IGNORED

Tourist sim. What alternatives we have?

pangetongoy

4 hours ago, gimmesum said:

here's the best deal for a fast connection... dtac is offering 10 meg download speed unlimited is around 220 per week.  if you want a speedy connection go with this... 

912.5 baht per month doesn't appear particularly bargainous to me. 

Might be more attractive if there were a discounted monthly package option.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, birdhaus said:

If i'm reading this right then buying a AIS Traveler (30 day) 49bht SIM pay-as-you-go plan is a good start. 

My needs are:
- (minimal)  a phone number so that I can be contacted by the dentist, hotel, taxi
- (crucial) a decent speed, for video streaming, games, IM, app patching.

So after buying the SIM  I should add on this - *900*1746# for the 6 Mbps 588.50 satang

AIS 4 Mbps 30 days is 481.5 baht *777*7155#

AIS 6 Mbps 30 days is 588.5 baht *777*7211

I can't guarantee that you can add those packages to an AIS Traveller/Tourist SIM as I've never owned an AIS Traveller SIM. Only standard SIM.

I can't guarantee that you can add those packages to an AIS Traveller/Tourist SIM as I've never owned an AIS Traveller SIM. Only standard SIM.
I've had the 4Mbps unlimited for 7 months and its been fast enough with no buffering ever incl streaming. No need for 6Mbps. The important thing seems to be the server the feed is coming from

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, GreatThings said:

I've had the 4Mbps unlimited for 7 months and its been fast enough with no buffering ever incl streaming. No need for 6Mbps. The important thing seems to be the server the feed is coming from

I recommend 6 Mbps to those with TrueMove H, as the price differential is smaller. Just over 50 baht per month.

10 hours ago, GreatThings said:

hey @Great Thing thanks for the clarification on the add-on's.
I looked at the AIS website http://www.ais.co.th/travellersim/
Under the AIS Traveller/Tourist SIM it does say all top up packages.
I think i'll get the SIM immediately at the airport but buy the top up's from a Family Mart? what do you think?

3 hours ago, birdhaus said:

hey @Great Thing thanks for the clarification on the add-on's.
I looked at the AIS website http://www.ais.co.th/travellersim/
Under the AIS Traveller/Tourist SIM it does say all top up packages.
I think i'll get the SIM immediately at the airport but buy the top up's from a Family Mart? what do you think?

The 'All Top Up Packages' refers to the speed to which the top up packages are throttled once you have used up the normal/fast data volume allowance.

I take it that you have not seen their suggested top up packages on the same page;

They are normally throttled down to 64 kbps after you use up the main allowance. But with the Traveller SIM, you get an upgrade to 384 kbps.

But of course those packages are relatively poor value. I don't know if they block access to the adding on of 'normal' packages.

You can buy the basic 49 baht SIM and credit at the airport. Before purchase, you can show the code or a screenshot of the package you want, to the person at the airport sales booth counter. that way they can confirm beforehand that the package can be added to a Traveller SIM.

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

AIS1.jpg

AIS2a.jpg

AIS2.jpg

thanks I'll do that
I really want the 6Mbps 30 day 550 thb plan

1 hour ago, birdhaus said:

thanks I'll do that
I really want the 6Mbps 30 day 550 thb plan

That will be 588.5 baht inclusive of V.A.T. so you'll need to top up with 600 baht.

I don't want you to put 600 baht on a SIM on which you might not be able to add the package. So I would suggest you just run a little test before adding the full amount of credit.

So you can get the SIM, but then go to the Family Mart in the airport in order to purchase 13 50 baht top up slips. 

A lot, but there is good reason. Adding the slips one by one should take the validity period of the SIM to the full 365 days. When you buy the SIM, ask them if it's possible to extend the validity to 365 days. Of course you don't want them to do it, but just to check if it's possible for that SIM.

That way you can use the same SIM for a future trip(or abroad). But more importantly, you can add just one 50 slip in order to test the SIM.

So, turn off cellular data and top up with the first 50 baht. Then apply code *777*7209# and then press the Dial button. If it accepts the code you will have 6 Mbps for twenty four hours.

If you are happy, then just before the twenty four hours are up, add the remaining credit slip by slip and then apply the *777*7211# option.

Sorted.

On 5/13/2018 at 00:54, GreatThings said:

912.5 baht per month doesn't appear particularly bargainous to me. 

Might be more attractive if there were a discounted monthly package option.

880 per month... tell me where else can you get unlimited at 10 meg download?  this is a good deal.  it's about 30 bucks a month... 

Just now, gimmesum said:

880 per month... tell me where else can you get unlimited at 10 meg download?  this is a good deal.  it's about 30 bucks a month... this is constant unlimited 10 meg ulimited not like the bs plans others offer where they give a few gigs of high speed and the rest ad 500k or less and call it "unlimited" do you understand?

23 hours ago, gimmesum said:

880 per month... tell me where else can you get unlimited at 10 meg download?  this is a good deal.  it's about 30 bucks a month... 

Are you V.A.T exempt?

212.93 divided by 7, multiplied by 30(days) is 912.55 baht.

First off, who here needs 10 Mbps?

Most are looking at 1 Mbps (321 baht) 4 Mbps (481.5 baht) 6 Mbps (588.5 baht).

In addition to this, six month term packages offer a per month price of, for 1 Mbps (107 baht baht), 4 Mbps (249.67 baht), 6 Mbps (321 baht).

912.55 baht for 30 days of 10 Mbps doesn't look good.

Im in the predicament of i dont know what to do for the best. I cant find my old sim and I land on saturday. Now i know i can get a true move tourist sim from the airport kiosk. But ill be back again in december so i dont know if i can extend the validity on a tourist sim or whether the sim is dead after the 14 or 30 day package has expired. Would i better to by a standard non tourist sim and put my own package on it. Can i get one of them in the airport or should i wait until i get to pattaya and bus it to the true move shop? 

1 hour ago, tez4life said:

Im in the predicament of i dont know what to do for the best. I cant find my old sim and I land on saturday. Now i know i can get a true move tourist sim from the airport kiosk. But ill be back again in december so i dont know if i can extend the validity on a tourist sim or whether the sim is dead after the 14 or 30 day package has expired. Would i better to by a standard non tourist sim and put my own package on it. Can i get one of them in the airport or should i wait until i get to pattaya and bus it to the true move shop? 

This is a real predicament. Having to spend £1 on a SIM.

If you need a SIM straight away, just get a 49 baht Tourist SIM at the airport.  It usually comes with 90 MB of data and 20 baht of calling credit. Enough to get you in to town at least.

No need to buy the 299 or 599 baht Tourist SIM packs.

The 49 baht SIM is extendable to at least three months ahead or it might be extendable to 365.

If you need to have the same number in a year's time and the Tourist SIM only is movable to three months of validity in advance, just get another normal SIM when you are near a True booth. You would have only had the new SIM for a day or two, so no issue giving people your new number again.

No problem with having multiple SIMs registered to your name..

In addition, you can add your own package to a 49 baht Tourist SIM.

4 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

This is a real predicament. Having to spend £1 on a SIM.

If you need a SIM straight away, just get a 49 baht Tourist SIM at the airport.  No need to buy the 299 or 599 baht Tourist SIM packs.

The 49 baht SIM is extendable to at least three months ahead or it might be extendable to 365.

If you need to have the same number in a year's time and the Tourist SIM only is movable to three months of validity in advance, just get another normal SIM when you are near a True booth. You would have only had the new SIM for a day or two, so no issue giving people your new number again.

No problem with having multiple SIMs registered to your name..

Ive looked on true move site, 99b for 7 days gives you 2 gb data. So i was thinking if i can get a standard sim for 49b and top up with that twice im sorted. Then buy 6 seperate 50 baht top up slips at 7/11 to extend validity to december. Thats how it used to work but dunno if you can extend the tourist sim thats what im not sure about!

4 minutes ago, tez4life said:

Ive looked on true move site, 99b for 7 days gives you 2 gb data. So i was thinking if i can get a standard sim for 49b and top up with that twice im sorted. Then buy 6 seperate 50 baht top up slips at 7/11 to extend validity to december. Thats how it used to work but dunno if you can extend the tourist sim thats what im not sure about!

There are other package options;

1 Mbps speed non-stop data for 7 days is only 1.07 baht more than your 2 GB for 105.93, at 107 baht *900*1973#

If on a budget, you can go for 2/4 GB over 7 days for 52.43 baht *900*1954# 

If you need more data, you can go for 5/10 GB over 7 days for 105.93 baht *900*1937#

20 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

There are other package options;

1 Mbps speed non-stop data for 7 days is only 1.07 baht more than your 2 GB for 105.93, at 107 baht *900*1973#

If on a budget, you can go for 2/4 GB over 7 days for 52.43 baht *900*1954# 

If you need more data, you can go for 5/10 GB over 7 days for 105.93 baht *900*1937#

Your a legend. The one i was looking for 99b was for 4g i dont need that its only for browsing. Ill watsapp video the kids on wifi in hotel so might be the way forward. Ill just get a standard 49b sim. Can they top up at counter or is there a 7/11 in the airport

6 hours ago, GreatThings said:

First off, who here needs 10 Mbps?

Most are looking at 1 Mbps (321 baht) 4 Mbps (481.5 baht) 6 Mbps (588.5 baht).

Even the 10Mbps is slow if you are used to 100-150Mbps speeds, so those 1 - 4 Mbps are really just too slow for some of us :rolleyes:
Even that 6Mbps is barely ok-ish for a holiday sim.

If you are used to faster speeds, it's really frustrating to have to wait something simple like downloading some files, or surfing on picture heavy forums, or watching HD videos. And in some hotels the wifi may not be that good or you may have to log in every time you connect, so it's easier to just use your own net + you have it only when staying in room, so no video calls from beach etc.

For my next trip I would have taken again the tourist sim just because after long flight it's so easy and the price difference isn't that big. But because I'm staying just a little bit longer this time, I may have to take the 6Mbits 30day add-on from AIS and see how it works for me.

:Flying:4th trip - "The Afterwork" is finally happening in May :Cheers9:

41 minutes ago, Mr_Peace said:

Even the 10Mbps is slow if you are used to 100-150Mbps speeds, so those 1 - 4 Mbps are really just too slow for some of us :rolleyes:

If you are used to faster speeds, it's really frustrating to have to wait something simple like downloading some files, or surfing on picture heavy forums, or watching HD videos. And in some hotels the wifi may not be that good or you may have to log in every time you connect, so it's easier to just use your own net + you have it only when staying in room, so no video calls from beach etc.

For my next trip I would have taken again the tourist sim just because after long flight it's so easy and the price difference isn't that big. But because I'm staying just a little bit longer this time, I may have to take the 6Mbits 30day add-on from AIS and see how it works for me.

So if you want faster, just spend a bit more. 1500 baht+ gets you unlimited 4G 

image.png.180b3afb4007012ec76d4df9ebe59537.png

I use 4mbps and no problem with streams or downloads, no buffering due to speed my end. I doubt you'd notice any difference here between 4 and 10mbps.

I have 100mbps in the UK and i don't notice any difference, for gaming i guess its much more important

1 hour ago, Mr_Peace said:

I don't really agree with your statement. Unless you are downloading huge files, you won't notice much difference between 6 Mbps and 10 Mbps.

Streaming HD files no issue with a 4 MBPS connection. Full HD no issue with 6 Mbps.

Of course if you want to pull down a 30 GB BluRay movie, you are going to have to wait.

The real difference, with say, having a 50 Mbps connection at home is the ability to share the connection without affecting the usage of another.

But since the mobile data connection is your own, you don't have to be downloading a file in one room, whilst trying to stream in another.

6 Mbps is adequate for Full HD streaming.

10 Mbps pack is fine for the short term, but be aware they count the day you subscribe as a full day. So sign up at 10pm and your first day is only two hours. Not nice.

But as aforementioned, if you've a need for speed and your phone is capable of 4G/LTE in Thailand, both TrueMove H and AIS have full speed unlimited packs at 1605 baht per month.

Truemove H *900*1703#

AIS *777*7156#

3 hours ago, tez4life said:

Your a legend. The one i was looking for 99b was for 4g i dont need that its only for browsing. Ill watsapp video the kids on wifi in hotel so might be the way forward. Ill just get a standard 49b sim. Can they top up at counter or is there a 7/11 in the airport

There is a Family Mart at the airport. 

Yes they sell top ups at the airport booth, but they may be reluctant to sell you six, fifty baht top ups. Instead perhaps suggesting that a 300 baht top up is the minimum.

14 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

There is a Family Mart at the airport. 

Yes they sell top ups at the airport booth, but they may be reluctant to sell you six, fifty baht top ups. Instead perhaps suggesting that a 300 baht top up is the minimum.

I was thinking of a 49b sim card, top up with say 200 baht. Put my own cheap package on it. Ive found a code where you can increase validity 3 months per 12b of credit. So just need to put the number in 2 times to get 6 months extension with any luck :-)

Hope these may be of help to you

Screenshot_20180515-172920_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 minutes ago, tez4life said:

I was thinking of a 49b sim card, top up with say 200 baht. Put my own cheap package on it. Ive found a code where you can increase validity 3 months per 12b of credit. So just need to put the number in 2 times to get 6 months extension with any luck :-)

*934*30# or *934*90# or *934*180# for 30, 90 & 180 days respectively.

2 , 6 or 12 baht. Prices may be subject to V.A.T. But don't depend on it working with a new SIM. It might.

Oh...you've just posted them. :rolleyes:

I don't use Truemove H.

Archived