• Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! Opened yesterday!

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Basement of Royal Garden

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

No luck yet with the one on Thepprasit Road.  They all must hate Jomtien.

entrance is in front of royal garden beach road directly under sizzlers

20 minutes ago, chris2004 said:

No luck yet with the one on Thepprasit Road.  They all must hate Jomtien.

i emailed the fuckers a few times, they keep saying soon, for the last three years......time you my yearly message again methinks

Definately would be great if they made the one on Jomtien. I go to the one on Klang sometimes but it`s a bit of a hassle to drive through the city to do my shopping. Foodland Royal Garden is closer, but I hate parking my car at the shopping malls here, always full.

Wish Foodmart would pick up the glove, but the selection was as crap on Sunday as it`s been since I moved here.

5 hours ago, striderman said:

entrance is in front of royal garden beach road directly under sizzlers

Can you not get into RGP and so Foodland from the back, under the crashed aeroplane?  Of course it might mean walking all the way through RGP, but you'll get there eventually?

1 minute ago, SirL said:

Can you not get into RGP and so Foodland from the back, under the crashed aeroplance?  Of course it might mean walking all the way through RGP, but you'll get there eventually?

I 'think' you can walk down the ramp to the parking area and walk through that.

Just now, SirL said:

Can you not get into RGP and so Foodland from the back, under the crashed aeroplance?  Of course it might mean walking all the way through RGP, but you'll get there eventually?

i nipped in yesterday and there are 2 bits. the supermarket one side and a food court type place the other. there may be an exit from the food place but pretty sure there is not one from the supermarket side.

All good to know.  Thanks.  I'll be staying just near there at Avenue Residence next trip so I'm sure this Foodland will be helpful, as well as Villa Market.

The restaurant reviewed post 114 here http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/246899-your-favourite-places-to-eat-in-pattaya/?page=5#comment-4039721

Apparently open 24h, which will be handy

Foodland.jpg

Credit to Xylanic for photo.

I have now eaten twice from their Took Lae Dee menu. The first time I was there, it was in the afternoon of the opening day. What I guess were the Foodland owners with friends and family, and whoever needed to be bribed etc were hanging around for photo opps. 

When I was there on the opening day they had a very beautiful (young/female) violin player there entertaining the guests. It was busy and fun. The presumably new waitress messed up my order slightly, but there was an older guy listening who made sure it was correct in the end.

My second visit was Wednesday morning at around 8 am. I was the only guest... together with like 15 employees. Service was great this time.

The food tasted pretty much exactly like I remember from the Took Lae Dee in Soi 16 in Bangkok. I am happy that we have them here in Pattaya now; I think they will do great business!

Regarding the store assortiment: It is relatively small but still well-rounded. Where they do stand out is in fresh/imported cheeses from Europe. So much! Quite impressive. At least like 15-20 kinds of cheese in small 100-200 gram packages. I do remember that the price for AOP Gruyere was comparable to what I normally pay in Sweden.

4 hours ago, SirL said:

Apparently open 24h, which will be handy

Foodland.jpg

that door has to be into the basement car park area, so there is a way out other than climbing the 14 steps back to street level at beach rd

4 hours ago, striderman said:

that door has to be into the basement car park area, so there is a way out other than climbing the 14 steps back to street level at beach rd

Long time since I've been in the basement at Royal but surely there must be access to the store from parking without going up to Beach Road? If so, then you should be able to walk through the parking area from Second Road to get to the store? Not that you'd choose to go that way unless Royal was closed.

Memory may be faulty though. Don't think I've been down there since shortly after the place opened. 

Aeons ago!

1 minute ago, davidge said:

Long time since I've been in the basement at Royal but surely there must be access to the store from parking without going up to Beach Road?

that is the logical answer but this is thailand. when i checked out the store i forgot to look at the far end of the restaurant bit for a way to the car park but SirL's pic proves there is one even if it is via the restaurant

I'd usually be approaching Foodland from the Second Rd direction and I hope there's a way in from there, ie under the crashed aeroplane.  I guess (?) you have to walk 50-100 metres westwards from under the aeroplane, but whether that's at ground level through the shops, or at basement level through a car park doesn't worry me.  Apologies if my knowledge of the layout there is faulty, I don't know it well.

There is a simple little restaurant in the Villa Market, on the left as you go in.  Can anyone compare that and the one in Foodland?

If anyone wants to price-compare, a chunk of regular AOP Gruyere in the local Carrefour here in France would be about B700-1000 per kg.  The posh artisanal ones might be B1500/kg.  It's nature means that Gruyere would travel easily if chilled, not like the soft cheeses which mature and evolve quickly.  Gruyere is one of the more expensive regular cheeses, Comte is more the equivalent of Cheddar.

18 minutes ago, SirL said:

I'd usually be approaching Foodland from the Second Rd direction and I hope there's a way in from there, ie under the crashed aeroplane.  I guess (?) you have to walk 50-100 metres westwards from under the aeroplane, but whether that's at ground level through the shops, or at basement level through a car park doesn't worry me.  Apologies if my knowledge of the layout there is faulty, I don't know it well.

There is a simple little restaurant in the Villa Market, on the left as you go in.  Can anyone compare that and the one in Foodland?

If anyone wants to price-compare, a chunk of regular AOP Gruyere in the local Carrefour here in France would be about B700-1000 per kg.  The posh artisanal ones might be B1500/kg.  It's nature means that Gruyere would travel easily if chilled, not like the soft cheeses which mature and evolve quickly.

When Royal Garden is open (11am-11pm) the easiest way is to enter near the plane through the 'normal' entrance and walk right through on the ground floor to Beach Rd. Go out of the door near Sizzlers, down the steps to Beach Rd level, then down the steps again (under Sizzlers) to the basement. This seems the main entrance to the supermarket from pics I've seen.

The question is, what do you do when Royal is closed? If the car park stays open, and there's a way through to the supermarket from the parking (surely there must be? Someone needs to explore :-) then you could go down the ramp near the plane. Otherwise, you'll need to go down 13/2 or 13/3 and along Beach Road.

19 minutes ago, plahgat said:

Popped in this morning about 7.00Am for a few bits.The place is absolutely spotless and the staff have been well trained and very polite.fantantic addition to Patts central

Took Lae Dee Restaurant

Went in again today mid day for a lunch, and decided to "plunge" it with one of the most expensive farang dishes on the menu: Mix Grill at 216 baht including, beef, pork and chicken steaks, bacon and sausage with french fries, and a Lemon Shake.

When I read the menu it sounded like a big and filling meal, so I had some expectations,

even wondering if I would be able to finish it!:rolleyes:

Then the plate came in and my jaw just dropped!:o

I couldn't believe what I saw!

A small plate with a handful of french fries and some very small and thin slices of meat hidden under each other hardly visible, one piece of very thin crispy bacon and 1/3 of a sausage, a half tiny tomato and 1/3 of a corncob butter and some sauce!? WTF:unsure:

I downed it all in 3 minutes!

Still hungry like a wolf!

Taste OK, but nothing special.

Lemon Shake also very bland, no sourness or sweetness at all, tasted like saltwater only!

Price for what you got I thought too expensive!

For a quick snack or small lunch this place might come in handy as it is open 24 hours,

but for a filling meal I'll go somewhere else!

Cost:

Mix Grill 216 baht

Lemon Shake 53 baht

Total: 269 baht

Plahgat

Took Lae Dee 2.JPG

Took Lae Dee 3.JPG

When no money... she no give honey! 

That "mixed grill" looks like it was lost in translation. 

Archived