzing, Crossover is a good solution.

And to try to keep things at least minimally on topic, Crossover could possibly be a good alternative to people who have antique applications, or hardware, that need something like Windows 7 to run. :-) 

No point in that at all, whilst one can dual boot for free.