Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Sunday special?

farastein

30 minutes ago, SirL said:

Yes, but the dialogue on this site tends to be at the sub-B300 price point.  I'm very happy to go up to ~B500 and frequent the likes of Tsunami Sushi Buffet, Oishi, Yamato, Hilton Edge, but that isn't where the bulk of guys here are.

I like mini "proper restaurants" like Freelax, Rinapp, Taverna del Passatore, El Greco, even Deli Diner, and I haven't been to The Bite, but they are not relevant to this Sunday Special thread.

I wasn't referring to more expensive places. The point I was making was specifically about this thread & Sunday roasts etc at the 250-300 baht price point.

People rave about a buffet, or getting a huge plate of food, when the actual quality is very poor. I'd much rather get a smaller portion of good meat and properly cooked decent veg for the same price.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, davidge said:

People rave about a buffet, or getting a huge plate of food, when the actual quality is very poor. I'd much rather get a smaller portion of good meat and properly cooked decent veg for the same price.

Have you tried Maggs?  If not you should give it a go.  Perhaps it's what you're looking for?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3170426-Reviews-Maggs_Restaurant_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Not heard of it before.

Location would put me off.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

Not heard of it before.

Location would put me off.

I thought you were a Jomtien condo kind of visitor?  What's wrong with the location for you?

It's fairly popular on Tripadvisor.

1 minute ago, SirL said:

I thought you were a Jomtien condo kind of visitor?  What's wrong with the location for you?

Too far up Thepprasit to comfortably walk, no proper baht bus route there, won't use mototaxi.

Basically means using a taxi (min. Fare on Grab is 170 baht) or Uber each way.

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

Too far up Thepprasit to comfortably walk, no proper baht bus route there, won't use mototaxi.

Looks to me to be about 300 metres up Thepprasit from the easy baht bus.  Is that too far?  If so, sorry, not much I can suggest.

6 minutes ago, SirL said:

Looks to me to be about 300 metres up Thepprasit from the easy baht bus.  Is that too far?  If so, sorry, not much I can suggest.

It looks to be slightly further up than TW Condo. Walking back from there to the Continental Bakery last trip left both myself & a friend completely soaked through. Not the most pleasant walk either.

In terms of distance, I'd walk much further along the beach etc during the day but when going out of an evening (which is when I eat) I really don't want to get soaked through on the way to eat, and again after the meal when getting back to a baht bus if I can help it.

It would certainly be worth an Uber if the place is good. I'll put it on the list for next time. Location would mean it is unlikely to become a regular place though.

Actually, I was just thinking the other day that I haven't really settled on a regular 'go-to' restaurant in Jomtien yet. Would need to be very close to where I stay, comfortable to eat in, serve decent food and be not too pricey. Fawlty Towers was it when I used to stay on Soi 8. 

Both the Pig & Whistle and Hemingways are too expensive and don't serve good enough food. I'll have to try a few more places next time.

3 hours ago, davidge said:

I wasn't referring to more expensive places. The point I was making was specifically about this thread & Sunday roasts etc at the 250-300 baht price point.

It's funny watching people at buffets, it's like a competition to see who can pile the most food on their plate, and then leave the most.

i always eat what I take, and if I am still hungry, I get some more.

my mother is Ukrainian, not cleaning your plate while growing up or wasting food would result in something catastrophic.

I thought the Sunday roast at Sportman's soi 13 was the best I've had in a while. Includes lamb at 425 baht.

2 hours ago, davidge said:

It's definitely walkable from Tappraya.

36 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

It's definitely walkable from Tappraya.

Not 'comfortably walkable' - at least, not by my measurement scale :P

2 hours ago, kahoy said:

I thought the Sunday roast at Sportman's soi 13 was the best I've had in a while. Includes lamb at 425 baht.

It has to be a quality meal for that price.

and  a quality meal with good food doesn't come cheap.

you get what you pay for, gogo gals don't hang out on bush mountain!5555

1 hour ago, davidge said:

Not 'comfortably walkable' - at least, not by my measurement scale :P

Well, it would be an absurdly short Uber ride. One or two minutes. 

16 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

Well, it would be an absurdly short Uber ride. One or two minutes. 

Not from whatever condo I was staying in!

4 minutes ago, davidge said:

Not from whatever condo I was staying in!

I meant from the intersection of Thapparaya and Tepprasit where you can get off the baht bus.

I think you're doing pretty well if you can avoid ever walking 300 metres as you do your thing around town day and night in Pattaya. 

IMG_7153.thumb.JPG.21ed7936136f0599f03769d5a7be4bde.JPG

11 hours ago, SirL said:

Many people don't have a big appetite in midday heat (or hot countries).  They eat more when it's cooler.

Thanks. It's news to me since I live in south Florida and have lived in Mexico,Thailand and Honduras. Maybe it's a UK thing!!! :D

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

12 hours ago, davidge said:

Too far up Thepprasit to comfortably walk,

It's just a few 10s of yards. No distance at all.

11 hours ago, weblo said:

It's funny watching people at buffets, it's like a competition to see who can pile the most food on their plate, and then leave the most.

Only at the cheap buffets. This rarely happens at the good ones. For example, I quite often go to Bangkok for lunch at some of the big hotels. Price is usually around 1000-2000B after discounts but wastage is uncommon and people behave themselves. Food quality is several steps up from anything I have had in Pattaya, including the Mantra and other big hotels here.

9 hours ago, mirko07 said:

I was at Robin Hood tavern on sunday for their special sunday carvey and I did not liked

I had the plated Sunday lunch there the same day with several friends. We all found it fine.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Only at the cheap buffets. This rarely happens at the good ones. For example, I quite often go to Bangkok for lunch at some of the big hotels. Price is usually around 1000-2000B after discounts but wastage is uncommon and people behave themselves. Food quality is several steps up from anything I have had in Pattaya, including the Mantra and other big hotels here.

You haven't been to big hotel buffets in china, have you?

14 hours ago, SirL said:

Yes, but the dialogue on this site tends to be at the sub-B300 price point.  I'm very happy to go up to ~B500 and frequent the likes of Tsunami Sushi Buffet, Oishi, Yamato, Hilton Edge, but that isn't where the bulk of guys here are.

Few places offer a traditional Sunday lunch at that price here. Even in the UK that would be quite expensive.

I regularly go to places that cost 1500B or more, and also places that cost 100B, and I've been to all the places you mention, but none of them do a proper Sunday lunch at those prices. For me a correct price for Sunday lunch here would be somewhere between 150B and 350B, with carvery style places coming in at top end of course. More than 350B for a Sunday lunch carvery here would be rather overpriced, unless they include imported meat which few do.

Archived