Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Problem With 90 Day Check In for Retirement Visa

Sexyfarangman

4 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

I don't have a smart phone, but I know what is on my Visa. It's 12 month non-immigrant O.

With an 'M'.

Go back to Jomtien and ask....you may not have time for another thread.  :Laugh1:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

What do you mean stamp date? I entered LOS on June 26. //

When you entered Thailand, you got a stamp at airport. Something like that one:

240px-Thailand_sadao_entry.JPG

First that is your entrance date (June 26)

Second one "Admitted Until" is the one I ask you...

If about September 23, you have a "O" and must make a visarun very soon

If like "2018 June 25", you have a "OA" and can stay until that date.

6 minutes ago, Edge said:

With an 'M'.

Go back to Jomtien and ask....you may not have time for another thread.  :Laugh1:

Yes, with an M. It seems to me that if I have to do a border run, then it was not necessary to do a 90 day check in at Jomtien. At any rate, since two BMs have now indicated that I need to do a border run, I'll start a new thread. I should have my answer by the end of today.

Just now, Oukiva said:

When you entered Thailand, you got a stamp at airport. Something like that one:

240px-Thailand_sadao_entry.JPG

First that is your entrance date (June 26)

Second one "Admitted Until" is the one I ask you...

If about September 23, you have a "O" and must make a visarun very soon

If like "2018 June 25", you have a "OA" and can stay until that date.

It says admitted to June 25, 2018, so I guess it isn't necessary to do a border run.

14 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

What do you mean stamp date? I entered LOS on June 26. The stamp says my Visa runs to June 25, 2018. I think you may be confusing my Visa with a tourist Visa where you are allowed 60 days and can extend a further 30 days. After that, you would need to do a border run.

A visa only allows you, at the discretion of the immigration, to enter the country. It does not allow you to stay for a period of time. At entry you get an entry stamp. On this stamp the immigration officer writes the date until which you can stay. 

With a non-o visa this will typically be 90 days from entry. After these 90 days you must leave the country. 

A non-o multi visa allows you to re-enter as many times, for a period of 90 days, as you want until a year after the visa was issued. So not 1 year after your first entry. 

12 minutes ago, eXplosief said:

// A non-o multi Visa allows you to re-enter as many times, for a period of 90 days, as you want until a year after the Visa was issued. So not 1 year after your first entry. 

From the previous post, we now know he has a "OA", not a "O", so it's a multiple with 1-year periods, not 90-days, and yes he can stay nearly 2 years if he makes a visarun just before the visa expires.

1 minute ago, Oukiva said:

From the previous post, we now know he has a "OA", not a "O", so it's a multiple with 1-year periods, not 90-days, and yes he can stay nearly 2 years if he makes a visarun just before the Visa expires.

I was a bit slow at typing I guess. Information was added while making the post. Think the info is still correct for someone with a non-o visa. 

You have a 1 year OA Visa. You can stay for up to 1 year. Every time you leave and reenter in that year you get a further 1 year. If you enter just before the last day, you get an extra year.

You can then stay for another year, but that is when you will need a reentry permit, if you leave.

Don't panic!

1 hour ago, Sexyfarangman said:

It says admitted to June 25, 2018, so I guess it isn't necessary to do a border run.

Just ignore the 90 day extension posts. That is an O type visa. You have a multi entry O-A visa that is valid for up to 2 years if you use it properly.

11 hours ago, davidge said:

The second bit, yes. You only need to get an extension if you want to stay beyond June. 

As for the first, you'd need to check with someone who's done it recently. Things can change! You may need to report address within 24 hours, then again after 90 days.

100% correct. If you come back friday evening go to imigration first thing monday morning.

And if you adress is not same as before make the paperwork too.

Do that, otherwise penalty!

17 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Just ignore the 90 day extension posts. That is an O type Visa. You have a multi entry O-A Visa that is valid for up to 2 years if you use it properly.

Or I suppose he could have stopped reading at Post # 60.  :Laugh1:

After that it just got messy......and still is getting.

2 hours ago, Edge said:

The M is what counts, you have a Muliti Entry and can go in and out as often as you like.

Furthermore, if you time your last re-entry right I believe you get a second year.

Whoever you spoke to you need to speak to someone else.

Edit - To be fair to the OP, his first words were " I am here on a 12 month non-immigrant retirement Visa...." so the confusion wasn't all his fault.

15 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Just ignore the 90 day extension posts. That is an O type Visa. You have a multi entry O-A Visa that is valid for up to 2 years if you use it properly.

Correct. I've just looked at my visa again and it says O-A. I caused my own problems here by listing it as non-immigrant O. This is a confusing process, to say the least. 

52 minutes ago, Edge said:

Or I suppose he could have stopped reading at Post # 60.  :Laugh1:

After that it just got messy......and still is getting.

Edit - To be fair to the OP, his first words were " I am here on a 12 month non-immigrant retirement Visa...." so the confusion wasn't all his fault.

That is exactly why I asked (and was ignored) if he had done the extension or was still on the Non Imm visa..  makes a shitload of difference ..............Bloody confusing when the bloke posting has no clue what his actual permission to stay is... AS usual  people come on here and talk about a retirement "visa". I am yet to see one of those things... more chance of sighting a unicorn I reckon.

28 minutes ago, dave01 said:

That is exactly why I asked (and was ignored) if he had done the extension or was still on the Non Imm Visa..  makes a shitload of difference ..............Bloody confusing when the bloke posting has no clue what his actual permission to stay is... AS usual  people come on here and talk about a retirement "Visa". I am yet to see one of those things... more chance of sighting a unicorn I reckon.

and he's got over 10,000 posts and hasn't worked it out yet   , 

9 minutes ago, dave01 said:

That is exactly why I asked (and was ignored) if he had done the extension or was still on the Non Imm Visa..  makes a shitload of difference ..............Bloody confusing when the bloke posting has no clue what his actual permission to stay is... AS usual  people come on here and talk about a retirement "Visa". I am yet to see one of those things... more chance of sighting a unicorn I reckon.

That's why I dropped out and then asked him to photo his visa but.........

..............yes he made things a lot worse by not clarifying.

Actually i think he really has got a Unicorn.....but he's not showing us it.   :rolleyes:

@worldpunter   ......and if you checked I'd bet quite a few of those posts were in visa threads.

Just now, worldpunter said:

and he's got over 10,000 posts and hasn't worked it out yet   , 

Yes, but I've never done a long-stay visa in all the years I've been coming here. Moreover, it seems as though I got wrong information at the Jomtien immigration when I was told that I needed to pay 3800 baht for multiple entry visa or my O-A would expire once I left LOS, even if I left during the 12 month period of the visa. That increased my confusion.  My original understanding was always that the 12 month visa was multi entry and that you needed to check in with immigration every 90 days, but the 90 day clock starts to run again from the date of entry if you leave and re-enter during that 12 month period.  From everything that has now been stated on this thread, that understanding was correct.

Sometimes you get the "wrong information" when you don't ask the right question....clearly...

....bit like this thread  actually. ...well you nearly did, but then you went off at every tangent thrown at you.

I think (just guessing) the person who gave you that answer wrongly assumed that they were dealing with routine address reporting for those on Extensions, and if you'd made it clear that you had a 'unicorn' the answer would have been different.
What I'm sure of is that if you'd applied for a Re-entry Permit you wouldn't have got one and all would have been clear.

4 hours ago, Oukiva said:

??? A "long-stay Visa" (OA) can only be obtained in your country, not in Thailand !

PS: You probably wanted to talk about Extensions...

No, you get an 'O' visa in Thailand then extend that each year. IMO easier than getting the O-A in your own country.

Either way works in the end though.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

My brain hurts!

At least some of the things I posted last night, while a substantial amount of red wine was being consumed, were correct. :Whistle:

Hopefully, the OP has some idea where he stands now - though I'm still not clear what he actually wants to achieve?

Stay a few months, go away for a few months, return for a few months, then just leave?? 

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

My brain hurts!

At least some of the things I posted last night, while a substantial amount of red wine was being consumed, were correct. :Whistle:

Hopefully, the OP has some idea where he stands now - though I'm still not clear what he actually wants to achieve?

Stay a few months, go away for a few months, return for a few months, then just leave?? 

He just wanted to do a 90 day report, as required for his Retirement Visa (a real one not an extension) but he ran into TM30 problems, which were solved when his Landlord went to Jomtien and filled the forms.

Pretty simple really.   :Laugh1:

11 minutes ago, Edge said:

He just wanted to do a 90 day report, as required for his Retirement Visa (a real one not an extension) but he ran into TM30 problems, which were solved when his Landlord went to Jomtien and filled the forms.

Pretty simple really.   :Laugh1:

Yes, but then he started asking about multiple entry permits and other stuff. Couldn't work out what type of visa, what stamps etc. I really should have left it until I was sober. 

The problem is that the Visa terminology is so confusing as the wrong words are used to describe them so many times. The best is to take a pic of your visa and post it. That way you should get the correct answer, but not always .  :ShitHappens1:

Good to see you have it all sorted now @Sexyfarangman :D

4 hours ago, Edge said:

Sometimes you get the "wrong information" when you don't ask the right question....clearly...

....bit like this thread  actually. ...well you nearly did, but then you went off at every tangent thrown at you.

I think (just guessing) the person who gave you that answer wrongly assumed that they were dealing with routine address reporting for those on Extensions, and if you'd made it clear that you had a 'unicorn' the answer would have been different.
What I'm sure of is that if you'd applied for a Re-entry Permit you wouldn't have got one and all would have been clear.

The manager of the place I'm staying was there with me and conversed with immigration official in Thai,  so the official knew I was there for a 90 check in. However, she volunteered the information about my needing to get a multiple entry visa for 3800 baht. I never thought to ask such a question because my understanding was that the O-A visa was multi entry. When I expressed shock, the immigration employee assured me she was correct. Hence the reason I raised the issue in this thread.

The real problem stems from the initial issue about my landlord not filing the TM 30 form. Had this been done, I would have been out of immigration right after my 90 day check in and none of these issues would have arisen. The initial problem I had ended up spiralling into another problem. But it turns out that the second problem never really existed. 

3 hours ago, davidge said:

Yes, but then he started asking about multiple entry permits and other stuff. Couldn't work out what type of Visa, what stamps etc. I really should have left it until I was sober. 

No, as mentioned in the previous post I never asked about it. Rather, the information was volunteered by the official.  

46 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

.................. she volunteered the information about my needing to get a multiple entry Visa for 3800 baht. I never thought to ask such a question because my understanding was that the O-A Visa was multi entry....................

I'd hazard a guess that over 90% of 90 day reports are by people on Extensions.
Proper Retirement Visas are, as Dave put it, like Unicorns.

Therefore (still guessing) she probably just gave you her stock answer and if you'd wandered over to the Re-entry Permit counter (especially having a Thai with you) you'd have got the correct information as soon as they looked at your Visa.

Archived