IGNORED

New Yamaha Aerox 155cc

ingo67

Decided my 2015 PCX 150 needed replacng.....

Went to my local Honda Scooter dealers, and gobsmacked to find they wanted 90,000 Baht for a new PCX, plus that gawdy orange plastic put me off too....

Bought an Aeorox Sport in blue for 66,000b out the door....

3 months on....

Smaller and easier round town that the PCX, more stylish (imho)...wider wheels / tyres make it more sure footed (the 140 rear tyre same size to most 250cc geared bikes).... The wide seat more comfy than the PCX....The gas shocks help smooth out the bumps...The Yamaha's engine smoother than the Honda's....

The Aerox's tank is small compared to the PCX's is about the only downside i can think of..

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided my 2015 PCX 150 needed replacng.....

Went to my local Honda Scooter dealers, and gobsmacked to find they wanted 90,000 Baht for a new PCX, plus that gawdy orange plastic put me off too....

Bought an Aeorox Sport in blue for 66,000b out the door....

3 months on....

Smaller and easier round town that the PCX, more stylish (imho)...wider wheels / tyres make it more sure footed (the 140 rear tyre same size to most 250cc geared bikes).... The wide seat more comfy than the PCX....The gas shocks help smooth out the bumps...The Yamaha's engine smoother than the Honda's....

The Aerox's tank is small compared to the PCX's is about the only downside i can think of..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'll be in Pattaya in September for 4 days (24.09  to 28.09) and would love to rent the new Aerox 155 for that timespan.

Is it readily available in town or am I heading for a world of pain to find one? I've found 2 only companies that might have one but they're already booked.

I'm more than happy to pay a premium price for it (up to 500 a day) as I really am curious about the bike.

Let me know if you have any tips.

Thanks!

On 15/06/2017 at 5:09 PM, Cerberus said:

Ok so I bought the R version in yellow, the added suspension, rated 200kg is a precaution as usually I ride alone, walked in the showroom at 1pm drove it away at 1.30pm.

Total cost 70k baht including the 2 year anti-theft insurance (as long as you still posses the two keys) + a couple of naff helmets, a jacket and plastic raincoat. (All crap).

Cheers Cerberus

I am looking at the same bike / model. Where did you buy from if you don't mind me asking? 70K for the R model (66.9K base?) including extras sounds like a fairly sharp out-the-door price.

6 minutes ago, GeeMan said:

Cheers Cerberus

I am looking at the same bike / model. Where did you buy from if you don't mind me asking? 70K for the R model (66.9K base?) including extras sounds like a fairly sharp out-the-door price.

Mityon Junction of Third road and Pattaya Tai. Looked at all three asked how much and how long to drive this away she told me the all in price and said 20 minutes. Gave me two cheap helmets and Jacket as I was leaving. 555

Just now, Cerberus said:

Mityon Junction of Third road and Pattaya Tai. Looked at all three asked how much and how long to drive this away she told me the all in price and said 20 minutes. Gave me two cheap helmets and Jacket as I was leaving. 555

Cheers buddy

18 hours ago, Cerberus said:

if you have a work permit, if no work permit you guys have to go to immigration first and get a residence permit for buying a motorcycle

thats a great place to buy

how are you liking your bike by the way

30 minutes ago, just hanging said:

if you have a Work Permit, if no Work Permit you guys have to go to immigration first and get a residence permit for buying a motorcycle

Kinda sorta. :-)  If you're here for a while, this is one of those situations where a Yellow House Book comes in handy. (a house book is a residence document, not an ownership document, so yes, you can indeed get one as a renter (first hand knowledge)) So no work permit, if you have a Yellow House book you do not need a residence certificate from Immigration, since you already have your non expiring "free" government residence booklet. 

As an aside, I bought my last bike using my Thailand (not a Thai person) pink ID card, which is also non expiring since I'm such an old guy. :-) I had a minor senior moment and forgot to bring my Yellow Book to the dealer, but my pink Thailand ID card is in the same plastic case as my two Thai driving licenses that is always in my pocket. 

As often as I seem to buy Scooters and motorcycles, the minor hassle of getting a housebook for foreigners has been well worth the time and money saved by not having to go to Immigration for a RC. YMMV. 

3 minutes ago, Garzan said:

Kinda sorta. :-)  If you're here for a while, this is one of those situations where a Yellow House Book comes in handy. (a house book is a residence document, not an ownership document, so yes, you can indeed get one as a renter (first hand knowledge)) So no Work Permit, if you have a Yellow House book you do not need a residence certificate from Immigration, since you already have your non expiring "free" government residence booklet. 

As an aside, I bought my last bike using my Thailand (not a Thai person) pink ID card, which is also non expiring since I'm such an old guy. :-) I had a minor senior moment and forgot to bring my Yellow Book to the dealer, but my pink Thailand ID card is in the same plastic case as my two Thai driving licenses that is always in my pocket. 

As often as I seem to buy Scooters and motorcycles, the minor hassle of getting a housebook for foreigners has been well worth the time and money saved by not having to go to Immigration for a RC. YMMV. 

houses are in company names or in thai names.   If they bike is in a Thai name the all good. If in a farang name and no work permit then a residence permit is needed.   You are the first I have heard of that didn't need one.  It is in your name and you have no work permit?

The ABS is tempting. Just after Songkran I locked the front wheel on my PCX and did a short slide on the pavement. I cracked a rib, and lost skin on my left knee, elbow, and shoulder, and had a good size ER bill that thankfully insurance took care of. I'm not sure if ABS would have saved me some skin, or that that damn Combi-brake cost me some skin, but I know on my bigger, heavier bike, the ABS is well worth the cost. It's got me thinking about ABS for my small bike riding. :-)

1 minute ago, Garzan said:

The ABS is tempting. Just after Songkran I locked the front wheel on my PCX and did a short slide on the pavement. I cracked a rib, and lost skin on my left knee, elbow, and shoulder, and had a good size ER bill that thankfully insurance took care of. I'm not sure if ABS would have saved me some skin, or that that damn Combi-brake cost me some skin, but I know on my bigger, heavier bike, the ABS is well worth the cost. It's got me thinking about ABS for my small bike riding. :-)

its not much more expensive

Just now, just hanging said:

houses are in company names or in thai names.   If they bike is in a Thai name the all good. If in a farang name and no Work Permit then a residence permit is needed.   You are the first I have heard of that didn't need one.  It is in your name and you have no Work Permit?

First hand knowledge here, so not something I heard about from a friend of a friend. I am here on a Retirement Extension to a Non-Imm O visa. My Toyota truck was financed new, and is in my name. Yellow book was fine. My CB500X was paid for in cash, my name, yellow book, no RC. The only bike I got with an RC was my PCX back before I got a yellow book. 

So, now you know a foreigner, not on a work permit but on a long stay visa who has purchased motor vehicles in his own name without a residence certificate. And if you read back in this thread, @Cerberus did the same thing with his yellow book. :-)

7 minutes ago, just hanging said:

houses are in company names or in thai names.   If they bike is in a Thai name the all good. If in a farang name and no Work Permit then a residence permit is needed.   You are the first I have heard of that didn't need one.  It is in your name and you have no Work Permit?

Oh, and to restate, Blue Housebooks for Thai's (and companies) and Yellow Housebooks for foreigners are ~residence~ documents, and not ~ownership~ documents. Not the same thing at all. 

1 minute ago, Garzan said:

First hand knowledge here, so not something I heard about from a friend of a friend. I am here on a Retirement Extension to a Non-Imm O Visa. My Toyota truck was financed new, and is in my name. Yellow book was fine. My CB500X was paid for in cash, my name, yellow book, no RC. The only bike I got with an RC was my PCX back before I got a yellow book. 

So, now you know a foreigner, not on a Work Permit but on a long stay Visa who has purchased motor vehicles in his own name without a residence certificate. And if you read back in this thread, @Cerberus did the same thing with his yellow book. :-)

without looking back I think he has a work permit.   I have always been asked for it, I have a house, a company, a car, two motorcycles with a book on each, and a retirement visa.   good on you if you got away with it

1 minute ago, just hanging said:

without looking back I think he has a Work Permit.   I have always been asked for it, I have a house, a company, a car, two motorcycles with a book on each, and a retirement Visa.   good on you if you got away with it

Then it may well be worth your time to get your own yellow house book in your name, (not company name) so you won't need to worry about anymore Residence Certificates from Immigration. :-)

yellow book pretty rare, doubt many have them so as I said, residence permit unless you are one of the very few

https://xpat.life/thailand/tabien-baan

Any foreigner living in Thailand (legally of course, with the correct long term visa and documentation) is entitled to request a yellow house book (You do not have to hold PR status. In fact, foreigners with PR are supposed to go in the blue book). However, many Amphur offices (where the house books are issued and administered) are reluctant or just plain unwilling to issue them to foreigners. . . but be in no doubt, the law is very clear that as long as you are legitimately living in Thailand, there is no legal grounds for them to refuse you a house book. Whatever the case, it takes months to process the application, even with the most willing Amphur staff, and there are many hoops to jump through.

you are a lucky man

Just now, just hanging said:

yellow book pretty rare, doubt many have them so as I said, residence permit unless you are one of the very few

https://xpat.life/thailand/tabien-baan

Any foreigner living in Thailand (legally of course, with the correct long term Visa and documentation) is entitled to request a yellow house book (You do not have to hold PR status. In fact, foreigners with PR are supposed to go in the blue book). However, many Amphur offices (where the house books are issued and administered) are reluctant or just plain unwilling to issue them to foreigners. . . but be in no doubt, the law is very clear that as long as you are legitimately living in Thailand, there is no legal grounds for them to refuse you a house book. Whatever the case, it takes months to process the application, even with the most willing Amphur staff, and there are many hoops to jump through.

you are a lucky man

They are pretty common in Udon. Most of the expats I know have one of their own. The pink ID cards are fairly common too. Back when @furryman was living in an apartment on the Darkside, he got himself a Yellow Book for is apartment room. 

4 minutes ago, just hanging said:

yellow book pretty rare, doubt many have them so as I said, residence permit unless you are one of the very few //

you are a lucky man

Agree. I made 3 visits in 2008 at the Pattaya office, because each time they were asking for new documents (absolutely unneeded). At the last visit they told me it was not worth to come back because - as a farang not married to a Thai - they would not give me a YellowBook... :unsure:

I know that things have changed a bit because I know guys who managed to get one about 4 years ago, but for me it has not worth the hassle...

2 hours ago, just hanging said:

I have a yellow Tabian Baan and therefore a pink ID card. Either was fine to purchase a bike and a little while ago a pickup.  Prior to that I use to collect a LR from soi 5

Then it may well be worth your time to get your own yellow house book in your name, (not company name) so you won't need to worry about anymore Residence Certificates from Immigration. :-)

What can the yellow house books be used for? And how much? Residency certs are only 300 baht and quick and easy to get. Rarely need one. For driving licence and when i buy a bike.

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What can the yellow house books be used for? And how much?

In Pattaya I think they are rarely useful. Only usage I know is when you buy a car or bike. This is local regulation, but Jomtien Immigration insisted that a Certificate of Residence is required when opening a Bank account (if no WP) or when getting a Driving Licence. A YellowBook should be free though.

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What can the yellow house books be used for? And how much? Residency certs are only 300 baht and quick and easy to get. Rarely need one. For driving licence and when i buy a bike.

It is useful for anything you would have needed to spend the time going down to Immigration and paying for a Residency Certificate for. And the Yellow book is good until you move house, unlike a Residency Certificate. Up to you if you would find that worthwhile or not. For me, I don't plan on moving anytime in the foreseeable future, and the Yellow Book wasn't all that challenging to get, so it's worth it to me. (Besides, I seem to have a bike buying addiction, so it's handy for that.)

So, would it be worth it to just get your Yellow Book out of your room/house safe when you needed it (for free) or would it be easier to travel to Jomtien and pay 300 baht, and maybe wait for the next day when you needed a Residency Certificate? Only you can make that call.

I asked the village headman to come down with me, and tipped him 1000 baht for his time, but the book itself from the government office was free. I think I recall @Furryman doing his book in Nong Prue all by himself. 

It is useful for anything you would have needed to spend the time going down to Immigration and paying for a Residency Certificate for. And the Yellow book is good until you move house, unlike a Residency Certificate. Up to you if you would find that worthwhile or not. For me, I don't plan on moving anytime in the foreseeable future, and the Yellow Book wasn't all that challenging to get, so it's worth it to me. (Besides, I seem to have a bike buying addiction, so it's handy for that.)

So, would it be worth it to just get your Yellow Book out of your room/house safe when you needed it (for free) or would it be easier to travel to Jomtien and pay 300 baht, and maybe wait for the next day when you needed a Residency Certificate? Only you can make that call.

I asked the village headman to come down with me, and tipped him 1000 baht for his time, but the book itself from the government office was free. I think I recall[mention=26954]Furryman[/mention] doing his book in Nong Prue all by himself. 

You should write a mini guide on how to get a yellow book. I did one for getting a driving licence

Recently joined the Aerox club, upgraded (well, "changed") from a Honda Click. Click was going great and I have had no problems with it, but it is 2.5 years old now so time to get a new bike while its still in good condition. Was attracted to the Aerox for its looks and the bigger engine, plus the rigid body would mean a better riding experience.  My findings so far:

Positves over the Click:

* Smoother ride, not as harsh over the bumps or shitty road surfaces. 

* Better acceleration due to the bigger engine (though the Click is no slouch getting off the mark)

* Larger underseat storage area 

* LED console display is nice, can track fuel economy and have a trip counter. 

* Looks... where the Click is an attractive bargirl, the Aerox is a Sapphire/What's Up/Baccara drink slut who doesn't go with customers because she is so good looking. Very sexy machine.

* Don't have to pop the seat to get to the fuel cap

* Bigger tyres, more area in contact with the road is always a good thing.

* Top of the range model has the keyless start, this is a great feature! Also, better brakes. 

Negatives compared to the Click:

* Because it's not a full step-through, you have to lift your leg over the centre part (though it's not very high, but people with bad mobility issues might have trouble)

* Click has two small open compartments either side of the steering console to store small things. I have found this really handy for putting a bottle of water or my phone when I have the GPS enabled trying to find a place, easy to put it out and check. Aerox has a latch operated flap which is very small and poorly designed - not really big enough to hold anything. 

* No hook!! Yes, I know you can add one, but the hook on the Click is in the perfect spot. Those who have one will know what I'm talking about. 

* Click has a better riding position (for me anyway). Ideally you want your arms to be at 90 degrees so they are relaxed. I find with the Aerox I can't get this - sitting forward my knees hit the storage thing mentioned above and I still have to reach forward and extend my arms to get to the handlebars. This is really annoying, not only an ergonomic problem but a potential safety one (90 degrees arms means your forearms are relaxed, having to extend your arms puts tension in the muscles...not what you want when you might have to react quickly) and probably the biggest gripe I have... as long as I am riding the Aerox, my knee will always be in contact with that thing. 

* Lower seat. When taking a girl on the back, they can mostly get off unassisted. The shorter ones I just tilt the bike a bit before they get off and they can manage to get down. Aerox seat is signifigantly higher, Just Hanging already mentioned having to help girls get up onto the back. Obviously doesn't affect the rider and maybe this is a plus point though, more play time :) 

* Click is noticeably more nimble (obviously because it is lighter)... just a quick flick of the hips and it always responds beautifully. The Aerox is bigger, this heavier and takes a little more time and effort to manoeuvre. Nothing wrong with the Aerox manoeuvrability, it's just not as responsive as the Click (nitpicking here)

* Price (base model is about 12K more than top of range Click)

* With the Aerox, you now have a "big bike", congratulations - parking may cost more. 

So that's my comparison to the Click, some good things and some not so good. As this point I kinda think I should have just got a new Click, but maybe in time I will get more used to the Aerox and find ways to get around the negatives. BUT I would really suggest if you are going to buy this bike, do what I didn't do and hire one for a couple of days to see if it's for you. 

On 7/8/2017 at 11:20 AM, Garzan said:

I disconnect combi brake on all my bikes it is a joke and dangerous.  

Archived