IGNORED

Dave's Cantina Mexican restaurant (muy sabroso)

11 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

It actually is walkable from South Pattaya which you can get to bus when the weather is fair and you feel like a really long walk. But that's my issue too. I would go much more often if it was easier to get to. 

From Pattaya Thai? I'm sure I would get lost and end up in one of those whore houses around there and forget about eating. 555

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WhiteThai said:

From Pattaya Thai? I'm sure I would get lost and end up in one of those whore houses around there and forget about eating. 555

Yeah, I understand. I know the area so it's easy for me. You can study a map and figure it out if you're motivated but I do understand being lazy and not bothering. 

If in Pattaya, your best bet is to jump a motor bike taxi and tell him Lion Bar. Just keep your eyes peeled on left hand side, cant miss the building. If you do get to Lion bar, you have gone too far. 

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

Not to be disrespectful, but if you had a better location you might get more business. I grew up on mexican food, absolutely Love it.  I think about going to your restaurant quite often, especially after reading this thread. But I stay in North Pattaya, no car, no bike, and your place is too far to walk to. So I guess I will never have the pleasure of trying your food, even though I want to.  

It's not disrespectful at all. A better location means more rent and more key money. The issue is would the extra business cover the increased costs including rent, key money, and extra staff.

If I become successful, it is indeed my intention to either move or even add a second location.

8 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

Not to be disrespectful, but if you had a better location you might get more business. I grew up on mexican food, absolutely Love it.  I think about going to your restaurant quite often, especially after reading this thread. But I stay in North Pattaya, no car, no bike, and your place is too far to walk to. So I guess I will never have the pleasure of trying your food, even though I want to.  

I understand what you're saying, i never ventured to Jims Burgers because of the location. However that is because in south pattaya there are so many other options. Not sure where any mexican restaurants are in north pattaya so if you want to try some there are quite a few options on this side of town, is it not as if you never cross Pattaya klang???

Spiciness is more than just heat (capsaicin concentration) on the Scoville scale.  It has to do with balancing flavors and Dave takes a lot of care to get it right.  If you like more heat,  it's easy to add it with a splash of hot sauce or a sprinkling of ground chili pepper.  Many, many people don't like or can't eat food with a lot of capsaicin heat and kicking things up a notch would exclude them as customers.  

Evil

devil.gif.86ae7debc932979bc179ea59a789b6db.gif

23a.jpg.244f571085843a1ba40e0fd5a21faf97.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dave's Cantina is closed for Thursday, October 26th to give my staff time in remembrance of His Majesty
King Bhumibol Adulyadej. We will be open Friday, October 27 as normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a very enjoyable meal ordered the chimichanga beef taco and chicken tortilla soup cannot fault it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave's Cantina now ranks as #23 out of 901 restaurants on TripAdvisor's popularity index  for Pattaya.  That's quite an accomplishment for a small Mexico-focused restaurant in a location that's a bit out-of-the-way and has only been open eight months. 

Of course,  it's a popularity index and not a quality index, so there can be some odd results.  The highest I've seen Dave's Cantina on the list is #19.

Dave's also does well on the five-bubble quality index with a top score of five, meaning excellent.  So to Dave, a big -funny-facebook-smile-facesmall.jpg.8b6e and default_Bravo1.gif.9590576ca3608feae0d39 

Well done, Dave!

Evil

23a.jpg.aeb5947d5d49f08f1a1a48065f2470bb.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Daves is doing well it seems. Good stuff.

A textbook case of the owner being 'on site' & keeping things under control. Not easy.

Too often, the culture here in Thailand will beat an owner into submission.

How long can he take it I wonder? LOL

• 6 months later...

Ate at Dave’s cantina a few nights ago. Feels like a Mexican joint as soon as you walk in. 

I am from Texas, so my taste leans towards that style of Tex-mex. not so much the Santa Fe/California style of flavors. But I do like to try different styles of food. 

‘I ordered the beef enchilada’s, which came with beans and rice. The sauce over the enchiladas was tomato based, which was different for me , rather than the normal red type of sauce you see in Texas. Not spicy, but very good flavor.

Rice was rather flavorful with small bits of fresh veggies, rather than a sprinkle of cumin as I usually see. 

But let me tell you about those beans !!!! First bite was......shit that’s got some kick. WATER !!!. Instead of the normal beans with a dollap of butter and salt/pepper, these bad boys will punch you in the face if your not ready for it. Yes I eat boring beans most of the time, but I like them. I’m not sure how many of you guys will like beans with a kick, but I have been thinking of them everyday since !!!

I also prefer ground beef, to shredded beef, it’s  just what I grew up with. But dam that whole plate got licked clean. After ordering a small bowl of chips to eat with the beans and rice I was in heaven. Or as some of my friends would say....”like a pig wallowing in slop”

As someone who is certified in eating Mexican food daily in the us. Even tho it’s different for me, it is spot on real Tex-mex that I would recommend you all try. I will be going back to try some different items from the menu.  It is a small bit out of the way and remember he closes at 9pm.

Also so forgot to mention, I chatted with Dave for about 30 minutes. Heck of a nice guy !!!!

• 6 months later...
43 minutes ago, jwdub said:

Unfortunately per Dave's Cantina FB page, today was his last day in business.

Thanks for the information. I failed to support this place because it was inconvenient for me to get there. Best wishes to Mr. Dave in his future endeavors.

Now I will say something cheeky. 

Dave's chicken tortilla soup was incredibly good. 

The new central Mexican rising star is Taco Taco off Pattaya Klang. I noticed their menu lacks good appetizers. Certainly nothing like that amazing soup.

Perhaps Dave might want to pay it forward and share his recipe with Elena at Taco Taco. That way his famous soup can live on here in Pattaya.

Just a thought. 

Very sad to hear this. Visited Dave's Cantina a couple of times during my last 3 trips and I agree with Kreggerz especially the chicken tortilla soup was fantastic. I'm certain if his restaurant was on a better location he would have done very well but Soi Regional Land is just to unconvinient to visit for most of us. I do wish Dave all the best in the future and thank him for the great food he served.

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

Too bad.

Dave ran a tight ship. Always delicious. Yea that soup was 'the kind.' 

I didn't go as often as I would have if he opened at noon and the location, off the baht bus route didn't help bring in the tourists. 

Good luck to Dave. 

Shame as I for one really enjoyed the placeSpotlessly clean great drinks & friendly staff, as said the soup was great. good luck to Dave in any future endeavors

On 08/04/2017 at 07:19, seetohey said:

I live in LA and this is welcome news.  Some days I'm just craving Mexican food, hell I'd love it if they opened a few Taco Bells there.

good news taco bell is opening in bkok this month and will be opening in pattaya.  if they can do similar to usa they will do very well imho.  very sorry to hear about Dave's I didn't even know it existed and would have tried it if I was aware... a lot of times it comes down to marketing as well as location...

1 hour ago, gimmesum said:

good news taco bell is opening in bkok this month and will be opening in pattaya.  if they can do similar to usa they will do very well imho.  very sorry to hear about Dave's I didn't even know it existed and would have tried it if I was aware... a lot of times it comes down to marketing as well as location...

Taco Bell is opening in Pattaya? Where? Not really into their fast food style food but would probably give it a try here.

6 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Taco Bell is opening in Pattaya? Where? Not really into their fast food style food but would probably give it a try here.

they are opening bkok in december and said they will soon expand to pattaya and Phuket... no idea where but for quick cheap mexican grub should be okay... the beef is so bad in thailand that the tacobell beef may just seem good lol

I make my tacos at home.  Not too bad. 

Chicken, green onion, tomato, cilantro, chilies, lime, salt, pepper, salsa, corn tortillas. 

EA8E812B-25D6-4325-AEF6-9A215FE6E9B5.jpeg

06F992F9-F636-4EE5-A494-E2B5486CA7BB.jpeg

Those look outstanding what time is lunch? I've never seen or heard of green onions in a taco but I'm a big fan of green onions and I'm going to try it next time for sure damn 5:30 in the morning and now I want tacos thanks for that :-)

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

58 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

Those look outstanding what time is lunch? I've never seen or heard of green onions in a taco but I'm a big fan of green onions and I'm going to try it next time for sure damn 5:30 in the morning and now I want tacos thanks for that :-)

Chopped, raw white onion seems to be traditional. I prefer the milder green onions.

I pick up the roasted chicken at May Sri Ruen and the tortillas and salsa at Villa Mkt.

Some spice like Cumin +  avacodo, corn, beans could be involved too.

7 hours ago, Soi7 said:

you are a brave man trusting a guy with the name "jiz" to make a taco with his special sauce!

On 30/11/2018 at 22:58, Kreggerz said:

The new central Mexican rising star is Taco Taco off Pattaya Klang. I noticed their menu lacks good appetizers. Certainly nothing like that amazing soup.

I was getting around to trying Dave's and looks like I missed the boat. I grew up on the Southwest side of Chicago and have spent a fair amount of time in Mexico. When in the Chicago burbs, I really enjoy the food at the Pepe's chain, even though it is a somewhat suburbanized version of Mexican food. I also loved the taco carts in the Baja.

Tex-Mex can be good, if it is done with fresh ingredients. I may try and get motivated one night and give Taco Taco a try.

I have read about Mike's and will pass on that. Any other ideas?, especially in the Jomtien area.

Incidentally, one of the best burritos I have ever had was at a Taco Bell. It was about 8 miles North of Tijuana in Chula Vista and they were definitely not serving up the standard fast food fare. I would stop in there when coming back across the border.

I go to Sue's on Soi 13/4 at least once a trip. It's not Tex-Mex, but at least for me, it's not bad. I'm not sure how often I'd go if I was still living down there, but as a once in a while treat (taste of home) I like it. :-) 

Archived