IGNORED

New Yamaha Aerox 155cc

ingo67

On 4/19/2017 at 9:25 AM, just hanging said:

only the top one has that.   get the blue middle range one, great bike, fast, great storage, they only downside is no hook and that can be added

one thing, if you have two farangs on it then it does bottom out, if they are big. Mine did last night but still okay.  My friend added heavy spring shock option for 4,000 baht, which I will now do.  girl on the back no problem

I thought the mid range version had an upgrade on the shocks?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smashed my shoulder a while back and went on riding my then PCX. Wife sold it to stop me riding with one hand but my arm is now mobile enough to use both hands and am looking at the Yamaha, just deciding which version. So if anyone bought one and can give an considered opinion it would assist me.

Is there any point in the ABS, PCX never had that and was ok when needing to stop swiftly.

The middle version appears to have a gas assisted rear suspension is that good enough for two farang or should just buy the base bike and add upgrade suspension.

Not bothered by the stop and go, had it on the PCX and never used it.

Going to buy a bike in the morning having looked around today so any comments on pros and cons welcome. 

I'm also thinking of getting this bike.   I like the top of the line version for the keyless ignition and ABS.  

The auto stop/start looks interesting although a friend rented a PCX and got stuck on the dark side with a dead battery due to using it.  I wonder if it's any better on the Aerox as something I read (can't remember where) said that they have the starter motor directly drive the engine for more efficiency (could be a bad understanding of the Thai so maybe I'm wrong..).   

I notice that when you turn on the Aerox it shows the battery voltage.  If you used the auto stop start could you use the battery voltage as an indication that you're starting to wear out the battery and it's time to disable the auto stop/start until  the voltage increases back to a safe level?

i just sold my old pcx and i am looking at the yamaha,i like the wider tyres and slim profile(i kept on looking for bigger parking spaces and slowing right down when lane splitting on the pcx) other pros are 4 valve head(you can get even more acceleration with an aftermarket variator)  and the abs can be handy to stop loosing the front end(in some cases).i prefer the R model without idle stop and the keyless start(less things to go wrong)but would lose the abs which saved my ass on my triumph in oz a few times. the price of the pcx has gone up 10k from last year for some reason(mityon monopoly?) so you could save about 20k getting the aerox.ps i noticed mityon has a few of the pcx 2013 model brand new at 68k,i wonder where they got them.

On 6/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, MalcolmT said:

really ?   i thought in the same price bracket ? .peoples comments have changed my opinion on the bike.might even sell my yr old pcx and get one .i will go have a look. 

I dumped my PCX, just too bulky.   My new one is really really great, fast and you can cut in and out when you need to, PCX really couldn't.    If I had a new PCX I would trade is straight up for this.  I have many friends who have one and they all love it

Thanks for replies and to JHanging for PM. I am on my way to buy the bike when I finish at the Devils Den at noon.

I have decided on the R version which is the middle one, truly cannot be bothered with the stop start feature of the ABS version and although the auto start appeals, in truth it is just something else for me to lose. I have never been in a situation during 14 years where the ABS would have helped and the PCX managed fine breaking without it.

Have no idea of colour so will see what it comes in when I get down there. Been on a PCX since they first came out so will write an honest opinion in 48 hours time. 

blue and silver R does it for me,you are probably right abs on a 116kg scoot is not a deal breaker.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Thanks for replies and to JHanging for PM. I am on my way to buy the bike when I finish at the Devils Den at noon.

I have decided on the R version which is the middle one, truly cannot be bothered with the stop start feature of the ABS version and although the auto start appeals, in truth it is just something else for me to lose. I have never been in a situation during 14 years where the ABS would have helped and the PCX managed fine breaking without it.

Have no idea of colour so will see what it comes in when I get down there. Been on a PCX since they first came out so will write an honest opinion in 48 hours time. 

my friend that got the top model is not crazy about the start thing.  middle range rules

Ok so I bought the R version in yellow, the added suspension, rated 200kg is a precaution as usually I ride alone, walked in the showroom at 1pm drove it away at 1.30pm.

Initially found it somewhat small in comparison to the PCX, kept trying to stretch my legs out a bit more than you actually can, not a big problem adjusted to it within a few minutes. It is without doubt more agile than the PCX and felt lighter. (Have no actual idea if it is or not).

My only complaint to date is the seat, the storage space is a + and at last I can lock my FFH away and not carry it with me. The seat though could be slightly higher for my liking and perhaps on one level be that inclined. I will have to look around for someone that makes them and see if I can get sorted. 

The wheels make it feel really stable and over-all my first few hours driving around town have been a pleasure. I do not know how the dimensions match up to the PCX but it feels far more maneuverable. 

Total cost 70k baht including the 2 year anti-theft insurance (as long as you still posses the two keys) + a couple of naff helmets, a jacket and plastic raincoat. (All crap).

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Ok so I bought the R version in yellow, the added suspension, rated 200kg is a precaution as usually I ride alone, walked in the showroom at 1pm drove it away at 1.30pm.

Initially found it somewhat small in comparison to the PCX, kept trying to stretch my legs out a bit more than you actually can, not a big problem adjusted to it within a few minutes. It is without doubt more agile than the PCX and felt lighter. (Have no actual idea if it is or not).

My only complaint to date is the seat, the storage space is a + and at last I can lock my FFH away and not carry it with me. The seat though could be slightly higher for my liking and perhaps on one level be that inclined. I will have to look around for someone that makes them and see if I can get sorted. 

The wheels make it feel really stable and over-all my first few hours driving around town have been a pleasure. I do not know how the dimensions match up to the PCX but it feels far more maneuverable. 

Total cost 70k baht including the 2 year anti-theft insurance (as long as you still posses the two keys) + a couple of naff helmets, a jacket and plastic raincoat. (All crap).

Thanks for the quick feedback. How tall are you? Good to hear you adjusted pretty quickly, but is it comfy for those over 185 cm?

16 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Thanks for the quick feedback. How tall are you? Good to hear you adjusted pretty quickly, but is it comfy for those over 185 cm?

There must be some guys out there who meet that criteria, with my limited experience I would say you need to look at both. At 5' 10" I am certain now that providing I can get my seat changed to suit me I will be happier with the Yamaha, flexibility, mobility, maneuverability all come down in its favour. For me I just want to sit slightly further back than at present. Remember though I have only had it 7 hours :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

There must be some guys out there who meet that criteria, with my limited experience I would say you need to look at both. At 5' 10" I am certain now that providing I can get my seat changed to suit me I will be happier with the Yamaha, flexibility, mobility, maneuverability all come down in its favour. For me I just want to sit slightly further back than at present. Remember though I have only had it 7 hours :rolleyes: 

Thanks for the reply. I am 187 cm, but will try to rent one to get a feel. I am sure it will be OK. I really like the look and the feedback so far has been great.

When you go into buy a bike, do you need cash? Or can you use a credit card? Or thai bank card?

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When you go into buy a bike, do you need cash? Or can you use a credit card? Or thai bank card?

If buying in your own name you will require your passport and either a letter from immigration at Soi 5 regards residence or as in my case my yellow Tabian Baan book was fine. I paid cash as cash is king in Thailand, in the past my lass has put down a deposit via her CC but many places will charge you the 3% bank charge.

I believe with the right paperwork as a Farang you can pay a substantial deposit and then monthly payments. Thais can pay something stupid like 5k baht and get the rest on credit. 

15 hours ago, Cerberus said:

the seat is pretty high, all the girls that get on the back need help getting up.  If you want to do something with the seat, there is a place that covers them and you can all all the padding you want.   threpprasit road, jomtien side of the street, about sol 8 or so.  You will see lots of seats hanging in front

the only problem is there is no hook and you need to get one installed, easy

13 hours ago, rhodie said:

I am 6', my friend is 6'3, neither of us have a problem with the height

1 hour ago, just hanging said:

the seat is pretty high, all the girls that get on the back need help getting up.  If you want to do something with the seat, there is a place that covers them and you can all all the padding you want.   threpprasit road, jomtien side of the street, about sol 8 or so.  You will see lots of seats hanging in front

the only problem is there is no hook and you need to get one installed, easy

You are right regards the height overall, I should have been more specific 99% of the time I am alone and I would as a personal preference rather sit a little further back which the rise in the seat does not allow. 

I will stop by where you suggest and see what they can do. It is not a deal breaker though, Had to hit Sukhumvit this morning to lead the VIP bus to get new boots all around and the bike was excellent. Far better mobility than the PCX.

Just now, Cerberus said:

You are right regards the height overall, I should have been more specific 99% of the time I am alone and I would as a personal preference rather sit a little further back which the rise in the seat does not allow. 

I will stop by where you suggest and see what they can do. It is not a deal breaker though, Had to hit Sukhumvit this morning to lead the VIP bus to get new boots all around and the bike was excellent. Far better mobility than the PCX.

that place will make it look like anything you want, take a picture of what you want and give it to them

I bought the top of the line Aerox.  While I had a perfectly good Nouvo
I justifed the purchase as being a safer bike to ride.  Motorbike riding
in Pattaya in inherently dangerous but that doesn't mean you shouldn't
take steps to reduce the risk.
I see the version of Aerox I bought has three big advantages over the Nouvo:
the fatter tires for a bigger footprint on the road, 155 vrs 125 for
better acceleration to join traffic or pass vehicles, and ABS which is
something you hope you never need but when you do it it's great to have.

I liked the keyless ignition.  The last two cars I bought had that feature
and it was just so convenient to never deal with keys.  Also I feel
it makes the bike less of a target for thieves.

I was worried that I would never get a good explanation about how the
keyless version worked and that worry was justified. The salesman
and mechanic could not explain the system to me in English.  They
knew enough to get the bike started and stopped but I don't know if
they really understand it that well. One told that I need to
use the button the keyfob to get the bike to lock the handlebars.

I haven't seen anywhere online a description of the system in English
so I wrote the one below.  It's based on my experience only and
could have errors so if anyone has anything to add or correct let me know.

The keyless ignition system consists of two items: a key fob and a switch.

20170617_232912.jpg.3cf7b4c36cb346152d8821f1f4e66f9a.jpg20170617_133932.jpg.00fdb04fc64fb21c5e42c22ac2944fee.jpg

The key fob has a single button and a red led.

The switch has the same positions as the normal with-key ignition system:

On - Open - Off - Locked

In the Open position you can press the Fuel or Seat buttons to access
the named object.
In the Locked position the handlebars are locked.

When rotating the switch you may encounter a LOCK which will require
the motorbike to verify the key fob is nearby (within 80 cm) before
you can continue rotating the switch.

If you are turning the switch clockwise there are two locks
at these positions:

Locked - LOCK - Off - LOCK - Open - On

Turning counterclockwise direction there is one lock

On - Open - Off - LOCK - Locked

To pass through a LOCK you press in the switch which causes the
bike to emit a weak signal looking for the key fob which if in
range will return with its secret code number.  If the code number
is correct an amber light will light up on the bike's display panel
and you'll hear a click.  All of the LOCKs will unlock for about
5 seconds so you can twist the switch at will through one or both LOCKs.

So typically when you're going to take a ride on the bike you
approach the bike and the switch is in the Locked position.
You press in the switch and you hear a click immediately as the
bike has detected the key fob in your pocket. You twist the switch
through the Off and then stop at Open.  You open the seat to
access your helmet.  You put on the helmet, sit on the bike,
raise the kickstand and turn the switch to On.
You start the engine and off you go.

When you're done riding you turn the switch to Open and the engine
stops. You get off the bike and press the Seat button to open the seat
and then you put your helmet away.
Then you turn the switch to Off, press in the switch to have the bike
verify you have the keyfob, and then twist to the switch to the Locked
position.

So they've designed it well. Minimum bother to the driver and you keep
the keyfob in your pocket.  

But what about the button the keyfob?  What's up with that?
You can use that button to turn the ignition system off.
A long press on keyfob will cause the red led to blink and
the ignition system will switch states: if it was on it will turn
off and if it is off it will turn on.

What I've described above is the behavior with the ignition system
on.  If the ignition system is off then pressing the switch in
will not send out a signal to find key fob and you'll end up
no being able to twist the switch.
If the switch is in the On or Open setting you can't turn off the
ignition system, it has to be in the Off or Locked setting.
Thus with the ignition system off you cannot run the bike.

But what is gained by turning the ignition system off?  The only
advantage I can think if is it means that some stranger can't
drain your battery by repeatedly pushing in the switch to cause
the bike to seek the key fob.  Is that really going to happen??

Is there any more power used by the the idle ignition system
when it's turned on or off?  In both cases the ignition system has to
listen for a message from the key fob so even if off the ignition
system is using power.   I'd be curious if anyone has measured the
current draw of the ignition system in the off and on states.

So basically I see no reason to even touch the key fob.
It just stays in my pocket and I leave the ignition system on
all the time.

Other features:
If you have the switch set to On or Open and walk away from the
bike with the key fob the bike will start beeping.  
It's like the bike is warning you that you left your
key in the lock as you walk away (I've done that a few times in my Nouvo
when I got distracted).

Another feature of the keyfob button is that if you give in a quick press
the motorbike will blink some lights and emit a loud beep.
This is useful to find your bike if you're the forgetful type.
I'm not sure of the range.  I did a test in my garage and the farthest
distance I could test was 13 car parking places away and it worked just fine
and the beep could be heard.

One problem I faced initially is that switching from Off to Locked didn't work
for me. Sometimes it would get stuck half way.  I'd bring over a
mechanic and he would twist from Off to Locked effortlessly.
What I didn't see right away was that the mechanic would
put his hands on the handlebar and as he twisted the switch
he would slightly move the handlebars while moving it to locked.
Of course I did that on my Nouvo all the time but I'd forgotten that as
this switch system seemed so different than twisting a key.

On 4/21/2017 at 1:44 PM, gimmesum said:

hey for now just put a 90 size on the front and 100 on the back and your airblade is reborn as a scaled down aerox 

yes does look like an airblade 

On 6/15/2017 at 8:47 PM, Cerberus said:

If buying in your own name you will require your passport and either a letter from immigration at Soi 5 regards residence or as in my case my yellow Tabian Baan book was fine. I paid cash as cash is king in Thailand, in the past my lass has put down a deposit via her CC but many places will charge you the 3% bank charge.

I believe with the right paperwork as a Farang you can pay a substantial deposit and then monthly payments. Thais can pay something stupid like 5k baht and get the rest on credit. 

Yes, the "credit virus" has finally made it to Thailand.

Where can we get the REPOS in a few months???

so cerberus, how do you like the bike?

On 6/18/2017 at 0:01 AM, piloter said:

One problem I faced initially is that switching from Off to Locked didn't work
for me. Sometimes it would get stuck half way.  I'd bring over a
mechanic and he would twist from Off to Locked effortlessly.
What I didn't see right away was that the mechanic would
put his hands on the handlebar and as he twisted the switch
he would slightly move the handlebars while moving it to locked.
Of course I did that on my Nouvo all the time but I'd forgotten that as
this switch system seemed so different than twisting a key.

Thank you, this solved the one problem I have been having and almost broke the key trying to lock it.

4 minutes ago, just hanging said:

so cerberus, how do you like the bike?

My view hasn't changed, I have now added some 89km all in town traffic and find the mobility/agility far superior to the PCX.  I know who was sold my PCX so I asked them to let me jump on it again for a quick run. After the Aerox it was a bit like steering my armchair around town, longer, more comfortable but zero agility. 

The lass had wanted me to buy a Forza, I am glad I stuck to my original plan as I feel safer riding the Aerox. Still need to get down and check those seats out :rolleyes:

Just now, Cerberus said:

Thank you, this solved the one problem I have been having and almost broke the key trying to lock it.

My view hasn't changed, I have now added some 89km all in town traffic and find the mobility/agility far superior to the PCX.  I know who was sold my PCX so I asked them to let me jump on it again for a quick run. After the Aerox it was a bit like steering my armchair around town, longer, more comfortable but zero agility. 

The lass had wanted me to buy a Forza, I am glad I stuck to my original plan as I feel safer riding the Aerox. Still need to get down and check those seats out :rolleyes:

cool, I always worry when recommending something, but this is a great bike and the PCX feels like a tank compared to it

Decided my 2015 PCX 150 needed replacng.....

Went to my local Honda Scooter dealers, and gobsmacked to find they wanted 90,000 Baht for a new PCX, plus that gawdy orange plastic put me off too....

Bought an Aeorox Sport in blue for 66,000b out the door....

3 months on....

Smaller and easier round town that the PCX, more stylish (imho)...wider wheels / tyres make it more sure footed (the 140 rear tyre same size to most 250cc geared bikes).... The wide seat more comfy than the PCX....The gas shocks help smooth out the bumps...The Yamaha's engine smoother than the Honda's....

The Aerox's tank is small compared to the PCX's is about the only downside i can think of..

Archived