IGNORED

Get ready for the tears, MS soon to pull the plug on Windows 7

Garzan

5 hours ago, Garzan said:

Okay, moving the goal posts to application software, how many linux applications come with application install media? They typically don't, you down load them from the application providers website

--which happens to be the same way I get application installation files for my Windows applications. Even if there is a Windows application disk in the hardware package, for me, I down load a fresh, current copy from whatever hardware vendor. 

Now, nudging back toward the topic of Windows 7 support ending, ~my~ copy of W7 Ultimate came in a box, with a printed card showing the license key, which I immediately copied into my password keeping application database. If someone happens not to keep license keys to paid software backed up to a safe place, that's their own problem. :-) Hopefully, not keeping track of paid software keys is a mistake that only happens once. I know once was enough for me.

As I recall, at work, I'd get a Sharpie and write the license key on whatever CD or DVD the software came on. Work software needed a method that did not depend on me still working there, and a Sharpie on the disk is pretty universally accessible. The disks then went in a file cabinet in a disk case. 

I never moved the goal posts, I always mentioned software install media, not operating system install media.

I suspect that very few people indeed still have the box their Windows 7 came on. Furthermore, most Windows 7 installs (> 99%) were OEM installs on the computers they bought and were not supplied with a box and media. They probably had a sticker or a piece of paper with their key on it if they were lucky. Most People didn't buy Windows Ultimate.

You are a techie and have a password database. Very few people do. Out of about 2 dozen staff I support, maybe 3 used password databases previously. Yes, it is their problem if they didn't keep their license keys in a safe place, I'm only suggesting that most didn't, this is the real world. The average person has moved house 3 or 4 times since they bought a machine with Windows 7.

Windows 7 and 10 cost money. As does most of the software for them. That's not the case for Ubuntu, another reason to use Ubuntu for old machines. Some people need Windows only software for work, like Adobe Photoshop or AutoCAD maybe. These are not the kind of people looking to hang on to an old machine just because it still works. The vast majority of people only use a browser or maybe office software and so would be just fine on a free o/s and software.

On the subject of passwords, I highly recommend people do get one. A good free one is Keepassxc. https://keepassxc.org

7 hours ago, Kahoy said:

What about the other software? By install media, I mean those old win 7 apps which were distributed on cd and need to be reinstalled,  not windows itself

Who still has their license key from Windows 7 handy? 

If you worked in IT, you would know about Belarc Advisor; https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ and any or all of the similar products out there.

Why would you need the Windows 7 licence key anyway if moving to Windows 10? They could use gatherosstate.exe to migrate the activation.

How can anyone take you seriously when you come out with these kinds of statement?

Edited by NotASexTorist

58 minutes ago, Kahoy said:

I never moved the goal posts, I always mentioned software install media, not operating system install media.

I suspect that very few people indeed still have the box their Windows 7 came on. Furthermore, most Windows 7 installs (> 99%) were OEM installs on the computers they bought and were not supplied with a box and media. They probably had a sticker or a piece of paper with their key on it if they were lucky. Most People didn't buy Windows Ultimate.

You are a techie and have a password database. Very few people do. Out of about 2 dozen staff I support, maybe 3 used password databases previously. Yes, it is their problem if they didn't keep their license keys in a safe place, I'm only suggesting that most didn't, this is the real world. The average person has moved house 3 or 4 times since they bought a machine with Windows 7.

Windows 7 and 10 cost money. As does most of the software for them. That's not the case for Ubuntu, another reason to use Ubuntu for old machines. Some people need Windows only software for work, like Adobe Photoshop or AutoCAD maybe. These are not the kind of people looking to hang on to an old machine just because it still works. The vast majority of people only use a browser or maybe office software and so would be just fine on a free o/s and software.

On the subject of passwords, I highly recommend people do get one. A good free one is Keepassxc. https://keepassxc.org

You don't need the key for a Royalty OEM install as they use a single key for all the installs and you don't need it for a Retail or self installed OEM install(as you can utilise the gatherosstate method.

I don't know why you are mentioning that they cost money if they already have Windows 7 and it's free to move to Windows 10.

You really appear to be clutching at straws here and desperate to push Ubuntu. It would be one thing if you were talking to people with no OS on their devices. But these are people who already have Windows 7 and can move to Windows 10 for nothing.

In addition, they can have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu. No need to spread your negative vibes everywhere.

Just give balanced info and allow people to decide for themselves. Otherwise you lose credibility. Your arguments are already doing that in any case.

Almost all of the Techs I know have old machines that they have upgraded themselves. Otherwise what's the point of being a Tech? :D

In fact I am posting from I laptop I bought in 2009. Now with Windows 10 Pro, 4GB of RAM and Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD. I don't need more.

Sold with Windows Vista, 3GB of RAM and a 320GB HDD. Didn't cost anything to move to Windows 7 and nothing to move to Windows 10.

It's different for corporations. But for the average. consumer, it's a piece of cake.

5 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

I installed a program called winaero tweaker on windows 10 pro, to stop installing and checking for updates.

Waste of time, since you can defer updates within the GUI anyway. That is only useful with Windows 10 Home.

1 hour ago, NotASexTorist said:

Waste of time, since you can defer updates within the GUI anyway. That is only useful with Windows 10 Home.

This article seems to say you can defer for a few months but not forever. I also don't want it to check fir updates either....

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/stop-windows-10-installing-updates-3626701/

2 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

This article seems to say you can defer for a few months but not forever. I also don't want it to check fir updates either....

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/stop-windows-10-installing-updates-3626701/

From your article; Windows 10 Home users can’t defer updates like Pro users, but no-one can put them off forever, and nor should they. Plenty contain important security patches and bug fixes.

So it is counter productive to stop all updates. Every OS and program needs to be updated. The thing you want to defer is the bi-annual Feature Updates, not the Security Updates.

7 hours ago, Kahoy said:

The topic of this thread, that I started, is about the end of life for the Windows 7 operating system. "Moving the goal posts", "veering off topic", or however you feel comfortable phrasing it, the majority of what you're writing about seems to have little to do with the end of life for the Microsoft Windows 7 Operating System. :-)

• Like 1

Get any Ubuntu LTS (long term support). They usual keep updating for 5 years and it's free to download. No need for all the virus protection software required for Micro$oft. Very helpful online community if you run into any problems.

13 hours ago, NotASexTorist said:

From your article; Windows 10 Home users can’t defer updates like Pro users, but no-one can put them off forever, and nor should they. Plenty contain important security patches and bug fixes.

So it is counter productive to stop all updates. Every OS and program needs to be updated. The thing you want to defer is the bi-annual Feature Updates, not the Security Updates.

Further down the page...

"Windows 10 Professional Edition: Defer upgrades

While Home users are stuck with having to work around automatic updates, Professional users have a built-in option that allows them to defer updates for several months. The best part of this option is that security patches are still applied, it’s just system updates that are held back."

On 03/02/2019 at 12:47, taylor1975 said:

Further down the page...

While Home users are stuck with having to work around automatic updates, Professional users have a built-in option that allows them to defer updates for several months. The best part of this option is that security patches are still applied, it’s just system updates that are held back."

This option is coming for all users in the next upgrade.

On 03/02/2019 at 12:47, taylor1975 said:

Further down the page...

You don't want Security Patches?? For what reason would you not want to be more secure?

On 04/02/2019 at 23:08, Taa_Saparot said:

This option is coming for all users in the next upgrade.

Not really. Just seven days for Windows 10 Home.

16 minutes ago, BrainDrain said:

You don't want Security Patches?? For what reason would you not want to be more secure?

The text that you quoted said that he DOES want security patches.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

2 minutes ago, ocka said:

The text that you quoted said that he DOES want security patches.

Follow the thread;

I also don't want it to check fir updates either....

9 hours ago, BrainDrain said:

Its secure enough as its used only for intranet connectivity. 

• 1 month later...

On 16/01/2019 at 07:46, Garzan said:

Several reasons why that is a bad idea, but of course, it's totally your choice. :-)

Are you kidding windows operating systems keep working for a  loooong after they are not supported....Hell I just upgraded to windows 7 from XP only a year ago....The only reason I upgraded was because the number of web sites that were problematic had risen from a few to a few to many...... XP support ended in 2010 and extended support ended in 2014 .......I kept using XP till 2018...So I will be looking to upgrade windows 7 in 2028 some time......

5 hours ago, fforest said:

Hell I just upgraded to windows 7 from XP only a year ago.

I noticed that Microsoft continued to send security patches for XP long after support had officially "ended."

I think it was 2017 before I upgraded (From XP direct to Windows 10.)

5 hours ago, fforest said:

Are you kidding windows operating systems keep working for a  loooong after they are not supported....Hell I just upgraded to windows 7 from XP only a year ago....The only reason I upgraded was because the number of web sites that were problematic had risen from a few to a few to many...... XP support ended in 2010 and extended support ended in 2014 .......I kept using XP till 2018...So I will be looking to upgrade windows 7 in 2028 some time......

+1 I eventually had same issue with XP so moved to Win 7 a year or so ago. I will stick with Win 7 until similar issues arise, suspect will be quite a long time.

I don't need any new program or features for what I use my PC for so don't forsee any major issues. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I hear of too many issues with Win 10, never ever had an issue with Win 7.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ocka said:

I noticed that Microsoft continued to send security patches for XP long after support had officially "ended."

I think it was 2017 before I upgraded (From XP direct to Windows 10.)

They will continue to update Windows 7 after it ends, but only for businesses.

Will those updates find their way to personal users as well ?

2 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Will those updates find their way to personal users as well ?

I have no idea,  but the security updates certainly did for Windows XP.