Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist sim. What alternatives we have?

pangetongoy

On 5/1/2018 at 15:12, scubascuba3 said:

Depends how much data you use, you can set your phone so it tracks how much data you are using. How much data are you using a month?

Personally i like the flexibility of unlimited data 30 day plans but restricting the speed with AIS which are good value. The True 2gb per 7 days doesn't look good value at all.

Of course one can just use the weekly package I have outlined above; 4 GB over seven days for 52.43 baht.

But remembering to renew it before you use up your credit can be annoying.

Month packages less stressful. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/1/2018 at 16:17, SirL said:

Yes, this

FC631B2B-48B4-4251-8C6D-4E7AF1BBB2FC.jpeg.a8ee7b0973d118a31427b80a70f2350a.thumb.jpeg.f14384e07069c9d165d2a47b8ecce4a8.jpeg

On the basis that I don't need fast data for the non-streaming simple apps I use when out and about, I use any old B50 SIM (preferably one that gives me free data on Line and Facebook) and a data plan like the second one down in this list costing B199 per 30 days.  Of course I burn through the fast data quickly and am then limited to slow data, but that's fine for simple apps like Line.

So my total cost for mobile data is B50 for the SIM and then B199 per 30 days of slow data.  Beat that!  Do you really need your data to be 4G?  Only if you're streaming or voice calling.

The AIS plan you mention is 213 baht. You can add fast data to that package from 52.43 baht or just buy an unlimited 1 Mbps package for 321 baht. *777*7153#

33 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

I recommend the 4 Mbps or 6 Mbps 30 day package for you. That way you don't need to think about the amount of data you need use.

The 6 Mbps package is sold by AIS as for HD video streaming. So that should give you an idea of it's capability.

*900*1704# for the 4 Mbps 535 baht

*900*1746# for the 6 Mbps 588.50 satang

Best to go for the 6 Mbps

Then dependent on how many days you will stay over thirty you can add another package towards the end.

For example; *900*1954# for 4 GB over seven days for 52.43 baht.

Thanks.

Those are with True?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

3 hours ago, GreatThings said:

The AIS plan you mention is 213 baht. You can add fast data to that package from 52.43 baht or just buy an unlimited 1 Mbps package for 321 baht. *777*7153#

I don't want fast data.  Given that I don't make voice calls from my mobile or use streaming video (I'd do that from my laptop in the hotel/condo), I just use simple social media apps when out and about, for me fast data isn't necessary.  I just want the cheapest way per day to be online with 2G data, that's all.  I think 4G fast data is unnecessary for my uses.  Everyone seems hooked on fast data, but I'm not very interested in it.

I don't want fast data.  Given that I don't make voice calls from my mobile or use streaming video (I'd do that from my laptop in the hotel/condo), I just use simple social media apps when out and about, for me fast data isn't necessary.  I just want the cheapest way per day to be online with 2G data, that's all.  I think 4G fast data is unnecessary for my uses.  Everyone seems hooked on fast data, but I'm not very interested in it.
I found that 128kbps unusable, 1mbps is about the minimum so the AIS 1mbps unlimited for 199 baht is worth it. For comparision my Virgin media speed in the UK is 100mbps, completely unnecessary but they keep speeding it up

9 hours ago, davidge said:

Thanks.

Those are with True?

Yes.

Just turn off data, top up credit, tap in the code and then press the dial button. Then turn data back on.

6 hours ago, SirL said:

As I stated, if you don't want fast data, try the 1 Mbps package. Faster than 2G for sending pics and video over social media apps and doesn't run out or slow down(location permitting of course). Currently 106 baht per 14 days if you subscribe by 10/05/2018. It also gives a back up option if the condo connection is down.

It's a better option for you. *788*4205#

Normal option is 321 baht per 30 days, but if you buy a six month package, it works out to 107 baht per 30 days.

15 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

Yes.

Just turn off data, top up credit, tap in the code and then press the dial button. Then turn data back on.

Thanks a lot. I have credit on my SIM from last trip so I’ll activate that package while I wait for my bags at the airport.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, SirL said:

I found that 128kbps unusable, 1mbps is about the minimum so the AIS 1mbps unlimited for 199 baht is worth it. For comparision my Virgin media speed in the UK is 100mbps, completely unnecessary but they keep speeding it up

It's all about what apps you actually use.  As I wrote, I don't use streaming or video apps (I'd do that on my laptop in my room) so IME slow data is fine.

As I stated, if you don't want fast data, try the 1 Mbps package. Faster than 2G for sending pics and video over social media apps and doesn't run out or slow down(location permitting of course). Currently 106 baht per 14 days if you subscribe by 10/05/2018. It also gives a back up option if the condo connection is down.

It's a better option for you. *788*4205#

With respect, I've explained clearly why fast data is not a better option for me.  Of course many/most people want to stream stuff or send video, and good for them, but I don't so IME slow data does work fine for me.  I am combining an online phone when out and about with an online laptop back in my room for the data-intensive things.  If all you want to do when out and about is send or receive Line text messages, read FB or access emails (as is the case for me), slow data only works fine and it's a good deal cheaper.

8 hours ago, SirL said:

It's all about what apps you actually use.  As I wrote, I don't use streaming or video apps (I'd do that on my laptop in my room) so IME slow data is fine.

With respect, I've explained clearly why fast data is not a better option for me.  Of course many/most people want to stream stuff or send video, and good for them, but I don't so IME slow data does work fine for me.  I am combining an online phone when out and about with an online laptop back in my room for the data-intensive things.  If all you want to do when out and about is send or receive Line text messages, read FB or access emails (as is the case for me), slow data only works fine and it's a good deal cheaper.

You are so stuck in your ways that you are completely misreading what I wrote.

Read again.

I didn't write anything about "video apps". I wrote "sending pics and video over social media apps".

I also didn't write anything about you obtaining fast data.

What I am telling you is that you are subscribing to a package that gives you fast data that you don't need and then slows it down to a speed that is just about usable.

What we are trying to tell you is that instead of buy a 1 GB volume of fast data, you buy an unlimited volume of slower data. 

So instead of 1 GB of data at a 10 Mbps speed, slowing down to 0.1 Mbps, you use an evened out package of 1 Mbps speed with unlimited volume which is more suited to your usage.

The slower data; 1 Mbps packages are perfect for general browsing, social apps etc

I don't know about you, but every Facebook page I know contains pictures and video.

So you are opening pics and playing video sometimes even if you don't choose to do so.

Currently the 1 Mbps package is the same price as your usual fast/slow package and better still if you are in Thailand for the longer term, the 1 Mbps is half the price of your fast/slow package.

So instead of being stubborn, imagining that you already know all there is to know, try to listen and learn. Even if you decide to not change, you might understand something.

It's not about fast or faster data. It's about a package better suited to your usage  and perhaps your pocket and also good as a backup if your home connection is down.

I didn't write anything about "video apps". If you look, you'll see I wrote the words "video apps" in reply to scubascuba, not you. I wrote "sending pics and video over social media apps". I don't send pics and video over social media apps in any case.  I receive plenty of pics, but never send pics or videos.  Mainly it's text I'm sending and receiving, on Line, FB and TF as well as checking my gmail accounts and receiving financial prices.

I also didn't write anything about you obtaining fast data.  You did.  You suggested a 1 Mbps plan.  I don't need data that fast.

What I am telling you is that you are subscribing to a package that gives you fast data that you don't need and then slows it down to a speed that is just about usable. You're absolutely entitled to think that the 2G speed isn't usable for what you do, but please believe me, it's fine for what I do when out and about in Pattaya.  Please stop writing that 2G is unusable - that is not the case for the simple apps  I use.  I'm perfectly happy with the data speed of the plan I've described when out in Pattaya.

What we are trying to tell you is that instead of buy a 1 GB volume of fast data, you buy an unlimited volume of slower data.  I don't want to buy any data faster than "slow" 2G, to be honest.  If there were a package of just slow 2G data alone at an even cheaper price, that would be the best deal for me.

So instead of 1 GB of data at a 10 Mbps speed, slowing down to 0.1 Mbps, you use an evened out package of 1 Mbps speed with unlimited volume which is more suited to your usage.  The ideal for my usage would be simply a medium amount of 2G data, and I think what I'm buying is the cheapest way to get that.

The slower data; 1 Mbps packages are perfect for general browsing, social apps etc I've clearly written that I don't do general browsing on my phone, and I don't need the data for that

I don't know about you, but every Facebook page I know contains pictures and video.  I turn off autoplay of videos, and pics are fine on 2G.

So you are opening pics and playing video sometimes even if you don't choose to do so.  No I'm not playing video - it's turned off by default

Currently the 1 Mbps package is the same price as your usual fast/slow package and better still if you are in Thailand for the longer term, the 1 Mbps is half the price of your fast/slow package. No, your suggestion is more expensive for my trips to Thailand, which are about 57 days long (just under the 60 days easily available on a tourist visa)  Your suggestion appears to be B321 per month, mine is B213 per month

So instead of being stubborn, imagining that you already know all there is to know, try to listen and learn. Even if you decide to not change, you might understand something. Please listen to my explanation that I don't want any data faster than 2G.  I think you're obsessed with fast data, and you struggle to understand that I really don't have any need for it.

It's not about fast or faster data. It's about a package better suited to your usage  and perhaps your pocket and also good as a backup if your home connection is down.  Please understand that fast data is not better suited to my usage, and AIUI your suggestion is more expensive for a nearly 2 month stay than mine

I am very ready to hear suggestions of how to obtain the medium quantity of slow speed 2G data I need for the simple apps I use when out and about, more cheaply than my suggestion.  If anyone can suggest a cheaper way to get what I need, please go ahead!  Your suggestion appears AIUI to be more expensive, and it gives me faster 1 Mbps data that I don't need.

Of course it's not for you, but TrueMove H offer blindingly fast 512 kbps for the same 212.93 baht per 30 days. But that would allow the pictures being sent to you to load up to four times more quickly than when you currently use up your ridiculously and unnecessarily fast 1 GB of data with AIS. You don't want that.  :)

Thanks for the ideas, now they're getting useful.  Shame they come with the attitude.  Why couldn't you have suggested ideas suited to my needs before?

@GreatThings super nice overview of multiple options here, this is perfect! Great attitude as well helping out people with different needs.

Paste countdown timer here

Sirl, he's not your employee, he's provided loads of useful info

Thanks for the ideas, now they're getting useful.  Shame they come with the attitude.  Why couldn't you have suggested ideas suited to my needs before?

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sirl, he's not your employee, he's provided loads of useful info

Never suggested he was my employee.  He wrote a whole lot of attitude whilst recommending stuff that wasn't suited to needs that I had clearly written on this thread, and then I thanked him for some ideas when they got useful.  I think he's written far more stuff attacking me than he has info useful to me - the only info useful to me he's written on this thread is #38, which I thanked in #39.  If he's gonna write stuff like 

23 hours ago, GreatThings said:

You are old aren't you?

then IMO I'm entitled to give him short shift in return.

I suggest that you make a complaint to his manager rather than harrsassing this poor True employee. [emoji6]

Let's try to stay on topic... AIS has some alternatives for those who only uses social media apps: http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/simcard/en/super_social.html

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, SirL said:

Never suggested he was my employee.  He wrote a whole lot of attitude whilst recommending stuff that wasn't suited to needs that I had clearly written on this thread, and then I thanked him for some ideas when they got useful.  I think he's written far more stuff attacking me than he has info useful to me - the only info useful to me he's written on this thread is #38, which I thanked in #39.  If he's gonna write stuff like 

You are entitled to prod your sense of humour back to life.

4 hours ago, nachelitas said:

I suggest that you make a complaint to his manager rather than harrsassing this poor True employee. emoji6.png

Let's try to stay on topic... AIS has some alternatives for those who only uses social media apps: http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/simcard/en/super_social.html

That's too fast, he doesn't want blazingly fast 1 Mbps. He wants 2G speeds. :)

Aren't you listening? :wink: Why you offer him fast Internet? :)

My one better; 2G for free.  Otherwise, how can he check email after the seven days of fast Internet runs out?

Other SIMs along the same theme of your suggestion; http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/sim-social-hero.html

Top ups of 100 baht as opposed to 150 baht with AIS.

and the Truemove H Social SIM; http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package/prepaid?ln=en that offers free use of Facebook, Line, Instagram, Whatsapp, Messenger, Twitter, Pinterest, Skype, QQ, Weibo, Kakao Talk, Wechat, Viber chat, Snapchat with 150 baht top ups. But again crazy 1 Mbps speeds for the social applications.

Free and unlimited use of their WiFi Hotspots.

Seriously Lancelot,  relax and enjoy.

On 8.5.2018 at 21:52, GreatThings said:

*900*1704# for the 4 Mbps 535 baht

*900*1746# for the 6 Mbps 588.50 satang

Best to go for the 6 Mbps

I'll go for the 6 Mbps, the price difference between those equals 0.05 L of a beer in my home country.

If i'm reading this right then buying a AIS Traveler (30 day) 49bht SIM pay-as-you-go plan is a good start. 

My needs are:
- (minimal)  a phone number so that I can be contacted by the dentist, hotel, taxi
- (crucial) a decent speed, for video streaming, games, IM, app patching.

So after buying the SIM  I should add on this - *900*1746# for the 6 Mbps 588.50 satang

So after buying the SIM  I should add on this - *900*1746# for the 6 Mbps 588.50 satang

Yes, but it's True. Not AIS.

12 hours ago, GreatThings said:

That's too fast, he doesn't want blazingly fast 1 Mbps. He wants 2G speeds. :)

Aren't you listening? :wink: Why you offer him fast Internet? :)

My bad, I was thinking that maybe someone else other than Cyril could benefit from this tread. :LMAO1:

here's the best deal for a fast connection... dtac is offering 10 meg download speed unlimited is around 220 per week.  if you want a speedy connection go with this... 

Archived