Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist sim. What alternatives we have?

pangetongoy

11 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

*934*30# or *934*90# or *934*180# for 30, 90 & 180 days respectively.

2 , 6 or 12 baht. Prices may be subject to V.A.T. But don't depend on it working with a new SIM. It might.

Oh...you've just posted them. :rolleyes:

I don't use Truemove H.

Id love to hear alternate suggestions on your experience mate 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tez4life said:

Id love to hear alternate suggestions on your experience mate 

I use AIS because they are better suited to my usage. But if Truemove H fits in with your usage and works there's no need to change.

52.43 baht for 2 or 4GB(dependent on current promo) a week is good.

As mentioned, I always use my Singapore SIM as I can get unlimited roaming at 4G speeds for s$40 (approx 1,000 THB) per month almost anywhere on the planet (one notable exception was Vietnam).

However this trip (wheels up tomorrow) I plan on opening a Bank Account so want a local SIM for mobile/internet banking (SMS/phone calls only, will still use data roaming on my SG SIM).what are the best ways of keeping your SIM "Active" between trips?

26 minutes ago, JB300 said:

As mentioned, I always use my Singapore SIM as I can get unlimited roaming at 4G speeds for s$40 (approx 1,000 THB) per month almost anywhere on the planet (one notable exception was Vietnam).

However this trip (wheels up tomorrow) I plan on opening a Bank Account so want a local SIM for mobile/internet banking (SMS/phone calls only, will still use data roaming on my SG SIM).what are the best ways of keeping your SIM "Active" between trips?

There are little machines outside 7/11 etc that allow you to add tiny bits of credit that extend your sim validity by a  month. I think you can put ten baht credit on and they charge two baht for the service. So for 72 baht you have extended your sim validity by six months and have 60 baht of call credit.

20 hours ago, GreatThings said:

Are you V.A.T exempt?

212.93 divided by 7, multiplied by 30(days) is 912.55 baht.

First off, who here needs 10 Mbps?

Most are looking at 1 Mbps (321 baht) 4 Mbps (481.5 baht) 6 Mbps (588.5 baht).

In addition to this, six month term packages offer a per month price of, for 1 Mbps (107 baht baht), 4 Mbps (249.67 baht), 6 Mbps (321 baht).

912.55 baht for 30 days of 10 Mbps doesn't look good.

I have included vat in the pricing... who needs 10 megs?  I do lol... I can stream movies and effectively hotspot... not possible with a sloppy 5 or below... by the way this is somewhat of a revolutionary plan... try and find anyone else offering real unlimited gigs at a high speed...

On 5/13/2018 at 10:56, GreatThings said:

I recommend 6 Mbps to those with TrueMove H, as the price differential is smaller. Just over 50 baht per month.

so for an additional 10 bucks us you can almost double your speed and have the option of using the internet to refill not the pain in the ass ais refill since they were dumped by 711... for 10 bucks give me the dtac...

2 hours ago, gimmesum said:

I have included vat in the pricing... who needs 10 megs?  I do lol... I can stream movies and effectively hotspot... not possible with a sloppy 5 or below... by the way this is somewhat of a revolutionary plan... try and find anyone else offering real unlimited gigs at a high speed...

If you have included V.A.T in your calculation, then it's time to go back to school. :wink:

It is 912.55 baht (US$28.55) Plus you are burdened with having to renew every week. Inevitably they catch you out, as the packages often finish at midnight.

AIS 6 Mbps doesn't cut the package off at midnight, but at the same time as you began the package. 588.50 baht (US$18.35)

Plus no need to renew at midnight once a week.

I refill my AIS SIM using the 10 baht machines. 

I think that you are somewhat behind the times in imagining that it is revolutionary.

In fact I used DTAC 10 Mbps weekly offer when they offered double speeds, so I got 20 Mbps for 212.93 baht per seven days.

Up until the 30th of April Truemove H offered 10 Mbps for the price of their 6 Mbps plan, so 588.5 baht per 30 days.

Yes, I can stream and surf at the same time using my HotSpot and a 6 Mbps connection.

Both TrueMove H and AIS offer unlimited 'up to 300 Mbps' for 1605 baht per 30 days.

It's been posted before. You aren't paying attention.

17 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

Both TrueMove H and AIS offer unlimited 'up to 300 Mbps' for 1605 baht per 30 days.

It's been posted before. You aren't paying attention.

no need to be insulting... what don't you get?  the dtac is approx 200 per week plus VAT... let the users decide... 

22 minutes ago, gimmesum said:

no need to be insulting... what don't you get?  the dtac is approx 200 per week plus VAT... let the users decide... 

Insulting?

You wrote;

try and find anyone else offering real unlimited gigs at a high speed...

and I pointed out to you that the truly unlimited package info had already been posted.

199 + 7% V.A.T. equals 212.93 baht. 

If a 30 day month, that equals 912.55 baht.

No one is insulting you. you are just not paying proper attention and therefore repeating the same mistakes.

On 16/05/2018 at 06:30, JB300 said:

The simplest way of doing this is to have some credit on your account, and then just dial the special code that extends your validity for periods of 30/60/180/etc days. Depending on which supplier you go with it usually costs 2B or 3B per 30 days, though AIS charge a lot more and some suppliers dont seem to do it at all.

You can certainly do this with True for up to 360 days, though they have a funny rule about the SIM having to be at least 3 months old before you can do it.

I do this every 6 months with my True SIM as I rarely make outgoing calls. And of course you can do it without leaving the comfort of your armchair, and no messing about with machines.

Not sure whether those codes work when roaming abroad though, and that would surely depend on which supplier you have, but if you have a Thai bank account and Thai online banking then you should be able to make a small top-up to your phone account by logging in from abroad, and that should extend your validity by x days.

http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The simplest way of doing this is to have some credit on your account, and then just dial the special code that extends your validity for periods of 30/60/180/etc days. Depending on which supplier you go with it usually costs 2B or 3B per 30 days, though AIS charge a lot more and some suppliers dont seem to do it at all.

You can certainly do this with True for up to 365 days, though they have a funny rule about the SIM having to be at least 3 months old before you can do it.

I do this every 6 months with my True SIM as I rarely make outgoing calls. And of course you can do it without leaving the comfort of your armchair, and no messing about with machines.

Not sure whether those codes work when roaming abroad though, and that would surely depend on which supplier you have, but if you have a Thai bank account and Thai online banking then you should be able to make a small top-up to your phone account by logging in from abroad, and that should extend your validity by x days.

http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/

Pertinent info for tez4life.

DTAC's proviso is 90 days since registering the SIM or having spent at least 200 baht of credit on it.

26 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

Pertinent info for tez4life.

DTAC's proviso is 90 days since registering the SIM or having spent at least 200 baht of credit on it.

Good point mate. Its cool ill get the 49b sim top up 200 to cover 2 weeks of packages and give extending it a go right away. Failing that i think you can just extend validity online so if i can run it on to 3 months i might be able to extend from home.

3 hours ago, tez4life said:

Good point mate. Its cool ill get the 49b sim top up 200 to cover 2 weeks of packages and give extending it a go right away. Failing that i think you can just extend validity online so if i can run it on to 3 months i might be able to extend from home.

Just turn on International Roaming before you leave Thailand. Turn off data roaming on your phone so you don't use any credit inadvertently. The code should work as long as you have GSM coverage.

I refill my AIS SIM using the 10 baht machines. 

I just bought a couple as an experiment, the max expiry is 1 year on i presume? First one moved it on a month to May19, next one didn't move the date

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just bought a couple as an experiment, the max expiry is 1 year on i presume? First one moved it on a month to May19, next one didn't move the date

Confused.

Bought a couple of?

Do you mean top ups?

At what date is the other one stuck?

Confused.
Bought a couple of?
Do you mean top ups?

I bought a couple of 10 baht top ups from 7-11. Was to Apr 19, first top up went to May 19, 2nd top up stayed at May 19, so i presume its max of one year ahead

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
18 hours ago, GreatThings said:

Confused.
Bought a couple of?
Do you mean top ups?

I bought a couple of 10 baht top ups from 7-11. Was to Apr 19, first top up went to May 19, 2nd top up stayed at May 19, so i presume its max of one year ahead

Yes. That's right. I thought you may have meant that one stayed at a date before May.

With True, if you try to top up beyond 360 days they take the money but dont immediately apply the extension. But they do seem to apply it later automatically as soon as the extension no longer takes the total beyond 360 days.

Not something I would rely on though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 07:51, gimmesum said:

If you are still in town, AIS has, for today only(perhaps), 10 Mbps over 30 days for 535 baht inclusive.

http://m.ais.co.th/epHO4DqTY

10 hours ago, GreatThings said:

If you are still in town, AIS has, for today only(perhaps), 10 Mbps over 30 days for 535 baht inclusive. also is this deal prepaid or postpaid as some plans will not work for tourists....

http://m.ais.co.th/epHO4DqTY

thanks for the tip that is a good rate however It's too much hassle changing numbers... but definitely a good price and nice to see the competition is heating up regarding the data packages...

thanks for the tip that is a good rate however It's too much hassle changing numbers... but definitely a good price and nice to see the competition is heating up regarding the data packages... also is this deal prepaid or postpaid as some plans will not work for tourists....

I'm guessing you meant to add your quote as above, instead of adding it to my post as if i had written it.

Everything I post is in relation to Prepay.

I use a dedicated device for Internet, so no need to worry about changing numbers. 

46 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

I'm guessing you meant to add your quote as above, instead of adding it to my post as if i had written it.

Everything I post is in relation to Prepay.

I use a dedicated device for Internet, so no need to worry about changing numbers. 

But looks like dtac still the best even at around 800 baht per month as it is renewable weekly and available all the time not just a one time deal....

18 minutes ago, gimmesum said:

But looks like dtac still the best even at around 800 baht per month as it is renewable weekly and available all the time not just a one time deal....

Agreed, IMO the best medium to long term strategy is to get a 12 month dtac Sim card (SC) and simply renew it every trip at Suvvy airport BKK,  particularly if you do at least 2 trips or more every year (as I do.)

You only need one hand phone, keep the Thai SCs for Ipad and hand phone in marked, separate sealed plastic bags and get the lovely TG's outside arrivals; to swap SCs and re-charge the Thai ones, securing your own countries SCs in the same plastic bags.

Then en route (pardon the pun) to Patts call the TG of your choice to meet you after you arrive and settle in your hotel (post the 7/11 experience of course 555)

48 minutes ago, gimmesum said:

It's seems you just aren't getting it. DTAC is 912.55 baht for 30 days, not "around 800 baht".

You ask me to not be insulting, but after being told at least three times and shown exactly how one gets to the figure, there is no excuse for ignorance.

Don't mislead others with misinformation.

You also state renewable weekly, but unless you begin the DTAC package at one second past midnight, you also lose time and therefore your money on the first day, as all their weekly and monthly plans stop at midnight, regardless of when they began.

In other words you can get as little as six days and one minute from a seven day plan.

This doesn't happen with AIS.

So if you are going to compare plans, compare them fairly.

The only way to get the DTAC 10 Mbps plan for 912.55 baht per 30 days is to start the plan at one second past midnight and always make sure that you have enough topped up so that it auto-renews.

Otherwise the potential cost is even more than 912.55 baht per 30 days.

DTAC is fine if you just need a week or two of 10 Mbps data. But otherwise, it isn't great value at approaching 1000 baht per month.

Archived