IGNORED

10PM Update: Soccer Team still trapped in flooded cave, search suspended due to rising waters, believed still alive

The Pattaya News

1 minute ago, javasumatra said:

I'd like to see the British divers given a tap on the shoulder but I doubt it will happen.

You noticed that too?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DhygjxcXUAENa_4.jpg

An incredibly touching illustration for the rescued Thai boys soccer team, their coach, and the brave rescuer - Saman Guman - who lost his life in this effort.  #Hero #Humanity #ThaiCaveRescue

Also a thought for the Australian diver-doctor who lost his father today  :sad: . At least he died very proud of his son...

I for one would like to see this thread pinned for future reference, it brings a reality to the forum of whats really important in life.

5 hours ago, javasumatra said:

I'd like to see the eligible divers given a tap on the shoulder but I doubt it will happen.

5 hours ago, Kahoy said:

You noticed that too?

A tap on the shoulder maybe not exactly, but during these last 3 rescue-days the Thai TV showed all the Cave divers being warmly applauded by all people while exiting the Cave and going to their building.  :Clap1:

Also officials - and mainly the ex-Governor - didn't miss an opportunity to thanks them for their courage and their work. :)

Edit: One of the very few pic I found about that:

DhqUkdgUwAAqnIE.jpg

26 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

A tap on the shoulder maybe not exactly, but during these last 3 rescue-days the Thai TV showed all the cave divers being warmly applauded by all people while exiting the cave and going to their building.  :Clap1:

Also officials - and mainly the ex-Governor - didn't miss an opportunity to thanks them for their courage and their work. :)

One of the very few pic I found about that:

DhqUkdgUwAAqnIE.jpg

Yes, we need to keep the knighthoods for the likes of Nick Clegg.

#happiness +1

c1_1501502_620x413.jpg
Students celebrate in front of Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital, where the 12 football players and their coach rescued from the Tham Luang Cave complex are being treated, in Chiang Rai on Wednesday. (Reuters photo)

Source: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1501502/all-those-rescued-from-tham-luang-cave-in-good-condition

20 hours ago, Oukiva said:

There are plenty of good photos and video there. Thanks.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

6 hours ago, Doubleh said:

I for one would like to see this thread pinned for future reference, it brings a reality to the forum of whats really important in life.

at the very least it should go in the threads of distinction.

Thai Cave rescue: water pumps failed just after last boy escaped

In the first detailed account of the mission to be published, rescuers say they heard screaming and a scramble for dry ground

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/11/thailand-cave-rescue-water-pumps-failed-just-after-last-boy-escaped

Exit of last divers (foreign & SEALs) after the 13 boys have been rescued :

Just noticed that I forgot to post this photo from the Thai NavySEAL facebook:

Taken just before they go down to rescue the first 4 boys,

it's a nice proof of the #solidarity between divers and people working at this rescue. :)

Rescue-efforts-continue-for-missing-memb

Thai NavySEAL published another video on FB.  :)

I think it show parts of the rescue of the boys, but I hope we will have a version with comments/explanations later... Still an interesting one though. :wink:

Edit: The video disappeared from Facebook :sad: 

Edit: See post #419 below for the Video again :) and an article that explains a lot of things in it .

Edit: A video reappeared on FB, but truncated of about 1'30". (Sequences with SEALs face or boys face)

36975132_1647692418687484_61134987459643

3 hours ago, Bobmoore said:

DhyRd3LVAAE_vpg.jpg

And yet more unsung heroes (am sure a lot of whom can't really afford the loss).

Well done guys :) 

Interesting article (IMHO) with details I didn't read before.

This explains a lot of things of the video just above (post  #417) :)

khaosodenglish.com: US rescuer details unprecedented cave mission

AP18192221422717-696x464.jpg

(A few details there, but worth read the full article !)

The boys saved from a flooded Cave endured dives in zero visibility lasting up to half an hour and in places were put in a harness and high-lined across rocky caverns

What was really important was the coach and the boys all came together and discussed staying strong, having the will to live, having the will to survive

The Cave was dry when we arrived, and within an hour and half it had already filled up by 2 to 3 feet and we were being pushed out. That was just in the very beginning of the Cave and at that point we realized this problem is going to be much more complex than we thought,

Divers practiced their rescue techniques in a swimming pool with local children about the same height and weight as the members of the Wild Boars soccer team trapped in the Cave.

The aim was to make each of the boys “tightly packaged” so divers could keep control of them and adjust their air supply as needed. The process lasted hours for each boy, and involved them getting through long passageways barely bigger than an adult body.

Dh08QY5VQAA9MdN.jpg

The positive pressure masks were “really crucial”. Their use meant that even if a boy panicked – perhaps because of getting snagged in a narrow passage – and got water inside his mask, the pressure would expel it.

There were about a hundred people inside the Cave for each rescue operation and each boy was handled by dozens of people as their perilous movement through a total of nine chambers unfolded.

“The world just needs to know that what was accomplished was a once in a lifetime rescue that I think has never been done before. We were extremely fortunate that the outcome was the way it was. It’s important to realize how complex and how many pieces of this puzzle had to come together.”

I am now even more impressed by the work that they had to do ! :o:Clap1:

After the news that the mission had been accomplished I thought I had finished blubbing but, erm well, each time more details emerge another tear appears.

While they are unable to attend the World Cup Final, at FIFA's invitation, the boys are being offered opportunities to attend games next season, most notably by ManU.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44784745

This threatens a very uncomfortable "oh, shit" moment on the horizon, as the NYT reports that 3 of the boys and their coach are ethnic minority refugees who are stateless and without identities .. which means no passports .. which means they cannot travel .. which means attention is certain to be drawn to Thailand's stubborn resistance to ratifying the UN convention on refugee rights.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/world/asia/thailand-cave-soccer-stateless.html

Imagine how that might be portrayed in globally released films that are sure to follow.

The law of unintended consequences. 

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

I think the Australian doctor should  never have to apply for a visa, no matter how long he stays.

Funny: :P

The picture of the "body packaged" that I posted in post #419 yesterday is a picture that I extracted myself from the ThaiSEAL FB video, to post it on this forum and on Twitter.

Dh08QY5VQAA9MdN.jpg

This pic as been liked and retweeded more than one hundred times on Twitter and quickly found its way to Facebook too, and today it appears on the front page of several newspapers and more than 10 news websites ! :rolleyes:

Dh26DOQVQAEtFD8.jpg

+

Dh26DSIV4AAb29t.jpg

+

Dh38BbwX4AEGCDH.jpg

Looks like I choose the good pic from the video... :P

There's a couple of (pretty minor) points I was wondering about addressed in this BBC article -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44799779

"It is to Thailand's credit that it was organised so well, and there was no attempt to diminish the foreign contribution."

"Many Thai businesses supported with transport and food. Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways offered free flights to some of the foreign divers coming in."

Archived