pangetongoy

Tourist sim. What alternatives we have?

pangetongoy

I been reading here some,  but best option for my upcoming 10 day trip is tourist sim I resume.

Is that sold only on airport or Bangkok and Pattaya also?

What information its requires?  Email etc?

Thanks in advance

davidge

All SIMs need to be registered now. You have to show your passport when you buy one. As a result, some 7-11s etc won’t sell them to you as they can’t be bothered with the paperwork.

You don’t necessarily have to get a Tourist SIM, I’ve had the same one for 4 years. Depends how often you plan to visit.

Probably easier to buy a SIM at the airport as they’re used to setting them up etc and the desks will be open when you arrive. They’ll put it in the phone and make sure it’s working. Just choose your package. 

All the networks have shops in Pattaya so you can wait and get one there if you prefer.

GorGuy
36 minutes ago, pangetongoy said:

I been reading here some,  but best option for my upcoming 10 day trip is tourist sim I resume.

Thanks in advance

Most Family Marts or 7/11's and there are many around.

What I do is get to my hotel, drop my gear off, pop into a beer bar, give my phone to a friendly girl in the beer bar, who goes to the shop and gets a sim put in for me with some credit on it, and uses her ID card to register it.

Job done.

Ludhamlad

Get AIS from Family Mart not 7/11's now, 50 Baht just need to see passport to register it, you'll be paying more for a tourist sim at the airport.  Try then to keep enough credit on it until you think you will next be coming back.

pangetongoy

Ok. Thanks a lot.  

I am more used to travel to Philippines, there its just to buy sim card everywhere,  no ID or anything. 

Just not like my name registered everywhere hehe......  

MidniteM
7 hours ago, davidge said:

All SIMs need to be registered now. You have to show your passport when you buy one. As a result, some 7-11s etc won’t sell them to you as they can’t be bothered with the paperwork.

You don’t necessarily have to get a Tourist SIM, I’ve had the same one for 4 years. Depends how often you plan to visit.

Probably easier to buy a SIM at the airport as they’re used to setting them up etc and the desks will be open when you arrive. They’ll put it in the phone and make sure it’s working. Just choose your package. 

All the networks have shops in Pattaya so you can wait and get one there if you prefer.

Yes, agree with this.

They offer 7, 14 & 30 day tourist SIM. From memory.  I think I paid 500baht for 30 days unlimited data.  Cheap and easy for me, plus no worries about topping up.  I wish the Philippines had something similar.

GreatThings
On 4/30/2018 at 02:07, MidniteM said:

Yes, agree with this.

They offer 7, 14 & 30 day tourist SIM. From memory.  I think I paid 500baht for 30 days unlimited data.  Cheap and easy for me, plus no worries about topping up.  I wish the Philippines had something similar.

There is no 30 day Tourist SIM..and certainly no 'Unlimited Data' Tourist SIM, unless you regard the connection slowing down to 128kbps to 384kbps as unlimited.

You can buy a normal 49 baht or less SIM(even a 49 baht Tourist SIM at the airport) and add an AIS 30 day non stop data at 4 Mbps pack for 481.50 baht.

GreatThings

30 day Internet pack Tourist SIM no have.

They are either 49 baht basic or with 8 or 15 days of data validity.

You have to buy another data pack in order to extend full speed data to 30 days of validity. 

Of course you could use all your allowance on the first day, wherein your throughput would slow to a crawl.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/tourist-sim.html

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_service/visit_thailand/en 

http://www.ais.co.th/travellersim/

pangetongoy

Thanks.  15 day was cheap I think.  I just buy on airport. 2nd floor gate 7 I see.

ThaiFriendly gets easier with this haha

SirL
On 4/30/2018 at 03:07, MidniteM said:

B500 for 30 days unlimited would be very cheap if that's what you got.

I only use Line and Facebook in when out and about in Pattaya - for any other use I'll do that in my hotel/condo - and I stay for nearly a couple of months each trip. 

What I find is cheapest is to buy a SIM only for B50, and it's better to choose one of the SIMs that gives me free social networking app data such as http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/simcard/en/freedomunlimited.html

I add on top of that a B200 for 1 month package for only the smallest quantity of high speed data.  You burn through the data at high speed fairly quickly, but if you're only using social apps and the like then slow 2G data is fine.

Scuba+

I have AIS unlimited data 30 days for 470 baht. 4mbps. There are different speed options. They also have unlimited speed but different data packages. 4mbps has been fine for streaming on TV

freedom42

Here is an example of an unlimited data plan sim card, capped at 4 Mbps for one year (I believe the current cards expire on Dec 31,2018). http://www.11street.co.th/productdetail/best-price-ซิมเทพ-net-true-4g-unlimit-4201889

Earlier in the year (January) they were listed at 1999 baht. So essentially 166 baht a month. Any calls you would make would need to add topup to the card, and likely go to a TrueMove corporate shop to find out the proper rate for SMS, MMS, call prices, etc.

jed§
On 29/04/2018 at 18:57, pangetongoy said:

I also looked into this. For my last 2 trips, 2105 and 2016 this is what I did: went to the 7/11 corner Bukkhao and Lengkee, bought a sim and 300 baht credit, asked (in English) the young man there nicely if he could set it up for me on my phone. He did, without a problem. No passport or ID - nothing.  I gave him a tip and thanked him. Easy, peasy. It lasted (the 300 bt credit) for the whole of my 5 week stay each time.

jed§

I can't comment on others experiences, that was mine. Same with changing money, both at the airport and at booths in Pattaya. Never been asked for my passport or any ID at all. Honestly, I really do go to Pattaya.

davidge

I’ve had the same True SIM for a few years now. I top it up when I’m in Pattaya to prolong the validity and use the balance to buy a data package when I arrive next trip.

My options for next trip will be:

BEB733DC-B157-419D-85EA-7BB89DED5768.thumb.jpeg.54736459cf33139590d4a6b696b3e1eb.jpegFC631B2B-48B4-4251-8C6D-4E7AF1BBB2FC.thumb.jpeg.df3f90683995dda6111064621e1ed91f.jpeg

I got the 12gb package last trip but it was more than I needed. I also had to go to the True store to have the recurring turned off.

I’m wondering if the 2gb weekly package will be better for me? Just unclear if that would be a slower speed or not. Any techies care to look and help me out? :P

tez4life

Is it better and cheaper to get a non tourist sim in may seen as im back in december. I did have a true move sim but ive lost it. Although it was an old big sim so no good for the modern phones?

Scuba+
I’ve had the same True SIM for a few years now. I top it up when I’m in Pattaya to prolong the validity and use the balance to buy a data package when I arrive next trip.
My options for next trip will be:
BEB733DC-B157-419D-85EA-7BB89DED5768.thumb.jpeg.54736459cf33139590d4a6b696b3e1eb.jpegFC631B2B-48B4-4251-8C6D-4E7AF1BBB2FC.thumb.jpeg.df3f90683995dda6111064621e1ed91f.jpeg
I got the 12gb package last trip but it was more than I needed. I also had to go to the True store to have the recurring turned off.
I’m wondering if the 2gb weekly package will be better for me? Just unclear if that would be a slower speed or not. Any techies care to look and help me out? 
Depends how much data you use, you can set your phone so it tracks how much data you are using. How much data are you using a month?

Personally i like the flexibility of unlimited data 30 day plans but restricting the speed with AIS which are good value. The True 2gb per 7 days doesn't look good value at all.

davidge
5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends how much data you use, you can set your phone so it tracks how much data you are using. How much data are you using a month?

Personally i like the flexibility of unlimited data 30 day plans but restricting the speed with AIS which are good value. The True 2gb per 7 days doesn't look good value at all.

That’s the problem, I’m not really sure how much data. I’m pretty sure I used over half the 12gb but can’t remember if it was more than 8gb. It’s the speeds bit I find most confusing. Really have no idea! I know the speed with the monthly package was good. I do use FaceTime on it and general browsing. 

I’m there just over the 30 days next time so the 30-day package wouldn’t quite be enough. I also have to rely on the True store properly turning off the recurring package or my balance will disappear. It took 2 visits to get it done last time.

It may well be there’s a better option than True, I just happened to get their SIM a few years ago. I’d rather not change my number if I can help it, even if I’m paying a little more for now.

It will be different when I start spending more time in Thailand again. I’ll need to look at all options at that point.

JB300

I normally just use my SG SIM (unlimited data at 4G speeds for s$10 /240THB per day for a maximum of 4 days, after that free for the rest of the calendar month) but this time I'm planning on opening a bank account so need a local SIM that I can keep going for SMS messages, any recommendations?

Edited by JB300

SirL

Yes, this

FC631B2B-48B4-4251-8C6D-4E7AF1BBB2FC.jpeg.a8ee7b0973d118a31427b80a70f2350a.thumb.jpeg.f14384e07069c9d165d2a47b8ecce4a8.jpeg

On the basis that I don't need fast data for the non-streaming simple apps I use when out and about, I use any old B50 SIM (preferably one that gives me free data on Line and Facebook) and a data plan like the second one down in this list costing B199 per 30 days.  Of course I burn through the fast data quickly and am then limited to slow data, but that's fine for simple apps like Line.

So my total cost for mobile data is B50 for the SIM and then B199 per 30 days of slow data.  Beat that!  Do you really need your data to be 4G?  Only if you're streaming or voice calling.

Edited by SirL

ripleybailey

Before heading to Thailand I did my research on cell phones and SIMs and planned to get it all setup the day I arrived in BKK. Well, three days later, I realized I still hadn't done it and did I really need to?

With all the free WiFi around I found that there were only a couple of times when I wished I had cell service. I used LINE, WhatsApp and ThaiFriendly a lot and never had an issue. This was in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Patt.

Your hotel has Wifi, most restaurants will have it, BTS in BKK has it, there's also a Pattaya Free wifi along Beach Rd. It's not full coverage but I connected many times while chilling out on the beach.

I never got that SIM the entire 2 weeks.

Scuba+
That’s the problem, I’m not really sure how much data. I’m pretty sure I used over half the 12gb but can’t remember if it was more than 8gb. It’s the speeds bit I find most confusing. Really have no idea! I know the speed with the monthly package was good. I do use FaceTime on it and general browsing. 

I’m there just over the 30 days next time so the 30-day package wouldn’t quite be enough. I also have to rely on the True store properly turning off the recurring package or my balance will disappear. It took 2 visits to get it done last time.

It may well be there’s a better option than True, I just happened to get their SIM a few years ago. I’d rather not change my number if I can help it, even if I’m paying a little more for now.

It will be different when I start spending more time in Thailand again. I’ll need to look at all options at that point.

For the things you are using it for the data used shouldn't be too high, especially if you use wifi too. Choose a 30 day package that suits your estimated data use, 4gb may be more than enough. The True ones post #20 look ok

Usually the auto renewel can be cancelled by phone, if your balance is less than the renewal amount it won't go through anyway.

I like AIS. d3353beb73847004da63891e25e4a89c.jpg

Biennial
6 hours ago, ripleybailey said:

Before heading to Thailand I did my research on cell phones and SIMs and planned to get it all setup the day I arrived in BKK. Well, three days later, I realized I still hadn't done it and did I really need to?

With all the free WiFi around I found that there were only a couple of times when I wished I had cell service. I used LINE, WhatsApp and Thaifriendly a lot and never had an issue. This was in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Patt.

Your hotel has Wifi, most restaurants will have it, BTS in BKK has it, there's also a Pattaya Free wifi along Beach Rd. It's not full coverage but I connected many times while chilling out on the beach.

I never got that SIM the entire 2 weeks.

And if you are from the USA, switch to T-Mobile. They provide free roaming data and 20c/minute phone calls in 140 countries, including Thailand. The data is at 2G speed, but with 3G/4G features. It is plenty fast enough for ordinary use. And you have your USA phone number while in Thailand. Won't miss any calls. And it "just works" when you arrive in Thailand (or many other countries). I never get Thai SIMs any more.

Biennial
4 minutes ago, Biennial said:

And if you are from the USA, switch to T-Mobile. They provide free roaming data and 20c/minute phone calls in 140 countries, including Thailand. The data is at 2G speed, but with 3G/4G features. It is plenty fast enough for ordinary use. And you have your USA phone number while in Thailand. Won't miss any calls. And it "just works" when you arrive in Thailand (or many other countries). I never get Thai SIMs any more.

Here'a good article on the subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2018/02/07/how-fast-are-t-mobiles-international-data-speeds/#705666b16bdc

The default roaming data speed is 128KBPS, and you can double that for $10/month. (that is dog slow compared to the 20MBS and up we are used to)

They also say that Google Project Fi is better. (full speed data in 135 countries) But it's only available on a handful of handsets:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2018/02/06/best-wireless-carrier-for-frequent-travelers-google-project-fi-or-t-mobile/#799907c23fdd

GreatThings
On 5/1/2018 at 15:24, davidge said:

I recommend the 4 Mbps or 6 Mbps 30 day package for you. That way you don't need to think about the amount of data you need use.

The 6 Mbps package is sold by AIS as for HD video streaming. So that should give you an idea of it's capability.

*900*1704# for the 4 Mbps 535 baht

*900*1746# for the 6 Mbps 588.50 satang

Best to go for the 6 Mbps

Then dependent on how many days you will stay over thirty you can add another package towards the end.

For example; *900*1954# for 4 GB over seven days for 52.43 baht.